Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
LOL, I feel the same way.

Full melt bubble is the only thing left that I actually enjoy combusting.

Like you said..... there simply IS no better taste. LOL

smoking full melt hash would be like 109x more sacreligious than rosining it and putting it in a pen. That combustion literally flashes off all those terpenes and medicinal compounds that have been so painstakingly preserved.

Baron23

Here's my notes on Dake Rosin Press Builds. @ACitizenOfCo

The Dake is a very capable press. I personally recomend a min of 20 tons as the press is a one time investment and the loss of rosin yield will be felt forever.

I suggest this setup of 4" stainless steel plates. You can substitute the controller for the dual enail if your dab bar is not complete yet. https://www.newvape.com/quad-output-4-stainless-plates-bundle

ram_design.jpg

for the folks that are not familiar with "H frame"

h_frame.jpg
@NewVape710 Great set of informative posts!! :rockon::tup:

I'm certainly not wanting to start any sort of negative comparisons to other manf, but I will say that while NV press parts may not be the least expensive, they are of bullet proof high quality, have SS pressing surfaces, are made in the USA of top quality material machined to very fine tolerances, and you get USA based NV engineering, support, and maintenance.

Just something for people to consider.

JCat

Accessory Maker
It seems to wick up really high quality hash rosin fine, seen a few on IG with rosin sauce in a pen. It's flower rosin that's more tricky as it has more contaminant. It seems to wick okay, but I could taste the waxes being continually heated on the coil. Winterizing would work, my state doesn't like etoh so I haven't tried it. I've considered ordering some online to try but I always come to the realization that at that point I might as well just extract with etoh to begin with. With dry ice temps you can avoid pulling those fats altogether.

To be honest even some of my flower rosin tastes singed lately on the nail, I notice some strains or grows or something just can't hold up to the heat, and even on a low temp dab the flavor on the second hit can be quite degraded.

Another method I haven't tried yet but still curious about is re-pressing some rosin to get those terps separated, and then using that to flavor something clean like distillate and just put that in a pen.

Coming up with a direct-to-cart solution that isn't fiddly is tricky. With 6 star bubble hash you could rosin that and load it right in a pen. Winterized flower rosin plus a couple drops of terps could work well but is it worth it? Depends on your stance on food terps, with real cannabis terps that are $$$ probably not. Then again for a grower whose material cost is lower buying some terps might not be such a big expense. Lots of variables. In the end I'm not sure we can do it cheaper than the pros as far as economy of scale but it depends on ones access. Here in a legal state we have more options than others.
What about pressing flower rosin with a fine micron size bag to remove more contaminants (such as 90, 60, or even 37 micron)? Or re-pressing the flower rosin with a fine mesh (ie. start with 160micron and then do 37 or 32 micron?) ... thinking maybe the double press as you might have problems w/ blowouts etc trying to press flower directly in 37 micron ...

I'd be ok w/ even spending the money on the raw cannabis terpenes ... cost of distillate here is about $50/gram avg, which is pretty good, and cost of good quality CO2 oil is maybe $50-$70/g ... I'm not sure I can produce something cheaper for the cost of the material I am putting in, however, I can get consistent flower strains which is important to me as I find certain strains work best for me ... had a bunch of distillate and CO2 oil on me this weekend when out of town, but found myself frequently taking the time to do a rosin dab, as my rosin just "works" better ...

I guess I want control :)

Although real cannabis terpenes are expensive, even at a couple hundred dollars for a bottle, as long as it goes quite a ways and makes lots of 1g carts, then I'm ok with that cost ... ccell carts just work so well and the convenience is so nice!

Edit: I ordered some 60u and 37u from AZPressCo :lol:

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
What about pressing flower rosin with a fine micron size bag to remove more contaminants (such as 90, 60, or even 37 micron)? Or re-pressing the flower rosin with a fine mesh (ie. start with 160micron and then do 37 or 32 micron?) ... thinking maybe the double press as you might have problems w/ blowouts etc trying to press flower directly in 37 micron ...

I'd be ok w/ even spending the money on the raw cannabis terpenes ... cost of distillate here is about $50/gram avg, which is pretty good, and cost of good quality CO2 oil is maybe $50-$70/g ... I'm not sure I can produce something cheaper for the cost of the material I am putting in, however, I can get consistent flower strains which is important to me as I find certain strains work best for me ... had a bunch of distillate and CO2 oil on me this weekend when out of town, but found myself frequently taking the time to do a rosin dab, as my rosin just "works" better ...

I guess I want control :)

Although real cannabis terpenes are expensive, even at a couple hundred dollars for a bottle, as long as it goes quite a ways and makes lots of 1g carts, then I'm ok with that cost ... ccell carts just work so well and the convenience is so nice!

