• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I use a knife edge for goopy shizz,much easier that that pokey tool.
😋

That was just for the video and scooping up a dabs worth!

Your face is a pokey tool! :D:p:love:

I have a couple of these...perfect for the job.

Literally had that bookmarked since I saw you post it a while ago (i assume it was you), you and arb have just reminded me to actually buy the bloody thing :)

2 on the way, thanks!

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@EmDeemo @invertedisdead @arb etc...LOL!

I found this article quite interesting on the topic of oil, water, pressure and heat!
It would appear that at critical temps oil and water will freely mix to form an emulsion, thanks @invertedisdead !!
So yes, the water is in the rosin!

Interesting find, definitely adds some insight to the question!
Although it says the critical temp of water is around 700F so I think there is likely an additional component involved. :science:

Baron23

I'm asking it as a question, I'm not certain of the answer, I'm just assuming that with no signs of moisture evacuating when pressing flower rosin, where could it go but in the rosin? That's one of the things I find interesting/quirky about flower rosin is the different RH effects, when hash rosin in comparison has nearly all of the plant material (and thus water) removed.

I'm just thinking, if one were to press an ounce of flower, there's quite a bit of water in there that is absent after pressing: with that much water being removed in a short amount of time it just seems like there would be condensation drops somewhere.

Normally oil and water don't mix, but I know from pressing fresh herb that is wet enough to cause the rosin to sizzle on the nail that the moisture in that dab isn't separating like oil and water normally do, it was emulsified, or something.
I believe so and my experience with a very accurate digital scale with precision to three decimal places has shown me that the rosin actually loses weight from first collected to some minutes later. I have seen this time and again and can only assume this is due to evaporation. Maybe. haha

arb

Semi shaved ape
I believe so and my experience with a very accurate digital scale with precision to three decimal places has shown me that the rosin actually loses weight from first collected to some minutes later. I have seen this time and again and can only assume this is due to evaporation. Maybe. haha
Most definitely water weight loss,nice to see you around.

shredder

@EmDeemo @invertedisdead @arb etc...LOL!

I found this article quite interesting on the topic of oil, water, pressure and heat!
It would appear that at critical temps oil and water will freely mix to form an emulsion, thanks @invertedisdead !!
So yes, the water is in the rosin!

I don't think cannabis oil would have the same characteristics as say 10w30. Lots of other things in cannabis oil.

Don't forget about terpenes. Being somewhat volatile they evaporate like water does. And there is more terpenes in fresh buds over older buds.

At times you see them leaking away on the edges of a slab of rosin. I try to reincorporate them into the rosin by stirring and mixing. Buttering usually results.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
So same lot of 72%, but lower temps. Its much, much easier to work with. No where near as runny and oily. I'll try another batch in a bit to see if it was just a particularly decent handful.

I think I could probably lower the temp down a bit more on the press. Wondering if there might be a press temp low enough for the 72% humidity stuff to not go to much like emulsion. Logically, this doesnt really make much sense to me, moisture is moisture but... this stuff is definitely thicker than the last press.

EDIT: Still too much moisture. This is good for getting the goods out of stuff that was horribly dry, but... eh, you all know :) Smells great, tastes great, works great, needs at least 24 hours to dry out properly now tho :)

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
What temps are you at?
Glad you found that, I usually press around 170 but vary depending on material.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: arb

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I like the 170 zone, depending on material. I also have a longer press process and sometimes will go 4-5 minutes and will keep flowing, even longer for 10+g presses

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
170f/72% press, this is much less slimy and collects up real easily after a few hours out in the open air at room temp.

Not sure this makes any sense to me as the rosin should still have the same humidity level as stuff pressed at higher temps (potentially more humidity than the higher press temp stuff), maybe its just the handfull i pulled out the jar, but it seems to collect up a lot better/easier.

I'll take the temp down just a little bit more and see if there are further changes to the resultant rosin.

EDIT: My vague thought is the higher the humidity level, and the higher the press temp, the more of that humidity gets squeezed out with the rosin? I guess that kinda makes sense? I dunno, any one got any thoughts other than "You're talking shit, mate"? :D

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Now try the lower temp with standard 62% humidity, even easier again to collect I would say.

That would be back where I started, the 62% will def be easier to collect up I reckon too.

Its not so much about getting the ease of collection with this tho, as it is about getting maximum extraction (not looking necessarily for increased yields tho) out of this stuff thats so dry, it likely wont press well at all without humidity added back into it. If I can get a nice mix of lower temps, higher humidity to increase flow, but not getting that emulsion like results that needs drying out for 2 days, I'll feel like I've learned something.

I guess even if it doesnt work, I'll still have learned something :)

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
That sounds right. Think about a fresh press, having that nice wet looking finish. Come back a few days and it tends to have a more matte finish.

I kinda think it's the volatile terpenes evaporating after pressing. I did a large batch the other day and the rosin would not stop bubbling (this is at room temp btw). It took about 4 days of heating and stirring before it settled down and stopped bubbling. And by bubbling I mean it would expand until it was physically pushing itself out the container.

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
The way it developed was interesting though. I heat it up, stir it and it would settle down (no more bubbles inside the rosin), then over the course of a few hours you can see the bubbles developing back up and growing larger as it expanded. I did this heat up and stir 3 times before it stopped bubbling.

arb

Semi shaved ape
I went through it for a while and not packing the container so full made it stop.
You can also heat it until it pours and that will make it stop.
I also roll it out like a tootsie roll and kind of feed it in and that helps also.
just remember to keep your fingers out of your eyes though.......I forget that one sometimes.
😀

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The way it developed was interesting though. I heat it up, stir it and it would settle down (no more bubbles inside the rosin), then over the course of a few hours you can see the bubbles developing back up and growing larger as it expanded. I did this heat up and stir 3 times before it stopped bubbling.

If you heated the jar continuously the bubbles were probably from decarboxylation. Realistically it’s a combination of decarb, air/oxidation, and terpene/moisture loss. Heating with the lid on causes essential oils to vaporize and condense which builds pressure in the jar, which is where you see much of the temporary expansion in volume. Heat + pressure = diamonds.

Top Bottom