The Angus Halogen Vape by YLL Vape

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Aaah okay I thought you and shay meant that plate lol. So that's the thing that holds the balls in place then, right?

I Imagine if it had less metal surface in the screens and with a glass wpa that bypasses the oring it could make a great difference to those sensitive to flavor impact.
The plate above the balls is part of the chamber, that's a stay in place thingy (tech term) but the same screen as the wpa, the thick ghost mv1 screen, can be pryed outta there with some elbow grease. You probably wouldn't need the mesh after that but just keeps things a little cleaner in there

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Aaah okay I thought you and shay meant that plate lol. So that's the thing that holds the balls in place then, right?

Oh, no haha you are confused again, as Shay said above, we're only talking about that screen they put in the chamber, once you remove that you have just the chamber on its own, so you can put your own mesh screen there instead (like right now I keep trying to put the mesh screen above it but it's slightly too small and keeps moving in the chamber when I empty) That make sense?

I Imagine if it had less metal surface in the screens and with a glass wpa that bypasses the oring it could make a great difference to those sensitive to flavor impact.

Yeah otherwise I had been talking about the mouthpiece section, and WPA, metal part with holes that connects to the white plastic in the top, aside from the vapor passing over that o-ring there, I think that metal kind of ruins the experience for me, even if you take out that inner "punched" screen (just like the one that is in the bottom of the chamber) from the other side of the mouthpiece/WPA

Zow237

Hey guys! Hope all is well here. I picked one of these up when @VGOODIEZ got them. The vape in hand is def heavy. This I don't really mind though. Feels well-made and vapor is plentiful, I had some really terpy GMO from my home grown and damnnnn it was very tasty. Boost mode is a plus. I can vape a bowl in 3-5 nice rips. If you want to make it a session you can and if you just blast off a bowl really quick, you can as well. I like the open draw. For me a I have scalene issues which in tune I have rib issues. The mighty was too restrictive for my liking and this is just perfect. I am a fan of this and will be putting it through the ringer. I will report back after more testing. I took the screen out of the cooling unit and used the screens I was using for my mighty. way better than those punched screens :)

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Tried closing the air intake completely and pulling through the bowl with no lid mf the leak in the airpath is there still. Does anyone else have this happening?

I'd try blowing instead of pulling, this way with your other hand you might try to locate from where the air escapes.

Reminds me the good old days when some manufacturers told us "this time it's isolated don't worry" and then we blew into the things and asked "but then why does air escapes from the USB port and around the buttons, weren't the electronics supposed to be out of the air path?!".

Hope it's not the case here. Also hope you really did not dislodge something inside with your drop test for the team, mate haha!

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
Thank you Vgoodiez! Got it quick like most everyone else. I've enjoyed some ghost train Haze thru it. I liked the flavor and density of vapor. Do not use the capsules, significantly changes the experience to a more wispy vapor. At this moment I've only tried wpa.
20221113-070959.jpg

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I'd try blowing instead of pulling, this way with your other hand you might try to locate from where the air escapes.

Reminds me the good old days when some manufacturers told us "this time it's isolated don't worry" and then we blew into the things and asked "but then why does air escapes from the USB port and around the buttons, weren't the electronics supposed to be out of the air path?!".

Hope it's not the case here. Also hope you really did not dislodge something inside with your drop test for the team, mate haha
Still leaks but there's a noticeable change in draw resistance when I accidentally cover the intake holes. it's not an airtight seal though. It seems to be probably enough to isolate the airpath though. It isn't science however so idk.

sickmanfraud

Of course it would raise the price. But, when you have to buy the batteries from another place...you are still buying the battery and shipping costs are added. So...we are paying the same...and inconvenienced. It's like buying a car and not getting an engine.

It is more like buying a new car and having to fill the tank by yourself. Or plug in your Tesla.

Shit Snacks

I don't want to clutter this thread, but if anyone is interested I posted some more about my latest use and thoughts here in this thread (with more comparison freedom) Anyway still breaking it in I think, more with my glass mouthpiece connection system!

Thank you Vgoodiez! Got it quick like most everyone else. I've enjoyed some ghost train Haze thru it. I liked the flavor and density of vapor. Do not use the capsules, significantly changes the experience to a more wispy vapor. At this moment I've only tried wpa.
20221113-070959.jpg

Wow is your WPA painted black??

leanpubpackage

First Impressions: I am very impressed. It’s like a more tame and refined desktop ball vape experience. The vapor is smooth, fluffy, and as many others have said, flavorful. For a first vape device, I think YLL did a fantastic job and got 80% of what vape enthusiasts want, right.

My steps to get started: I took everything apart and soaked in ISO. While everything was apart, I replaced the punched screen in the CU and WPA with a mesh screen. I did 4 burn off sessions at max temp. There is definitely a robo fart smell (almost identical to the healthyrips devices) as I was doing burnoffs and through my first few bowls, but it eventually goes away.

