chililvr

I must be doing something wrong. I just can't seem to get flavor. I know the flower has flavor (in my FW9) but nothing with the SSV . I have the 6mm balls, running at about 50% or 6pm position, clean glass, new tube. Would going to a silicone tube help? It does the job really well, just miss tasting the goodness as well.

chililvr,

Flow

I must be doing something wrong. I just can't seem to get flavor. I know the flower has flavor (in my FW9) but nothing with the SSV . I have the 6mm balls, running at about 50% or 6pm position, clean glass, new tube. Would going to a silicone tube help? It does the job really well, just miss tasting the goodness as well.

Did you try to turn the knob down a bit ? try to turn it on in doing just a quarter rotation of the knob ?
How long do you let your SSV warm up ? with balls, you need to let it warm up a bit longer.
Do you use a bong or an ash catcher to cool down the vapor ? it's a flavor stealer, particularly with water...
what's the lenght of your whip ? is your vapor hot or harsh ?
Any pics ?
There is a tip about how to set the knob to the zero position… just turn your device off, then pull on the knob and then replace it to the position you want for the start position… Mine is set on a socket with a switch sothat i barely use the knob once it's fine tuned ^^ ;)

Last edited:

chililvr

How long do you let your SSV warm up ? with balls, you need to let it warm up a bit longer.
Do you use a bong or an ash catcher to cool down the vapor ? it's a flavor stealer, particularly with water...
what's the lenght of your whip ? is your vapor hot or harsh ?
I have been leaving it on, haven't turned it off in three weeks. No bong, using the standard 3ft hose that it comes with. Vapor is cool, not hot until it is spent. The vapor isn't harsh, it is smooth. The case isn't hot, I can hold on to it for as long as I like, of course the end of the whip is really hot. I have the aroma dish on top. Thank you for the suggestions.

Flow

Ok, that's a good start !
Everything you describe seems fonctionnal to me.
What stem do you use with it ? factory OG ? Ground glass ? Spherical ground glass ? how covered is your screen ?
You need to fill around 1/3 of the standard OG stem with fluffy botanicals. no draw resistance ;)
maybe take the aroma top off when you vape… but i don't think this will be the master change...
Do you make big clouds or do you sip whispy vapor ? how's your first draw ? slow and long or fast long or fast short ?
Try to vape 'n stir on each draw first… stirring IS important with this vape (when you use it with the standard equipement)

Ever heard about @DDave ? he makes mods and kits for many vapes

chililvr

What stem do you use with it ? factory OG ? Ground glass ? Spherical ground glass ? how covered is your screen ?
You need to fill around 1/3 of the standard OG stem with fluffy botanicals. no draw resistance ;)
maybe take the aroma top off when you vape… but i don't think this will be the master change...
Do you make big clouds or do you sip whispy vapor ? how's your first draw ? slow and long or fast long or fast short ?
I’m using the stock wand and mouth piece. I do not use the hands free attachment. Spherical round glass, the screen is clean, I scrape out all I can then use a small stiff bristle brush for the tiny bits. I was filling the little area in the wand about half way but I think I was packing it too much. No draw resistance usually big clouds and first draw is usually slower than normal. I have not heard of @DDDave but I’ll check them out. I think if I play with the temp a little more I will be fine.

chililvr,

Flow

If you get big clouds from the first draw, then you should try to turn your SSV down a bit... ;)
First draw IS whispy anyway
if you want flavor so turn your SSV down and see if it taste better… best flavors occurs often without any visible vapor !
straight ground glass heater cover with a stem is my favorite BTW... easy, hands free…

Don't forget to STIR sir !

Marcus

Oh, I thought you meant in general, first draw is a bit more than wispy but not by a lot. Definitely stirring much more and it does help.
A stir and a few crumbs of fresh on top and tamped down with the hatpin marble thingy really does stretch the flavour out in a bowl.
Some strains can lose flavour after a couple of lungfuls I find, so topping them up helps.
Other strains will keep pumping flavour out with just a stir.

I still love my SSV. The balls have made it even better.

RedZep

Is it possible to use the balled super surfer in fan mode, using just glass, no bags or whip?

So like the below pic another user shared. Could I have a set up like this, but use the fan to blow the vapour into my lungs like the Volcano Hybrid. Is this possible? or does it come with problems?

Last edited:

Garybuchanen

Is there a video somewhere with the ball version of the ssv ? Would love to see it,such a special vape this is was my first true desktop heavy hitter. I remember taking it after school in a friends shed and blowing down lol.
And red that should work for sure!! All glass ssv sounds freaking amazing !!

Garybuchanen,
Reactions: chililvr

chililvr

When you clean the wand and whip, do you try to save the reclaim? if you do, how do you do it? Also, how do you clean the tube? Thanks!

Is there a video somewhere with the ball version of the ssv ? Would love to see it,such a special vape this is was my first true desktop heavy hitter. I remember taking it after school in a friends shed and blowing down lol.
And red that should work for sure!! All glass ssv sounds freaking amazing !!
The Elev8 website has links to several videos on their YouTube channel.

chililvr,
Reactions: TinaLouise

Cervical CBD

I’m about to retire mine after replacing the heater and the dimmer switch breaking less than 24 hours later. Elev8 should include the dimmer switch when you buy the heating element instead of labeling it as an option. Now in order to fix mine, I’ll have to pay $25 plus shipping again and pull the entire unit apart a 2nd time. I refuse to do that because insure a feeling that these things are worthless once they break the 1st time. It was good for 6 or so years but I’m looking for a replacement…

Cervical CBD,

hoptimum

I’m about to retire mine after replacing the heater and the dimmer switch breaking less than 24 hours later. Elev8 should include the dimmer switch when you buy the heating element instead of labeling it as an option. Now in order to fix mine, I’ll have to pay $25 plus shipping again and pull the entire unit apart a 2nd time. I refuse to do that because insure a feeling that these things are worthless once they break the 1st time. It was good for 6 or so years but I’m looking for a replacement…
I progressed from an SSV to a ball vape and haven't looked back.

Postlark

When you clean the wand and whip, do you try to save the reclaim? if you do, how do you do it? Also, how do you clean the tube? Thanks!

The Elev8 website has links to several videos on their YouTube channel.
Reclaim from a pvc whip does not sound too yummy...

Meanwhile just wanted to update that I have gone back to the 3mm ball heater cover with 3mm balls. I have to order the 4mm ones to see if they fit in this heater cover in order to form a bottom layer of 4mm balls and try to cover only the red hot part of the ceramic rod with 3mm balls, in an attempt to improve the airflow.

With the 6mm heater cover filled with 3mm balls, while amazing for daytime use, combines great airflow with good clouds, even at max temperature the load never gets to the brown colour I like for night time use. Since getting the tempest I have been using the SSV only at night so a heavier hit is wanted. I believe what happens is, since the 6mm heater cover is much wider, and the ceramic rod not too powerful, I believe the balls on the outer edge of the heater don't heat up as much.

The 3mm heater cover is very narrow, so the ceramic rod heats the rubies very well. It is just a beast. I will try improving the airflow of this one, instead of trying to make the 6mm one more powerful. Maybe a few terp rods or 4mm balls thrown at the bottom of the 3mm heater cover would work if they fit, upto maybe an inch from the bottom, and then fill the rest with 3mm balls. This or 4mm balls throughout. More testing needed, but I am sure the balance can be found as it has more than enough power when filled with 3mm balls (I only use it below 12oclock power).

Last edited:
Top Bottom