Discontinued RBT Splinter (All Versions)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Here is the thing:
I just found out the splinter exists and I seem to have a vague comprehension of how it works. Or not.

I am going back and forth.
„nah, dont need it“. I use a Vapcap and thats good enough for me.
Come the next day and I am thinking about this mysterious wooden tube again.

The possibility of picking the thing up and just pressing a button to get an instant hit is nice.
But a Vapcap with an IH can do that to.

Can small amounts of material be used in the splinter without holding it upside down in waterfilter-position?

Often a 0.05g Vapcap bowl is enough for me.
The splinter is more a heavy hitter, right? That uses more
material, or am I guessing wrong?
You certainly can configure your load for small, non-inverted (upright) hits.
Splinter is a very cool device. There is a learning curve slightly greater than just pressing the button.
Can be heavy hitter or a sipper; user controls that.
Since you are new to the Splinter, be aware that the manufacturer has closed his doors, no new products, and very little support for the old products. (The glass, for example, is one of the few parts that might break, but it seems there are no replacement glass pieces available anymore?). These are my impressions from reading here.

FLelder ent

Here is the thing:
I just found out the splinter exists and I seem to have a vague comprehension of how it works. Or not.

The possibility of picking the thing up and just pressing a button to get an instant hit is nice.

I have both . I consider my Splinter to be a "heavy hitter." I don't even use my Dynavap these days. I fill the splinter with about .10 g when I am in the mood for a heavy hit, and it is nice to just press a button ... lol..:peace:

LabPong

Haha I'm honored you think I could, but I don't have the tools to do the backlog im afraid there is. Plus I do not want to steal any business from KGW as she is 100X more qualified than me. I just talked to her recently and shower her mountain glass, so she may or may not use to source them.

Alison has washed her hands of anything RBT now....she is only concentrating on her products going forward.

LabPong,
Reactions: arb

GoldenBud

you can do microdose with the splinter take a "basket on basket" or something, 0.05g between the baskets.
it's 100% convection and VapCap is 100% conduction or almost 100%
you need to inhale more air to get the material hot in splinter
the taste should be better in the splinters

GoldenBud,
Reactions: arb

jbm

The Splinters are pure convection, are incredibly efficient, and still give the best flavor of any of the vapes I own. As for load size, since the herbs are only heated when you’re drawing through them you can pack a basket, take a few hits, and come back to it later. f it’s available I would go with a Z, it takes a little longer to get the material heated up but once you do the flavor and effects are pretty amazing. If not available, I’d still get a v1/2. It’s a shame that RBT has gone out of business, but it’d still be worth owning one. You’d just have to be careful with it. I have 2 Zs and 2 Splinters and they’re still daily drivers for me.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
@Mr.Sifter, long time no see! Hope you're doing well.

I agree it's a bit of a conundrum buying a device from a defunct company. If you're not hard on vapes and you want great flavor and vapor quality I'd recommend the ZV1 that @Shit Snacks was talking about. Pair it with either a Wismec RX Gen3 Dual running Arctic Fox or myvic or a Wismec Sinuous Ravage running Red Panda.

Efficiency is also first rate and it's easy to fill a basket screen maybe a third of the way and still get two or three generous clouds when you want them. Another advantage to the Splinters is that using them in wattage or TC mode yields a different extraction so it's got two distinct personalities that are rewarding in different ways.

The cooling stems are a must if you're not gonna use a bubbler and those will also be harder to find now unless you pay a premium for custom glass stems, which I've done with great results.

I have all the Splinters and still rate them tops for flavor and performance among on demand convection portables. A Tinymight is a good investment too. Great design and easy, consistent results. Ideally I'd want you to have one of each.

Vapcaps paired with an induction heater are great fun and maybe the ultimate in efficiency, but not in contention for any flavor awards.

Last edited:

jbm

I have all the Splinters and still rate them tops for flavor and performance among on demand convection portables. A Tinymight is a good investment too. Great design and easy, consistent results. Ideally I'd want you to have one of each.
This. I have both as well. I mostly rotate my RBT vapes (Splinters and Milaanas) and the TM these days. I still think the flavor is better on the Splinters, but if the guy gets his business practices straightened out I’d have no qualms recommending a TM as well. Get both, if it’s financially viable, and baby the Splinter.

