Sapphire and Ruby inserts for bangers

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Flux was revolutionized by Chatham and their process uses a seed. Its well known that growing from a seed creates a far better ruby/sapphire as its closer to a natural one and its relatively cheap. Your gonna trash tier jewels if you use no seed. Also, the process you described is the same thing just without a seed. They just used trigger words like molten magma instead of science. They use molten liquids under pressure over time. The seeding method is more common due to being inexpensive and better for jewelery.

What experience are you basing this info off? Do you work in this industry?

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
I am on holiday right now @biohacker (Miami :D) so i didnt have lots of time yet but my last impressions were that i like tastewise my sapphire liger air setup a BIT better but i guess thats not cuz one is purer or however u wanna call it but bcs the insert is bigger and the material evaporates better/quicker/more efficient (30mm vs 18mm insert DIA :nod:)

What i def. can say is that i didnt have any problems at all getting good dabs out of the ruby insert aswell but i got it dialed in with an enail and k-temp :)

pghjd

I am on holiday right now @biohacker (Miami :D) so i didnt have lots of time yet but my last impressions were that i like tastewise my sapphire liger air setup a BIT better but i guess thats not cuz one is purer or however u wanna call it but bcs the insert is bigger and the material evaporates better/quicker/more efficient (30mm vs 18mm insert DIA :nod:)

What i def. can say is that i didnt have any problems at all getting good dabs out of the ruby insert aswell but i got it dialed in with an enail and k-temp :)
That's a big ass insert. Perfect for globs!

pghjd,

biohacker

I do see some sapphire inserts on constant gems for 24-25mm bangers, not sure what works with my 30mm though.

Adapt Tech has this one on sale which would be perfect for your 30mm banger:

https://www.rubiesareforever.com/pr...standard-size-30mm-quartz-bangers-2nd-quality

should be wtting a Ruby insert from Greek whe es they're ready, really looking forward to test em.

Should be within the next week or so according to Greek's IG. Can't wait! I don't even see the pre order anymore so they must have sold out. I picked up two for myself.

And FWIW, sapphires for peanuts on Alibaba:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...ml?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.2.3a4a1b9dtWw8xZ

Last edited:

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Is there a thermal stress chart for any of the ruby inserts? Has anyone ever heated a ruby insert directly rather than through indirect contact with the heat source?

Edit: I just realized the Puffco Peak must heat the ruby inserts made for it by direct heat from the ceramic plate. Can anyone verify this?

Last edited:
nosmoking,

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Never! But I have cooled one directly... I don't suggest either! :lol:
If Puffco Peak can do it, then I figure why can't I? I was considering ordering a 2nd Ruby Insert from Greek Glass just in case so I am not too bummed if I crack it. I am not trying to directly heat the Ruby with a torch, but rather a ceramic heater like the Peak uses. My only concern now is maximum wattage. I am not sure how the Peak regulates itself or if this even matters because I would presume it has some sort of algorithm that is tuned to keep it in a TC like mode rather than just a constant wattage mode. Either way, there would be inconsistency in the heat applied or constant heat with no real stability of temp but rather a timed cutoff which prevents reaching a maximum temperature. Idk, but like I said it should not matter much. What matters is they heat the Ruby directly on a ceramic plate heater and in 20-30 seconds. To do this you would need a good amount of wattage which is all I am concerned about. My goal is to be able to successfully heat a Ruby insert to dabtastic temperatures on a Peak like device.

nosmoking,
Reactions: biohacker

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
It seems like most people using a Ruby in their Peak have to heat for like two power cycles to get it to temp. 20-30 seconds won't even get mine going with a torch, let alone a ceramic plate heater.

For this reason IMO Ruby is more preferable for home enails than portable uptemps. I'd stick with opaque Quartz or SiC for a portable. I get good performance on blue or green on my buddies Peak with an opaque insert.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
It seems like most people using a Ruby in their Peak have to heat for like two power cycles to get it to temp. 20-30 seconds won't even get mine going with a torch, let alone a ceramic plate heater.

For this reason IMO Ruby is more preferable for home enails than portable uptemps. I'd stick with opaque Quartz or SiC for a portable. I get good performance on blue or green on my buddies Peak with an opaque insert.
That is interesting to hear it takes 2 heat ups on the Peak. I was planning on doing it in about 55-65 seconds myself.

I have wanted to try a SiC insert and full opaque quartz, however my very short experience with my Ruby insert has me wanting to stick with gemstone dabs. The maintenance and flavor seemed to have improved greatly and if the Peak style heating does not make the Ruby insert chaz then this is really the way to go cause who wants to carry water or ISO for their q-tips everywhere?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
That is interesting to hear it takes 2 heat ups on the Peak. I was planning on doing it in about 55-65 seconds myself.

I have wanted to try a SiC insert and full opaque quartz, however my very short experience with my Ruby insert has me wanting to stick with gemstone dabs. The maintenance and flavor seemed to have improved greatly and if the Peak style heating does not make the Ruby insert chaz then this is really the way to go cause who wants to carry water or ISO for their q-tips everywhere?

Have you done a 60 second uptemp? I tried it the other day with my my MaxVapor's uptemp mode and it really didn't blow me away. Nor did a torched Ruby uptemp, just seems to take a long time to heat soak. Better for static or torch cool-down dabs IMO.

The biggest issue with Ruby in the Peak is you have to heat it up on White which stresses the atomizer. Been hitting the opaque bottom on Blue and Green; dry swab only no chazz.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Have you done a 60 second uptemp? I tried it the other day with my Ruby and my MaxVapor's uptemp mode and it really didn't blow me away. Better for static or torch cool-down dabs IMO.

The biggest issue with Ruby in the Peak is you have to heat it up on White which stresses the atomizer. Been hitting the opaque bottom on Blue and Green; dry swab only no chazz.
I do 60 second uptemp hits on opaque bottom inserts often by accident only, however they are not torch driven when I do them. They are more like a Peak uptemp hit, but my atomizer and heater setup seems to be able to handle it. They do kinda chaz around the center of the floor even though they come pretty darn clean with the dry q-tip.

I have not done an uptemp hit with the Ruby insert. I never was really into uptemp hits as I like full on vapor and shorter hits.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
How's the taste? Any pooling?

My friend likes it a lot more than the stock cup, I've honestly only hit it a couple times but it seems to taste pretty good and vape pretty thoroughly. Depends how I hit it, sometimes I cold load and other times I do torch emulation and get it to temp before dropping my dab. :sherlock: It's been a progression, I think the addition of a bubble cap made a big difference as well as IMO the stock carb cap directs air right into the water filter, diluting the vapor, instead of pushing the oil around to help vaporize.

I do 60 second uptemp hits on opaque bottom inserts often by accident only, however they are not torch driven when I do them. They are more like a Peak uptemp hit, but my atomizer and heater setup seems to be able to handle it. They do kinda chaz around the center of the floor even though they come pretty darn clean with the dry q-tip.

I have not done an uptemp hit with the Ruby insert. I never was really into uptemp hits as I like full on vapor and shorter hits.

I like to do a longer Peak style uptemp with my opaque quartz banger and the Uptemp Mode of my MV controller too, I actually find those dabs pretty different from the ruby effects.

It seems to take me about twice as long to get ruby up to temp when I torch it. Does that sound about right to you @biohacker since you've got that IR gun?

JCat

Accessory Maker
Haha, it was just a matter of time! Although some of those pics look ultra scary! :o

Greek Glass is down to his last 1/2 dozen rubies if anyone is looking.. both of mine are awesome.
I’m really thinking about it ... lol

Top Bottom