Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

arb

Semi shaved ape
Thanks man, I thought I read recently, but I can't find the posts now, that people were pressing flower in hash bags to reduce contaminant. I intend to make bubble in the future to press too so maybe I should just get a selection of sizes to experiment with.
I use the same for flower and kieff.
The 160 I used above was just using up some I had when I started.
I definitely prefer the rosin out of the lower micron bags for flower.
A lot of it is subjective and dependent on what your end goal is and personal preference.
Try it as many ways as you can and see.
👍🏿

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Personally, I LOVE a 160 bag and use them more than any other micron for flower.

In my experience, one's outcome and potential for contaminants is as much if not more dependent on the extractor's experience/skill/objective.

If you are trying to squish every last drip out of your pucks, pressing until your frames squeak under pressure, you will get contaminants with nearly any micron... if you are gentle, take your time, and are primarily seeking the best low temp golden flow, you are not pressing the crap out of your bags and you can get perfectly clean honey.

You will learn the threshold of different bags and how far you can push them.
I found my best education was when I was just pressing as much as possible of one strain. It will teach you how all the variables affect your press (humidity, pre-pressing or not, trim vs nug, different bagging styles, different speeds of extractions, etc). You will learn through experience how 5* increments can have a tremendous impact on quality and yield, and how aging rosin even just 1-2 days can have a tremendous impact on the stability of your material (oil> butter).

Enjoy your learning process, let the fun begin!

Last edited:

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I'm caught up with the last 50 odd pages of the thread. I feel like I'm reasonably prepared with some knowledge now! Thanks to everyone who posts in here, reading everyone's different process and how it's changed with time has been a really interesting read for the last few days.

The 37 and 25 micron bags, pre press, paper, and scales that measure 2 decimal places arrived. The press has now cleared customs I'm just waiting for the duty invoice and delivery now!

I'm very excited to find out how good the graveda unit is and if I'll regret not waiting for dabpress EU stock.

Man the waiting is so hard! 🤣

LesPlenty

Company Rep
scales that measure 2 decimal places arrived
I am waiting on a replacement for my 2 decimal point scale (good for weighing ounces)...hopefully a bit more useful when weighing rosin, only about US$15,
1622520304518.png

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Well, my press arrived yesterday, 12 days from ordering, Germany to UK, I think that's pretty good. To get to know the machine I pressed 2 8ths of larfy popcorn, blue cheese and grapefruit diesel. I got very little yield and it was quite sappy and dark, but I want expecting anything special. The grapefruit has been around for a couple of years and it's a firm favourite of mine in terms of flavour. I've had it as flower, BHO, and hair straightener rosin, but yesterday's dabs were the most delicious yet.

So this morning it was time for some serious fun! I pre heated the press and prepared a quarter each of zkittlez, do si dos, and alien gorilla.

I make a puck in my dulytek pre press, sort the bottom corners of the bag, place the puck in the filter, cut off excess and fold in the top.

First up, zkittlez. Press set to 80c I heatsoak the puck, then slowly increase pressure up to a Max of about 3k psi indicated. I get back 1.48g from one press. No blow out

IMG_20210605_124757_copy_1024x472.jpg
IMG_20210605_125328_copy_1024x472.jpg

Next up is the do si dos. I went a bit harder and a bit faster with this one. It's the oldest of the three, and the least photogenic! I got 1.14g from one press, a small blowout.

IMG_20210605_132824_copy_1024x472.jpg
IMG_20210605_133317_copy_1024x472.jpg

And finally the alien gorilla. I think this one needs a bit more temp as it didn't seem to flow. I yielded the least at 0.68g but I know there's more in there! Many large blowouts lol.