Mr.Sifter

There are two different models available to me here in the EU.
A Splinter V2 in a black wood design and a Splinter Z

you guys keep recommending the Z over the V2.
The price difference is quite steep for me.

What am I missing when I go with the V2 instead of the Z?

The V2 is manufactured in China? Is this still "a real Splinter" ?

Mr.Sifter,

Mr.Sifter

I would in heartbeat if my life was different.
booh booh

What can the Z do that the V2 can't.

Is it a difference like a M compared to an Omni ?
I find these differences not worth the price.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Very sad also... I purchased the first Milaana version but never was in the Rbt train... and now they getting out of business I want their vapes... Is it a symptom of a big issue in my mind...? (I bought 2 Squares when they was out of business, get interest in a Vapolution3 and still looking for the rare ESV floating around) How do you call that syndrom?

I'll try to get a Splinter since @Shit Snacks get me about his preference for his Splinter... I have a Iheat I dig a lot, a MistVape Imp and a Tinymight which is a powertool! Which Splinter would you recommand @Shit Snacks ?

Haha you got the DVAS (discontinued vaporizer acquisition syndrome)! My friend totally dropped the ball on sending you their ESV, what a waste... But yes I prescribe the Splinter Z to better differentiate it from the others for you, since it has the Zion heater, the original RBT special sauce ;)

Since you are new to the Splinter, be aware that the manufacturer has closed his doors, no new products, and very little support for the old products. (The glass, for example, is one of the few parts that might break, but it seems there are no replacement glass pieces available anymore?). These are my impressions from reading here.

FYI this discussion began by addressing that issue and saying that the products were worthwhile despite customer support... The glass itself could be available (delayed from China or mountainglass), the problem is there is no person to perform repairs now.

Alison has washed her hands of anything RBT now....she is only concentrating on her products going forward.

The term "washed hands of" sounds pretty negative toward one party, personally I would say "bailed on" since that seems more accurate to describe the situation... :2c::peace:

I agree it's a bit of a conundrum buying a device from a defunct company. If you're not hard on vapes and you want great flavor and vapor quality I'd recommend the ZV1 that @Shit Snacks was talking about. Pair it with either a Wismec RX Gen3 Dual running Arctic Fox or myvic or a Wismec Sinuous Ravage running Red Panda.

Don't forget Tubo firmware! It now runs on G3D and P80, so I was thinking I would use that for my incoming ZV1 on my purple G3D, since I have my V2 on a blue P80 running ArcticFox in temp control and my custom Canary Z on a grey G3D running SurMyEvic in wattage... while my custom purpleheart Z is on the RX DNA 250 for temp control.

Here is the thing:

I am going back and forth.
„nah, dont need it“. I use a Vapcap and thats good enough for me.
Come the next day and I am thinking about this mysterious wooden tube again.

Can small amounts of material be used in the splinter without holding it upside down in waterfilter-position?

Yeah you are guessing wrong, it is a heavy hitter because of the robust heater and pure convection on demand, top tier because of its materials which further help result in high vapor quality (robust with great flavor). You will notice better flavor compared to a VC, despite both being on demand, the heating technology involved is completely different, which results in different vapor signature... And Splinter should actually be quicker to take a hit then a vapcap even with an induction heater btw since your inhaling is what's creating the vapor (with a VC you are waiting for it to create the vapor for you first)

Also the using upside down is just for the first hit to get the load seated securely so it will not fall out onto the heater screen, there is no actual real reason to use it upside down, but it is recommended as the way to load and remove the stems for safety and again to prevent spillage... the glass stems and basket screens result in the ability to use a very wide range of load size. You just need to load enough herb to cover the screen, it helps to pack down if you are loading a very small amount like ≤.05g and it will work fine, but I find more like .10g, or rather in between at .075g, to produce more enjoyable vapor... It is possible to eke out several hits or kill it in one, depending on the power settings and how you use it.

