Sticky Brick Labs Vaporizer

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
I ordered these from Amazon based on a comment I saw on a Reddit post in the SBL subreddit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y3QRY5L?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_D97DS9ZR6D33SA8KYQZK

The idea is to place one in place of the restrictor disc and place 1-3 glass/ruby balls on it, then stack another disc on top, like a little UFO. This creates a mini ball heater. Figured the screens would come in handy even if that method isn’t amazing.

leanpubpackage

I ordered these from Amazon based on a comment I saw on a Reddit post in the SBL subreddit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y3QRY5L?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_D97DS9ZR6D33SA8KYQZK

The idea is to place one in place of the restrictor disc and place 1-3 glass/ruby balls on it, then stack another disc on top, like a little UFO. This creates a mini ball heater. Figured the screens would come in handy even if that method isn’t amazing.
This may take way from the instant on demand nature of the brick, which I enjoy the most. Let me know how well it works. Definitely intrigued

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
This may take way from the instant on demand nature of the brick, which I enjoy the most. Let me know how well it works. Definitely intrigued
I was thinking this might be a better solution for the Flip than the Runt, since the experience through water won’t have the same feedback as direct draw anyway and I’ve heard from many people that the Flip is the easiest to combust in.

I’m also going to experiment with one titanium screen in by itself versus two with the balls sandwiched between. The single screen option should be similar to using that Etsy disc.

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
I got the titanium discs in so I popped one in under the intake and did a bowl of a CBD strain. Heat up was nearly as instantaneous as no disc at all, which makes sense both because titanium heats up faster than the SS restrictor disc, and there are more holes for air to pass through on this disc than on the restrictor.

I took three hits. I pushed it hard, getting the flame right into the intake and drawing for longer than I dared last night, and I got huge clouds of vapor right from the first hit. The flavor was so complex and sophisticated on the first hit, and they lingered on my tongue as I stirred and prepped the next hit. A++ flavor. The next two hits still tasted good, again got huge clouds and really understood why a lot of people compare this to hitting a bong in intensity. If this had been a high THC strain I’d be in the clouds right now.

No matter how hard I pushed it, no charring, no hot spots, no combustion. I think these screens are absolute winners. I don’t know if it makes it utterly impossible to combust with one in but it definitely did let me push harder without fear.

Will try out the two screen and ball setup another time.

Last edited:

vinsvapes

I got the titanium discs in so I popped one in under the intake and did a bowl of a CBD strain. Heat up was nearly as instantaneous as no disc at all, which makes sense both because titanium heats up faster than the SS restrictor disc, and there are more holes for air to pass through on this disc than on the restrictor.

I took three hits. I pushed it hard, getting the flame right into the intake and drawing for longer than I dared last night, and I got huge clouds of vapor right from the first hit. The flavor was so complex and sophisticated on the first hit, and they lingered on my tongue as I stirred and prepped the next hit. A++ flavor. The next two hits still tasted good, again got huge clouds and really understood why a lot of people compare this to hitting a bong in intensity. If this had been a high THC strain I’d be in the clouds right now.

No matter how hard I pushed it, no chatting, no hot spots, no combustion. I think these screens are absolute winners. I don’t know if it makes it utterly impossible to combust with one in but it definitely did let me push harder without fear.

Will try out the two screen and ball setup another time.
I think I am going to try this out in my flip brick. Thanks for the write up!!

coolbreeze

Here's a pretty good ball-heater:
IMG-4075.jpg

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Prrl Neo with a Twist: :science::brow::rockon:
IMG-3739.jpg
Is this a setup that could work with a Flip or does it require a Twist (or just the injector bottom portion which I know they sell separately)?

