Discontinued RBT Splinter (All Versions)

Mr.Sifter

the italian store mentioned before has a Splinter (US made, non-Z)

What is that compared to a Blackwood Splinter V2 from Vapefiend?

If all US units have thicker german glass than the Italian offer must be the superior machine, right ?

And what is about ceramic in the non US-version and mica in the US units.
Which one to choose ?

Take it. the Z US worthes it.
Although Splinter US is also good option, the Z has a bigger heater. better options to vape
when you see "Splinter US" it means not a V one

I am not sure I understand
US means handmade by Ryan and heater with mica, right?

Mr.Sifter,

Alegre

Pobre payaso
I have an og splinter, made by Ryan, first or second batch if I remember correctly. I grab it before any other vape I own, including the splinter z.

Maybe because I've been using it the longest or maybe because it heats up so quickly... Whatever the reason, it's my favorite. Even with a one battery mod, it kicks ass with yummy flavors and clouds as thick as I want them..... Or light clouds, depends on my mood and time of day.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
My friend totally dropped the ball on sending you their ESV, what a waste.
What do you means? I'm feeling sorry if I wasted your time for that ESV, I don't remenber perfectly but I passed on that item cause the shipping cost broken the deal maybe ... although we found an agrement for your Square which is still in rotation. Let me know if the ESV is still available... I give a check at our discussion about it.

Too bad I didn't jumped on the amazing deals there was on the rbt website a few months ago, at this time you could get 2 Splinters for the price of one of the rares still available in retailers shop, too bad I missed that deals!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
What do you means? I'm feeling sorry if I wasted your time for that ESV, I don't remenber perfectly but I passed on that item cause the shipping cost broken the deal maybe ... although we found an agrement for your Square which is still in rotation. Let me know if the ESV is still available... I give a check at our discussion about it.

Too bad I didn't jumped on the amazing deals there was on the rbt website a few months ago, at this time you could get 2 Splinters for the price of one of the rares still available in retailers shop, too bad I missed that deals!

Oh no I'm sorry, I shouldn't have spoken so vaguely! I meant my friend is wasting their ESV by not sending it to you!! I did mention it to my friend again recently, but I think the ESV might be fully dead now anyway... But yes if we all would have really known that that was our last best chance we probably would have bought a lot of backup splinters during that crazy sale! I know some people were wise enough, live and learn?

What is that compared to a Blackwood Splinter V2 from Vapefiend?

Vapor wise it's pretty much going to be the same, you saw bossman and alegre and goldenbud all offer different perspectives so you see there is no "this one is better than that one" it is all relative to the end user...

If all US units have thicker german glass than the Italian offer must be the superior machine, right ?

No that's not necessarily true, the thicker German glass became a feature of the custom Z units in particular, I believe the original splinters had US sourced glass but it is hard to tell... Similarly I think some China units might have had German glass, I mean the Milaana3 does at least. As I was saying earlier in general glass has a lot of variance so it's hard to use that as a guide... Some have mentioned that the V2 units are superior because the smoked glass does seem to be thicker than the clear glass for one thing, judging by the xl8r stems at least.

I am not sure I understand
US means handmade by Ryan and heater with mica, right?

Yes, it likely just means that it is from the original batch of splinter which were from the US, the later batch of splinter z were called custom splinter. Yes they all have mica just like all Zion and Milaana before them...

And what is about ceramic in the non US-version and mica in the US units.
Which one to choose ?

There should really be no practical difference between the two, the mica and ceramic is not really a reason to choose one over the other...

Do you guys worry about mica material used in the heater?

There is nothing really to worry about as it has been in use for so long and extensively tested with many precautions taken... You will have to research in the old Zion and Milaana thread to determine for yourself. The switch to ceramic had to do with the Chinese factories output, though there are always people who have problems with various materials, there are specific threads on FC about various material safeties...

You're really just going to have to decide for yourself, based off price alone it feels like you should be ordering from planetvape regardless? then you just have to weigh the pros and cons of the various different units, not even pros and cons just differences, what is important to you how do you intend to use it?? I think you should probably buy a V unit based on your needs and the options available, but it's up to you to decide if you want to spring for the Z...

glenCOCO

US made non-Z Splinter? I would jump on that ASAP if i were you. That's pretty damn rare, even when Splinter V2/V1s were in production. But now that RBT is gone you can't even get the China Splinters, so that US one would be pretty valuable to people who know what it is.

glenCOCO,

Mr.Sifter

I still have not understood what a non-Z Splinter is supposed to be.

Ok, it is made in the US, obviously.
It uses Mica isolation in the heater instead of ceramic.
Probably the glass tube inside might be a little more durable but no one knows for sure what glass is used as supposed to the V1+V2 made in china.

What is to be loved on a US-made non-Z Splinter?

Mr.Sifter,

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Probably the glass tube inside might be a little more durable but no one knows for sure what glass is used as supposed to the V1+V2 made in china.

I'll give it a try, trying to stick with the main distinctions;
All the Z's have the heater that was used in an earlier RBT vape, the Zion, heavy duty. There were customs and production models, the custom were generally hand made in US, with the heavier glass in the body.

A V1 or V2 (with no "Z") was intended for production runs in China. Maybe some were US custom made, but those would be more rare, and maybe have heavier glass(?). The non-Z uses a different heater, and are considerably shorter (in height) than a Z. The thinner glass on almost all the China made non-Z's, and these were far less expensive, like, in the $60 to $90 USD range. Z's are always considerably more money.