There are two different models available to me here in the EU.
A Splinter V2 in a black wood design and a Splinter Z

you guys keep recommending the Z over the V2.
The price difference is quite steep for me.

What am I missing when I go with the V2 instead of the Z?

The V2 is manufactured in China? Is this still "a real Splinter" ?

The standard Splinter heater is based off the Milaana, which was a smaller simplified Zion heater (which is what is in the Z) and it is technically not capable of the same power output... Now that doesn't mean it is lacking at all, and if you are only trying one for the first time you will not know what you are missing by not having the other... That being said the Z is a bit more impressive, particularly for home use being larger, and it has a more standard glass connection (19/22 vs 19/19) to work with some aftermarket stems... So with Z you get a larger more complex heater, which is beneficial for pure convection, but the regular Splinter still has a similar heater and a similar experience... in practical use.

Anything with V1 or V2 was mass-produced in China, only available in one type of wood (bubinga V1 blackwood V2) but yes they are still very real, designed and created by the same person, that's why I say conceivably production could be geared back up someday with help from investors perhaps... Custom Splinters were made by him alone, with exotic woods and some different sourcing for materials (they also use mica as an insulator plate for the steel mesh heater, like the original models, whereas all the China models now use a ceramic plate)

To your question about is V2 vs ZV2 like a regular vapcap M vs an Omni, the answer is both yes and no... While both work the same way, each VC still uses the same exact heater (the cap, however you choose to heat it) they just differ by airflow? Whereas with the Splinters, they use different heaters but everything else is the same? So again if you are not comparing you might never know the difference, but you should know before buying that the Z is a bit more powerful.

Last edited:

Mr.Sifter

Wow,
thank you for your time writing this to me.
I am really thankful for your expertise; it will generate new questions as I am reading up on the Splinter in several open tabs.

A propos Shit Snacks, ... I think I will prepare a snack for me now :D

One quickie question is on my tongue,.... or is it mind?

The XL8R stems.
short vs long
big difference ?

jbm

So again if you are not comparing you might never know the difference, but you should know before buying that the Z is a bit more powerful.
Really, if you can afford the Z, get it. I have 2 custom Zs and I reach for them far more often than either of my regular Splinters (a v1 and an older walnut custom.)
Don't forget Tubo firmware! It now runs on G3D and P80, so I was thinking I would use that for my incoming ZV1 on my purple G3D, since I have my V2 on a blue P80 running ArcticFox in temp control and my custom Canary Z on a grey G3D running SurMyEvic in wattage... While my custom purpleheart Z is on the RX DNA 250 for temp control.
The versatility and choice here with mods is great. I have both custom Zs set up on Wismec G3Ds running Arctic Fox, with profiles set up for both wattage mode and TC mode. I resisted temp control for a long time, but with the help of @bossman @Shit Snacks and others on here I use it now and enjoy it. I have a Paranormal 250, but I don’t like it as much as the Wismec and use it mostly for a Sai Top Airflow. It takes a while to get fully dialed into a Splinter, but once you do, they’re solid performers.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Wow,
thank you for your time writing this to me.
I am really thankful for your expertise; it will generate new questions as I am reading up on the Splinter in several open tabs.

A propos Shit Snacks, ... I think I will prepare a snack for me now :D

One quickie question is on my tongue,.... or is it mind?

The XL8R stems.
short vs long
big difference ?

My pleasure to help, I know it can seem unfortunately pretty complicated just to jump in, but once you do that all melts away... regarding the cooler stems, yes there can be a big difference with a lot more cooling, but the shorter stems can help you sense the vapor better (very helpful when you are not using temp control) Since glass can break, it makes sense to get both, if they are offering the king cooling kit in particular... The longer one can feel a little unwieldly, especially on a splinter z on a tall mod, so many people prefer the shorter one for that reason... I think a WPA (male to male adapter) is maybe more useful than the long cooler stem, because it allows you to connect your splinter to water or other long dry stems for cooling like a jayhook (which is my go to for most of my vapes now)

Really, if you can afford the Z, get it. I have 2 custom Zs and I reach for them far more often than either of my regular Splinters (a v1 and an older walnut custom.)

