Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

DabPress.com

3x3 is only $199 and the quality is unbelievable.

FREE shipping worldwide.

A ton of people here own them (including me) and everyone is 100% happy. That's pretty rare in any product.

I have the 3x7 caged setup.

They have a tiny 'all-in-one' unit that everyone seems to love...

dabpress-dab-press-machine-rosin-heat-press-plates-kit-weselltech-tuopuke-all-in-one-rosin-press-impact-4-min_1024x1024.jpg

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@ACitizenOfCo Dabpress is for real. Many respected members sing their praises, they are top quality. Their US-based company rep on this very forum, is a rosineer pioneer and lives around the corner from you, relatively speaking. Another knowledgeable experienced member who has built several presses @Hackerman has just replied to you recommending Dabpress, I recommend listening to him.

Also, since it seems you’re wanting something for smaller squishing they are about to release two more all-in-one units. The one I want will have 3x3 round plates and is for 1-7 gram runs. @invertedisdead is another of those members who really knows his stuff that I mentioned and he just beat me to the punch on the press I’m talking about. You should hold off and read the dabpress thread in the meantime, it will answer your questions and then some! Good luck, and welcome to F.C., stick around and hang out!

Thank you all for the replies!

I'll get in touch with dabpress, but does anyone know about when the new presses are coming out?

I've got a tent that's coming down tomorrow. That means a bit of curing time, then into jars. I've heard about freezing it, but haven't talked to anyone that's done it.

I know this question is about processing and not systems, but is it possible to hold onto flower in jars or a freezer until the new units come out?

I'm very grateful for all of your input!

I have heard it will be the middle of next month for the new press release.

Didn't you say you already had a shop press? If you do, I might suggest the caged plates in 3x5. Very versatile size.

I have heard it will be the middle of next month for the new press release.

Didn't you say you already had a shop press? If you do, I might suggest the caged plates in 3x5. Very versatile size.
Thanks for the response!

I don't have a press yet. I was describing my current plant to build a press using a Dake B 10 and some 3x3s.

Since reading the responses, I've looked into dabpress a bit and appreciate both the recommendation and what I see in the company.

I live in CO and grow small scale, my current research lead me to the belief that smaller is better regarding plate size, specifically given my scale. I'd rather run a lot of small presses than fewer larger ones. I'll also be experimenting with larf processing either in bubble or dry sift.

Is there a consensus about which is better for rosin pressing: dry sift or bubble? Does ease of use or cost of entry for either product clearly distinguish it from the other?

Completely unrelated, but given the knowledge here about concentrates, if doing bubble, are Bubbleman's bags or one of his other high priced competitors clearly better than their bubbledude bages on Amazon? I'm trying to get my feet wet as cheaply as possible.

Between dry sift, bubble hash and any other trim and larf processing method, is one clearly better for making pure, contaminant free hash?

Sorry for the barrage of questions at once. I'm a regular on rollitup but find these rosin threads to be more developed.

And just to ask again, do flowers and larf need to be processed immediately? Can they hang and cure for a while?

The lore online indicates that the best return rates for flower occur around 62% RH. Has that been your experience?

How long do people hang before jaring/freezing?

Thank you hackerman and everyone for your help so far. I'm so grateful to those responding and those who shared their experiences elsewhere on this forum. I'm diving into the content here.

ACitizenOfCo,
Reactions: miguelovic

shredder

Anyone used a air assist hydrolic jack on their press?

I have a twenty ton HF press, and in a HF flier I've seen the air operated jacks listed. ($119 iirc) But not sure how I'd like it.

shredder,
To be honest... since you don't have real specific needs, it becomes a matter of space, finances and plain old.... "I like that one". LOL

If you are not pressed for space... your world is wide open, Rather if space is low, definitely look at the all-in-one units.

Same with money. If you can afford it and have the space, you might like the 3x7 plates and a floor press from Harbor Freight. That's my current setup. I can press large lots if I want but just last week I made some posts (in this thread) about doing some 1 gram presses. I had some samples of different strains and I just took one gram from each strain and pressed it. My point is... you don't need a small press to do small presses.

As for... Damn, I like that one..... have you seen the stainless one. OMG, I love that one.

