Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

MegaMan2k

So for some people 100 mg is a huge huge dose, and other do 1000 mg with little effects. I feel decently medicated from the 100-150 mg's, but not overwhelmingly "highness" by any means. But solid enough to not be dabbing or vaping.

However, i still miss that heady feel after a dab, almost like it releases some pressure inside my head in a way

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
@MegaMan2k Perhaps try some tinctures with your rosin. 1 gram of decarbed rosin in 1.5ml of everclear 190 with 1 drop of peppermint oil makes for a pretty nice tincture with some potency (2-3 drops is a dose for me). It will give a bit of a hybrid effect of edibles and vapor (some will be absorbed as delta-9 THC sublingual, some will be processed as 11-hydroxy if you swallow it). You may find it suitable as a supplement.

shredder

@MegaMan2k Perhaps try some tinctures with your rosin. 1 gram of decarbed rosin in 1.5ml of everclear 190 with 1 drop of peppermint oil makes for a pretty nice tincture with some potency (2-3 drops is a dose for me). It will give a bit of a hybrid effect of edibles and vapor (some will be absorbed as delta-9 THC sublingual, some will be processed as 11-hydroxy if you swallow it). You may find it suitable as a supplement.

Sometimes we make an infusion with 1-3 grams rosin, 1 fluid ounce of hemp oil, and 1/2 tsp of powdered lecithin. We mix it on a coffee warmer in a glass measuring cup stirring until clear. We put it in a one oz eye dropper bottle. And one eye dropper is a dose.

So for some people 100 mg is a huge huge dose, and other do 1000 mg with little effects. I feel decently medicated from the 100-150 mg's, but not overwhelmingly "highness" by any means. But solid enough to not be dabbing or vaping.

However, i still miss that heady feel after a dab, almost like it releases some pressure inside my head in a way

Without testing we're really just guessing on actual amounts. My wife and i settled on our amounts in our canna caps by trial and error. I ussually only cap a couple caps in a batch and then we can adjust the rest as needed after testing.

The basic recipe is 1-3 grams of concentrate mixed with 1 fluid oz of coconut oil and 1/2 tsp of lecithin. You can scale up or down from here. 1 gr being fairly weak and 3 gr being strong. One batch is roughly 30 size 00 caps.

MileHighHuman

Whats the opinions on using filter bags VS. not using any filter bags?

Obviously it keeps plant material from collecting into the rosin, but is the yield decrease worth that?

MileHighHuman,

Grifo

Obviously it keeps plant material from collecting into the rosin, but is the yield decrease worth that?
Depends, plant material can alter the taste of the rosin ive noticed so if your all about terps then yes. Im might also not good for expensive quartz but idk i use a sic dish at the moment. Ive only pressed with a bag 2x so im not even sure how much yield is affected. But i do notice the particles in the rosin however for now i dont care so much about it since im happy to be dabbing rosin that doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

Grifo,
Reactions: Alexis

JCat

Accessory Maker

I've been pressing 5g at a time, bottle tech style, and I actually find I have higher yields with the bags then without. I'd say an increase of 1-2% on avg. I attribute this to the "puck" being kept to a smaller size, the reduced expansion means the rosin has less material to travel through, and less gets trapped; in other words less is trapped in the bags then is trapped in the increased surface area caused by the flower pressed without a bag.

And at 1-2%, and guessing $1 per bag, based on 5g presses, I'm actually ending up in the plus.

eg. My typical yields are in the ~25% range ... so 1-2% increase (ie. from 23-25 or 24-25 ... my yields range typically these days from 24-29%) means a 1/25 to 2/25 % increase in yield vs yield without bags. ie. That's a 4%-8% increase in end amount of rosin. Even at $150/oz and assuming just the 4% extra, that's still $1.07 worth of extra rosin :) (and I'm paying more than $150/oz and I'm getting more than the 4% typically ... in other words the bags pay for themselves x2 ... maybe even x4)

shredder

I use both bags and a pre press, but I press 12+ grams per press. I doubt I could press that much without bags. It didn't matter when I used a hair straightener, but it does if you go big. When I have a pressing session I typically press 5 or more oz, so yes bags!