Edit: I ordered some 60u and 37u from AZPressCo :lol:

I pressed this through a 50u.

vffchhhtzdq11.jpg

The biggest issue with flower rosin is the amount of plant waxes. Terpenes can adjust the viscosity but even the smaller micron filters aren't enough to really filter out that type of plant fat. You want as little wax as possible so it doesn't clog the ccell prefilter or burn on the ceramic coil.

It depends on the starting consistency of your rosin and how waxy it is, the more dry and stable an extract is, the more terpenes it will need to thin. IMO real cannabis terpenes are expensive though so I've moved on to messing with getting live resin sauce in a pen instead right now.
Considered winterizing rosin but it's too much work I'm thinking as it still might need a few drops of terpenes. Although winterized material would need quite a bit less terpenes than a waxy concentrate so it would be more efficient there.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
I don't know why everybody is searching for terps made out of canna? Terps are terps despite the plant of origin!? I would look for natural plant/fruit terps too but why shall it be from canna?
Prices for canna terps are really ridiculous.
BTW what are the best offfers for terps you know?

Last edited:

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I don't know why everybody is searching for terps made out of canna? Terps are terps despite the plant of origin!? I would look of natural plant/fruit terps too but why shall it be from canna?
This is so wrong and we have discussed it rather thoroughly in other threads. It does make a difference as your never going to get the natural terp profile with a mixture of terps, especially considering making terp profiles is guess work. The only true way to capture a strain specific terpene profile is to get it directly from the cannabis strain.

If you just want water...order the other terpenes that are not from cannabis. But if you are making medicine or trying to simulate a strain then go with the correct product and get your self some canna terpenes.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
This is so wrong and we have discussed it rather thoroughly in other threads. It does make a difference as your never going to get the natural terp profile with a mixture of terps, especially considering making terp profiles is guess work. The only true way to capture a strain specific terpene profile is to get it directly from the cannabis strain.

If you just want water...order the other terpenes that are not from cannabis. But if you are making medicine or trying to simulate a strain then go with the correct product and get your self some canna terpenes.

True, you'll never fully replicate the flavor of a strain using non-cannabis terpenes. But if that isn't necessarily the goal, I don't see it as an issue. If you just need something that thins out the viscosity and adds a familiar flavor that might be close to some strains flavor, then I don't see the issue.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I don't know why everybody is searching for terps made out of canna? Terps are terps despite the plant of origin!? I would look of natural plant/fruit terps too but why shall it be from canna?

I've yet to taste a food terp profile that truly tasted like cannabis. They are all too one dimensional like a cheap essential oil. Real cannabis terpenes have a very complex rounded flavor and full mouthfeel, sort of like biting into a ripe summer strawberry versus a strawberry gummy candy.

The prices for canna terps reflect the low yield.
IMO food terps cannot get you medicated in the same way either, it sort of simulates an entourage effect but it feels incomplete to me. Which it is, the terpene profile is always missing those minor terps which create the rounded out flavors, instead they tend to be heavily reliant on monoterpenes.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
If you just need something that thins out the viscosity and adds a familiar flavor that might be close to some strains flavor, then I don't see the issue.

Yep, that was exactly the background of my question. Sorry for my missing intention in my last post.
For sure, if you want to get the terp profile of a special strain into your juice nothing seems to be better than an extraction of terpenes just out of that strain.

JCat

Accessory Maker
I pressed this through a 50u.

vffchhhtzdq11.jpg

The biggest issue with flower rosin is the amount of plant waxes. Terpenes can adjust the viscosity but even the smaller micron filters aren't enough to really filter out that type of plant fat. You want as little wax as possible so it doesn't clog the ccell prefilter or burn on the ceramic coil.

It depends on the starting consistency of your rosin and how waxy it is, the more dry and stable an extract is, the more terpenes it will need to thin. IMO real cannabis terpenes are expensive though so I've moved on to messing with getting live resin sauce in a pen instead right now.
Considered winterizing rosin but it's too much work I'm thinking as it still might need a few drops of terpenes. Although winterized material would need quite a bit less terpenes than a waxy concentrate so it would be more efficient there.
I think I’m leaning towards trying to winterize it (just what I want to put in a pen I think)

I think I at least want to try ... guess I need a vac purge setup (anything worth doing is worth doing right!)

Any recommendations? I was looking at this with a 3CFM single stage pump ...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/123004354491

You can get live resin here, but it’s hard enough to come by (grey market) and $75+ per gram! (So adding real Cannabis terpenes to my rosin might be cheaper :lol: )

roboticnightmares

I think I’m leaning towards trying to winterize it (just what I want to put in a pen I think)

I think I at least want to try ... guess I need a vac purge setup (anything worth doing is worth doing right!)