Speaking of the Flip, mine arrived today along with a straight intake, and a dry herb catcher and coiled glass mouthpiece from Sneaky Pete. Unfortunately I can’t use any of them tonight and have to wait for tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Monk Debate,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

coolbreeze

Is this a setup that could work with a Flip or does it require a Twist (or just the injector bottom portion which I know they sell separately)?
The Flip and the injector bowl won't really work. You'd want the Twist--it has a ledge for the sleeve to seal on. Technically the Flip and Injector bowl could work with the sleeve turned inside out but it would be enough of a pain that it'd be unworthwhile.
Speaking of the Flip, mine arrived today along with a straight intake, and a dry herb catcher and coiled glass mouthpiece from Sneaky Pete. Unfortunately I can’t use any of them tonight and have to wait for tomorrow. Looking forward to it!
Nice, man. Have fun!

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
The Flip and the injector bowl won't really work. You'd want the Twist--it has a ledge for the sleeve to seal on. Technically the Flip and Injector bowl could work with the sleeve turned inside out but it would be enough of a pain that it'd be unworthwhile.

Nice, man. Have fun!
Oh interesting, I thought the Twist was the injector bowl with a heat intake piece added on top.

Since they setup would cost a pretty penny to put together as I have neither the Twist nor the Prrl, I’ll put it on the back burner for now. Thank you for the info!

coolbreeze

Oh interesting, I thought the Twist was the injector bowl with a heat intake piece added on top.
It does have an injector bowl, it's just cut a bit differently, more like the Hydrobrick bowl or the OG's. They all have a drop to a ledge that the sleeve can seal on, where the SBL injector bowl has more a simple chamfer just about the wrong size for the Neo.
Since they setup would cost a pretty penny to put together as I have neither the Twist nor the Prrl, I’ll put it on the back burner for now. Thank you for the info!
Righton, the Flip will be a good time anyhow. The injector bowl is a classic piece but the Twist's heater is a great bonus.

Last edited:

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Don't get me wrong, I am blissfully medicated right now. But I think my expectations were too high.

I opened up the Flip and my first thought was it's like a baby Hydromaxx, teeny and dainty and cute. Then I opened up the glass pieces I got to go with it that had arrived so far--a dry herb catcher and a coiled glass dry stem. The dry herb catcher was bigger than I expected, so the two pieces on top of each other were much taller than the Flip itself. I tried it with the 14mm WPA pointed up instead of down because the pieces felt too fragile to put the Flip on with the WPA down and all the weight on the glass (however the coiled stem by itself might be able to, I'll have to test that another time).

Restrictor disc was removed before use, titanium disc inserted. With the two dry glass pieces together it was extremely difficult to tell when I was getting the vapor because it was going through so much cooling, exacerbated by the coil stem having a carb so fresh air was also being added. I did still get a big cloud but I really had no clue how far I might be from combustion. I took off the dry herb catcher and did two more hits just with the coil stem and while I did get a very thorough extraction I had much less of a sense of how far I was pushing the vape.

I switched to my one standard bubbler which is a small piece but compared to the catcher and coil stem it is much more sturdy. This time I was able to set the WPA down and it was much more comfortable. I hit it through the bubbler dry because I wanted a better sense of how it controlled. This felt a lot more intuitive and with better feedback. Next time I'll try with water. If I had pushed the first hit on this one a bit further I could have done a one hit full extraction, but I backed off and ended up doing two hits. This way I had more control but it still didn't feel as utterly intuitive as the Runt.

Honestly, the whole feel of it in the hand is just not as natural to me as the Runt has been. The Runt has four pieces but for the most part you only need to pull out the one piece with the bowl, so it feels more complete and secure. The flipping actions on the Flip felt less secure and more finicky. Ironically despite being so small I would say it feels far less portable than the Runt and I'm sure Junior are. This almost demands a big heavy water piece so you can feel secure with it.

I do have the Hubble Bubble coming at some point, which would give me the water option with the WPA flipped upwards, and that might be a more comfortable option because the glass is nice and thick and is designed to be placed on top of a WPA instead of under.

Out of the box, if you forced me to pick one, it would have to be the Runt. Virtually the perfect vape in every way. But I'll keep playing with the Flip to see if it opens up more after some use.

