Sticky Brick Labs Vaporizer

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
what does one gain with removing the disk?

I tried the restrictor disk in my Maxx, back a number of years ago, when they first released the restrictor disks.
I only experimented a few times with the disk, and never really used it again.

I felt that it removed some of the control I had over what type of vapor I was getting, kinda like being used to driving a manual transmission car, and then switching to driving a car with an automatic transmission. Not only do you lose some of the connection between you, the car, and the tires grip on the road...but that loss takes away some of the more sensitive level of control you had over the whole system.

You can't customize the experience to get precisely what you want out of it as much, ya know?
I miss having a manual transmission vehicle as well. I only have an automatic now because it was what was available that I could afford within a short amount of time because of an employment change opportunity. But I miss having that extra controll.

My favorite handheld vapes are all manually controlled, and require a bit of technique to get a good experience. But after the learning period where I develop my own technique (and usually combust a few times along the way when experimenting), I am much happier with the experience than I have ever been with my more "automatic" controlled vapes where all I do is inhale, and get the same experience every time, no matter if I want to or not.

Last edited:

Smokey McVape

An update on my issue with quick combustion in the Runt. Changing the screen helped a lot (thanks @coolbreeze for the suggestion of a dental pick, was super easy to swap the screens with that), but I noticed I was still getting slight combustion towards the end of a bowl and still more quickly than I expected. I realized I had switched the stock angled heat intake for a straight intake, and sure enough when I switched back to the angled intake, I could vape hit after large hit with no combustion. The Runt was back to what I expected. Lesson learned, angled intakes are my choice from now on. I'm still using titanium discs with holes at the bottom of the intake. Now that I have the angled back in I should try it without the discs.
I had a similar issue but found the restrictor disc to be overkill. I use a bowl screen instead of the restrictor disc as it adds turbulence to the air flow WITHOUT taking away heating control and I get even roasting and clouds every hit.
Edit - Arizer stem screens fit perfectly in the intake hole without the need to trim to size.

Last edited:

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
I had a similar issue but found the restrictor disc to be overkill. I use a bowl screen instead of the restrictor disc as it adds turbulence to the air flow WITHOUT taking away heating control and I get even roasting and clouds every hit.
Edit - Arizer stem screens fit perfectly in the intake hole without the need to trim to size.

Yea, instead of the restrictor disc I use a titanium disc with more holes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y3QRY5L?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Allows a lot more heat through than the restrictor disc but provides some amount of protection.

coolbreeze

I tried the restrictor disk in my Maxx, back a number of years ago, when they first released the restrictor disks.

I felt that it removed some of the control I had over what type of vapor I was getting, kinda like being used to driving a manual transmission car, and then switching to driving a car with an automatic transmission. Not only do you lose some of the connection between you, the car, and the tires grip on the road...but that loss takes away some of the more sensitive level of control you had over the whole system.

You can't customize the experience to get precisely what you want out of it as much, ya know?
I miss having a manual transmission vehicle as well. I only have an automatic now because it was what was available that I could afford within a short amount of time because of an employment change opportunity. But I miss having that extra controll.

My favorite handheld vapes are all manually controlled, and require a bit of technique to get a good experience. But after the learning period where I develop my own technique (and usually combust a few times along the way when experimenting), I am much happier with the experience than I have ever been with my more "automatic" controlled vapes where all I do is inhale, and get the same experience every time, no matter if I want to or not.
So well put! I had consistency issues so I tried disc in, disc out, disc upside-down, etc. Finally I just went with bent intakes on my Maxx, OG, and Twist with no disc and it's a perfect combo of speed v control.

Yea, instead of the restrictor disc I use a titanium disc with more holes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y3QRY5L?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Allows a lot more heat through than the restrictor disc but provides some amount of protection.
This was how I tamed my Dynabox Hydro. Tried a bunch of other things and then I remembered my Noisy Cricket, tried the holy disc and it works great.

DocNicksche

🤔 ...hmm...seems like I just have to try it 😅
Thanks for the very comprehensive description! 👍

Flow

I had to try my bent intake tonight as i read this discussion before… and it seems to be easy to control.
Well i took it off before the end of the bowl ! so much loss of power i couldn't get my "usual satisfying n' tasty sneezy cloudy cloudz"
I replaced it by the straight intake tube, no restrictor, with a single jet torch and BOOM, BRICK'S BEAST MODE ACTIVATED !

coolbreeze

I had to try my bent intake tonight as i read this discussion before… and it seems to be easy to control.
Well i took it off before the end of the bowl ! so much loss of power i couldn't get my "usual satisfying n' tasty sneezy cloudy cloudz"
I replaced it by the straight intake tube, no restrictor, with a single jet torch and BOOM, BRICK'S BEAST MODE ACTIVATED !
I use the triple flame for Beast Mode! I'm fine with the straight or bent, but I kinda like Easy Mode. I get a really nice roast and good vapor and it's a lot more responsive than with the disc. It's kind of a happy medium.

Ramahs

🤔 ...hmm...seems like I just have to try it 😅
Thanks for the very comprehensive description! 👍

Exactly. There are many factors that you can play with. Everything from what kind of screen you use, to how fine you grind and how you fill/pack the bowl. There's draw speed, and there's how far you hold the flame from the intake, as well as what angle you hold the flame. Like, I feel that straight down into my straight intake on my Maxx allows the most control, but also the easiest to accidentally combust. But I still prefer straight down in the straight tube. Another factor is how you use the carb hole.

