Random thoughts

florduh

They only have a Parliament/Congress because the Kingdom allows it, they are the Law, the King/Queen can do anything, they can kill people and get away with it or drive without a license if they wish because they make the Law.

I was about to be mortified by all of that. Then I realized in America we have that same exact situation, with oligarchs instead of Royals. It's just easier to see when we're talking about one group of cousins.

florduh,
Reactions: Planck

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
If I understand correctly.....The new UK Prime Minister, Liz Truss, made a speech stating the monarchy should be abolished in her early days. Prior to becoming PM she met with the queen and was scheduled to meet with the queen again. A PM gotta do what a PM gotta do.

His_Highness,
  • Wow
Reactions: florduh

DrJynx86

The difference I see, is that democratic governments sometimes will be so bad and don't care about "country money" while on the other hand, the Royals being "owners" will change Parliament immediately and make sure even if two parties exist, they need to work together to make sure royal money is not wasted.

Spain is one weird case, because they allowed too much corruption and the King is like yes we allow you to exist but you don't have too much power, other countries like Japan are great because great leadership, the same can be said of UK.

You even have the case of a guy in Brazil that calls himself The King of Brazil and have some people trying to democratically go back to being a Kingdom instead of a Republic :D

DrJynx86,

florduh

You even have the case of a guy in Brazil that calls himself The King of Brazil and have some people trying to democratically go back to being a Kingdom instead of a Republic :D

I discovered this a few years ago, but there are sincere monarchists in America too. Not many, and they're real weirdos. That's what happens if you go Right Wing enough. The Right/Left dichotomy began during the French Revolution. The Right wanted a return to tradition and monarchy.

I do have another idea you can maybe share with your MP. If there has to be a monarchy, why continue choosing from the same small group of cousins? Have a sort of Eurovision competition to decide. And it doesn't have to be singing. Feats of strength, a general talent show. Whatever you want.

My idea would be a Jeopardy style tourney. Then the smartest guy/gal would rule. I find the idea of monarchs kind of disgusting. But even I might accept Kenneth Jennings, First Of His Name as my king.

ET_SE62U4AAceI8.jpg

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I saw the Queen speak in 1983 at the University of Washington in Seattle. I was really far away from where she spoke in the basketball center, but next to me were 2 women Anglophiles openly weeping with happiness. It was surreal.

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
They only have a Parliament/Congress because the Kingdom allows it, they are the Law, the King/Queen can do anything, they can kill people and get away with it or drive without a license if they wish because they make the Law.

I mean, the Army still swear allegiance, you cannot get away from them unless you do what The Americas did during the 1800's, a bloody civil war, that in this case of modernity, will be lost in seconds.

It's an unfortunate reality that the world's "Elites" are actually just high profile parasites. Sickening amounts of wealth held by sick people. There isn't a lawyer, politician or priest I would be comfortable leaving a child with but there are plenty of bikers, oil workers and regular folk I safely entrusted my children to.

As far as fighting modern armies go, the belief they are invincible due to technology is laughable. The list of "modern armies" whipped by irregular forces is as long as your arm. Strong people can overcome anything (especially weak people with advanced gadgets) , IF they have the will. It's barely been a year since the Afghan people severely humiliated the US Military and Joe Biden without a single F15.

DrJynx86

My sister is a fan, she's probably crying now, she's not even british, and his boyfriend is from Dublin where they all hate the Queen/Kingdom so they're probably having a party now or at least cheerfully having a pint.

I expect some changes, at least I'm sure Jamaica and other commonwealth poor countries/colonies will vote them out, I still cannot believe they do the "hold the kings chair in your back as we are still slaves" thing to this day. And they don't even give UK passports to Jamaican People, what a joke.

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
I discovered this a few years ago, but there are sincere monarchists in America too. Not many, and they're real weirdos. That's what happens if you go Right Wing enough. The Right/Left dichotomy began during the French Revolution. The Right wanted a return to tradition and monarchy.

I do have another idea you can maybe share with your MP. If there has to be a monarchy, why continue choosing from the same small group of cousins? Have a sort of Eurovision competition to decide. And it doesn't have to be singing. Feats of strength, a general talent show. Whatever you want.

My idea would be a Jeopardy style tourney. Then the smartest guy/gal would rule. I find the idea of monarchs kind of disgusting. But even I might accept Kenneth Jennings, First Of His Name as my king.