Pros:
  • Value. I love how the unit came with a case, dosing capsules and an extra glass MP (things I would have purchased separately anyway). Given that it does not come with batteries, I think the WPA should have been included.
  • Great vapor through the CU. It’s not the most dense vapor, but the hits are very satisfying. The only way I would describe it is that it’s the same mouthfeel as if you were hitting a B0 dry through a J hook, but less overwhelming. I think it has the right amount of air restriction
  • The unit feels sturdy overall, but I have minor gripes about the smaller parts that I will mention in the cons list
  • The magnets are very strong and snaps on nicely. It’s a great loading and unloading experience
  • With the WPA through water and with enough preheat (2-3 mins) of the balls, the thing RIPS
Cons (nitpicky):
  • The battery door threads aren’t the smoothest and can be finicky since the battery is spring loaded. I worry about the longevity. It’s also tough to swap batteries out in between bowls (easier if you use the dosing caps)
  • The CU is tough to navigate and take apart and the plastic that the screen attaches to isn’t the sturdiest
  • The body, especially the metal ring gets pretty darn hot, but I guess it comes with the territory of a powerful session vape
  • With batteries, the device is heavy, and the wood is smooth and slippery. I am nervous that if I drop it, the plastic in the body will crack
Cheers
I continue to be impressed by the angus. there's 0 robofart taste with the body now, but still has the silicone/plasticy taste with the CU. The flavor is actually unreal using it dry through the WPA (since there's no plastic or silicone in the WPA). I'm not trying to over-exaggerate, but I have been able to taste terps with the Angus that i haven't been able to with my other devices.

Additionally, you can hack the "boost" feature. What the boost does is turn the bulb on until it hits a slightly higher temp before turning back off. however, if you draw while holding the button (and it's still blinking), it prevents the device from reaching the full boost temperature since you're drawing in cool air, effectively keeping the bulb on and giving you monster hits. I've been able to get pretty dark ABV without combusting.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Actual factual review below (in my opinion)

I’ve had this thing since last Tuesday and have had several bowls a day since I got it. I beat the hell outta this thing. It comes with the case, brush, a refresh for all your screens, o-rings, and even an extra mouthpiece. It came with a tiny s&b type brush for cleaning and a lil doob tube with 2 dosing capsules. I love the case. It makes the device much more portable. You can shove extra batteries, the doob tube full and the brush in with the angus and the case won’t really leak smellable smell with this setup.

Durability: It’s fallen on my carpet floor and the pavement on my back porch (from chest height mind you) and it is still trucking. I’m sure that’s far more than anyone would intend to put it through.

Battery life: 4-6 bowls per charge but I never run mine down all the way. You could squeeze 7-8 out of it if you are ok with running the batteries dead. I charge extrnally but it can charge via USB-C for anyone looking for a more streamlined experience.

Workflow/UI: easy easy easy. 3 clicks to turn on and it’ll show the battery life on the 5 lights. One click will move from showing the battery to actually start a session and it’ll display the temp. It takes about 1-1.5 min. To get to temp. Each click changes temp and holding the button activates boost mode. Filling the bowl is very mighty like, as expected. It’s a bit easier to keep clean without the plastic lip to deal with. The magnetic lid is great as well. My only gripe, and I didn’t think I’d care, is having to touch the top of the mouthpiece to open it.

The vapage OF herbs: vapes very evenly as seen here:

I’ve put out an Angus and a dynavap bowl next to eachother. You can see that the Angus bowl is about 3-4 times as large as a dynavap. I like to do hemp with a pinch of herb on top as a microdose but it’s a big bowl. It’s very even avb though and it can get quite dark, as seen here.

The vapage FROM herbs: Tastiest vapor I have right now. Yea I love my vapman and b-0 but this is far more intense than a vapman and flavor lasts much longer than a b-0. Leads me to believe that this is a very efficient convection device since those terps aren’t super burnt off in the later hits.

Cleaning: it took about 15 min. It’s not as simple as the mighty but I’m not a stickler with these cooling units. I do a good several hour iso soak then rinse with steaming hot water and let dry overnight. The included screens aren’t the best so the airflow opened way up after cleaning. I think some regular mesh screens would do this unit justice. I’m trying to figure out a way to get a mesh screen attached between the bowl and cooling unit so I won’t have to clean as often. I’ll keep y’all updated.

Dosing capsules: very tight draw. Definitely need mesh screens inside for a good experience but once they’re there, they’re there.