On a budget... a Harbor Freight A-frame press and the 3x3 plates. I think that's about $250. Top of the line... I would say is the stainless model.

Most popular and most practical.... the 3x5 caged plates with any floor press from Dake to Harbor Freight.

Pressing dry sift or flower or whatever.... is usually a matter of what's available to whomever. I use popcorn, usually. I have had shitty luck pressing dry sift and worse luck pressing bubble. All the flavor of the individual.

One thing that seems consistent. Sugar leaves and the like don't press so well. It's usually better to dry sift those and press the sift.

Not sure where you are in CO but the factory rep here lives there. You might be neighbors and can just use his. LOL

Anyone used a air assist hydrolic jack on their press?

I have a twenty ton HF press, and in a HF flier I've seen the air operated jacks listed. ($119 iirc) But not sure how I'd like it.

I think the only reports I heard on that topic was in the thread at ICMag and the guy just kept saying..... WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU. WHAT? WHAT DID YOU SAY? I CAN'T HEAR YOU. WHAT?"

LMAO

However, in full disclosure I use my air compressor when I dry sift. I made a screen box and I use a paint shaker to dry sift. LOL

What do you guys think about caged vs uncaged? Will the round plate press have the same alignment issues as the 3x3 square plates?

For me... it's caged plates all the way. Drop and drag (so to speak). Perfect alignment every time. This 3x7 is my 5th or 6th rosin press and I really like the caged plate idea.

I never had alignment problems with any of my presses. Even my home mades. No matter what, after you get so much pressure, shit straightens out.

At least, that's been my experience

Last edited by a moderator:
Hackerman,
Thank you for all the information.

To be clear, you've never had any alignment issues with any of your presses, non-caged included?

I'm trying to make this as cheaply as possible. if the 3x3 work, I'd rather go with them.

But, if they are a pain to align, if 3x3s go out of alignment easily, if it is possible for the screws to snap or bend?

ACitizenOfCo,
Reactions: shredder

Bandoo

Sorry to change the subject..
Has anybody tried to press with stainless steel foil or anything else instead of parchment?
Also does rosin have a much better taste than bho with the same bud?
Thanks a lot :brow:

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Sorry to change the subject..
Has anybody tried to press with stainless steel foil or anything else instead of parchment?
Also does rosin have a much better taste than bho with the same bud?
Thanks a lot :brow:

I asked this sometime back and someone did try it (can't find my query/reply now, might have been @herbivore21) but it was a failure.
I can't remember if it failed due to collection difficulty or herb just burning/sticking to the foil.
It sounded like a wasteful mess sadly.

I did also suggest Ti foil (maybe seasoned to prevent stuff sticking, like seasoning a Ti bucket, or a wok so that food doesent stick to it), but I don't recall anyone trying it.
Understandable really, there's no way I could find/afford enough herb to 'experiment' in this way.
I keep thinking I'll build a press to try it with hops just to see if it can be made to work with similar plant matter, but although I've bought a cheap hydraulic ram, I've never gone any further with the construction of a press.
(can't get/afford enough decent herb to risk losing it pressing rosin, it's REALLY hard to find top shelf stuff where I am, expensive too) :shrug:

One day when I can afford it, I'll get a cheap Chinese PID/plate kit and build a press, one day :doh:

elmomuzz

That just happened...
Second, please educate me on plate manufacturers. So far, I only know about LowTemp plates for 3x3. I know dabpress makes a 3x3, but how can the make it for $300 less than everyone else? Is it less hard components? Are other companies like lowtemp just jacking up their prices? Are there any other companies that have been in business for a few years that I should look at?

Dabpress actually uses higher quality materials and a better design then lowtemp.

Baron23

Hackerman,
Thank you for all the information.

To be clear, you've never had any alignment issues with any of your presses, non-caged included?

I'm trying to make this as cheaply as possible. if the 3x3 work, I'd rather go with them.

But, if they are a pain to align, if 3x3s go out of alignment easily, if it is possible for the screws to snap or bend?
I'm not suggesting this press to you as its in another price range than I believe you are looking for, but these are non-caged plates. Why...because the frame has absolutely NO give.

IMO, cages are to compensate for lack of rigidity of the frame...if frame and support are sufficient, then no cage is needed. Otherwise, the cage provide the rigidity and alignment not provided by the press frame.

