Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

miguelovic

I have way too much bud in my possession. Really looking at rosin pressing it to free up space with my mason jars.

I want to do hair straightener method cause I don’t have money to buy a press. What would I place the bud into as I don’t have any of the rosin bags. Can I use cheese cloth or something else to press onto the parchment paper?

First figure out what temp the straightener gives. Use a meat thermometer.

Get a quick grip clamp, vise or even just some bloody 2x4s/metal rod/anything on a fulcrum point. Something to apply more pressure that's a little more advanced than standing on it.

Hit up a thrift store for more straighteners as you'll likely break some.

Google HMK style rosin press.

Always ensure material is hydrated.

Never use cheese cloth. You can press bagless just fine.

@btka OK, I think I finally figured this out. I now use a vape cart with rosin and NO winterizing and NO liquifiers or additives. Pure rosin in a vape cart. It all seems to boil down to the type of cart. I bought the genuine (at least I think they are genuine) CCell brand vape carts from Sneaky Pete.

I press standard rosin from flowers. Lots of grit and dirt. So, I re-press the rosin a second time at 160F through a 25u bag (I will try 15u next time). That is all I do to 'clean' the rosin.

Then, I put it in a small beaker and heat it at about 250F until the big bubbles stop. (Decarbing it).

While it's warm, I use a syringe to put it in the cart. As soon as it's in the cart, I put the cart on a battery and start using it. I was hoping that this would saturate the ceramic (I think these ccels have a ceramic heater) in the cart. It seems to have done exactly that.

When it cools, it's definitely not flowing. However, when I go to use it, the heater obviously heats it all up a little and it becomes a little more fluid.

In any event, it has sat overnight in the cart and it is working fine this morning. So, even when it cools, it still works.

On the next batch I am going to add up to 10% terps. I have some pure terps like limonene and myrcene. I'll let you know how it works.

At least, for now, I have a solvent free, no additive rosin cart. Thanks primarily to the CCell TH2 carts.

@PuffItUp also has these carts as well as SneakyPete

Last edited:
I am a joint smoker. I smoke 10 to 20 joints a day. I make carts for 2 friends who, like Mikell says, have a preference for carts.

Other than joints, I vape rosin from the Headbanger (thanks to the member who first suggested that one (can't remember who it was)). Or, my Terp Pen. If I want to really try to actually get a buzz, I use the Motar. If I fill her up and take, like 20 hits in a row, I actually feel it. Probably hyperventilation. LOL Sometimes I vape flowers in one of my 10 dry herb vapes. Lke the Argo, the E-Nano or the Fury. Sometimes the VapCap or iHeat.

But, I must admit, this cart I just made is the first one that actually doesn't taste like shit. I have no reason to be stealth. If I did, the carts might have more appeal. But, as it is, I don't care if people know I smoke pot. My buddy says it's unbelievable that I don't get traffic stopped all the time. He says, "You look like Willie Nelson driving a vehicle that smells like a cannabis processing facility." LMAO

Carts have their place. I make them because cannabis is my hobby and it's fun to learn. Plus, my experiments often help others who don't have money, time or weed to burn testing different methods.

miguelovic

Shit.

Tricked into outing myself again. Devious.

Let's go Ringo baby, I smell an air of prejudice.

Also you haven't showered in awhile. Self care buddy, self care. It's about you being the best you.

btka

@btka OK, I think I finally figured this out. I now use a vape cart with rosin and NO winterizing and NO liquifiers or additives. Pure rosin in a vape cart. It all seems to boil down to the type of cart. I bought the genuine (at least I think they are genuine) CCell brand vape carts from Sneaky Pete.

I press standard rosin from flowers. Lots of grit and dirt. So, I re-press the rosin a second time at 160F through a 25u bag (I will try 15u next time). That is all I do to 'clean' the rosin.

Then, I put it in a small beaker and heat it at about 250F until the big bubbles stop. (Decarbing it).

While it's warm, I use a syringe to put it in the cart. As soon as it's in the cart, I put the cart on a battery and start using it. I was hoping that this would saturate the ceramic (I think these ccels have a ceramic heater) in the cart. It seems to have done exactly that.

When it cools, it's definitely not flowing. However, when I go to use it, the heater obviously heats it all up a little and it becomes a little more fluid.

