Random thoughts

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
But when that happens, they almost always land on their feet. They don't end up in poverty like the workers who got laid off due to their stupidity.

Yeah man, at least here those guys first get paid (quite well) because they have to leave (after fucking up mind you) and then just float into the next high end job.
'Cause hey: they did it before so 'they know'.
"They know what?" you may ask... Totally understand this question but let me tell you something: you may not ... (ask this kind of questions my friend! At least not if you want an answer... LoL)
Trust them, they just know...
Things you and i can not know because we would not be able to unknow them and then they'd be busted...
So they just keep the same bunch in the loop for those functions regardless how big or often they fuck up.
It's easier like that, safer... Don't change a winning team, even when they lose...

666Honeybadger,
Reactions: florduh

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Fascinating: "In 2020, per capita murder rates were 40% higher in states won by Donald Trump than those won by Joe Biden. 8 of the 10 states w/the highest murder rates in 2020 voted for the Republican presidential nominee in every election this century."

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Fascinating: "In 2020, per capita murder rates were 40% higher in states won by Donald Trump than those won by Joe Biden. 8 of the 10 states w/the highest murder rates in 2020 voted for the Republican presidential nominee in every election this century."
Shotguns and Budweiser don't mix well together.

Planck

believes in Dog

florduh

When I travel to LA, NYC, Portland etc, my mom always tells me to be very careful because of all the crime. She says this because she sandblasts the remaining grooves in her brain with a certain cable news station nearly 24 hours per day.

But yes, there are plenty of more rural places with a higher violent crime rate than NYC. It has way less to do with Red/Blue bullshit, and way more to do with the fact that Neoliberalism has just abandoned huge swaths of this country. We shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas, and replaced them with shitty service industry jobs. This causes desperation as it's impossible to live an even somewhat dignified life working these jobs. And that desperation often manifests as crime, including violent crime.

And, it's a bit obnoxious to see the "Third Way" organization posting this article. They're like the Shock Troops for neoliberalism. Their entire goal was to make the Blue Team more like Saint Reagan. Pushing through NAFTA, attacking the Labor Movement, and more than anything promoting the idea that the Infallible Free Market is magic and just.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
When I travel to LA, NYC, Portland etc, my mom always tells me to be very careful because of all the crime. She says this because she sandblasts the remaining grooves in her brain with a certain cable news station nearly 24 hours per day.

But yes, there are plenty of more rural places with a higher violent crime rate than NYC. It has way less to do with Red/Blue bullshit, and way more to do with the fact that Neoliberalism has just abandoned huge swaths of this country. We shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas, and replaced them with shitty service industry jobs. This causes desperation as it's impossible to live an even somewhat dignified life working these jobs. And that desperation often manifests as crime, including violent crime.

And, it's a bit obnoxious to see the "Third Way" organization posting this article. They're like the Shock Troops for neoliberalism. Their entire goal was to make the Blue Team more like Saint Reagan. Pushing through NAFTA, attacking the Labor Movement, and more than anything promoting the idea that the Infallible Free Market is magic and just.

Clever how they use less densely populated areas to inflate the numbers in comparison. That article seems to proves how easy you can manipulate perceptions with unbalanced statistics.

Look how they arranged the two graph tables in a specific order (not based on size) so that it always fits the "40% higher" claim.

For example, comparing Oregon to North Dakota when Oregon is almost 500% larger / more populated.

Or Kentucky to Ilinois, 4 million vs 12 million. That means three murders have to occur in Illinois to raise the murder rate as much as one in Kentucky.

That makes it sound actually safer in Illnois. (Chiraq as the kids call it)

Now if you re-hash these metrics and adjust for population density it tells a different story. 🤔🤔

florduh

Clever how they use less densely populated areas to inflate the numbers in comparison. That article seems to proves how easy you can manipulate perceptions with unbalanced statistics.

Look how they arranged the two graph tables in a specific order (not based on size) so that it always fits the "40% higher" claim.

For example, comparing Oregon to North Dakota when Oregon is almost 500% larger / more populated.

Or Kentucky to Ilinois, 4 million vs 12 million. That means three murders have to occur in Illinois to raise the murder rate as much as one in Kentucky.

That makes it sound actually safer in Illnois. (Chiraq as the kids call it)

Now if you re-hash these metrics and adjust for population density it tells a different story. 🤔🤔

I'll be honest, I didn't even click on the article once I saw "Third Way". Couldn't do it. But the way these stats are typically presented are crimes/murders per 100,000 people. There will always be more total murders in areas with more people.