Judging on my issues with the handling of the Flip, I suspect the Twist is the more ergonomic/intuitive model of the small Sticky Bricks.

coolbreeze

Don't get me wrong, I am blissfully medicated right now. But I think my expectations were too high.

I opened up the Flip and my first thought was it's like a baby Hydromaxx, teeny and dainty and cute. Then I opened up the glass pieces I got to go with it that had arrived so far--a dry herb catcher and a coiled glass dry stem. The dry herb catcher was bigger than I expected, so the two pieces on top of each other were much taller than the Flip itself. I tried it with the 14mm WPA pointed up instead of down because the pieces felt too fragile to put the Flip on with the WPA down and all the weight on the glass (however the coiled stem by itself might be able to, I'll have to test that another time).

Restrictor disc was removed before use, titanium disc inserted. With the two dry glass pieces together it was extremely difficult to tell when I was getting the vapor because it was going through so much cooling, exacerbated by the coil stem having a carb so fresh air was also being added. I did still get a big cloud but I really had no clue how far I might be from combustion. I took off the dry herb catcher and did two more hits just with the coil stem and while I did get a very thorough extraction I had much less of a sense of how far I was pushing the vape.
Can you post a pic? I can't really imagine your setup.
I switched to my one standard bubbler which is a small piece but compared to the catcher and coil stem it is much more sturdy. This time I was able to set the WPA down and it was much more comfortable. I hit it through the bubbler dry because I wanted a better sense of how it controlled. This felt a lot more intuitive and with better feedback. Next time I'll try with water. If I had pushed the first hit on this one a bit further I could have done a one hit full extraction, but I backed off and ended up doing two hits. This way I had more control but it still didn't feel as utterly intuitive as the Runt.
This is what I'd expect, that a small rig would be easiest to learn on. Adding water after you get a little used to it should be easily manageable. You could even try a j-hook which should be really controllable and more like the Runt.

Honestly, the whole feel of it in the hand is just not as natural to me as the Runt has been. The Runt has four pieces but for the most part you only need to pull out the one piece with the bowl, so it feels more complete and secure. The flipping actions on the Flip felt less secure and more finicky. Ironically despite being so small I would say it feels far less portable than the Runt and I'm sure Junior are. This almost demands a big heavy water piece so you can feel secure with it.
It really is meant for water pieces, but it adapts pretty well as you get accustomed.
I do have the Hubble Bubble coming at some point, which would give me the water option with the WPA flipped upwards, and that might be a more comfortable option because the glass is nice and thick and is designed to be placed on top of a WPA instead of under.
That should be really sweet, as long as the tube fits the space. I think that one should fit. It's really nice with the Maxx's mouthpiece, too.
Out of the box, if you forced me to pick one, it would have to be the Runt. Virtually the perfect vape in every way. But I'll keep playing with the Flip to see if it opens up more after some use.
Yeah, it's more a specific tool for waterpipes, and it's pretty good at that. It is not my favorite wooden bong-topper but it's distinct from most of them in the amount of restriction it has and its cantilevered shape, which can act sorta like a dropdown to keep the flame farther from your eyes.
When they first came out, people had a hell of a time keeping them from combusting. After a design change that mostly lengthened the heat path it's a much better/easier vape. In fact, I got mine a year or so ago and I was impressed with how little I struggled, and found it much easier than its reputation would suggest.

Point is, it's allegedly the most difficult Brick, but you already sound like you're figuring it out and having pretty good luck getting to where it will work. I think with time you will find it fun and satisfying, but it is a different thing than the Runt.

Judging on my issues with the handling of the Flip, I suspect the Twist is the more ergonomic/intuitive model of the small Sticky Bricks.
The Twist, I would caution more on. I have one and i love its dual use, love the wood (cherry), love the injector bowl, and am pleased with the more open, direct hit. But! I've found it to be the most difficult brick to use. I took out the disc and still struggle to get enough heat built up to run it well, unless I use it one my biggest water pieces. There it works like a charm, like you'd expect it to.

