Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

shawlow

Thanks for the welcome, max. :)

I've been lurking on this thread for about a month and decided to make my first post in relation to stonemonkey's cool setup cuz I was very curious about it (I have a sensitive throat).

I don't own a PD, yet, but I thought I'd tell you guys how I discovered this thread...
I've barely heard of vaporization until accidentally reading of it on the shroomery. There's lots of talk about the volcano there and after someone mentioned the Extreme I decided to go to google to learn more about it. This somehow brought me to rocky's & vapefiend's exchange on cannabis.com, which brought me here.

You guys are quite the characters (how about that partially veiled, haha!). I've enjoyed and learned plenty from your posts & videos.

Hope to be a PD owner soon. :ko:

shawlow,

max

Out to lunch
This somehow brought me to rocky's & vapefiend's exchange on cannabis.com, which brought me here.
That was me. vapefiend is my alias on that forum. Which is where I met Tom (Purple Days there too), which led him here. :popcorn:

max,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
shawlow said:
I don't own a PD, yet, but I thought I'd tell you guys how I discovered this thread...
I've barely heard of vaporization until accidentally reading of it on the shroomery.
ha! so my evangelizing fuck combustio over on the shroomery is working :D
im usually the main (read sole :rolleyes: ) proponent of vapes other than the volcano on the shroomery, i post a link to fuck combustion in every vape thread i come across ;)

welcome to our little forum :tup:

Acolyte of Zinglon,

shawlow

Ahhh max, now I see... (said the blind man. :p)

I feel the need to go back to the aforementioned site and do some more reading.

Thanks for posting the sweet pics, Spiral. It's cool to see your incoming PD and more of Tom's opperation.

Acolyte of Zinglon, when I read through this thread I went to the link you posted to the shroomery where you set that volcano fanboy straight. An entertaining read!

shawlow,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
stonemonkey55 said:
I think this turned out pretty sweet. In this picture I am using the clear tubing but I have since switched to the silicone.

[url]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1559/pdwaterfilterdi1.th.jpg[/url][url]http://img20.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif[/url]
That is awesome, nice WFCM. I'm sure Tom will get a chuckle out of the pic. :D Gotta try that some day. Do you just hit it with the bowl like that?

Another thing you can do to cool the vapor is take long a cigarette style drag with your mouth only and then inhale that. It cools down quite a bit and also really hits your taste buds. Sometimes it's fun to take 5 or so in a row. :D

SpiralArchitect said:
Hey guys, Tom gave me permission to share the pictures he took for me.
:cool: Thanks for sharing, cool to get some insight on the construction process, what a production! Anyone want to guess the woods in the first pic?

:wave: shawlow, I'm packing a fresh bowl to celebrate your arrival.

:cheers: :leaf: :ko:

vtac,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Yes, that water filter is from 7th Floor and honestly, I rarely vape with using some sort of ice or water to cool down that vapor. That is probably why my throat is more sensitive that other's. I guess the best analogy I can use is that now when you go from vaping to smoking, smoking is almost unbearable do to the harshness. Now vaping without water has become my smoke, although definitely not as irritating. I prefer their ice chambers, not because of aesthetics, but I just love taking ice chilled vapes. Unfortunately the skin around my mouth (i get acne around that area when I share glassware) is really sensitive so I don't like bongs anymore, which is why I use the water filter more since your lips go over it. The good thing about the hand held water filter is that I can run bags through it, modify the PD to work with it, and obviously, helps cool down the monster SSV hits.

stonemonkey55,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
From Tom's email, in reference to that pic;

Their bodies are Ti Tree (a) and Rose She-Oak and Ti Tree (b) then an East Indian Rosewood for comparison. Rosewood is beautiful but has a bit of odor and is less suited to a vape.
A shame, because the Rosewood is pretty cool looking I think.

SpiralArchitect,

Purple-Days

That particular piece of rosewood has a stronger smell than the one Pammy uses which after running in has almost no smell at all. The variability is what makes it less suitable. It is a very pretty and has pleasant smell, but. . .

BTW Max is right on about the dense woods like Purple Heart or Ebony. Too dense and they don't provide enough insulation. I have a box full if beautiful bodies that are too dense and won't be sold. Bit of an expensive lesson on the road to making Purple-Days. They work but are at the lower side of the vapor zone. (Pam prefers that. Some do. Go figure...)

Yes! I like the hose and glass set-up. Nice.

Thanks for putting up the pics Spiral, I just thought it would be fun to keep you up to date on your unit's progress. Had fun sending them. Of course none of those show the final finish, I'm keeping him in suspense. As I mentioned to Spiral that light purple leather is untreated and gets much darker and more mellow with the Buzz-Butter finish.

Welcome Shadow, enjoy the forum. Good, honest info and a decent bunch of folks too.

Purple-Days,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Tom,

I too am a fan of the lower temp vaping. I guess in my quest to find the thickest vapor to air ratio, I?ve also found a love for super low heat vapor. I think it tastes a little better and is less ?smokey?