In any event, it has sat overnight in the cart and it is working fine this morning. So, even when it cools, it still works.

On the next batch I am going to add up to 10% terps. I have some pure terps like limonene and myrcene. I'll let you know how it works.

At least, for now, I have a solvent free, no additive rosin cart. Thanks primarily to the CCell TH2 carts.

@PuffItUp also has these carts as well as SneakyPete

please keep me up to date! as you know I am really interessted in this... Thank you...

BTW does it clog the carts after some time, does it get darker with time, does the taste change with time? any other interesting observations? does the consistency change with time (viscosity?)..

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Every time I tried to make carts that way you could taste the wax lipids burning on the ccell. Even tried with BHO wax that was cleaner than flower rosin. It actually did have good flavor at first but as you vape it more and more of those unvaporizable lipids get charred onto the heater. I think another issue is when oil is that thick that it takes heat to start flowing, it's super easy to dry fire the heater which burns the cotton wick surrounding the ccell and adds to the off flavors.

please keep me up to date! as you know I am really interested in this... Thank you...

BTW does it clog the carts after some time, does it get darker with time, does the taste change with time? any other interesting observations? does the consistency change with time (viscosity?)..

Well, it has been 4 or 5 days since I made this cart and nothing has changed. The viscosity and color have not changed. Albeit, this rosin was very dark when I started.

Like I said before, I am not a cart man and this is just an experiment so I am only taking 1 or 2 hits a day from this just to see if it keeps working and doesn't clog. The rest of the time it just sits. So, under those circumstances, I would say this stuff is acting really well.

When I use it on my 4.8v pen battery, it gives a giant cloud hit. So, even as thick as it is, it's still working fine. A tiny 1 or 2 second preheat really does the trick.

This rosin is NOT thin. It does not move like syrup in the cart. Yet, when I stuck a pin in the cart (to burst a bubble in the rosin), I noticed that the rosin was still actually very fluid. It stirred with the pin almost like syrup but when the cart was re-assembled and turned on it's side, the rosin does not flow. I'm sure that if I laid the cart on it's side overnight, it would move. Yet, to answer you question, after 4 days, NO, it is not clogged and still works great. I am quite surprised.

@invertedisdead These ccell carts do not use a cotton wick. They use a ceramic heater that is very porous. So, once the rosin saturates the ceramic heater, even after it cools, the first hit is still a rosin hit... not a ceramic tasting hit. Plus, the holes that lead to the heater are much bigger than most I have seen and there are 6 of them so the rosin has a lot of opening to get to the heater.

The taste is not as full as taking a straight rosin hit with my Headbanger or Terp pen. It's a more subtle taste. Still, it's not a burnt taste or a ceramic taste or a VG/PGP taste. It actually tastes like rosin. Just not as strong tasting.

Also, I am testing this cart in a new battery. I bought this setup from @PuffItUp ... https://www.puffitup.com/CCell-Silo-510-Cartridge-Vaporizer-p/ccell.silo.htm

A great deal since you can add a ccell cart for only $2.50 when they are normally over 5 bucks.

This battery is a 'draw activated' type so there is no way to do a 2-second preheat like I do on the pen battery. I was reading about this and it seems a ton of people are complaining about this, regardless of the type of cart. Even the people who were buying dispensary carts were complaining. It seems to boil down to 'the leaning curve'. Most vapes seem to have a slight learning curve before you really get the hang of it. This battery is like that. Most people said you have to 'prime' the hit by taking a couple short puffs to get the heater warm before taking your actual hit. I found this works just fine.

So, even though I can't say I like this battery over the pen style... WOW, talk about stealth. This battery is tiny and would easily fit in your pocket WITHOUT the danger of breaking the cart off the battery like pen style batteries. I bought this so I could test it for one of my friends who is very stealth about smoking. He is a prominent political figure and smoking pot around here is still like it was in the 60's so he is real paranoid about being seen smoking or vaping anything. This entire rig could be hidden in your closed hand. Very small. It doesn't seem to give the huge clouds like the pen battery but, it gives a very nice full hit once you know how to work it.

I'll post if I see any changes. Since we are all in isolation around here, it will be a while before I can give it to him for real-life testing but I will take a few hits a day to see if it eventually clogs.