A talk about materials: yes there’s plastic and silicone in the airpath. And there’s a 3M sticker in the cooling unit but not direactly in the airpath. These materials are present in the medically certified minivap airpath and do not get anywhere near their rates operating temps so they’re assumed to be safe. The maker has also been VERY open about the internals, even posting a tear down photo on their Instagram so they are transparent and seem trustworthy. There’s no degradation of flavor from these materials except maybe the first couple of heat cycles with the silicone. It goes away very quickly.

Fun comparisons:

Mighty: Overall I think this vape ticks the same boxes the mighty does while also solving some of its gripes (not getting hot enough, being ugly, plastic mouthpiece, harsh/dry vapor, no flavor, non-removable batteries, aluminum heater) at a much more reasonable price point for what it is.

Tinymight: apples to oranges. I, personally believe the Angus and the Tinymight are the best session and on-demand portables respectively. The Angus is capable of some big hits but not with the same ease as the tinymight. It needs much more herb to do it and you’ll have a few clean up hits at the end. All after waiting 2 min for it to heat soak. The TM could have finished the bowl before the first big hit of the Angus. The TM, on the other hand, while it has a session mode, I find it unpleasant. The flavor is gone after that first hit, unlike the Angus which has unnaturally long lasting flavor. And in a session on the TM, that cooling unit gets hot and stops cooling rather quickly. I find the TM can do about 3-4 hits max before I gotta let it cool off while the Angus can pull 10-12 TASTY hits from a bowl.

ALP: ALP has denser vapor with more flavor on your initial hits but the vapor isn’t as consistent through the whole bowl and the flavor deteriorates faster than the Angus. It’s also much more intuitive UI with less of a user friendly design operating design (due to the lid). Vapor wise, the ALP is between the Angus and the TM in my opinion. Not as many hits as the angus, not as tasty, but not as fast as the TM either.

Overall, great vape with the main drawback being that it's a dedicated sessions device with some maintenance required for optimal performance.

RAG

So I just had a long conversation with Mike from @YLLVAPE OFFICAL. Super nice and amicable man. He just doesnt have the time to be on here. All the bad talk on here is causing him bad sales, so thought I'd clear some things up for him :)

CE - The CE mark is real and we have been able to verify this! (go back a few pages and look it up yourself if you're in doubt)

Materials/Schematics - Yll offical even has provided basic schematics with materials used and how the airpath works (go back a few pages and look it up yourself if you're in doubt)

Solder/Temp sensors - I brought up the solder again in our conversation and he mentioned that they use Sn99.3Cu0.7. Lead free solder. The points are only soldered on the vapes circuit board and no solder is present in the airpath. From the circuit board the temp sensors that are soldered on the circuit board are routed up to the airpath through silicone to prevent air intake from the electronics.

CU- has a 3M sticker beneath the magnets, these stickers have been investigated by myself for example and operating temp for long use of these stickers 260C is well below these limits, the vape only reaches 220C. The stickers offgassing seem to be very good aswell. Id like the magnets to be a friction fit, but there are always things we'd like improved on our vapes. The CU also has silicone in the airpath, but to be honest most vapes have this ie Mighty or even the ALP for example. Although the CU is something that can be changed very easily by the manufacturer if they'd like to so I dont see it being an issue tbh.

Plastic - only uses medical grade plastic (ie Mighty, ALP and so fourth..). The plastic is untreated and has no coating. He's very confused over the reports about plastic taste as none of his test units have produced it. I´m sure that he'd appreciate feedback from users over insta or email. But he isnt leaving it at that, he's investigating with his supplier and engineers. Just that shows what kind of man this is in my opinion.

Hope this clears up peoples questions and doubts, we really have gotten the entire device internals explained now and as far as I can see there are no issues with this build! What are your thoughts?

Ps he has a desktop unit in the works.. ;)

Last edited:

someTooL

Finally get to use a piece from the grasshopper :cool:

Beast mode like this without using glass. Seen elsewhere, filled the WPA with 4mm rubies, removed the stock screen and added a mesh.

Edit: side note, air path is COMPLETELY closed off by covering the bottom intake like this.

Last edited:

FearAndLawyering

it didnt clear anything up tbh. I find him to be evasive to the questions, he sees them and only half answers stuff. this goes back months and months to when I asked about the patent. afaik he hasnt disclosed the patent number yet. the 'teardown' he posted doesnt show any of the parts people are concerned about. the CE mark is present on the device in the testing lab so it appears it was going to be on the device regardless of the test result - some of these companies just pencil whip the tests and everyones approved anyway.

the maker doesnt have access to cannabis, the device is obviously designed by someone who doesnt use it. why are there so many day 1 mods on a device that people have had in hand and testing for months. it seems like some specific criticism would've launched a stronger product. another vape where people are probably going to be sitting and waiting for a v2

does it lose the isolated airpath after a drop?