With the several or more above factors to play with there are a lot of combinations to experiment with and find your own best preferred technique. And I guarantee that one technique that works best for one person may not exactly work best for another person because we are all biologically built different.

So yes, experiment and play with as many variables as you can to find your own personal technique that gives you the best experience for you!

DocNicksche

First try without the restrictor disk today 👍
...man, that's an instant response without it! Again, out of fear to accidently combust, I was hesitating first and got no visible vapor - but a big mouth full of flavor! :nod:
The rest of the bowl was a pleasant balance of taste and vapor - without combusting 😉
I see now what you meant with that transmission analogy 👍

Franco

is (most likely) vaping
First try without the restrictor disk today 👍
...man, that's an instant response without it! Again, out of fear to accidently combust, I was hesitating first and got no visible vapor - but a big mouth full of flavor! :nod:
The rest of the bowl was a pleasant balance of taste and vapor - without combusting 😉
I see now what you meant with that transmission analogy 👍
Great! Those restrictor discs are way better when they are in the drawer :D
Now, when you feel it's time and you're not (too) afraid of combusting anymore, try this 👇

I use the triple flame for Beast Mode!
@coolbreeze Man, I almost forgot to thank you for this piece of advice. :bowdown:
I've always thought that triple flame torches were overkill. I was SO wrong...
It's exactly as you said: like switching the ON button.

DocNicksche

Damn! :bang:
Midway through my 2nd bowl I combusted badly! :doh: ... It's funny that combusting in my vapes is so gross to me...I still smoke, besides my efforts to fully transition to vaping, and it never grosses me out like it does when I'm accidently combusting in a vape! :puke:

I hope the wood doesn't catch on the smell too much! Would be a shame, since the runt very quickly climbed up my favourite-vapes-steps after my first couple of bowls

Edit: To match the analogy...I let the transmission go too fast this time 😅

Last edited:

Franco

is (most likely) vaping
Damn! :bang:
Midway through my 2nd bowl I combusted badly! :doh: ... It's funny that combusting in my vapes is so gross to me...I still smoke, besides my efforts to fully transition to vaping, and it never grosses me out like it does when I'm accidently combusting in a vape! :puke:

I hope the wood doesn't catch on the smell too much! Would be a shame, since the runt very quickly climbed up my favourite-vapes-steps after my first couple of bowls
Dude, it happens /has happened to all of us. I know, the frustration is real.
As for the smell, I hate it too, so I use qtips with 96° ethanol to clean the wooden vapor path.
I haven't seen any problem with the wood, but others may think it's a sacrilege. :2c:
YMMV

DocNicksche

As for the smell, I hate it too, so I use qtips with 96° ethanol to clean the wooden vapor path.
I haven't seen any problem with the wood, but others may think it's a sacrilege. :2c:
Thanks for the Tip! 👍
I heard you could use some burbon or similar to q-tip it out, since it's not as agressive to the wood as a more pure type of alcohol is. But maybe then, you have a burbon flavor left?
🤷‍♂️ ... I'll see when I vape my next bowl with it...maybe it isn't that bad after all. When I try and smell on the wooden parts, I mostly get a "wood-scent" ... So, I guess it's fine.

coolbreeze

Thanks for the Tip! 👍
I heard you could use some burbon or similar to q-tip it out, since it's not as agressive to the wood as a more pure type of alcohol is. But maybe then, you have a burbon flavor left?
🤷‍♂️ ... I'll see when I vape my next bowl with it...maybe it isn't that bad after all. When I try and smell on the wooden parts, I mostly get a "wood-scent" ... So, I guess it's fine.
Give it a quick clean and it'll get reclaimed by the reclaim soon--you'll never know it happened.

Ramahs

I've combusted in all my vapes at least once or twice when experimenting with pushing the line far enough to discover where that line actually is.
Combusting sucks, but for me it's just part of the process of getting to know a new vape.

I don't ever do it on purpose, but I do like to fuck around...which inevitably ends in me eventually finding out :razz:

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
I found my old triple flame torch and tried it on the Flip going through a Sneaky Pete Dryspring, which by the way absolutely rocks! Turbo mode was indeed engaged, first hit was plentiful and flavorful. Second hit took me to combustion sadly. Put in fresh herb and went back to my single flame and got two big hits and two small hits after, no combustion and the ABV was nice and dark. Single torches for me. Still, a fun experiment and if I ever wanted to guarantee I clear a bowl in one hit, I'd use the triple.

coolbreeze

I found my old triple flame torch and tried it on the Flip going through a Sneaky Pete Dryspring, which by the way absolutely rocks! Turbo mode was indeed engaged, first hit was plentiful and flavorful. Second hit took me to combustion sadly. Put in fresh herb and went back to my single flame and got two big hits and two small hits after, no combustion and the ABV was nice and dark. Single torches for me. Still, a fun experiment and if I ever wanted to guarantee I clear a bowl in one hit, I'd use the triple.
:science:🔥😤🤢

I usually go with the normal single flame too, but the triple can be fun/useful. I've found it most helpful with the Maxx and the Twist, and it's fun with the OG. Just another tool in the kit, really.

Top Bottom