This is a NewVape Micro20. Pressing surface is SS (not anodized AL) while the SS is backed by AL plates to reduce some weight and perhaps improve heating time. NV makes GREAT stuff and they make other press products also so check them out:

https://www.newvape.com/rosinpress
https://www.newvape.com/rosinpress/rosin-press-kits
https://www.newvape.com/rosinpress/rosin-press-plates
By the by, those thick frame pieces are solid steel.

Press_installed.jpg

Attachment_2.jpg

P.S. - tagging @NewVape710 and @newvape918

Last edited:

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
The design objectives of the NewVape Compact 20 Rosin Press

1) 20 ton bench top with pneumatic assist
2) Minimize any equipment down time (see note 1)
3) 4x7 stainless and aluminum BI metal plates designed for 2x3 and 3x6 bags
4) open work space around pressing area without trimming paper.
5) $1,500 Including Shipping

note 1: Amount of time required to repair a integral piece of equipment. So what happens when your rosin press breaks? Shipping the press back to the factory is not an option. Customers should consider the process of repairs (in and out of warranty) when purchasing their rosin press. Not everyone can afford BVA hydraulics so we have put much consideration into developing a system that can be easily maintained by the customer. The compact 20 rosin press is designed around the readily available harbor freight 20 ton pump this pump can be easily changed out in the event of any hydraulic issues. Harbor freight does offer local walk in extended warranties for this pump. The control, heater, and thermocoupler are also easily replaceable and readily available.

https://www.newvape.com/compact-20-rosin-press

compact_20-1-7.jpg

I would appreciate some help with a shopping list for a complete rosin pressing kit.

So far, it's a dake b 10 with dabpress 3x3s.

I recall reading a post on FC that listed the other things you need to press: parchment paper (but that type), tools for scraping, etc.

Can anyone help me out by posting your essential shopping list?

Thanks.

ACitizenOfCo,

anasrzi

I've been thinking about winterizing my rosin and figuring out a way to get it into ccell carts ... anyone else have experience doing this successfully? @invertedisdead ?

I've asked a similar Q over on the distillate thread @JCat , no response be nice to know tho :)

Was under the impression you can use rsoin in carts but it's not ideal and also that winterizing will kill the terps (something you'd ideally want to avoid).

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I've been thinking about winterizing my rosin and figuring out a way to get it into ccell carts ... anyone else have experience doing this successfully? @invertedisdead ?

It seems to wick up really high quality hash rosin fine, seen a few on IG with rosin sauce in a pen. It's flower rosin that's more tricky as it has more contaminant. It seems to wick okay, but I could taste the waxes being continually heated on the coil. Winterizing would work, my state doesn't like etoh so I haven't tried it. I've considered ordering some online to try but I always come to the realization that at that point I might as well just extract with etoh to begin with. With dry ice temps you can avoid pulling those fats altogether.

To be honest even some of my flower rosin tastes singed lately on the nail, I notice some strains or grows or something just can't hold up to the heat, and even on a low temp dab the flavor on the second hit can be quite degraded.

Another method I haven't tried yet but still curious about is re-pressing some rosin to get those terps separated, and then using that to flavor something clean like distillate and just put that in a pen.

Coming up with a direct-to-cart solution that isn't fiddly is tricky. With 6 star bubble hash you could rosin that and load it right in a pen. Winterized flower rosin plus a couple drops of terps could work well but is it worth it? Depends on your stance on food terps, with real cannabis terps that are $$$ probably not. Then again for a grower whose material cost is lower buying some terps might not be such a big expense. Lots of variables. In the end I'm not sure we can do it cheaper than the pros as far as economy of scale but it depends on ones access. Here in a legal state we have more options than others.

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
Here's my notes on Dake Rosin Press Builds. @ACitizenOfCo

The Dake is a very capable press. I personally recomend a min of 20 tons as the press is a one time investment and the loss of rosin yield will be felt forever.

I suggest this setup of 4" stainless steel plates. You can substitute the controller for the dual enail if your dab bar is not complete yet. https://www.newvape.com/quad-output-4-stainless-plates-bundle

ram_design.jpg

for the folks that are not familiar with "H frame"

h_frame.jpg

Top Bottom