Sapphire and Ruby inserts for bangers

biohacker

how are yall doing a deep cleaning of the greek ruby inserts? is it ok to soak them in ISO for an extended period?

It's definitely okay, but you would be wasting your time IMO. I tried using warm Dark Crystal Glass Cleaner and Grunge Off, and they work with some effort, but not as easy and quick as a nice 2 minute blast with my Big Shot! Sparkling like new clean every time.

Many have great success with warm Simple Green, the "crystal" being the best. But I would think that it would be as good as the DC, which is just okay IMO.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
@biohacker You torch your ruby insert directly? I thought it would crack that way so I have been deep cleaning in ISO overnight and still scrubbing it clean basically.

I think I will try tonight!

nosmoking,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

exmex

how are yall doing a deep cleaning of the greek ruby inserts? is it ok to soak them in ISO for an extended period?
DCglass cleaner soak for a hour or more. Or if u got a enail set the temp to about 230-250f (u want the dish temp about 220f), put in a couple of drops of room temp distilled water, followed by a couple drops of 99%iso. It will bubble and boil. Use Qtips to wipe clean. Repeat until clean. I havent tried that yet with my GG ruby but ive done it countless times on my 30mm CCA710 Sapphire insert

biohacker

DCglass cleaner soak for a hour or more. Or if u got a enail set the temp to about 230-250f (u want the dish temp about 220f), put in a couple of drops of room temp distilled water, followed by a couple drops of 99%iso. It will bubble and boil. Use Qtips to wipe clean. Repeat until clean. I havent tried that yet with my GG ruby but ive done it countless times on my 30mm CCA710 Sapphire insert

Crazy Thermal Shock Russian Roulette MoFo! :lol:

exmex

Crazy Thermal Shock Russian Roulette MoFo! :lol:
:lol: its fineee, Its a low enough temp as long as u dont use cold water u will be alright! It did scare me doing it the first few times but ive done it so many times now i dont even worry. U want a clean insert quick, this is the way imo. I do prefer to soak in DCglass cleaner most of the time. But i will do one of those cleans every once in a while to get a really good cleaning in because imo it cleans everything the best. To each his own tho :):peace:

tylerj55

So if anybody bought one of the first round of Greek glass ruby inserts they should fit in the peak atomizer. The lid won’t go down completely, but it works well. I run through two full heatups on white and then set to the temp I want.

tylerj55,
Reactions: exmex

biohacker

I do prefer to soak in DCglass cleaner most of the time.

I don't understand why my experience sucks so much with DC cleaner. I just soaked my ruby for about 15 hours, and it's only about maybe 50% cleaner. Better than ISO, but nothing like a proper heat clean.

I kinda wanna try your ISO boiling method, but way too chicken! :rofl:

Then again, i've done it with sapphire and ruby terp pearls right from HOT, no issues...

Last edited:

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
I am back but probably only jump on FC once or twice a week instead of daily due to work.

I soak my sapphire and ruby inserts in Dark Crystal for a day or two. Sometimes longer as i will forget its soaking or if the insert is stuck to the banger. (I noticed the DC working better when it evaporates some and its left with a goey like substance)

About 70% of the time, after a day of soaking, i can take it out and wipe it with a paper towel and it will be clean. I then do a quick rinse in ISO before dabbing to clean the Dark Crystal off the insert.

The remaining 30% of the time, I will still have black streaks or dots on outside wall or black circles on the bottom of the insert. I will then throw it in a banger and torch it clean. Been doing this daily for many months now without any issues or damages to the inserts.

biohacker

The remaining 30% of the time, I will still have black streaks or dots on outside wall or black circles on the bottom of the insert. I will then throw it in a banger and torch it clean. Been doing this daily for many months now without any issues or damages to the inserts.

Your 30% is my 100%, although I haven't tried soaking for more than a day. It seems to always have those black circles on there for good, until I take the torch over 1000f to it.

It's nice to have you back in any capacity, as your expertise is definitely missed. My burning question, as these SiC inserts from Fadespace have become quite hyped, as much so as to actually have claims of being "better" than ruby/sapphire, even from a taste standpoint. Of course, this is all from Fadespace...

Should I even bother picking one up? I remember you stating you didn't like the taste of SiC, but i'm unsure if that's with Ti in its path or not?

Thanks!

JCat

Accessory Maker
My GG ruby insert has stayed spotless with 1.5-2 dry q-tips after each use, and frequent ISO q-tipping when cool before use.

Maybe I just can’t see it, but to me it looks as clean as the day I got it.

I’m running @ 500F dropping PID to 485F at start of dab.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
https://www.newvape.com/sapphire-30mm-dish-nv

Anybody else thinking about picking one of these up? That’s a great price and would make my liger desirable again lol.

The D cup :lol: That's the greatest vape name ever! :rofl:
Nice to see new gear from NewVape! Although I can't see the appeal of dabbing off sapphire with a metal vapor path. If that clean pure flavor of sapphire is genuinely of interest, the quartz vapor path hasn't been surpassed.

I am back but probably only jump on FC once or twice a week instead of daily due to work.