Yeah I agree, and I think most owners of both would as well, however if you have never tried either and you get the regular splinter, I don't think you will feel like it is not enough, you know? But yes if affordable, the Z will provide overall stronger performance especially if portability is not a concern!

The versatility and choice here with mods is great. I have both custom Zs set up on Wismec G3Ds running Arctic Fox, with profiles set up for both wattage mode and TC mode. I resisted temp control for a long time, but with the help of @bossman and others on here I use it nowAnd enjoy it. I have a Paranormal 250, but I don’t like it as much as the Wismec and use it mostly for a Sai Top Airflow. It takes a while to get fully dialed into a Splinter, but once you do, they’re solid performers.

Yeah, I was the same way, first I had the canary z in wattage on the G3D and then I got my blackwood V2 and set it up on the RX250 for DNA temp control... When I got the P80, I used Arctic Fox to configure the TCR (since I already had experience doing this with my Imp first) also with help from @bossman and his settings, for my V2 and it is working so well that I have not changed it since... I suppose I could use wattage still, but I am not tempted really because of how well the TCR is working for me there (and I have the Canary Z in wattage instead, which can be useful for convection dabbing too)

I got my purpleheart Z later and threw it on the RX250 to have some DNA temp control Z hits (but unfortunately for some reason this one does not taste as pure and their performance isn't particularly amazing?) So that is partially why I wanted to get the ZV1 to set up with TCR temp control on my backup G3D... Sure I could just try to configure it with my Canary Z, but I kind of like having different units for different mods and settings, greater variety and justification for having multiple of the same vape?? :rolleyes::lol:

Last edited:
Shit Snacks,
Reactions: bossman

Mr.Sifter

Splinter is 100GBP.
Splinter Z is 180 GBP.

I still would need XL8R stems.
Plus shippingPlus Mod plus 18650 batteries.

I never touched or saw a splinter vape in my life.
Cant splash ca 250EUR on a unknown project.

Mr.Sifter,

Shit Snacks

Splinter is 100GBP.
Splinter Z is 180 GBP.

I still would need XL8R stems.
Plus shippingPlus Mod plus 18650 batteries.

I never touched or saw a splinter vape in my life.
Cant splash ca 250EUR on a unknown project.

Yeah that is a wide price differential, I know it must be more expensive to get them in the EU, and some markup, but that is merely speculation on their pricing... They could have any reason they want for charging what they do? So I would still recommend emailing them, to see if there are any discount codes available, or if there is any kind of special bundle deal you could do getting the splinter with cooling stems and a mod even?! Otherwise yeah, hard to justify paying so much more, I absolutely feel you!

Edit: oh and maybe you should also check out planetvape to see what they would charge to ship to you? Since their price for a Splinter Z itself is absolutely less! (They have Splinter ZV1 and ZV2 for $125-140 USD but were out of stock on custom Z when I ordered, could be that vapefiend only has the custom Z's now and is charging more as a result? could explain that price a little more)

Last edited:

LabPong

The term "washed hands of" sounds pretty negative toward one party, personally I would say "bailed on" since that seems more accurate to describe the situation... :2c::peace:

My words should be taken as mechanical......nothing suggestive or implacable what so ever.

😉

Mr.Sifter

Planetvape.ca offers a Splinter Z for 170$.
There are so many different Splinters there.
Custom, V1, V2 ??

I am still checking if they ship to the EU and what they would charge.
Sadly there is still tax to be payed when ordering from outside the US.
So, I think I would end up even above the VapeFiend pricetag.

Mr.Sifter,

Choices

Custom, V1, V2 ??

I’m not completely sure but I think those prices are Canadian Dollars. That could be a factor in deciding perhaps?

GoldenBud

Custom, V1, V2 ??

If you won't find, Buy Splinter US here, Italian good site:
they send to your country right? you're in EU?

better having US Splinter than V Splinter

Mr.Sifter

first of all:
How did you find this Italian shop?

Ok, this shop offers a Splinter in a US Version for the price that Vapefiend does.
What is the difference? US vs China made Splinter.