IMG_20210605_134420_copy_1024x472.jpg
IMG_20210605_134708_copy_1024x472.jpg
IMG_20210605_134918_copy_1024x472.jpg

Such a lot of fun!😁

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
Well, my press arrived yesterday, 12 days from ordering, Germany to UK, I think that's pretty good. To get to know the machine I pressed 2 8ths of larfy popcorn, blue cheese and grapefruit diesel. I got very little yield and it was quite sappy and dark, but I want expecting anything special. The grapefruit has been around for a couple of years and it's a fIrm favourite of mine in terms of flavour. I've had it as flower, BHO, and hair straightener rosin, but yesterday's dabs were the most delicious yet.

So this morning it was time for some serious fun! I pre heated the press and prepared a quarter each of zkittlez, do si dos, and alien gorilla.

I make a puck in my dulytek pre press, sort the bottom corners of the bag, place the puck in the filter, cut off excess and fold in the top.

First up, zkittlez. Press set to 80c I heatsoak the puck, then slowly increase pressure up to a Max of about 3k psi indicated. I get back 1.48g from one press. No blow out

View attachment 8766
View attachment 8767

Next up is the do si dos. I went a bit harder and a bit faster with this one. It's the oldest of the three, and the least photogenic! I got 1.14g from one press, a small blowout.

View attachment 8768
View attachment 8769

And finally the alien gorilla. I think this one needs a bit more temp as it didn't seem to flow. I yielded the least at 0.68g but I know there's more in there! Many large blowouts lol.

View attachment 8770
View attachment 8771
View attachment 8772

Such a lot of fun!😁
That's how it starts........lolz.
Next thing you know your buying tumblers and making thca.
😵

Therapy

Well, my press arrived yesterday, 12 days from ordering, Germany to UK, I think that's pretty good. To get to know the machine I pressed 2 8ths of larfy popcorn, blue cheese and grapefruit diesel. I got very little yield and it was quite sappy and dark, but I want expecting anything special. The grapefruit has been around for a couple of years and it's a firm favourite of mine in terms of flavour. I've had it as flower, BHO, and hair straightener rosin, but yesterday's dabs were the most delicious yet.

View attachment 8766
View attachment 8767

View attachment 8768
View attachment 8769

View attachment 8770
View attachment 8771
View attachment 8772

Such a lot of fun!😁
Nice, keep us posted how the Graveda press keeps up over the coming months. Looks like the easiest option atm in Europe for a prebuilt press.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
I've personally never gone above 90 for flower as I find the thicker bags a pain to use and no increase in yield, just contaminants.
I plan to go smaller next press.

For bubble etc I use 25 but contained within a 90 for additional strength.....

Wrt favourite bag provider I have no real preference and find with the correct technique that bags from any provider are fine. I've used bags from about 5 producers and found little difference but that's just me. I only press say 750g per year so my experience is fairly limited.....

I'm also interested in others views on good/bad bag producers.

LesPlenty

Company Rep

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I never have issues with contaminates with 160, I do find 160s are generally a stronger bag if I push the limit on pressure. I don't often push the limits, I press low temps and pressure, and don't tend to bother with second presses.

Last night was Platinum Huckleberry, not overly impressive vaped but pressed out beautifully. Came off the press as a solid crystal, crusty gold and white and stable to touch. I am assuming it is loaded with THCa.

I was a bit surprised, as I generally only get these results at lower temps... last night was 181* stabilized at 63% humidity [for 2 weeks].

The crystals did inhibit flow with 17% yield, but it is FIRE.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
160s are generally a stronger bag
The higher the micron number the fewer threads and are therefore not as strong as low micron bags so your findings must be manufacturer-based or you just got better at pressing when you changed to 160? (I used to get a few blowouts early on, not so much now)

damm

I use 3x5 Rosin Evolution 160 Micron bags to produce what I posted above.

On a 20T All-in-One unit from Lowtemp-plates.com, which frankly has been great, I can get up to 400PSI without blowing out. Past 400PSI, the real problem is the parchment paper shifting and tearing.

arb

Semi shaved ape
003.jpg
002.jpg
006.jpg

Temp was 180 in a 3" x 5" bag with 20 grams flower in a vertical pack.
18% return after 5 minutes or so.

Top Bottom