StemPod by MPL

seeinghell

Hey folks

I have been using my SI for a few days with wattage mode but want to set up temp control for easier use or when I have friends around.

Does anyone have a good AF profile I could yoink for the HD coils or a simple guide on setting it up. It's a lot of terminology that is going over my head.
Hey! Did you ever get help with this?? Right now i’m in the same boat!:(

seeinghell,

david8613

The terp Pearl's act as thermal mass for super quick extraction of bud. Basically absorbs heat from small coil over time so that you can sip off the stored heat, per se, for a massive cloud rip all at once. Make sense?

yes definitely does! sounds cool.

anyone here use the stempod head to head vs the splinters? what are your thoughts?

david8613,

darkgr33n

Hey people

First post apparently. I'm sure I was here about 6 years ago but account seems to be DOA.

Anyway, a quick preamble to set to scene.

Still combusting on a daily basis :/

Back in 2013 I tried the FlashVAPE but didn't really get on with it. Used it initially but the novelty wore off.

2017 and I got myself a Titanium VapCap. I dipped in and out but couldn't make the switch. Eventually it ended up in a drawer. Somewhere.

2019 and I've just ordered a Stempod OG, a Lost Vape Drone mod and some Nitecore 3100mAh 18650s with charger. In for a penny in for a pound.

I guess it's positive that the time between wanting to switch to vaping has improved by two years!

I didn't get on with Butane and really want to get this to work. Fuck combustion, y'know.

In my bi-annual search of the vape scene I was initially intrigued by the FireFly2+ review Sneaky Pete did; It sounded like it could work for me so carried on delving a little further and travelled down a lot of rabbit holes.

I'd never heard of a box mod, 510 or anything like that until four days ago. Squonk. Seriously?

In the last four days I've also found out that on-demand is a thing; and that i'm a micro-doser (I think).

I like to take a few tokes, put it down, work, play, repeat until fade.

And that's why I took the plunge on the Stempod and mod without really knowing anything about anything.

I've downloaded escribe and loaded a 250c profile from evolvapor.com (delivery of mod and stempod tomorrow!). I'm reasonably comfortable with tweaking stuff via software.

From what I've read I'm going to start on wattage mode first, for a few days at least, just to get my bearings.

Does that sound about right ?

Finally. onto The Main Question!

During my many - many - searches, I somehow lost the thread of the main thing I need in a vape. The fly-in-the-ointment.

I mainly - probably wholly, realistically - use hash. European hard hash to be specific. It needs to be heated to really fluff up but you can just break it up with your fingers, but its a slow process. The bud here is too expensive to be a regular thing for me at the moment.

TL;DR

Will I be able to use hash in the Stempod ?
If so, any recommended settings, tricks or tips ?

I have read that the splinter is able to do hash and, to my highly untrained eye, the Stempod is at least similar and i think that was enough for me press the button.

I hope this is the one that helps me - finally - stop the combustion.

Thanks for your time, any thoughts welcome :)

darkgr33n,
Reactions: Summer

darkgr33n

OK, so I ordered the various bits from three different suppliers and, amazingly, they all turned up with the postman this morning :rockon:

I'm currently charging the batteries before I can embark on this new, and hopefully, long journey.

IMG-0979.jpg

IMG-0980.jpg

IMG-0981.jpg

IMG-0982.jpg

Still not quite sure if hash is going to work.

I saw the 420vapes review and he seemed to suggest with some stems you can pack behind the basket, rather than in it. That could work I guess.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:

jimsmith90210

Who Is Nate?
TL;DR

Will I be able to use hash in the Stempod ?
If so, any recommended settings, tricks or tips ?

Hopefully you don't dislike my answer, but after seeing many people ask about what vape to use for European style hash, by far and away the most common answer given is the Dynavap.

jimsmith90210,

darkgr33n

Hopefully you don't dislike my answer, but after seeing many people ask about what vape to use for European style hash, by far and away the most common answer given is the Dynavap.

Hey Jim. Thanks for the reply. Lol, yeah I know! Every time I read that I roll my eyes a little.
I just can't seem to get on with Butane. Or I don't want to. Probably a bit of both. OR maybe I didn't give it long enough. It could be a little because it kinda feels like using a pipe. It could be because you need two hands to use it. I have two hands, but they are not necessarily always both available.

I think i'm trying to replicate the pace of a joint. which for me, it a toke, 10 second gap, a toke, 10 second gap up until about 5 and then put down for a bit. having to fire up the torch every time stops the flow of working.

The batteries are taking a while to charge, but almost there. 4 hours i think.

jimsmith90210

Who Is Nate?
replicate the pace of a joint

Gosh, this makes me think Dynavap even more.

I don't know about old school hash but with herb, that's exactly how I use mine.