Any recommendations? I was looking at this with a 3CFM single stage pump ...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/123004354491

You can get live resin here, but it’s hard enough to come by (grey market) and $75+ per gram! (So adding real Cannabis terpenes to my rosin might be cheaper :lol: )

No need to winterize for ccell. Have a buddy mixing terps with rosin. It works, is smooth. I just cant stand the added terps.

Apparently there are companies (dablogic) putting out rosin carts, no additional terps added, or any other thinners.
I suspect they are running fresh frozen with high terpene plants, and preserving the natural terps on the fresh frozen and making rosin that ends up with the saucy consistency they can transfer to the carts. Again , no winteizing.

anasrzi

Id prefer to keep away from winterizing my rosin just to get it into a cell. How exactly are they doing fresh frozen and pressing it @roboticnightmares ? would have thought a shit ton of water would be extracted in the process but i'm not a rosin artist :shrug:

anasrzi,

roboticnightmares

I suspect they make bubble hash with fresh frozen and then freeze dry overnight with fancy freezers. Then press. I think they probably grow or source particular strains that would have very high terpene content at harvest.

Edit: there is probably more to it, but i know they dont winterize.

JCat

Accessory Maker
No need to winterize for ccell. Have a buddy mixing terps with rosin. It works, is smooth. I just cant stand the added terps.

Apparently there are companies (dablogic) putting out rosin carts, no additional terps added, or any other thinners.
I suspect they are running fresh frozen with high terpene plants, and preserving the natural terps on the fresh frozen and making rosin that ends up with the saucy consistency they can transfer to the carts. Again , no winteizing.
Well live rosin really isn't an option for me, and getting fresh right now is also not an option for me ... so ...

Very interesting that it works without winterizing, but still might be better no if it is winterized? Both from the perspective of having less wax so taste would be better on the ccell ceramic/coil, wouldn't clog up as quickly, and would require less terpenes which are quite expensive if purchasing cannabis derived ones? (as per @invertedisdead 's hypotheses above)

Edit: Back to the cannabis vs non-cannabis derived terpenes, what about adding "flavourless/odourless" non-cannabis derived terpenes to your rosin (winterized or not) in order to get it to a proper consistency for the cart; although there would be a drop or two of non-cannabis derived terpenes, would not your cannabis derived ones from your rosin come through for the most part? (maybe not ideal to use "filler", but maybe ok? After all, pretty sure all the distillate available out there is flavoured w/ non-cannabis derived terps, so this might be a step above those in a lot of ways ... winterized rosin w/ a drop or two of non-cannabis derived terps for consistency?)

I was looking at this maybe ... (seems an ok price @ $175 for 25mL):

https://www.bulkaromatics.com/#noflavor

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Like I said a few posts back, if you press 6 star bubble hash (least amount of plant fats possible in a solventless mechanical extraction) you don't need to add terpenes or winterize. It's flower rosin that is more tricky. Dablogic makes very high quality hash rosin first which is re-pressed to separate the terpene fraction and then used in carts.

Edit: Back to the cannabis vs non-cannabis derived terpenes, what about adding "flavourless/odourless" non-cannabis derived terpenes to your rosin (winterized or not) in order to get it to a proper consistency for the cart; although there would be a drop or two of non-cannabis derived terpenes, would not your cannabis derived ones from your rosin come through for the most part? (maybe not ideal to use "filler", but maybe ok? After all, pretty sure all the distillate available out there is flavoured w/ non-cannabis derived terps, so this might be a step above those in a lot of ways ... winterized rosin w/ a drop or two of non-cannabis derived terps for consistency?)

I've never tried them but most people say the "flavorless" terpenes still have a flavor, some quite peculiar.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I would recommend doing some more reading on adding terpenes before wasting money on filler you likely will not end up using. As @invertedisdead mentioned, most people that have tried food grade terpenes have not been satisfied. I believe you can find some talk of this in the Trinity thread amongst others. This may be new to some of you, however adding terpenes to your rosin has been tried, tested and discussed plenty enough you don't have to guess. A little research into other threads will show you that @invertedisdead and I are just relaying what we read almost a year or so ago...and it was not that new then either, just new for us. We were both on the same pursuit to find a cart that would take homemade medicine (rosin) or find a way to turn our homemade medicine into a sauce that would work in ccell and similar carts including the Trinity.