I only have a (non-Z) V1 (happens to be a V1+, which most V1's became on addition of the ceramic; this is the same as is in the V2, which is just a darker color than V1) and like it a lot. I've never tried a Z of any kind, but I do have an RBT Milaana3 (more recent, more expensive), and I like the V1 experience more. I put the V1 on a an inexpensive mod (Sinuous P80) and it all fit into a reasonable budget at the time. Prices of Splinters seem to be going up more now that they are so limited in availability.

I would generally say that any Splinter that you feel you can afford will be a winner for you.

One other important difference between Z/non-Z is glass joint size. Non-Z's use shorter glass joint, 19/19mm, not the standard 19/22. This means the Z's can use a wider variety, of standard stems, etc.

Mr.Sifter

thank you again for additional information.

all Splinters have a Zion heater. check.

US models are handmade.
V1+V2 made in China. Not by hand :D ?
Ok, but what is it about this specific splinter from the italian site?

Is this a OG? a V1+?
It still is a mystery to me.

and another question:
what's the talk about the holes?
there is a 2hole version and a 4hole version

Last edited:
Mr.Sifter,

almost there

US models are handmade.

Is this a OG? a V1+?
can you post the link, let's have a gander and I'll let you know

almost there,
Reactions: Mr.Sifter

almost there

@Mr.Sifter that one is a US custom from the earlier days before Ryan started with the exotic woods. The walnut splinters were waitlist and first productions.

almost there,

jbm

No, the Z's all use the Zion heater, which is more powerful. The v1/2s use a different heater.
US models are handmade.

Is this a OG? a V1+?
It's a custom OG Walnut, made by Ryan. I own one of these. These precede the Vs and the Z (I believe.) The v1/2s were made in China in a factory.
and another question:
There are air intake holes drilled into the wooden sleeve. The standard was 2 holes, there were some limited stock sold with 4 intake holes.

Mr.Sifter

the holes are for airflow obviously.
Is 2holes or 4holes better ?

and would it be recommendable to purchase a 2hole-OG Walnut Splinter over a Chinese V2 when the price it about the same ?

and what is that Mica vs Ceramic all about?
there must have been a reason to switch from Mica to ceramic.

Last edited:
Mr.Sifter,

almost there

and would it be recommendable to purchase a 2hole-OG Walnut Splinter over a Chinese V2 when the price it about the same ?

since this will be your only splinter I would recommend you stick with the standard 2 hole, it's easier for you to regulate your breathe. As for walnut vs V's, that is really up to you which you like the look of. I haven't noticed any performance differences between the OG walnut vs the v's

Mr.Sifter

and the thicker glass in the walnut OG ?
What about the mica material used in the OG ?

RBT switched to ceramic.
Do you know why?
Maybe mica was of concern.

Mr.Sifter,

jbm

RBT switched to ceramic.
Do you know why?
There is nothing really to worry about as it has been in use for so long and extensively tested with many precautions taken... You will have to research in the old Zion and Milaana thread to determine for yourself. The switch to ceramic had to do with the Chinese factories output, though there are always people who have problems with various materials, there are specific threads on FC about various material safeties...
As @Shit Snacks says above, it appears to have been a manufacturing issue rather than a safety issue. In any case, device threads are not the place to discuss material safety.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

What is loved is the exclusivity and the collectability, being the original model.

A regular splinter uses a Milaana heater (steel mesh folded over the insulator plate) a Z uses Zion heater (more steel mesh, folded multiple times, over the insulator plate) both are effective but as I explained the Z is more robust...

Do not get hung up on the glass and where it comes from, there is basically no way to know how durable it is by categorizing it that way... It is glass, it is fragile, take care of it, see if whoever ships it can triple bubble wrap for you.

US models are handmade.

Is this a OG? a V1+?

and another question:

I think you already got these answers from JBM and AlmostThere, stick to the two hole, less technique to learn, yes it seems to be an OG on the Italian site, yes technically all splinter are made by hand...

Two holes helps regulate your inhale so there is less of a learning curve, four holes will have a more open air flow but that means you have more manual technique to control... How you inhale and how you load are two huge variables, so having only two holes, as most splinters do, helps regulate the inhale part for you!

As I explained, and as you see here, you are going to see different recommendations if a OG splinter is better than a V2 splinter, some people prefer the original and some people prefer the latest model...

And yeah we already explained the change with the insulator plate, there should be no noticeable difference between the mica and the ceramic, it was just for manufacturing simplicity.

RBT switched to ceramic.
Do you know why?

Again we do not know for sure about thickness of glass, you are speculating, you could try emailing weed gadget for more details on the specific units they have available now... based on what everyone has said it seems like we know what it is there, but we're still speculating unless you actually talk to the person running the store...

Ok, I will be calm now.
Thank you for your information guides and support.

Haha yes don't worry about the materials! You just need to decide based on price and basically superficial details? Planetvape seems to be the cheapest so I don't know why you wouldn't just order from them... But also there is actually a Splinter ZV2 for sale in the classifieds right now, bundled with a nice mod and a couple stems by the way, you can see if they can ship to you internationally and how much money that would be...

Thanks everyone else for helping me explain this confusion! lol

Mr.Sifter

I ordered the walnut OG from the Italian store.
Got buyer's remorse when I think about it but I have to start somewhere.

I emailed the owner of the shop and he told me his OG walnut Splinter are superior to the Chinese V2.
The glass would be thicker he said.
Okok, he sold me the unit like any good salesman would.

In the next couple of weeks I want to find a used Wismec Dual Mod Box for cheap.

someTooL

I doubt that guy in the classifieds would ship internationally. He’s kind of a dick :nod:

On a serious note though, if you do see a certain Z in the classifieds know that it’s being sold with a heavy heart. Places that I once thought undetectable by little people have been found. Just reducing my VAS collection.

Much love to this community and RBT. Hope to see a rebirth soon.

Top Bottom