JCat

Accessory Maker
Just pressed 5g of Ghost Train Haze, and got 1.55g back!! Now that's a sweet yield :) 31%

That's with bags, bottle tech style. Pressed at about 2500psi (1.25 tons) on the pressure gauge (which is lots for the surface area of my pucks)

MileHighHuman

I've been pressing 5g at a time, bottle tech style, and I actually find I have higher yields with the bags then without. I'd say an increase of 1-2% on avg. I attribute this to the "puck" being kept to a smaller size, the reduced expansion means the rosin has less material to travel through, and less gets trapped; in other words less is trapped in the bags then is trapped in the increased surface area caused by the flower pressed without a bag.

And at 1-2%, and guessing $1 per bag, based on 5g presses, I'm actually ending up in the plus.

eg. My typical yields are in the ~25% range ... so 1-2% increase (ie. from 23-25 or 24-25 ... my yields range typically these days from 24-29%) means a 1/25 to 2/25 % increase in yield vs yield without bags. ie. That's a 4%-8% increase in end amount of rosin. Even at $150/oz and assuming just the 4% extra, that's still $1.07 worth of extra rosin :) (and I'm paying more than $150/oz and I'm getting more than the 4% typically ... in other words the bags pay for themselves x2 ... maybe even x4)
I use both bags and a pre press, but I press 12+ grams per press. I doubt I could press that much without bags. It didn't matter when I used a hair straightener, but it does if you go big. When I have a pressing session I typically press 5 or more oz, so yes bags!

Bags it is then. Thx.

Last, so pre pressing the flowers into pucks before official squishing with heat, is beneficial correct?

If so, how much PSI do you use when pre pressing your pucks / material ?

MileHighHuman,
Reactions: JCat

shredder

Bags it is then. Thx.

Last, so pre pressing the flowers into pucks before official squishing with heat, is beneficial correct?

If so, how much PSI do you use when pre pressing your pucks / material ?

I use a pre press mold. I fill a bag, stuff it in the mold, put the mold in a vice and tighten it. Unknown psi, im just trying to make pucks. After at least 2-3 minutes, I release the vice and take out the puck. That puck will hold its shape now and is ready for pressing now or later.

Typically I fill a dozen or more bags and make pucks one day, then press and scrape off rosin another day, although you can do it all in one day. If I just want a few grams I'll fill a bag or two, make pucks, press and do it all fairly quickly in an half hour or so.

MegaMan2k

Sometimes we make an infusion with 1-3 grams rosin, 1 fluid ounce of hemp oil, and 1/2 tsp of powdered lecithin.

hey shredder, i just realized you wrote 1 fluid ounce of hemp oil, that sounds like a pretty good medium to use for this particular application

But 1 single drop is a dose? does that mean you are able to use this as a tincture?
I thought it had to be alcohol based for "mouth" to absorb it,

I was just thinking about it since fluid hemp oil sounds a little bit more enjoyable than alcohol,

MegaMan2k,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

hey shredder, i just realized you wrote 1 fluid ounce of hemp oil, that sounds like a pretty good medium to use for this particular application

But 1 single drop is a dose? does that mean you are able to use this as a tincture?
I thought it had to be alcohol based for "mouth" to absorb it,

I was just thinking about it since fluid hemp oil sounds a little bit more enjoyable than alcohol,

A dose would be an eye dropper full not one drop. And yes it can be used like a tincture, although it might not taste great, but still better than a alcohol hot taste. We use it on food or in coffee, or under the tongue.

MegaMan2k

Oh oke, still pretty great. Does that mean sublingual ingestion is not limited to alcohol then?

Im trying to figure out dosages for my first alcohol tincture at the moment, but i may indeed venture into fluid hemp oil aswell.

1 Gram of rosin at 70%/Around 600-700Mg Thc,
dissolved into 5 ML alcohol

Comes out at 120-140 Mg per ml then, correct me if im wrong here?