RAG

it didnt clear anything up tbh. I find him to be evasive to the questions, he sees them and only half answers stuff. this goes back months and months to when I asked about the patent. afaik he hasnt disclosed the patent number yet. the 'teardown' he posted doesnt show any of the parts people are concerned about. the CE mark is present on the device in the testing lab so it appears it was going to be on the device regardless of the test result - some of these companies just pencil whip the tests and everyones approved anyway.

the maker doesnt have access to cannabis, the device is obviously designed by someone who doesnt use it. why are there so many day 1 mods on a device that people have had in hand and testing for months. it seems like some specific criticism would've launched a stronger product. another vape where people are probably going to be sitting and waiting for a v2

What do you mean that his doesnt clear anything up? Every single question has now been answered?

Okay so now its about a patent..? What difference does it make if there is a patent or not in reality? Maybe he tried applying for the patent and realized it costs to much or was too complicated to finish for a small company (like many small companies). I really dont have the details regarding this so it just speculation but there could be a million reasons for there not existing a patent.

No he does not have access to cannabis, but to herbs which is probably what he's testing with. Seems like a lot of people are really satisfied with the unit. There has only been a handfull of negative comments as far as I've seen and I read the whole thread. Well we're in a vaporizor forum that consists of mostly people that are really into vaporization so i dont see day 1 mods as a strange things just as a natural thing in a forum like this.

Considering doing a teardown video of the unit once I get my unit.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus

It does not lose its isolated airpath. The extra resistance from the screen was making it difficult to tell. After a good cleaning, it is very obviously well isolated.

FearAndLawyering

> What difference does it make if there is a patent or not in reality?

because it fits the pattern of advertising something that isn’t true. it’s listed as ‘patent approved’ so if it’s actually ‘patent abandoned’ then it’s a lie. but it’s such a small easy thing to clear up.

similar ball park - the notion of repairs on these devices. why is the manufacturer putting the liability on the vendors to fix them? when the xbox red ringed they didn’t make best buy fix them

Goatts

'the maker doesnt have access to cannabis' ...... This struck me as quite incredible ...... as to how the maker could design such a wonderful herbal thermal extraction device without having access to the herbs it will be primarily used with during the design and testing phase of the device. It would be like designing and building a race car without a race track and fuel to properly test the car and get the critical feedback to improve the design. How'n hell am I supposed to build and learn how to play a guitar without any strings? Voodoo stuff?!!? Makes me realize how important (critical) feedback from users must be to the maker going forward. Therefore, an encouragement here for users to provide feedback on the Angus, both good and bad. I suspect you won't hurt the makers feelings, even with seemingly trivial complaints. Always more to be learned from the negatives than the positives ... it seems. Praise is appreciated I'm sure and warranted I'm certain.

After consideration ... Access to the magic herb is probably best answered via the black market (like everyone did before legalization). Usage of the herb in China is as old as the herb itself. Get it from Granny or grow your own (for science). Kinda like home stilling the moonshine to fuel your super secret rocket race car

Last edited:

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

the CE mark is present on the device in the testing lab so it appears it was going to be on the device regardless of the test result

The CE marking on the device is the faux "China Export" style that doesn't go through the certification process. My assumption is that the faux CE marking is less controversial in China. The CE marking on the lab result is the legit one though. But then id hope and expect they'd start flashing that legit marking on their devices asap, especially the ones designated for EU market.

some of these companies just pencil whip the tests and everyones approved anyway.
This all seemed pretty regulated and certified.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
The CE marking on the device is the faux "China Export" style that doesn't go through the certification process. My assumption is that the faux CE marking is less controversial in China. The CE marking on the lab result is the legit one though. But then id hope and expect they'd start flashing that legit marking on their devices asap, especially the ones designated for EU market.
Yeah. This is exactly the thing. YLLVAPE is very forthcoming with partial information but never answers the actual question. So we are left to guess. Why the fake CE mark? You offered so good theories but we have no idea. Same goes for the missing parts of the tear down. And even the patent question.

They don't have to answer anything, but they are not being as transparent as people claim.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Yeah Mike told me on IG he kinda wasn't anticipating this many questions :p and they are busy with the launch of course. I agree they could be more forthcoming wrt some issues that have been mentioned to give complete transparency.

If it has some imperfections, be it big or small, I'd rather find out through transparency (after being inquired) from the company than from
consumers who have to open up their unit or have to delve into patent and certification databases to find answers.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,
Reactions: Grass Yes

Shit Snacks

Yeah Mike told me on IG he kinda wasn't anticipating this many questions

Yeah they are really par for the course with a new device on FC from a new manufacturer especially when mass produced this way...

Does he run the main YLL page? Feel free to message me, if I should be emailing him or trying to contact him there, if they really are interested in my feedback for the ineffective mouthpieces and WPA (not sure how much they can help remotely about the yucky tastes I experience inside the unit as well)

Last edited:
Top Bottom