I soak my sapphire and ruby inserts in Dark Crystal for a day or two. Sometimes longer as i will forget its soaking or if the insert is stuck to the banger. (I noticed the DC working better when it evaporates some and its left with a goey like substance)

About 70% of the time, after a day of soaking, i can take it out and wipe it with a paper towel and it will be clean. I then do a quick rinse in ISO before dabbing to clean the Dark Crystal off the insert.

@Shooby Nice to see you around boss! :wave:
What's your go-to daily driver setup these days? :cool:

Last edited:

Grifo

Looks kinda short... wont the oil travel up and make a mess? Im gonna chill on it for now if anything ill get a coil for my quartz banger/saphhire insert combo from 710coils.

Grifo,
Reactions: JCat

exmex

This is pretty much what i do except the 30% would be the iso boiling method, never has my white sapphire or ruby been over 650f
My GG ruby insert has stayed spotless with 1.5-2 dry q-tips after each use, and frequent ISO q-tipping when cool before use.

Maybe I just can’t see it, but to me it looks as clean as the day I got it.

I’m running @ 500F dropping PID to 485F at start of dab.
I notice my GG ruby stays pretty clean too especially compared to the white sapphire. Maybe the red helps hide the dirtys and gives the illusion of staying clean ?
Can't wait until your white sapphire lands so you can compare! :brow:
Ruby compared to white sapphire for me is pretty much the same taste wise. I do like my ruby a little better because i can use it in a quartz banger and have a complete glass airway. And like i mentioned above the ruby seems to stay cleaner longer, probably the higher side walls compare to my white sapphire help alot on that too.

That is a great price for a sapphire insert. If it fit my 30mm banger, I think it would be in my shopping cart right now!
I was thinking of getting a AH or Galaxy 35mm banger and coil to try and put my 30mm sapphire insert in there for a all glass airway instead of having to use the Liger Air. Anyone try this or know if this would work?

Looks kinda short... wont the oil travel up and make a mess? Im gonna chill on it for now if anything ill get a coil for my quartz banger/saphhire insert combo from 710coils.
710coils has sapphire now?

exmex,
Reactions: JCat

Grifo

This is pretty much what i do except the 30% would be the iso boiling method, never has my white sapphire or ruby been over 650f

I notice my GG ruby stays pretty clean too especially compared to the white sapphire. Maybe the red helps hide the dirtys and gives the illusion of staying clean ?

Ruby compared to white sapphire for me is pretty much the same taste wise. I do like my ruby a little better because i can use it in a quartz banger and have a complete glass airway. And like i mentioned above the ruby seems to stay cleaner longer, probably the higher side walls compare to my white sapphire help alot on that too.

I was thinking of getting a AH or Galaxy 35mm banger and coil to try and put my 30mm sapphire insert in there for a all glass airway instead of having to use the Liger Air. Anyone try this or know if this would work?

710coils has sapphire now?
Nah, i was referring to the coil. i just worded it poorly.

Grifo,
Reactions: exmex

JCat

Accessory Maker
I notice the sapphire insert I have for the Halo has sort of a "frosted" feel to it, whereas the ruby feels super smooth ... maybe that makes a difference in how clean it stays? Do the sapphire inserts have a frosted feel or are they smooth like the ruby? @biohacker ? (or like you said, maybe it's illusion ...)

exmex

Nah, i was referring to the coil. i just worded it poorly.
Ya i went and checked hahaha I would definitely get one from 710coils love'em
I notice the sapphire insert I have for the Halo has sort of a "frosted" feel to it, whereas the ruby feels super smooth ... maybe that makes a difference in how clean it stays? Do the sapphire inserts have a frosted feel or are they smooth like the ruby? @biohacker ? (or like you said, maybe it's illusion ...)
My CCA710 30mm sapphire is smooth, Ive never seen a frosted one in person

exmex,

biohacker

Do the sapphire inserts have a frosted feel or are they smooth like the ruby? @biohacker ? (or like you said, maybe it's illusion ...)

My 19mm is smooth like the ruby, and IMO the Ruby just hides it better. With the white sapphire, it's basically like quartz. If you're meticulous with qtip tech, it's a non-issue.... I don't torch clean my inserts that often, because they stay clean so incredibly long.

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
My burning question, as these SiC inserts from Fadespace have become quite hyped, as much so as to actually have claims of being "better" than ruby/sapphire, even from a taste standpoint. Of course, this is all from Fadespace...

Should I even bother picking one up? I remember you stating you didn't like the taste of SiC, but i'm unsure if that's with Ti in its path or not?

I personally prefer my ruby insert. I don't know that there's much difference flavor-wise, at least not that I'm able to discern... but the ruby is consistently easier to clean and maintain and has a better overall feel to it. Heavier, better polish, etc.

The main advantage I see with SiC is its resistance to thermal shock.

biohacker

The main advantage I see with SiC is its resistance to thermal shock.

Is it resistant enough to thermal shock that you could take a 450F+ SiC Insert and dunk it in room temp ISO?

If so, pretty wicked way of keeping it crystal clean! And, droptech (IF it works good enough)

biohacker,
Reactions: LesPlenty

JCat

Accessory Maker
Is it resistant enough to thermal shock that you could take a 450F+ SiC Insert and dunk it in room temp ISO?

If so, pretty wicked way of keeping it crystal clean! And, droptech (IF it works good enough)
It should be ... that and the high thermal conductivity of SiC ...

Top Bottom