Sticky Brick Labs Vaporizer

the_hexx

Team Hash
Hi all, I hate to bring this up again knowing that it has been discussed extensively here and on other forums, and in fact I have gone through countless posts to see if I can find a solution but to no avail.. so I am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong to get a lingering butane taste out of my Flip Brick.

I have the Flip Brick for about a year now; I don't use it a lot, the reason being that more often than not I get a weird chemical taste (definitely not the wood) that can be either very pronounced or just linger in the back of my throat. I can't put my finger on what that taste is, so I suspect it must be the butane?

I use Colibri butane, a bunch of different torches, and have tried all the methods described here to heat up the device but the taste appears at seemingly random times. I tend to place the torch quite far from the device, the outer tip of the flame barely kissing the intake so it's not a matter of the flame getting deep inside the intake.

Health concerns notwithstanding, it's driving me mad as I really want to enjoy this vape. Any suggestions on what might be the issue here will be appreciated!

Last edited:

Smokey McVape

Where is the custom mouthpiece from

Be warned after 2 bowls the beads stick together and restrict the air flow a lot and they tend to get stuck in the crimps that enclose them which also impedes air flow - I will be selling mine or giving it away as I can't be bothered to clean it after each use.

Smokey McVape

Hi all, I hate to bring this up again knowing that it has been discussed extensively here and on other forums, and in fact I have gone through countless posts to see if I can find a solution but to no avail.. so I am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong to get a lingering butane taste out of my Flip Brick.

I have the Flip Brick for about a year now; I don't use it a lot, the reason being that more often than not I get a weird chemical taste (definitely not the wood) that can be either very pronounced or just linger in the back of my throat. I can't put my finger on what that taste is, so I suspect it must be the butane?

I use Colibri butane, a bunch of different torches, and have tried all the methods described here to heat up the device but the taste appears at seemingly random times. I tend to place the torch quite far from the device, the outer tip of the flame barely kissing the intake so it's not a matter of the flame getting deep inside the intake.

Health concerns notwithstanding, it's driving me mad as I really want to enjoy this vape. Any suggestions on what might be the issue here will be appreciated!
I would check the lighter you use first. I have been using butane vapes exclusively since 2017, I use Colibri, Swan and Newport butane and have never, ever tasted butane whilst vaping. A quality torch lighter will burn all of the butane and leave to trace.
Next thing I would check is the O-rings.

the_hexx

Team Hash
I would check the lighter you use first. I have been using butane vapes exclusively since 2017, I use Colibri, Swan and Newport butane and have never, ever tasted butane whilst vaping. A quality torch lighter will burn all of the butane and leave to trace.
Next thing I would check is the O-rings.
I have used a couple of the Honest torches that come with it and a Vertigo Serpent knockoff; has happened with all three. I have a couple of Vapman torches which I may or may not have used with the Brick, next time I will use those.

The O-rings look and feel fine, no signs of any damage whatsoever.

Last edited:

Smokey McVape

I have used a couple of the Honest torches that come with it and a Vertigo Serpent knockoff; has happened with all three. I have a couple of Vapman torches which I may or may not have used with the Brick, next time I will use those.

The O-rings look and feel fine, no signs of any damage whatsoever.
Butane tastes exactly the way it smells so to be sure it is butane you're tasting just release some from the bottom of any given lighter, smell and compare.

coolbreeze

Maybe try another highly purified gas? I use Colibri (no probs) but maybe there's something about it that tastes funny to you?

coolbreeze,
Reactions: the_hexx

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
@coolbreeze You said a while back you had trouble visualizing the setup I had for the Flip, so here it is in all its absurd glory:
188ksz.jpg

I will say those titanium discs I ordered act wonderfully at diffusing the heat just enough that I can hit the Brick for long enough that I’m sure I’ve combusted but I have yet to even see a hint of black in my ABV. Very dark brown, yes. And the glass path may look ridiculous but the vapor ends up so utterly smooth and still flavorful. No burning feeling in my throat and I’m taking total lung buster hits.

The Runt is basically my perfect dry vape, and this is close to my perfect wet vape.

coolbreeze

@coolbreeze You said a while back you had trouble visualizing the setup I had for the Flip, so here it is in all its absurd glory:
188ksz.jpg

I will say those titanium discs I ordered act wonderfully at diffusing the heat just enough that I can hit the Brick for long enough that I’m sure I’ve combusted but I have yet to even see a hint of black in my ABV. Very dark brown, yes. And the glass path may look ridiculous but the vapor ends up so utterly smooth and still flavorful. No burning feeling in my throat and I’m taking total lung buster hits.

The Runt is basically my perfect dry vape, and this is close to my perfect wet vape.
That is glorious! Is the ashcatcher used as an extender to clear the brick? I had to try mine and it clears just fine, luck of the cheap-glass draw. May as well join you, I guess!
IMG-4216.jpg

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
That is glorious! Is the ashcatcher used as an extender to clear the brick? I had to try mine and it clears just fine, luck of the cheap-glass draw. May as well join you, I guess!
IMG-4216.jpg
I love that piece!

The herb catcher is serving a few functions. Additional cooling in the vapor path, acting as an actual herb catcher, and with both pieces stacked I can look down and get a completely unimpeded view of the heat intake. I can clear the bowl without issue when using only the bubbler but the herb catcher just adds a little boost on top of it.

coolbreeze

I love that piece!

The herb catcher is serving a few functions. Additional cooling in the vapor path, acting as an actual herb catcher, and with both pieces stacked I can look down and get a completely unimpeded view of the heat intake. I can clear the bowl without issue when using only the bubbler but the herb catcher just adds a little boost on top of it.
Nice. I was thinking of an angled joint/extender for mine but the perc wouldn't work very well tilted I don't think. That bent nipple on yours really helps make using it vertically a lot nicer, kind of like a sidecar.

Cage

If anyone has a old plenty try the cooling stem in a runt! You wont be able to see the draw like with glass but if you've used a brick enough to know your technic the old plenty stem does quite a good job cooling! Looks silly though lol -_-

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Does anyone know where I can get an alternative to this?

It's been out of stock forever and I don't even see it on stick brick website anymore.

Would like to use my stick brick with my thermal extraction contraption.

oddjobold,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Does anyone know where I can get an alternative to this?

It's been out of stock forever and I don't even see it on stick brick website anymore.

Would like to use my stick brick with my thermal extraction contraption.
I thought that DDave' ITEC was 18mm. Not sure if it helps but the Ed's TNT injector bowl fits in the intake side in my sticky bricks.

Actually so does the CouchLog glass bowl, if you need 14mm:
PXL-20221221-181542234-2.jpg
Off-topic for the thread, but I thought I would answer that.

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
Push down in the center with a small philips Head. either the sides will push up and allow you to grab one, or you’ll poke a hole in the center which will give you access to pull it out.

average_joe

Do you use the restrictor disk? I have felt a strong metal taste when putting the lighter too deep in the intake, might be that? I have been using the Max and Jr for a year now and I have no issues at all so far and I have asthma, I still worry about the use of butane a bit but non of my medical tests has shown any issues so far. I also use colibri.

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
What is the benefit of this? Extra cooling for the DV I guess? I suppose if you wanted to micro dose this might be more effective than putting a thin layer of herb on the SB screen. But you lose a lot of convection heating to conduction with a DV.

Meanwhile I'm now having an issue with my Runt where it's combusting within seconds. I haven't changed my torch or my technique. I have no clue what would be causing this. Anyone experience this?

Monk Debate,
Top Bottom