Peace.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@invertedisdead These ccell carts do not use a cotton wick. They use a ceramic heater that is very porous. So, once the rosin saturates the ceramic heater, even after it cools, the first hit is still a rosin hit... not a ceramic tasting hit. Plus, the holes that lead to the heater are much bigger than most I have seen and there are 6 of them so the rosin has a lot of opening to get to the heater.

Can you post a link to the carts? I've been using Ccells for years and they have always had a cotton wick that sits around the ceramic heater that the oil must first wick through. You can see the cotton through the inlet holes.

invertedisdead,
I bought the standard th2 carts. I was not aware they had cotton surrounding the ceramic heater. I see the white through the holes and ASSumed it was ceramic. Sorry about that. I have one I messed up. I will take it apart and check it our. Still, I don't get any wick taste. I get a tiny bit of ceramic taste with the Solo battery but only during the "priming". No bad taste with my pen battery.

https://www.ccell.com/Product/CARTRIDGE/TH2

Hackerman,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Anyone else here consider the study out of McGill posted September 2019 that discuss microplastics and nanoplastics being found in very high quantities in tea using Nylon tea bags? So the plastics are coming out of the tea bag at <100C (212F). Very interesting and I'm not sure how it applies to us ... as it does imply that we are vaporizing these microplastics and nanoplastics when using our rosin bags ...

Here's one of the articles although it was carried by pretty much every major news outlet from the looks of it:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/tea-bags-plastic-study-mcgill-1.5295662

btka

Anyone else here consider the study out of McGill posted September 2019 that discuss microplastics and nanoplastics being found in very high quantities in tea using Nylon tea bags? So the plastics are coming out of the tea bag at <100C (212F). Very interesting and I'm not sure how it applies to us ... as it does imply that we are vaporizing these microplastics and nanoplastics when using our rosin bags ...

Here's one of the articles although it was carried by pretty much every major news outlet from the looks of it:

really interesting... I remember I saw a youtube video ...where they thought silicon from parchement is found in rosin.... but when I remember correct this was not the case...

would be interesting to see a analyse of rosin for plastic/microplastic... (or any other thing which should not be in rosin...)

BTW while searchin the video above... I found this... "Using Silicone Mats instead of Parchment Paper for Rosin":

what do you think is this safe? Is there a reason to favor/use parchment?

Last edited:

miguelovic

Bubbleman tried to promote that but it's a horrible idea. You'd slowly wreck the fibreglass and the mats are spongy.

Likewise for anything and everything that falls out of Berfelo's mouth. They're two sides to the same dud coin. Coupla tired old trust fund babies from the 90s trying to stay relevant in a world that left them behind ages ago.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

I assume you also saw that post about this yesterday in the "flower vs rosin" thread. Pretty interesting stuff, honestly it wouldn't surprise me, stuff like this seems to happen all the time when new technology is adopted, and then alternative info trickles out later. People used to press kief/hash in paper filters, you just gotta be a little more gentle with it.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Anyone else use molds for their Rosin?

Check out miojuanarosin on the insta gram.

I’m going to grab some animal gummy molds

FlyingLow,
Reactions: EmDeemo

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
I use silicone molds for rosin based edibles - never considered making an animal shaped rosin ball though.

bizwaxzion,
Well, day 5 is not a great day for the test cart. LOL

I had to do about 5 or 6 'primer puffs' before I got a hit. Then, the hit was kind of wispy. Even the next few hits were light. I put it on my pen battery to get a better warm up and my battery died. LOL It was time but now I don't have a pen battery for testing. I do have a mod box or 2. Can you put a cart like this on a regular mod box? The Silo is kind of a wimpy battery. Very nice for what it is but I need a strong tester.

A couple large bubbles appeared in the cart near the holes for the heater and they could not get through the thickness so I stirred it up a little. The stuff inside is still just as fluid as it was. It has not hardened up at all. I'm a little surprised at that.

I just now got it good and hot and the stuff is flowing pretty fluid right now. I rolled it around in the cart and now, it's hitting fair. Not great not OK.

Perhaps if I had used it more than once or twice a day, it might have worked better.

I'll keep you posted on any changes.

Top Bottom