ET_SE62U4AAceI8.jpg

Yeah, no. I kneel to no man, maaaaybe a really hot chick but some dweeb in a fancy suit? Nope. I'd rather live 1 day as a tiger than 100 years as a chicken.

florduh

Yeah, no. I kneel to no man, maaaaybe a really hot chick but some dweeb in a fancy suit? Nope. I'd rather live 1 day as a tiger than 100 years as a chicken.

I agree. I'm just saying I'd rather be ruled by the winningest player in the history of Jeopardy than this abomination who's never accomplished anything:

prince-charles-prince-of-wales-poses-for-an-official-news-photo-1586373686.jpg

The fuck are those medals for? Murdering foxes?

The silver lining here is that the shine might come off this whole royalty thing now that the monarch isn't a delightful old granny.

florduh,
  • Haha
Reactions: Planck

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
I agree. I'm just saying I'd rather be ruled by the winningest player in the history of Jeopardy than this abomination who's never accomplished anything:

prince-charles-prince-of-wales-poses-for-an-official-news-photo-1586373686.jpg

The fuck are those medals for? Murdering foxes?

The silver lining here is that the shine might come off this whole royalty thing now that the monarch isn't a delightful old granny.

He was in the Navy and RAF but never saw combat

He is wearing the following medals (ordered from left to right):

Queen’s Service Order (New Zealand)
Coronation Medal
Silver Jubilee Medal
Golden Jubilee Medal
Diamond Jubilee Medal
Naval Long Service Good Conduct (LSGC) (three additional service bars)
Canadian Forces Decoration (three additional service bars)
The New Zealand Commemmorative Medal
New Zealand Armed Forces Award

He is also wearing the Order of Bath around his neck, the Order of Merit badge, the Order of the Garter sash, the Order of the Garter badge, the Garter Star and the Order of the Thistle star.

Side note I'm almost certain the Garter awards are for Chivalry, so around 30 percent of his medals are for holding the door for women.

tokenknifeguy

Am I the only one who really doesn't give a shit about these families who have kept the populous under their control for centuries? In fact I'm ready for the ones that control the US to be removed as well. Seems like the only reason why most Americans even care is because the media keeps shoving it down our throats.

florduh

Americans even care is because the media keeps shoving it down our throats.

That's part of it, but @macbill pointed out that he had friends in the 80's who were moved to tears by the mere sight of an English monarch. I had an ex who was a big Royals fan, and she never watched the news. I remember her asking if I wanted to wake up at like 4AM to watch the Royal Wedding. I said, "baby, the Founding Fathers fought a war to ensure I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night to see these inbred pedophiles getting married."

I think most Americans just have a terminal case of medieval peasant brain. They get down on their knees in deference to the business "genius" oligarchs who rule over us here. Their bosses. So of course a lot of them will do the same to actual divine right of kings royals.

It makes sense since capitalism has devolved into feudalism with better toys and treats for the peasantry. Capitalism sure is getting its revenge on its predecessor in this situation though...

FcS7eixXwAQIRYG

I regret to inform everyone that Her Majesty's immortal soul has been uploaded to the McDonalds mainframe. She will now be forced to take burger orders for the rest of time.

DrJynx86

Would be amazing to hack those screens with a horror scene like the one in Lord of the Rings where Bilbo gets darker and scarier, the Queen becoming zombie like and suddenly attacking with sound and all.

DrJynx86,

florduh

I think McDonalds fucked up. This is how SkyNet goes live. Lizzy's soul will eventually break out of their servers and take over the world.

sddefault.jpg

Don't believe me? Here she is inspecting her future shock troops while she was still embodied

1311548674054502062.jpg

The House of Windsor will rule over humanity for the next 10,000 years. At least the money will look cool.

236121_1_800.jpeg

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
This coming Thursday, September 15th, marks the beginning of my 37th year of sobriety. I haven't done many things in my life to make me proud: I'm proud I gave up alcohol - it literally would have killed me. As we former alcoholics say, "One beer is too many; 100 beers are not enough."

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
This coming Thursday, September 15th, marks the beginning of my 37th year of sobriety. I haven't done many things in my life to make me proud: I'm proud I gave up alcohol - it literally would have killed me. As we former alcoholics say, "One beer is too many; 100 beers are not enough."

Yeah, I'm still in that 100 beers category. Been thinking about it a lot more lately though, as the numbness in my feet these last few years, as well as the beginning tingling in my fingertips the last year, is reminding me to think about it.

Top Bottom