A couple months ago I was on a late night kick where I looked for places with affordable land I could buy and run away to. I would then look at the crime stats for the counties that land was in. I was shocked to discover there are plenty of rural places with a whole lot of violent crime per 100k residents. Then it sort of made sense. Lots of places were left behind in this country, and not just in inner cities.

I need to send this article to my mom. It's from her favorite website. She should be many times more worried about me when I go to Milwaukee than NYC.

FWlGjE6X0AEC4Vp

Jacksonville and Nashville are more dangerous than LA too.

Also my mom's 60. I don't think she even should be allowed to complain about crime. For like 90% of her life crime was worse than it is now. I can complain. I don't think she should be able to. A possible, and pretty funny, explanation for why there was more crime during most of her life:

blog_lead_crime_main_chart.gif

1973PortlandToker

A girl I knew in the CCC asked me one day: "If a UFO landed and invited you to get on and go with them, would you?" I think I said I wasn't sure, but she enthusiastically said hell yeah I'd go. She was really excited.

Would you?

What if you asked the alien if you'd be able to come back to Earth, and he said no?

What if the alien was a very attractive she? (Unless you're a woman, or bi.)

Last edited:
1973PortlandToker,

florduh

A girl I knew in the CCC asked me one day: "If a UFO landed and invited you to get on and go with them, would you?" I think I said I wasn't sure, but she enthusiastically said hell yeah I'd go. She was really excited.

Would you?

What if you asked the alien if you'd be able to come back to Earth, and he said no?

What if the alien was a very attractive she? (Unless you're a woman.)

I’m a sci-if head and a 7 day a week cannabis consumer. So I’ve thought about this a lot.

If you asked me earlier in the year, right after I read “The Three Body Problem” series by Liu Cixin… I’d say fuck no. There’s no reason to assume aliens would be cool and good. And many good reasons to assume they’re not.

I’m re-reading “The Culture” novels by Iain M Banks now though. Yeah I’d for sure go fuck off with those guys. Deuces, Earth✌️ Good luck with all that bullshit.

The Culture would let me come back though and they give their citizens free healthcare that includes having a second heart implanted if you want, just so you can fuck longer. So…not really a tough choice.

florduh,
Reactions: Planck

1973PortlandToker

Her name was Heidi. She was from Vallejo. She was unusual. Not like other girls.

And she was hot.

One June Gloom day when we were cruising down an East Bay freeway in the CCC van back to our base above La Honda, she put her mindblowing bare foot up on the dash. She was sitting right next to me. Jefferson Airplane's Somebody to Love came on the radio and she exclaimed Turn it up! Damn I wanted to fuck her.

She wanted to get on a UFO and explore the universe with them.

Last edited:

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist

Would you?

What if the alien was a very attractive she? (Unless you're a woman, or bi.)

Hell no. Any alien race willing to take the people from this planet back to thier planet can't be that intelligent . Besides, things are getting interesting and I believe there will be plenty of excitement and adventure for everyone in the near future. I'm looking forward to see how the events play out right here on planet earth. Like the old saying goes, "May you live in interesting times" yeah we've got front row seats to the greatest show on Earth.

Planck

believes in Dog
I'll be honest, I didn't even click on the article once I saw "Third Way". Couldn't do it. But the way these stats are typically presented are crimes/murders per 100,000 people.
:D I deliberately used the actual url in the link so that Third Way was in plan site.

The stats BY 3RD Way are indeed presented as per 100,000.

2020 motor vehicle deaths by state, just 'cause...
#1. (24.8 deaths per 100,000 in Mississippi)
#2. (22.0 deaths per 100,000 in Wyoming)
#3. (21.1 deaths per 100,000 in Arkansas)
#4. (19.6 deaths per 100,000 in South Carolina)
#5. (19.5 deaths per 100,000 in Montana)
#6. (18.9 deaths per 100,000 in Alabama)
#7. (18.5 deaths per 100,000 in New Mexico)
#8. (17.9 deaths per 100,000 in Tennessee)
#9. (17.3 deaths per 100,000 in Louisiana)
#10.(17.3 deaths per 100,000 in Kentucky)

FWlGjE6X0AEC4Vp

Planck,

florduh

:D I deliberately used the actual url in the link so that Third Way was in plan site.

The stats BY 3RD Way are indeed presented as per 100,000.