Heat it up, take a few hits over the span of 5-10 seconds. Repeat a few times if necessary.

An induction heater might be good for you.

I should probably stop talking about Dynavap's in this thread before the mods yell at me.

:cry:

jimsmith90210,
Reactions: Easywider

darkgr33n

Thanks Jim. I must admit I was looking at the induction heaters, but couldn't find one that was available in the UK. I probably jumped the gun with the Stempod but I guess it at least shows willingness ;)

Batteries ares still charging. 5.5 hours and somewhere between 80 and 100 percent.

Hmm, +1 for Butane I guess.

I may start a little search on induction heaters.

But - back on track - I must say I love the feel of the Stempod. It seems exceptionally well made. and i like the feel of it - and the drone mod - together. That has to be a good sign. As a piece of engineering, I can't fault it.

It may be that I have to switch to bud somehow, but i don't want to give in yet.

darkgr33n,

jimsmith90210

Who Is Nate?
It may be that I have to switch to bud somehow, but i don't want to give in yet.

I know with other types of concentrate you can use a steel pad, ceramic stone or organic cotton to vape them in a herb vape so that might work, but I have zero experience or knowledge with old school hash.

jimsmith90210,

darkgr33n

Yeah the FF2+ I think was talking about those steel pads. It could be an option. I ended up going into meetings so haven't started the stempod yet. Maybe tonight! I can use an old screen from the flashVAPE on top of the stempod screen to try and prevent debris hitting the coils. As I think I said, I almost went with the the Splinter Z as it seemed to mention hash but the stempod with its indestructableness won me over. Perhaps I should ask in the Splinter thread actually.

darkgr33n,

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Yeah the FF2+ I think was talking about those steel pads. It could be an option. I ended up going into meetings so haven't started the stempod yet. Maybe tonight! I can use an old screen from the flashVAPE on top of the stempod screen to try and prevent debris hitting the coils. As I think I said, I almost went with the the Splinter Z as it seemed to mention hash but the stempod with its indestructableness won me over. Perhaps I should ask in the Splinter thread actually.
@supershredderdan is the man to answer your question.im quite sure the Stempod can vape hash and other concentrates, built with that purpose too in mind if I’m not mistaken.. too bad you haven’t gotten more feedback here, wishfully this gets through Dan’s email notifications or something ! Never tried one myself, wish I could be of better help .

Vape on !

darkgr33n

@supershredderdan is the man to answer your question.im quite sure the Stempod can vape hash and other concentrates, built with that purpose too in mind if I’m not mistaken.. too bad you haven’t gotten more feedback here, wishfully this gets through Dan’s email notifications or something ! Never tried one myself, wish I could be of better help .

Vape on !

Thanks Man, appreciate the sentiment and good wishes :) It may be that I just need some extra accessory or something - like the steel pads.

:peace:

darkgr33n,
Reactions: P.A.M.

darkgr33n

So, I tried it out for the first time yesterday.

As I said, I'd never even heard of a box mod last week and it took quite a well to find the basic instructions. Press five times to turn on. So simple.

Anyway, I experimented in wattage mode to begin with and for a first attempt, it worked quite well. I found it easier to try different technique when it was dark and I could see the coils and try and ride it with different inhale speeds. Not there yet, but certainly it does seem to work.

Hash is hard to see when it's done in the same way you can with bud as the ABV is difficult to distinguish. I think I combusted once - certainly the flavour changed.

I tried TCR mode but couldn't get it to work at all so went back to wattage mode. Need to spend more time on that with Escribe. I tried the Escribe stock profile for SS316 which I think is what the clapton coils are.

I think the thing I struggle most with is the drone mod. Not really sure how to ride the fire button. In wattage mode I just press it until I can feel the vapour getting thicker. TCR has not yet produced any vapour. I had max temp set to 450F but not sure what I was doing.

But, initial thoughts are that the stempod could well be the thing that helps me quit the joints. I have been using it in tandem while I try and ween myself off and already I did have a moment last night after a vape when I tried a joint and couldn't believe how bad it tasted. That has to be a good thing.

I have to brush the hash out of the stempod after every bowl though. From the videos it seemed like the bud remained in the basket, but hash just falls out. Hopefully there's something out there to aid in that.

All in all, a positive first impression :)

darkgr33n,

Easywider

Simple is the way
I tried TCR mode but couldn't get it to work at all so went back to wattage mode. Need to spend more time on that with Escribe. I tried the Escribe stock profile for SS316 which I think is what the clapton coils are.

I think the thing I struggle most with is the drone mod. Not really sure how to ride the fire button. In wattage mode I just press it until I can feel the vapour getting thicker. TCR has not yet produced any vapour. I had max temp set to 450F but not sure what I was doing.