So all the PD users out there, I need your advice. I have been noticing some slight charring on my medicine when I blow it out of the PD. I use the straw method and sometimes I can see some pieces that touch the little steel spacer on the PD. I do not know if this is causing the charring or if I should pack the stems a little looser/tighter/less filled? Does black charring mean some combustion took place? Obviously I use vaporizers so that I am not inhaling any smoke, does charring mean that smoke instead of vapor is being released? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Tom, one last thing, a couple of friends came by last night, all who have been vaping probably since 2000 or so. They got a chance to vape with the PD and all of them instantly understood the value of a unit such as this. When using the SSV or VRIP, we?ll usually pass it around after ever two hits or so. Obviously the guy with the first hit takes all the flavor, and gradually it diminishes as each person gets a turn. With the PD, everyone gets a fresh hit, everyone has their own stem, it was a great social vape IMO!

stonemonkey55,

max

Out to lunch
Does black charring mean some combustion took place?
No. With combustion you'll have some ash. This vape won't combust. Black remains just means overcooked. I get a dark brown spot occasionally. I don't know if that's due to metal contact with the bud. I do try to rotate the bowl a time or two, and usually get a uniform brown.

What you call the "spacer" is actually the piece that secures the spring loaded heat exchanger and, if I remember correctly, is the stroke of genius that allowed that wonderful exchanger to be used and make this such a great vaporizer. Of course 'stroke of genius' is my term. Tom's too modest-he just calls it something like 'lucky inspiration'. :lol: Nevertheless, it was a 'light bulb moment' that blew a hole through a brick wall to make his design successful. :science:

max,

Purple-Days

A tip I give on loading us that I use my fingertip to tamp the load a little, others have mentioned using a 1/4" dowel as a tamp. Tamping can restrict airflow so you have to find a balance, what works best for you. ;)

That stainless steel crossbar is going to be the hottest part (sitting directly above the heating element) so any weed that is sticking out beyond the vapor tip will contact it and can be 'over-cooked' by direct contact. Not combusted, but possibly over-cooke4. So getting that load level or a bit lower than full is best. No need to hold it part-way, just let it rest in there and get the loading 'right' for you.

So glad to hear that you all liked the "fresh" hits. It's an advantage in our opinion and what drove us back to the A-zap system.

Another big plus with the individual tubes is, no spit swapping in cold and flu season.

Thanks Max, it did turn out alright. :D

Purple-Days,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Yeah, I get super paranoid that I get smoke, just because of the potency of these little suckers. I think I read this somewhere earlier in this thread, but I just used the dull end of a toothpick to pack in the herb so that no loose pieces are showing out from the bottom, and this has solved most of my charring issues. Thanks for the info Max

(whoops looks like Tom beat me to the post)

edit - yes, not swapping spit with those guys while sharing the PD is DEFINITELY A HUGE BONUS!

stonemonkey55,

max

Out to lunch
Another big plus with the individual tubes is, no spit swapping in cold and flu season.
I've got a friend that french kisses everything he smokes or vapes, like one of those dogs that drools on everything. :drool: I give him a tube and make sure it doesn't get mixed up with the others when reloading, then I sterilize it when he leaves. :lol:

max,

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
Purple Days indeed. What's up guys? Couldn't be happier with this vaporizer.

img5461kk4.jpg

KeepCalm,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
Beauty KC! :o Welcome to the FC community! Glad to have another purple cloud vaker added to the mix. :p Nice choice bud...purple hayze for the purple days? :)

I look forward to reading your findings, stories, and insights...

DD

DigitalDavinci,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Wow, that is a lovely picture! I just got a text message from two of my buddies saying that the PD is their new favorite vape. The interesting thing is that they haven?t read any of the posts on this site, and came to that conclusion on their own. Don?t get me wrong, I love the PD but there was a small part of me that felt like I was also influenced by the posts that I have read. To me, that is a 100% unbiased endorsement of this product and a huge compliment considering the variety that they get to choose from when they come over.

Hmm, my image disappeared on page 20, how did you get your image so large? Beautiful!

stonemonkey55,

Purple-Days

Hey KeepCalm,
Pam and I both recognize the unit. Can't quite place it though. Doesn't matter, welcome to the forum.

:o StoneMonkey that is something pretty amazing to hear, thanks for passing it on. :D

I feel even more that way, that I'm way too close to it to be objective. It's what we use everyday. :)

Purple-Days,

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
Thanks fellas. stonemonkey, I used imageshack.us.

I found this place researching the Herborizer a few weeks back, but ended up going with the Purple Days - ultimately couldn't justify the cost of the former. The Purple Days is making my glass collection obsolete, but I'm working on that. I'll post a thread in a bit about my adaptation of the Silver Surfer to my waterpipes.

I'm a medicinal user, and I'm finding that vaporizing is really reducing a lot of the negative side effects I was finding with smoking. Cheers to Tom and Pammy for such a great product. Awesome customer service too.

KeepCalm,

max

Out to lunch
I love the PD but there was a small part of me that felt like I was also influenced by the posts that I have read.
It's Tom's insidious PD virus. :uhoh: Hang around the forum-read the thread-buy the vape. ;)

Welcome KeepCalm! :wave: It's always nice to see another Purple Days user here.

max,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
:wave: KeepCalm, that is an excellent photo. :tup:

Seems like the PD would be a big hit among (licensed ;)) medical mj users. Do you guys bring ever bring it to the dispensary?

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
KeepCalm, that is an awesome picture!!!! It makes me even more anxious about the potential arrival of the PD tomorrow. *crosses fingers* :lol:

SpiralArchitect,
Top Bottom