I bought some of the expensive terps from Blue River and can tell you they stank my house up like reefer. They had a cannabis smell and flavor and when added to some wax that was not very strong or flavorful it kicked it up a little.

roboticnightmares

Well live rosin really isn't an option for me, and getting fresh right now is also not an option for me ... so ...

Very interesting that it works without winterizing, but still might be better no if it is winterized? Both from the perspective of having less wax so taste would be better on the ccell ceramic/coil, wouldn't clog up as quickly, and would require less terpenes which are quite expensive if purchasing cannabis derived ones? (as per @invertedisdead 's hypotheses above)

I have found winterizing a soft rosin resulted in product that was like shatter. Winterizing often results in loss of terpenes. So you would find yourself adding more terps to get it thin enough to transfer to carts.
From my understanding you would need considerably more than just a few drops per gram to get it to thin out enough. I have seen as high as .5 grams of terpenes to 1 gram concentrate. Which i think is distusting. The co2 carts for example have been fully decarbed so they end up being easier to work with than shatter. In fact you could decarb your rosin , and in theory would need to add back fewer terpene since decarbed material is softer.
When people are adding just a drop or a few per gram of concentratre they also end up using some kind of liquidizer as well. Which again, i find gross. But thats me.

roboticnightmares,
Reactions: JCat

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Has anyone tried isolating the THC-a from the rosin and then decarbing it? I feel like that would give us close to a raw distillate consistancy and be clean. Adding back in cannabis terps at this point should be like what we're doing now with distillate in the carts, I am using about 1 drop per 0.5ml of distillate and enjoy the flavor intensity.

I suspect they make bubble hash with fresh frozen and then freeze dry overnight with fancy freezers. Then press. I think they probably grow or source particular strains that would have very high terpene content at harvest.

Edit: there is probably more to it, but i know they dont winterize.

I have to post: be careful of Harvest Right.

I bought one three years ago. It never worked. Customer service was a nightmare.

I got it explicitly for food purposes. I didn't know about freeze drying bubble or flower.

Do not trust this. Do not let other people talk about trusting this. They are shills. Search youtube and forums. Check the wayback machine for Harvestrightsucks.com. They scammed a man who proved it, created a website about their actions, and threatened to file a BBB complaint if they didn't fix the problem.

That is the only thing that fixed the issue. I've also heard that they refuse to do business with the weed community, that they won't service machines they believe were used for weed.

I regret supporting them. I lost almost $4,000 to something that never worked.

roboticnightmares

I have to post: be careful of Harvest Right.

I bought one three years ago. It never worked. Customer service was a nightmare.

I got it explicitly for food purposes. I didn't know about freeze drying bubble or flower.

Do not trust this. Do not let other people talk about trusting this. They are shills. Search youtube and forums. Check the wayback machine for Harvestrightsucks.com. They scammed a man who proved it, created a website about their actions, and threatened to file a BBB complaint if they didn't fix the problem.

That is the only thing that fixed the issue. I've also heard that they refuse to do business with the weed community, that they won't service machines they believe were used for weed.

I regret supporting them. I lost almost $4,000 to something that never worked.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this company. I have absolutely no plans on getting one of those things. I grow a few plants at time for myself. And could never afford to spend thousands of dollars on a freezer. Funny enough , those things are definitely popping up a lot on instagram on canna related pages.
They have some nerve when they know damn well most people in2017, 2018 are probably buying for canna related purposes.

greenstatevt

Has anyone tried isolating the THC-a from the rosin and then decarbing it? I feel like that would give us close to a raw distillate consistancy and be clean. Adding back in cannabis terps at this point should be like what we're doing now with distillate in the carts, I am using about 1 drop per 0.5ml of distillate and enjoy the flavor intensity.

ie. this? A couple questions too:

1. Would this be akin to pushing the fats and lipids out of the rosin leaving the THCa behind?
2. Does it get decarbed in the press due to the heat?
3. worth it for the return?
4. Then what and how much filler would you need to mix with it with to make a decent oil for cart/pen...

pxl_jockey

Just a dude

What type and brand of drops are you using with your distillate @psychonaut ? I’m just curious but know nothing about the terps available to regular folks. Are these the same kind the big cartridge manufacturers are using? Is distillate without flavour until you’ve added terpenes back in? So many questions, sorry.

pxl_jockey,

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
'Jar tech' might achieve similar results?
I've seen it mentioned here on FC, but dont really know much about it other than it can reduce viscosity, and seperate some of the components of rosin?

Can anyone tell me the name of the guy on instagram who's entire 'story' is the development of jartech?

I meant to follow him, but musta followed the # jartech by mistake instead, now I can't find him!

I'm surprised there isn't more talk of it here on FC, or even a thread?

Copacetic,
Top Bottom