Sounds like a good first report ! One thing to mention is stock TCR profiles are going to measure the temp at the coils. You want the display temp to correlate with your basket temp. To achieve this you can just raise the TCR so the display temp correlates more to the bowl temp and not the coil temp. Try out a range somewhere between 150-175. Adjust up/down in increments of 5 until your display temp seems to match output temp. Also if your on a DNA mod you can use the pre-configured Stempod @HerbieVonVapster profile available here. https://forum.evolvapor.com/files/file/567-fcshare/

I have to brush the hash out of the stempod after every bowl though. From the videos it seemed like the bud remained in the basket, but hash just falls out. Hopefully there's something out there to aid in that.

I've had good luck using a nest of hemp fibre ( could use organic cotton or rayon here ) it keeps the hash from gumming up your screens and your can place a bit of fibre on top to kind of hold everything inplace after you load your stem.

Good luck! Vape on, joints will begin to taste more and more like shit as your journey continues! :rockon:

Last edited:
Easywider,

darkgr33n

Sounds like a good first report ! One thing to mention is stock TCR profiles are going to measure the temp at the coils. You want the display temp to correlate with your basket temp. To achieve this you can just raise the TCR so the display temp correlates more to the bowl temp and not the coil temp. Try out a range somewhere between 150-175. Adjust up/down in increments of 5 until your display temp seems to match output temp. Also if your on a DNA mod you can use the pre-configured Stempod @HerbieVonVapster profile available here. https://forum.evolvapor.com/files/file/567-fcshare/

Thanks for the detail and link, much appreciated!! I am on a DNA - DNA250C the lost vape drone. I don't think they make them anymore and although i've got nothing to compare it to, it feels really nice to use and it pretty stable sitting on the desk which i was a bit concerned about. I liked the fact that the 510 was centred on the mod.

I actually ended up setting the max temperature to fahrenheit 451 - because of the hawkwind song- and 451F is about 232C but I'll download the profile you linked and give that a go.

I've had good luck using a nest of hemp fibre ( could use organic cotton or rayon here ) it keeps the hash from gumming up your screens and your can place a bit of fibre on top to kind of hold everything in place after you load your stem.

Great idea. I did consider that but wasn't sure. Will definitely give it a go now! Just had a quick look and the hemp fibre seems really scarce in the UK. Will have to go the organic cotton route I think.

Good luck! Vape on, joints will begin to taste more and more like shit as your journey continues! :rockon:

Great to know. I look forward to the shit taste haha!

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
@darkgr33n , maybe you could squish it between two screens? Or cut one basket rim so that you can sandwich your hash in between two baskets ? Definitely try the hemp or cotton , im just trying to think of a temporary hack... oh and Welcome to the forum !

:bigleaf:

P.A.M.,

darkgr33n

@darkgr33n , maybe you could squish it between two screens? Or cut one basket rim so that you can sandwich your hash in between two baskets ? Definitely try the hemp or cotton , im just trying to think of a temporary hack... oh and Welcome to the forum !

:bigleaf:

I can - as a temporary fix - use a basket inside a basket. there's enough room and it fits in OK, but the rim of the extra basket catches when you pull the stem out -- but its nae bother really.

The only issue i see with the cotton is I can imagine stirring the basket would be a little more difficult. I'm not sure if you should stir but i do!

I guess i should experiment with different amounts too. I tend to try and stick to what i'd use for joint. It's slightly less efficient with regards to actual usage though as I probably get half as many puffs per amount but then i'm not smoking a ton of chemicals. :doh:

darkgr33n,

darkgr33n

I still can't seem to get TCR mode working for me.
When I press - and keep pressing - the fire button, it says 'Firing' but there's no glow in the coils. I can feel that it is getting warm, but no glow.
When I use Watts mode, it glows fine and works reasonably well I think.
I have drifted a little back to combustion a little bit but need to experiment more.
Here are the settings - using a couple of the Stempod profiles in the above link at evolvapor.com
I wonder if I'm not getting the basics right. I assume you have to keep pressing the fire button in TCR ?

tcr-dna250.png

darkgr33n,

darkgr33n

But why do you want it to glow? That's absolutely not desirable mate! :shrug:

:doh:

Thank you. I didn't realise that at all! I need to do some more research by the sound of it.
The only time I got anywhere close to getting a hit was in wattage mode and when the coils were glowing orange.:rolleyes:

darkgr33n,

darkgr33n

although, on the mpl site, point three of the basic guide is:
  • Also check that the coils are glowing evenly before using them.
now i am confused.

darkgr33n,
Reactions: snamuh

darkgr33n

While I'm working out the best settings for the Stempod, I've just ordered an induction heater for the dynavap ... will see how we go with that ;)

darkgr33n,
Reactions: david8613
Top Bottom