MegaMan2k,

shredder

Oh oke, still pretty great. Does that mean sublingual ingestion is not limited to alcohol then?

Im trying to figure out dosages for my first alcohol tincture at the moment, but i may indeed venture into fluid hemp oil aswell.

1 Gram of rosin at 70%/Around 600-700Mg Thc,
dissolved into 5 ML alcohol

Comes out at 120-140 Mg per ml then, correct me if im wrong here?

I don't get hung up on exact numbers without testing it's just a guess. We just base our mixes on one fluid oz of the carrier oil, be it hemp oil or coconut oil. 1 gram of concentrate (in one fl oz of oil) would be fairly weak and 3 strong. And we estimate roughly 30 doses from that 1 fl oz, be it 30 cannacaps or 30 eye droppers full. If you base things on a known amount like one fluid oz, then you can scale that up or down to suit your needs.

And don't forget the lecithin. It makes the concentrate more bio available, so it goes further using the same amounts of concentrate. We use powdered sun flower lecithin.

MegaMan2k

Oke I see, you seem to have a tried and tested method that works well for you.
I am just looking for some confirmation since math is not my area of expertise lol.

Is there any undesirable side effects associated with eating lecithin daily?
I actually went to the health store and got a little bottle of some a little while ago, just they only had granulate and not powder, but i guess it will still work-

And as it helps uptake, is that limited to increasing the psychoactive effect, or is it the overall uptake of all the cannabinoids?
so it may be helpful in a medical aspect even, say a patient wants to get the most "healing" out of his/hers med-stash?

MegaMan2k,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Who are the other players in this market besides dab press. I am looking at their new 6ton kit but curious what else is out their that also competes in terms of simplicity and efficiency.

MinnBobber

Who are the other players in this market besides dab press. I am looking at their new 6ton kit but curious what else is out their that also competes in terms of simplicity and efficiency.
For simplicity, efficiency, and cost, there is also Rosin Tech Go with no pump.
The size of a shoebox.
RTPGO14_large.png

That's pretty neat. I like the concept. My first DIY prototype was very similar except I used an arbor press.

The only problem I had with that design was having to hold the load under pressure for 2 minutes. I am an old fuck and holding that much pressure on something for that long was pretty difficult. I did stand on it and it worked a little easier.

What's retail on that press, anyone know?

MinnBobber

The only problem I had with that design was having to hold the load under pressure for 2 minutes. I am an old fuck and holding that much pressure on something for that long was pretty difficult. I did stand on it and it worked a little easier.

What's retail on that press, anyone know?
.................................................................................................
The Rosin Tech GO is a cam-over-center geometry with helper springs so getting unit to pressure and holding it is
very very easy.
$295 retail

MinnBobber,

miguelovic

Might be feasible if you remove the handle and add a longer crank arm. But then those are built on the cheap and you're likely to break something.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
For simplicity, efficiency, and cost, there is also Rosin Tech Go with no pump.
The size of a shoebox.

Have you used this press MinnBobber? It seems pretty expensive at $300 to only be able to squish a gram at a time. With plates that size I'd just go with a hair straightener. i think the Cannaclamp would be more usable, as the plates are 3.75 x 2"

However @Hackerman just posted a setup the other day utilizing Dabpress 3x3" plates for under $250.

@FlyingLow they are all pretty simple. Nugsmasher and Low Temp plates are some other popular brands.

One of the down sides of the lower priced models is the heating setup. Most of them are preset and not adjustable. That's a killer for me.

The down side of caged units and plates is that you have to buy the press after buying the plates. And, even though it's only 60 buxs, just having to buy something extra makes it feel like less of a deal.

The all-in-one units are totally cool and self contained but... they are usually pretty expensive.

Yin and Yang is what makes the universe exist. You have to decide what it is that you really want. DabPress is coming out with a smaller 'personal' press but it might be a while before it's available.

One thing about DabPress is that they are fast learning that customer service is what sells. Between, EpicVapes, Healthy Rips and DabPress, we have 3 of the most incredible customer service situations in the game.

Company reputation and customer service are giant factors in me choosing whom I do business with.

Top Bottom