Mr.Sifter,

Shit Snacks

Custom, V1, V2 ??

Yeah what's on the site is in the Canadian dollar, what I quoted you is how it transfers to US dollar, not sure how that translates then to you in Euro though...

The cheapest option is the one I got, Splinter ZV1, which they just call "Splinter Z" for $170CN/125US which was the first one made in China, comes in bubinga wood with clear glass and ceramic insulator plate... The Splinter ZV2 is $20 more with blackwood and smoked glass, otherwise it is the same really. Then the custom Splinter Z will probably be more money, though I'm not sure they are in stock right now at planetvape? The difference there is they were hand built by Ryan in the US, using clear German glass and exotic woods and mica for the insulator plate...

For the regular Splinter, I do not think anyone anywhere has the custom available anymore (those handmade by Ryan in the US with mica insulator plate) since he transitions to only doing custom Z's, but the original V1 (which was the first made in China and actually used mica insulator plate) may be available and they have the V1+ (which is the same, bubinga wood and clear glass, but has the ceramic insulator plate) and the V2 (blackwood with smoked glass and of course the ceramic insulator plate)

Just so you know all the variations, the difference is between them are pretty minor, it is reasonable to go for the cheapest option, should not really change anything in use... However there can be some different opinions between different users who have multiple units as you'll see here!

If you won't find, Buy Splinter US here, Italian good site:
they send to your country right? you're in EU?

better having US Splinter than V Splinter

Oh yeah I forgot about weedgadget! They're a little more under the radar but very legit!!

Also yeah I'm not sure I would agree that it's better to have a US custom splinter than a China-built splinter personally... I think there can be various pros and cons to each, and since these are all the way they are (ie glass and wood), there can be slight variance unit to unit regardless of user preferences.

first of all:
How did you find this Italian shop?

Ok, this shop offers a Splinter in a US Version for the price that Vapefiend does.
What is the difference? US vs China made Splinter.

RBT had a bunch of official retailers sign up when the splinter was outsourced and upscaled, weedgadget was one of them, there was also one in Australia along with vapefiend and planetvape, possibly others... I remember he had been promoting them on his Instagram for one thing.

And yes see above for the various differences between the various models, I also posted these differences in more detail on the first page of this thread!

Shit Snacks,

Mr.Sifter

The Splinter on the Italian website is not a Z.
Its a "normal" Splinter but I cant tell if it is V1 or V2 or OG

From your start post on page1 I would assume it is a OG. (?)
If so, I would run into trouble when ordering XL8R stems in the future, right?

The Vapefiend Z price is ca 190EUR.
Splinter Z (using the larger Zion heater instead of the Milaana heater used in regular Splinters, these are also known as US Customs, handmade by RBT in small batches with mica insulator plate and standard 19/22 size thick clear German glass, they come in 4 exotic woods: purpleheart, canarywood, bubinga, wenge)
Are the Splinter Z on Vapefiend US made then ?

Ok.

three choices as I see it.

1) Vapefiend Splinter V2 = 121EUR shipped

2) italian Weedgadget Splinter (US made) = 126 EUR shipped

3) PlanetVape Splinter ZV1 approx 145EUR shipped with tax

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Edit: just seeing these recent posts and I agree with @GoldenBud that the ZV1 or Zv2 is worth the upgrade.

I have both omni and M vapcaps and I'll use whatever is at hand so I'm another person who thinks the crazy price difference doesn't translate to performance. It's more about the expense of working with titanium.

However the Z has a bigger heater like @Shit Snacks says and a ceiling for flavor.

The V1/2 is a total fog machine though and just using wattage mode with no configuration fussing it will knock your socks off. I'd prefer a V2 to a V1 and either of those over an og custom Splinter just for even performance without hot spots.

Not to fuck with you additionally but I'd honestly prefer a ZV2 to a ZV1. My ZV1 developed a small crack in the wood body near the top after a while. It's still going strong but I recall Ryan saying some early production runs didn't account for the swelling of the continually reheated body and they addressed that subsequently. In both the Z and Splinter its the blackwood V2 version that came last so those have any improvements while the bubinga may not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom