Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I have been ruminating over humidity.

I realize my meters are really only measuring levels in the air, but that does not necessarily mean that the flower has stabilized at that same humidity.

How long do you feel a jar/cvault/etc. needs to maintain the same humidity before the buds stabilize at that humidity?

LesPlenty

Company Rep
How long do you feel a jar/cvault/etc. needs to maintain the same humidity before the buds stabilize at that humidity?
It will depend on a lot of different factors, jar size, ambient temps, Boveda if used and size, how often you open the jar, starting humidity, colas or small buds, how tightly packed in the container, etc. I like to leave the buds in with Boveda packs for a couple of months after curing/burping to make sure all is well (I use quart mason jars).
If using a small jar with small loose-packed buds sealed in with a Boveda I would guess a week...and that is a guess.

shredder

I have been ruminating over humidity.

I realize my meters are really only measuring levels in the air, but that does not necessarily mean that the flower has stabilized at that same humidity.

Good question, the earliest I press is when the buds are ready for jars. I hang trimmed stems a few days then take the buds off the stems and put them in paper bags. I control the drying by opening or closing the bags. A closed bag is somewhat like a jar in that the buds do equal out in humidity if the bag stays closed, but eventually they start getting more and more dry and thats when I put them in jars with humidity packs or start pressing.

Pressing that early usually makes a light colored rosin that budders easy and has a fresh terpene rich taste. Those fresh terpenes eventually mature into a smoother but slightly less flavorful rosin. No terp bite iow, but you can dab real fresh stuff at pretty low temps for a really nice session.

I guess overall bud dryness is what im looking at, but my methods somewhat stabilize humidity as well. Make sense? Ive tried pressing earlier but wasn't happy with the results. Basically a wet gooey mess that could be avoided by just waiting a few days.

Some of my best efforts have been from older buds. The rosin will be dark but very smooth. I like both rosin from fresh or aged buds, they both have their good points.

Im thinking about taking a stab at pressing dry sift hash next. Ive done a little before but never had enough dry hash, so I ordered a tumbler.

shredder

Humidity of the air or moisture content of the flower?
if your asking me, when I typed humidity, I should have typed moisture content of the buds. The humidity of my room is sometimes out of my control when its hot and humid, I don't run a dehumidifier then because running it raises temperatures, so buds dry slower then.

A lot of my plants ive grown for a long time, so past experience comes into it after a while. And a lot of trial and error, lol. And like @LesPlenty mentioned the variables come into it as well. My drying goes faster in the winter because of low humidity then.

BTW, ive pressed in low and high humidity without any great problems, like I sometimes hear.

arb

Semi shaved ape
I just hate pressing fresh,moist bud anymore.
Messy,harsher on my throat..........harsh may not be the right word.
Makes my throat spasm like low temp flower vaping does.
I love well cured and dried flower rosin though smooth and subtle.
Kieff rosin seems the most low key flavor wise but smooth.
I nave no idea what the moisture content of my flower is or the humidity in my containers.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I have settled on 10g cylindrical pucks (40mm) as these give me the right amount of rosin for my containers (1.5 to 2.2g usually). They also seem to be the most I can push into my prepress puck maker by just leaning on the puck, any more weight is harder to fit between the press jaws.
I also tend to blow out pucks with more than 12 to 15g in them unless I press for a couple of minutes longer very slowly adding pressure.

shredder

What do you all find to be the minimum amount that is meaningful enough to press?

I tend to stick to 5 and 10g at a time.

I use filter bags that are roughly 12 grams each. I can't remember pressing less than 5 bags at a time, but I'm also a caregiver providing for patients so I keep an inventory of rosins in different flavors.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate

Here's a relatively short guide on how to make Rosin if anyone is interested.....I'm sure most of you know the process but for any newb's out there (like myself!) I hope this is helpful!

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I tend to stick with 5g or 10g presses, but recently I came across a variety of 8ths... I vaped .5 and have been pressing 3g pucks.

I'm not a fan of 3g pucks, minimal yield for the effort, but I like the variety of rosin it provides.

I've been bagging with 160, but think it is somewhat wasted at this amount. I've thought about simply prepress and press without a bag, but I prefer how the bag filters out a little more of the plant matter.

MinnBobber

I tend to stick with 5g or 10g presses, but recently I came across a variety of 8ths... I vaped .5 and have been pressing 3g pucks.

I'm not a fan of 3g pucks, minimal yield for the effort, but I like the variety of rosin it provides.

I've been bagging with 160, but think it is somewhat wasted at this amount. I've thought about simply prepress and press without a bag, but I prefer how the bag filters out a little more of the plant matter.

So 160 u bags, what temp and time for your presses.

Very newbie here but bags suck as they take a lot of time. But better filtering is nice.
Experimenting needed with :
-Bags and pre-press with heavy prepress for rock hard puck
-Bags with prepress and moderate pack with pre press
-Bags with small bud flowers, just fill out the bag. This would seem to fill bags full, the best?
Dealing with folding in corners sucks!! Fill out the stock unfolded bottom.... cause any blowouts??
- Chottle bag: normal bottom but open on top, no fold over.
- Just bag cylinder, open on both ends.
Any Leakage of plant yuck ??
- Just buds raw, prepressed, was ok but not likely to work best ...