2020 motor vehicle deaths by state, just 'cause...
#1. (24.8 deaths per 100,000 in Mississippi)
#2. (22.0 deaths per 100,000 in Wyoming)
#3. (21.1 deaths per 100,000 in Arkansas)
#4. (19.6 deaths per 100,000 in South Carolina)
#5. (19.5 deaths per 100,000 in Montana)
#6. (18.9 deaths per 100,000 in Alabama)
#7. (18.5 deaths per 100,000 in New Mexico)
#8. (17.9 deaths per 100,000 in Tennessee)
#9. (17.3 deaths per 100,000 in Louisiana)
#10.(17.3 deaths per 100,000 in Kentucky)

FWlGjE6X0AEC4Vp

There’s like 50 people in Wyoming. How the fuck are they all crashing into each other? That’s wild.

florduh,
Reactions: Planck

Planck

believes in Dog
There’s like 50 people in Wyoming. How the fuck are they all crashing into each other? That’s wild.
Florida is #11 at 16.2, y'all have to try harder.
Cali #36 at 9.5 and Mass #51 at 5

An interactive chart of the National Safety Council data for all states at the bottom of the page.

I'd speculate that it is because there is so little traffic that Wyoming hit the #2 spot. Not enough stimulation (other traffic and apparent danger curves etc.) to keep the brain engaged with the driving task. :shrug:

Planck,

florduh

Florida is #11 at 16.2, y'all have to try harder.
Cali #36 at 9.5 and Mass #51 at 5

An interactive chart of the National Safety Council data for all states at the bottom of the page.

I'd speculate that it is because there is so little traffic that Wyoming hit the #2 spot. Not enough stimulation (other traffic and apparent danger curves etc.) to keep the brain engaged with the driving task. :shrug:

Florida now has California levels of traffic, so I'm surprised it's not higher. That's what I don't get. If there's no traffic in a State, why are you more likely to end up in a deadly accident? Montana is up there too. Maybe it has to do with the number of hospitals? If you can get to a hospital in minutes after a deadly accident, maybe fewer people die than in areas where the closest hospital is 45 minutes away.

florduh,

Knewt

In the western states with few people there is lots of wide open spaces. Lots of drowsy driving fatalities. Also very high highway speeds. In my very red state there are still lots of people that can’t be bothered with seat belts.

Knewt,

florduh

In the western states with few people there is lots of wide open spaces. Lots of drowsy driving fatalities. Also very high highway speeds. In my very red state there are still lots of people that can’t be bothered with seat belts.

That makes sense. I definitely feel safer when I'm driving on some lonely road in the middle of nowhere than in a busy area. So I bet it's natural to let your guard down a bit. Compared to dealing with rush hour in LA, where you need to be very aware of your surroundings every second you're behind the wheel.

Maybe this whole topic is an example of cognitive biases. It seems like you're safer in the middle of nowhere than the big city. But I guess the only way that makes sense is if my individual chances of being killed or harmed is higher in cities than the country. Doing the math, it seems almost the opposite might be true.

New York City Is a Lot Safer Than Small-Town America

-1x-1.png

Son Dog

That makes sense. I definitely feel safer when I'm driving on some lonely road in the middle of nowhere than in a busy area. So I bet it's natural to let your guard down a bit. Compared to dealing with rush hour in LA, where you need to be very aware of your surroundings every second you're behind the wheel.

Maybe this whole topic is an example of cognitive biases. It seems like you're safer in the middle of nowhere than the big city. But I guess the only way that makes sense is if my individual chances of being killed or harmed is higher in cities than the country. Doing the math, it seems almost the opposite might be true.

New York City Is a Lot Safer Than Small-Town America

-1x-1.png
It's also worth noting that health care quality and access varies WILDLY in non-metro areas. Some rural communities will have decent hospitals/doctors, and other communities are vastly, disgustingly under-served, which serves as a compounding effect WRT health outcomes in non-metro folks.

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
All this speculation tells me y'all ain't from small towns. It's pretty simple, if we pass 4 cars in a day someone in the car comments on the heavy traffic. This means people tend to act like they own the road, sticking to their own lane is for city folk. Now add in the random tourists who stop around the blind mountain curve to gawk at the goats and elk. We get a lot of city folk who move out here and they let 10 year olds drive and play in the road because there isn't any traffic. When there is traffic it is likely one of the locals doing 60 on a dirt road they feel like they own. When we first moved here everyone was driving too fast and drunk, a lot of two cars side by side driving and yelling back and forth. When we commented we were told there is only one cop two towns away and he is on vacation.... Recipe for disaster.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Great episode !!!
Typical Rod Serling story with O'Henry ending. All of Rod's stories had that twist at the end.

My bad. "To Serve Man" is a science fiction short story by American writer Damon Knight. It first appeared in the November 1950 issue of Galaxy Science Fiction...

Based on Damon Knight's 1950 short story of the same title, the episode was written by Rod Serling and directed by Richard L. Bare. It is considered one of the best episodes from the series, particularly for its final twist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom