Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

BoogerMan

i have organic 'dried' peppermint as well as some lavender and parsley (purchased from a local mom&pop country store)... what would be a useful way to re-hydrate to effectively enable a rosin effect extraction?

Or, would the 'goods' already have been lost in the pre dried form they are currently in?

I'm not sure if most of the "oil" is gone from being dried... That is a good question though!

For re-moisturizing:
I was researching how to re-moisturize cannabis the other day and found this:
http://www.theweedblog.com/the-best-way-to-add-moisture-to-over-dry-marijuana/

I have used cannabis fan leaves and lettuce to rehydrate dehydrated cannabis nugs. Both work great and did not add any sort of strange taste or smell. You need a hygrometer with this method though so you know when to take the lettuce, etc. out. You can get a nice digital hygrometer on Amazon for $25. I have this one and it is fast and accurate.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JX...hygrometer&dpPl=1&dpID=51WQZSiIh3L&ref=plSrch

If you don't want to use a hygrometer you could try these. They have different humidities available. I think @Joel W. has used these?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0087...rds=boveda&dpPl=1&dpID=41npI26R2pL&ref=plSrch

shark sandwich

"shit sandwich"
Accessory Maker
I haven't tried pressing dried herbs myself, but lots of variables will affect yield from any herb. These include initial quality and oil and terpene content, overall vegetative structure, oxidative or light damage during storage, and the loss of volatiles during the drying process as @smokum suggested.

I'd start with the best fresh herbs you can find when making rosin. The quality of most packaged dried herbs is lacking, so it's best to do the dry/cure yourself if any is necessary. A week in a jar with a couple Bovedas would do it better than any commercial processor.

@BoogerMan

Many aromatic chemicals that make up the taste, scent, and effect of herbs are far more volatile than water. When plant or extract is dried, those more volatile aromatics are lost as they evaporate before or along with the water. If the product is over dried, the loss of volatile aromatics may be far greater than necessary.

That's why slightly dried fresh herbs should work better than fully dried herbs that have been rehydrated. Even though some of those extra volatiles will be lost in pressing, they'll also be assisting the steam action that facilitates the whole process.

Bovedas are super convenient because you can just toss one or two in a jar and forget about it. The 62s you linked are best used for curing. For pressing, I've found it's best to have a higher RH than what's best for long term storage. I've used the 62s for preparing pressing material and they work, but Boveda makes an 84% pack that would work even better. The 84 packs are made for seasoning humidors- not for storing anything organic. 84% is probably humid enough to cause problems with bacteria and mold eventually, but it would be about ideal for pressing.

farscaper

11375304_138843069797147_2021972290_n.jpg
squarsh! :goon::lol:

thumb in bottom corner for reference.

vice tech rules!

farscaper

@2clicker
i use tech similar to that @Joel W. has been using. I use this
http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Clamp-23530-Light-Duty-Swivel/dp/B00004S9KP
with a hair iron heater directly attached to the jaws. set it for about 220°F and just squeeze the shit out of the bud until rosin precipitation slows then remove from the clamp. I have achieved pressure enough to squeeze rosin out the backside of the parchment with just that little vice. I dont even have it mounted to anything. just sitting there on the counter. as opposed to the gecko thermal press which had to sit on the floor it was so big. I prefer the vice... just be sure to mount your heater to a piece of wood for thermal buffer and replaceablity. do not jbweld them directly to the jaws like this idiot did. :lol:
11899447_877174169029320_2135651499_n.jpg

BoogerMan

I haven't tried pressing dried herbs myself, but lots of variables will affect yield from any herb. These include initial quality and oil and terpene content, overall vegetative structure, oxidative or light damage during storage, and the loss of volatiles during the drying process as @smokum suggested.

I'd start with the best fresh herbs you can find when making rosin. The quality of most packaged dried herbs is lacking, so it's best to do the dry/cure yourself if any is necessary. A week in a jar with a couple Bovedas would do it better than any commercial processor.

@BoogerMan

Many aromatic chemicals that make up the taste, scent, and effect of herbs are far more volatile than water. When plant or extract is dried, those more volatile aromatics are lost as they evaporate before or along with the water. If the product is over dried, the loss of volatile aromatics may be far greater than necessary.

That's why slightly dried fresh herbs should work better than fully dried herbs that have been rehydrated. Even though some of those extra volatiles will be lost in pressing, they'll also be assisting the steam action that facilitates the whole process.

Bovedas are super convenient because you can just toss one or two in a jar and forget about it. The 62s you linked are best used for curing. For pressing, I've found it's best to have a higher RH than what's best for long term storage. I've used the 62s for preparing pressing material and they work, but Boveda makes an 84% pack that would work even better. The 84 packs are made for seasoning humidors- not for storing anything organic. 84% is probably humid enough to cause problems with bacteria and mold eventually, but it would be about ideal for pressing.
Thank you for explaining that! Much appreciated.

So using the 84's would you just keep it in these on jar for 24 hours before pressing that material? Or longer/shorter?

I'm assuming your material starting humidity plays a role in how long you need to keep the boveda in there?

I keep my bud around 60-65% humidity for long term cure. I'm assuming the 84 boveda would get that 60% humidity up to 84% pretty quickly yeah? Maybe just a few hours? Maybe more? Maybe I just need to buy some and experiment lol :tup::science:

BoogerMan

@shark sandwich thanks! I'll definitely play around with them for the next couple weeks and hopefully my dnail press is in by then so I can really starting experimenting with all this! I've been so envious following this thread for the past few months. I am still a rosin virgin. Never pressed and never tasted :lol:

Speaking of curing, since moisture/humidity seem relevant to rosin, and to anyone with access to fresh or shortly cured still moist material, here is the process I follow. It has worked well for my needs:

http://www.rollitup.org/t/humidity-in-curing-jars.444609/

Hygrometer is needed.

Phase one. 70% RH: (just talks about hang drying harvested plants...)

Phase two. 65%+ to 70%RH: This is where the numbers game begins to kick in. Once you have reached the crispy bud/flexible stem stage, it is time to jar it up. Now there are a few options here.. Really you can jar it up just like always. Only, fill your jar 3/4 to 4/5 full so you have room to use your hygrometer. You can leave it on the stem, stem free, whatever. I personally prefer it in it's finished state, no stems. You can leave just a few stems intact for the sake of testing stem flexibility. Also, with more stems comes more moisture. This may fit well with your style, but it also may play havoc if mold is present. Once your bud is in the jar drop in the hygrometer and cap it. Keep an eye on your meter for the next hour or so. What we are shooting for in this phase is 70% RH maximum. If you hit 71% or greater, you will have to take the bud out to dry more. If this seems a little tricky here, it is. The cure, even though we are still in the dry phase, has been happening to a small degree since the moment the bud was cut. Basically now we are juggling time with mold prevention. We want to avoid any instance of mold, but we want to get every second of cure time in that we can. The goal in this phase is to start at a 70% maximum RH and, in a timely and mold free manner, bring the RH down to about 65%. The reason I say "about" is that if there is an issue with mold (i.e. the crop was exposed to heavy mold before and/or during harvest) we may chose to take the RH even lower, like 62%. This won't leave a huge window for curing, but it will keep the bud safe. Ideally, however, 65% will do. Generally you can tell pretty quickly if the bud is still too wet as the hygrometer % will climb pretty quickly (rate: 1% per hour or faster). You will also notice, at this point, that the bud will feel "wetter". That's ok. The reason for this is that while the exposed part of the bud began to dry quicker than the inside during phase one, the inside of the bud and stems retained a good deal of their moisture. Once in the jars (phase two) that moisture can no longer be efficiently evaperated off and moved to a different area, being replaced by dryer air. Once you have determined the RH, which may take up to 24 hours, you can begin burping the jars. This can be done at a rate of one to two hours once or twice a day, depending on initial RH reading. Your room RH, temp, strain, exposure to mold and hygro readings will dictate this for you and wether to go faster or slower. Slower is always better, but precipitating factors, as stated, may trump this.. Also, at the end of this stage is where most commercial bud will hit the open market, if you are lucky. The bud at this stage should have that super sticky icky velvety feel and the 'bag appeal' will be at it's very highest.

Phase three, 60% to 65% RH: Your buds are in the jar and RH is 65% or less. Perfect. The object of the game, as stated before, is to slowly release the moisture from the jar over time. Your buds are now in the cure zone. At this point we are looking for a much slower release than phase two and will shift to a short burp once a week. Your buds will deliver a nice smoke at around 60%, so the speed at which this is done (which translates directly to duration of burpage) is entirely up to you. It is at this stage that small stems should snap in two. It is also in this stage that you will meet true stability, or equalization, in RH. What that means is that the amount of moisture in the stems is no longer disproportionate to the buds, and moisture transfer or persperation (sweat) slows dramatically. This also means it will take much longer to get a true reading from your Hygrometer. A true reading at this point might take up to 36 hours, but that's ok.

So, do you know what your idea of a perfect smoking bud is? If you have followed the phases as you have read them, then this is the stage where you can find out. It may be as specific as a stationary RH value, or even a "window" between different values. Everyone one should know there ideal smoking range. I prefer mine on a slightly dryer cure, say between 55 to 57%.

Phase four - 55%+ to 60%RH: Even though a true cure is far from over, your buds are truly ready to smoke if you wish. They are also ready to face long term storage. As stated before, the cure dies at -55%. It's ok for the cure to be dead if you have reached your desired cure level as later remoisturing can easily bring that bud back into your prefered smoking range. But, you can also continue the cure for long time periods and the trick to this is to stay above the 55% level. Unfortunately even claimed 'air tight' jars will allow bud to continue losing moisture over time. The trick here is to guarantee air tightness. Simon has suggested that he jars in air tight jars and double vacuum bags it as a way to ensure cure integrity. I am less picky. It is a good idea, though not neccessary, to leave a hygro in the jar and check it from time to time. I would start with once a week for the first month then, if everything is stable, once every month after that should suffice.