MinnBobber,

shredder

Very newbie here but bags suck as they take a lot of time. But better filtering is nice

That depends on what type of press and plates you are using. In some set ups it might not matter. For me it does and so does a pre press. I use a two by four pre press, two by four point five bags, and 3 x 5 plates. The extra on the bag folds over helping contain the herb. I also use oil slick papers.

Without a bag but using that paper on my 20 ton press will squeeze even small amounts all over. Including into the rosin. Over stuffing bags will make blow outs more likely than a moderate fill. Pre pressing helps with blow outs too.

And nothing beats experience. Press enough and you will find a rhythm and method that suits you. I haven't had a bag filled with buds blow out in a long time and I press quite a bit.

chris 71

So I have a question for you rosin guys . I'm getting my first press , 4 ton dabpress should be here by the weekend cant wait to try it out .

So my question is regarding fats lipids and waxes im trying to understand how hash and hash rosin is supossed to have less fats and lipids then squished flower ?

The fats lipids and waxes are oils in the tricombes and the outer shell of the tricombes are they not ? even the canabiniods them selfs are fats

Hash is concentrated tricombes, how then is it not as rich in fats and lipids ? If that's what its made up of ?

mc

So I have a question for you rosin guys . I'm getting my first press , 4 ton dabpress should be here by the weekend cant wait to try it out .

So my question is regarding fats and lipids im trying to understand how hash and hash rosin is supossed to have less fats and lipids then squished flower ?

The fats and lipids are oils in the tricombes and the outer shell of the tricombes are they not ? even the canabiniods them selfs are fats are they not ?

Hash is concentrated tricombes, how then is it not as rich in fats and lipids ? If that's what its made up of ?
Yes, it's all fats and sugars. But you aren't pressing the leaf material along side the trichomes when you press hash. However the type of hash you press matters. If you press garbage black hash with a tone of crap fats in it, you're going to notice.

What you see people press is bubble(ice water) hash which is pretty much just the trichomes. So what you start with is only the basic lipids holding in the canabinoid fats, nothing else. And you're still goign to get other fats/sugars in it, it's not goign to be 100% THC.

However over time dabbing both flower and bubble hash rosin, or even better live rosin. you'll notice a huge difference. Both in potency and how long you can hit it before it tasts like crap. Real clean bubble hash rosin can be hit until it's pretty much gone. But flower rosin will sour after a few hits. You'll see, and welcome aboard, you will love it!

chris 71

Thanks for the reply , I still don't really get it though I mean for the hash to have less fats and lipids then the flower it would mean that there must be a lot of fats in the actual green leaf material ?

Is this the answer that there is fats in the leafy vegetable material ? And if so just how much coukd there possibly be to make that much of a difference since most of the oily ness and yeild is from the tricombes?

Last edited:
chris 71,

mc

Thats for the reply , I still don't really get it though I mean for the hash to have less fats and lipids then the flower it would mean that there must be a lot of fats in the actual green leaf material ?
Well when you do bubble hash there's a lot of crap in the bottom screen (everything under 40u) that's GARBAGE stuff. Which I assume is all going into the flower rosin. There's a whole cleaning process with making bubble hash and why you can't press black hash. Black hash is dirty, don't ever press it.

And don't get me wrong, it's ALL wax. So what peopel really mean is junk wax and other crap.

chris 71

Ok so I been practicing a bit . just squished some full spectrum fresh frozen bubble hash I made last winter squished through 37 micron bag 7 grams in 3.77 out .

So is this still considered live rosin even though the bubble hash was a year old ?
I will post pics of I can figure out how

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Thanks for the reply , I still don't really get it though I mean for the hash to have less fats and lipids then the flower it would mean that there must be a lot of fats in the actual green leaf material ?

Is this the answer that there is fats in the leafy vegetable material ? And if so just how much coukd there possibly be to make that much of a difference since most of the oily ness and yeild is from the tricombes?

The entire plant is coated in epicuticular wax.

When you press flower (or trim) you’re melting all that wax (nonacosane) into the end product.

The better the hash, the cleaner the rosin.

mc

Ok so I been practicing a bit . just squished some full spectrum fresh frozen bubble hash I made last winter squished through 37 micron bag 7 grams in 3.77 out .

So is this still considered live rosin even though the bubble hash was a year old ?
I will post pics of I can figure out how
It's not going to be the same as it was in the first few days but it's technically true. Pressing Fresh Frozen Bubble hash = Live Rosin. It's going to have those terps that would normally evaporate quickly during cure.

chris 71

The entire plant is coated in epicuticular wax.

When you press flower (or trim) you’re melting all that wax (nonacosane) into the end product.

The better the hash, the cleaner the rosin.
So are these waxes bad for us health whys other them changing the taste ?

Edit . I guess they can't be that bad seeing as how I been smoking them for 25 years and vaping them for 10 lol still alive and kicking 😂

Top Bottom