Tafée Bowle

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thought it would be. If it was glass I would actually use it. But I wouldn't mind just getting rid I guess.

I mean you don't need to just get rid of it, it still has some value even being plastic, it's been discussed here a variety of reasons why they went with plastic... they had been promising glass drinkware to become available for a long time before though

Cacahuates

Is the cup glass or plastic? Would this vape still be worth the outlay for someone with no intention to use the cup?
I wonder if most users use the cup. I use it almost always without. Maybe with a glass cup I'd use it more.
It's a cool feature but it adds an extra step.
Is this thing splash proof?

Cacahuates

Lots of us are holding out hope for a glass cup
The cup is just an added bonus. Perhaps to normalize the vaping taboo to an acceptable social activity like drinking.

The instant, cool, tastey vapour this thing is capable of is what makes it. For me it's leagues above the v1 and probably any other portable. There have been a lot of great portables released in the last year or so and the V2 has shelved everything for me.

It's vapour is fantastic with no heat up time. The battery last long enough for my use between charging. It's reasonably easy to clean. It doesn't look like a meth pipe or have a bunch of red hot balls over a bong (nothing against that, I just need something more low profile and simplistic at this stage of my life).
Also the consistency and simplicity of the it (v1 too) is something Tafee has done exceptionally well.

Personal I don't like drinking out of plastic. I plastic cup will not replace a can or glass of ice cold cervaza.... 🤤.

RedZep

Been reading and watching videos about this thing. I get it now. It's literally the best electronic portable available. You just need to look past the gimmick.

The elegance of the ceramic cup and stem system is great. Having 8 cups with screens means you won't have to clean very often.

Seems airflow is not restrictive? I think I'll be picking one up in the future for sure.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I get it now. It's literally the best electronic portable available. You just need to look past the gimmick.
"Best" is gonna be debateable...
But, yeah, right up there.
Draw is more open than most, though there is some slight restriction.

I don't see the cup as a gimmick, more like a nice option that most will choose to do without. Fun to use on some occasions!

I would like to see a lite kit sold, with just a puck and stem, one pot.

budweis

Comfortably Numb
Been reading and watching videos about this thing. I get it now. It's literally the best electronic portable available. You just need to look past the gimmick.
It’s perfectly fine you have no use for the cup but calling it a gimmick while a lot of people seems to enjoy it is kinda disrespectful man. Bowle is so cool because of the different use cases. Let it be what it is, not what you want it to be :)

Dr. G

***Old Resident*** Vapman Collector
I use my Bowle everyday and every way...I love using it for my ice tea, water...it is divine outside. I LOVE IT! While I am inside...I get some cubes and pour some Hennessey. Super nice. Glass would be a nice option also to have. Vape stays nice and cool...

RedZep

It’s perfectly fine you have no use for the cup but calling it a gimmick while a lot of people seems to enjoy it is kinda disrespectful man. Bowle is so cool because of the different use cases. Let it be what it is, not what you want it to be :)
How many plastic cups do you have in your cupboard to serve drinks? Until it's glass it's a gimmick imo. Drinks taste awful in plastic, that's why no one does it unless it's some kind of camping cup. Most in this thread admit to not even using the cup. If this isn't a gimmick, what is?

I didn't mean to disrespect it. I also said it seems like the best electronic portable. So despite my misgiving, I'm clearly giving it plenty of respect.

budweis

Comfortably Numb
How many plastic cups do you have in your cupboard to serve drinks? Until it's glass it's a gimmick imo. Drinks taste awful in plastic, that's why no one does it unless it's some kind of camping cup. Most in this thread admit to not even using the cup. If this isn't a gimmick, what is?

I didn't mean to disrespect it. I also said it seems like the best electronic portable. So despite my misgiving, I'm clearly giving it plenty of respect.
None, but not sure how it’s relevant. Yea, I would very much love a glass cup. But I still have use for it in the state it is. And there is a few people in here using it as well.

But again, don’t get me wrong, I get your point but it’s YOUR point. My POV is completely opposite. Each to their own, right? So why call it a gimmick in general when it’s gimmick to you and yea, probably most of the folks in here. But not for me. And based on the Tafeé marketing, there is a lot of people outside FC enjoying the damned piece of plastic as well :)

In the end without the Bruno’s drinking vessel philosophy there wouldn’t be any Bowle at all.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Of course you can have opinion on the cup.
I would say that there is a wide range of things we call plastic, for one thing. Some may even pass the taste test. Again, a matter of your preference and experience.

I think the use of the word "gimmick" may just be a poor choice. It implies that the maker put it there to attract attention, sales, hype, whatever. That is definitely not the case with Bruno, the inventor. I believe the original idea was to be able to take a sip before your hit, to moisten and prepare your mouth and throat for the heat. Other users have found that with a cold drink in there it actually cools the vapor passing thru the stem. And so on...

RedZep

Of course you can have opinion on the cup.
I would say that there is a wide range of things we call plastic, for one thing. Some may even pass the taste test. Again, a matter of your preference and experience.

I think the use of the word "gimmick" may just be a poor choice. It implies that the maker put it there to attract attention, sales, hype, whatever. That is definitely not the case with Bruno, the inventor. I believe the original idea was to be able to take a sip before your hit, to moisten and prepare your mouth and throat for the heat. Other users have found that with a cold drink in there it actually cools the vapor passing thru the stem. And so on...
Yeah I can see that actually. Sorry for word choice.