The point is, I will be here with you in the future conversing about how we overcame our brick struggles and found true happiness, or something like it! ; )

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
The Twist, I would caution more on. I have one and i love its dual use, love the wood (cherry), love the injector bowl, and am pleased with the more open, direct hit. But! I've found it to be the most difficult brick to use. I took out the disc and still struggle to get enough heat built up to run it well, unless I use it one my biggest water pieces. There it works like a charm, like you'd expect it to.
This is exactly my experience. It is fantastic on a big water piece. It was more difficult to dial in than I expected. It also had more cherry flavor than I expected. My other bricks really don't have any wood taste. Not unpleasant but surprising. I admit I mostly use the injector bowl rather than the whole twist now.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

This is exactly my experience. It is fantastic on a bit water piece. It was more difficult to dial in than I expected. It also had more cherry flavor than I expected. My other bricks really don't have any wood taste. Not unpleasant but surprising. I admit I mostly use the injector bowl rather than the whole twist now.
Yes, more cherry flavor than ever; nbd for me, but it's pretty up-front. It is a great injector bowl, and I like that it works for the Neo, too. I don't really mind that it's for big bongs only (sorta), but I think it's good for everyone to know that about it. Also, it is HUGE. The outer dimensions are larger than the Injector Bowl's--it's big enough that it won't fit some of my dropdowns! It's pretty tall, too, but the bent intake helps there. I think my biggest issue with it is I'd love to have a little magnet in the bottom of the stir-stick hole a la OWW's bricks. Every time I go for that thing it's fallen out somewhere.

Anyhow, not to discourage anyone cuz it does rock seriously in the proper setting and its injector bowl is excellent. Just be aware that it's big and likes a big bong!

coolbreeze,
Reactions: Grass Yes

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Finally had a chance to use the Hubble Bubble with the Flip. Now THIS is more like it!

I tried it with the dry herb catcher I bought from Sneaky Pete which worked out very well because it added elevation to the mouthpiece on the bubbler, so I was able to look straight down and see the heat intake which gave me great control. I put just enough water in the Hubble Bubble to cover the bottom slits, and I had enough feedback from the vapor to tell when to push and when to stop. No more awkwardness or difficulty, as easy as hitting the Runt but with water cooling.

That being said, I still think the Runt with the SBL bubbler would be the best of both worlds, but as of now that seems to be sold out everywhere.

coolbreeze

and see the heat intake
This is always the thing with the bong toppers, getting the intake where you can see it comfortably. Some combinations of vape/glass just require a dropdown or other intervention. Others just can't be comfortable on a given piece. The Flip is interesting because its cantilever shape moves it away from your face a bit, but it may throw a small piece off-balance.

Glad you're enjoying it with the hydrotube!

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
This is always the thing with the bong toppers, getting the intake where you can see it comfortably. Some combinations of vape/glass just require a dropdown or other intervention. Others just can't be comfortable on a given piece. The Flip is interesting because its cantilever shape moves it away from your face a bit, but it may throw a small piece off-balance.

Glad you're enjoying it with the hydrotube!
Yes, this is exacerbated in my use case because all the glass I'm using is small for portable use, so I can't rely on the glass itself to hold the weight of the Flip let alone adding things like a dropdown. But the herb catcher/Hubble Bubble combo seems to be a winner in both form and function.

Smokey McVape

Just arrived from Poland!
Modded restrictor that foregoes a glass heat intake.
Works better than the stock restrictors with no scorching with 1, 2 and 3 flame torches.
I am however, getting an additional taste with my vapour that I think it's from the O ring supplied with the Titanium restrictor - need to try others and report back.
I got a new Runt mouthpiece too that has 20 cooling beads in it and cools the vapour nicely

Last edited:

coolbreeze

I got one of those awhile back and it really does slow down the heat. It was a bit too much for the use i intended, but I ended up getting a bong brick (the Tetra Hydro) from Dynabox and I've use it with that to great effect. This may be just the solution you're looking for if you're really having problems scorching your herbs or otherwise regulating your heat.

Top Bottom