2clicker

Observer
ok boys just spitballin here... ive got one of these and want to put together a small rosin press. sort of like a portable press if you will...? not for pressing weight, but for personal use. first of all, do you think this vise would provide enough pressure? or what about a machine vice like these? or even one of these? looks like i could fit some hair straightener heaters onto any of those fairly easily.

are you all pre-squashing your flowers? i remember some talk of that before.

oh and what are the preferred hair straighteners at this point? something 2" wide would be good yeah?

Last edited:

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
I am starting to think just about any vice will generate enough pressures for rosin and I don't pre squish buds anymore other than to group smaller buds together for one press.

Edit: I have been applying enough force with my vice that I was compressing my plywood about a 1/8th inch in the middle. I will try a solid mount tomorrow or another tougher insulator material.

Last edited:

weenstoned

Ya I would say that if you're not pressing weight then a handheld vice grip might be your best bet. Having a less cumbersome vice that opens and closes quick is pretty handy.

Success with rosin in my experience is really more about your starting material. Some buds struggle to get 15% with a couple pressings, while others put out 20+% in the first press.

farscaper

I prefer a small bench vise. that way you dont have to hold it and ive not ever seen a pair of vice grips that could hold on tighter than a screw vice... I had to use LESS pressure than my vise could produce because rosin was seeping through the paper I had so much pressure on it.

edit: @2clicker I had been pre squishing to get a decent yield for the gecko but it is totally unnecessary with use of a screw vise.

Last edited:

farscaper

im starting to think that heater just bairly wider than the chip is when fully pressed is the best size heater plate when pressing. you really need somewhere cool for the rosin to flow to when its in flux otherwise the more volatile terpenes tend to want to vape off.

ive noticed when the heaters are too wide the rosin has to far under heat to travel to cause the build up effect like you might have seen in the video I shared.

btw, the video I shared above was a second press :o at 220°F in case you wondered.

Monsoon

I dont know how to add the video here from iG but heres a browser link to a video of a vise "vice press" in action. lol "play on word ive been doing if nobody has noticed yet" stupid joke I know.

http://ink361.com/app/users/ig-1216193024/farscaper/photos/ig-1076362154618078497_1216193024

heres an iG link
https://instagram.com/p/7wAa1Dr0Uh/
IG link is view-able without needing an account as long as the account isn't private. Also really nice pressing in the video!

Can't wait to get my setup going. Currently waiting on the Pollen Master and a heatpress. I ordered the Pollen Master nearly 2 weeks ago and it's apparently been back-ordered but hopefully shipping soon. I don't think they really update their website or social media. Had to ask after 2 days (shipping lead time) to find out about the extra wait and prior to ordering their SSL cert was expired prior to me alerting them. That said they've replied quickly every time I've emailed them and they have a phone number too if needed. I don't think they're a big company. For the heat press I still haven't heard anything from High5Vape yet but they supposedly planned to ship this month.

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
im starting to think that heater just bairly wider than the chip is when fully pressed is the best size heater plate when pressing.

I've been thinking this too, that the ideal may be to press at the end (or tips) of the plates, having your chip reach 3 sides? Then the rosin can flow up, down, and out 1 side without being contact heated.

I could use some wiring advice if possible. I have an old VB1 clone ( easyvape?) and I kinda want to rip out the temp controller and use it on my old 1" iron plates. Should I still use the irons board too, and if not what about the issue of 4 plate wires and only 2 controller wires. Use my old 80's home speaker tech and just wire them together?

BoogerMan

D-Nail posted an update on the heat presses, basically another 4 weeks until they start shipping the first batch.
Aww man... :( Thanks for the info though!

@herbivore21 @Monsoon

Was there talk about a smaller SiC dish that works with more standard carb caps in the near future?

Isn't the current SiC very large and only works with the dnail carb cap?

I'm trying to decide if I want to wait for the new design to use with my current carb caps or if I want to fork up the extra $55 for the dnail cap+dabber

On another note, the sapphire insert is worth the $50 right?

BoogerMan,

herbivore21

Aww man... :( Thanks for the info though!

@herbivore21 @Monsoon

Was there talk about a smaller SiC dish that works with more standard carb caps in the near future?

Isn't the current SiC very large and only works with the dnail carb cap?

I'm trying to decide if I want to wait for the new design to use with my current carb caps or if I want to fork up the extra $55 for the dnail cap+dabber

On another note, the sapphire insert is worth the $50 right?
There has been no talk whatsoever of a smaller SiC dish, there has been talk of different form factors though (not necessarily that will fit standard carbs).

You're spot on on the pricing of sapphire insert too. Also guess who is just about to test their Sapphire Halo!? :D

By the way, I got a new rosin toy here and just need to find me a good hydraulic press to use with it. More news to come soon :D

BoogerMan

There has been no talk whatsoever of a smaller SiC dish, there has been talk of different form factors though (not necessarily that will fit standard carbs).

You're spot on on the pricing of sapphire insert too. Also guess who is just about to test their Sapphire Halo!? :D

By the way, I got a new rosin toy here and just need to find me a good hydraulic press to use with it. More news to come soon :D
Thanks for the info as always!

Can't wait to see the new rosin setup!

Top Bottom