Corvoed

Farm Grower
Idk about you guys, but my drinks taste just fine in the bowle cup. Like, I obviously prefer the feel of glass, but uhhhhh, I'm probably not gonna notice a taste difference drinking some shit like kool-aid or whatever out of an acrylic cup over glass. It's just gonna taste like the drink either way.

Some mighty sensitive taste palates out there

RedZep

Idk about you guys, but my drinks taste just fine in the bowle cup. Like, I obviously prefer the feel of glass, but uhhhhh, I'm probably not gonna notice a taste difference drinking some shit like kool-aid or whatever out of an acrylic cup over glass. It's just gonna taste like the drink either way.

Some mighty sensitive taste palates out there
I can often taste it. But I won't know until I get the Taffe Bowle. If I don't find the cup usable, I don't think it would bother me. However if glass ever does get released it would be a big plus.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@RedZep I haven't tried the revised Bowle 2 but I wrote this a few years ago while demoing the original Bowle, regarding issues with producing the cup in alternate materials.

I was thinking the same thing about a glass cup - the angle of attack for attaching the cup to the puck seems like it could shear easily with glass and fracture/crack if you "wiggle" it on or off, as I tend to do with the plastic cup.

I wanted to build a prototype mug for bowle, but I realized quickly the main problem with ceramic is its opaque, so you wouldn't see the lighting system for feedback.

ChooChooCharlie

Bruno designed a glass cup attachment before launch, had a few produced

This model is holding one, and this pic has been on their site since 2020

Note the transition point where glass is fused to a silver colored "grip" surrounding the puck

sweater-holding-glass-bowle-cup.jpg

Bruno kindly offered me one at launch, 2020, but told him honestly that I wouldn't be drinking from the Bowle. Probably hurt his design philosophy feelings. Think both Jerry and Zoticus have one? They could "weigh in" on the weight issue perhaps

I have a suspicion that prototyping cycle and actual production may have been too costly to roll out? Only Bruno knows

Edit: Looking at that picture again, picturing how potentially dangerous it might be ... weight of liquid with added glass weight, and if you're holding it by that glass, ... only the friction strength of the puck's silicone gasket is holding it all together

My 2 design cents -- Remake that silver gripper ring into a cup shape to friction fit "cradle" the puck, slot at bottom for air intake, edge extends up 1/2 inch beyond puck height, with internal threading -- to mate with a threaded glass tapered bottom of the glass cup (picture mason jar threading, but at base of glass cup) The threaded connection should be enough to securely hold everything together. The real bitch is the cost to produce custom glass with repeatable dimensions, ... yeah, right, consistently dimensioned glass in small production runs, ha ha ha

Second edit - my 2 cents idea sucks -- glass threads on glass cup base would need to be precisely placed, so that the indent for the aluminum stem lines up perfectly after tightening. It can be done with a mold I suppose, but threading must be perfect on glass and receiving ring. Note to self: stop trying to think during covid isolation, veg and vape instead

Last edited:

RedZep

Bruno designed a glass cup attachment before launch, had a few produced

This model is holding one, and this pic has been on their site since 2020

Note the transition point where glass is fused to a silver colored "grip" surrounding the puck

sweater-holding-glass-bowle-cup.jpg

Bruno kindly offered me one at launch, 2020, but told him honestly that I wouldn't be drinking from the Bowle. Probably hurt his design philosophy feelings. Think both Jerry and Zoticus have one? They could "weigh in" on the weight issue perhaps

I have a suspicion that prototyping cycle and actual production may have been too costly to roll out? Only Bruno knows

Edit: Looking at that picture again, picturing how potentially dangerous it might be ... weight of liquid with added glass weight, and if you're holding it by that glass, ... only the friction strength of the puck's silicone gasket is holding it all together

My 2 design cents -- Remake that silver gripper ring into a cup shape to friction fit "cradle" the puck, slot at bottom for air intake, edge extends up 1/2 inch beyond puck height, with internal threading -- to mate with a threaded glass tapered bottom of the glass cup (picture mason jar threading, but at base of glass cup) The threaded connection should be enough to securely hold everything together. The real bitch is the cost to produce custom glass with repeatable dimensions, ... yeah, right, consistently dimensioned glass in small production runs, ha ha ha

Second edit - my 2 cents idea sucks -- glass threads on glass cup base would need to be precisely placed, so that the indent for the aluminum stem lines up perfectly after tightening. It can be done with a mold I suppose, but threading must be perfect on glass and receiving ring. Note to self: stop trying to think during covid isolation, veg and vape instead
Good points. I think that pic expresses what made me disapponted in no glass. Chinese speciality teas and coffee in general are another two of my hobbies. Would have been really cool to combine with cannabis vaporisation.

But yeah maybe it's just not feasible, or would make an already really expensive vape a lot more expensive.

ChooChooCharlie

@RedZep - Jerry pours his hot tea into the new improved Series 2 cup

Bruno told him they changed the plastic, so it can now withstand tea and coffee temps repeatedly

We know Jerry likes his tea :leaf:

-----

Edit: @RedZep, read your reply below. We're getting off point here I think? A thread in Ask FC or a materials safety thread instead?

Oh, BTW, saw your post above asking rhetorically "who would choose to drink from plastic?" -- I use a plastic drinking cup exclusively. Water, soda, booze. Got tired of slicing my hands on broken glass shards, as I'm uncoordinated and frequently inebriated. No longer the added strain, tension, apprehension "holding" glass. Perhaps my taste buds are unrefined, but I don't taste any difference. Still manage to stumble onto art glass, though

Last edited:
Top Bottom