Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Purple-Days

Awww, you are welcome Ari, and thanks for the kind words...and welcome to the Purple-Days Family and the forum. It's a good place to hang out.

Shed, I'm not sure what the credit card statement says, Purple-Days I suppose. The box is brown paper wrapper and says nothing about Purple-Days on the outside. The box and it's contents only speak about tobacco, no mention of MJ.

Purple-Days,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
well earlier today my power supply stopped working :/ at first i thought it was the unit itsself that was broken, then just now i realized it might be the power supply, i tested it, and its not working anymore

luckily the power supply tom uses is a rather common one, i have a multi effect peddle for my guitar, and the power requirements are the same so i plugged the pd into that power supply and its warming up right now, i assume this power suply is indeed regulated, because the peddle is computerized and would require a consistent power source

i was pretty worried that i might have to go a week without it while i sent it back to tom :uhoh:

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Auralis

That's the wonder of common, easily available cables and parts. I recently bought a phone that uses a mini-USB port to charge and interface with the computer, and nothing else. So when I lost the charger, I could still charge with my computer. And when I lost that cable, I had another one lying around.

I wish more companies would do this. There's no reason for proprietary connectors. +1 to Tom on that one.

Auralis,

CapnVape

Sweet, I just got my PD in the mail :D. I have to work shortly :(, so it won't get broken in until later today. After I've had a bit of experience with the unit I'll post my :2c:.

CapnVape,

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
You are in for a treat man! :ko::ko::ko:

Let her warm up good! I leave mine plugged in all day.

KeepCalm,

High n Dry

got interested in vaping So i joined FC , i got a free glass dome type vaporizer ive been vaping out of this vaporizer it works, but it sucks too burns the herb up, i got it where it just lightly browns the herb now but i can tell im wasting it to. been reading about the PD and i just like it period! im so excited right now waiting for my pd to come in.... cant wait to see the diffrence in vaping with the PD:peace:

High n Dry,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
I agree with KeepCalm, CapnVape (it's impossible to plug her in too early).

Also, I am pleased with my options for my upcoming holiday portability issues.

I have been using my buddy's Vapo battpak with the PD...
With almost constant use, it lasted just over two hours (pre-warmed from the Duracell 300 PP.
It charged pretty quickly, and is approaching its third hour (with much less frequent usage).
I am sure I'll get more testing in, but not sure if any from here on will be from a cold start ;)
Should keep me warm on the slopes too :brow:

I am still looking for something to to convert the battpak discussed previously.:huh:

I am also pleased with the performance of the PD itself.

I was going to wait until I got better acquainted with my PD, but here goes...
First impressions: Already, it seems that the PD is the most efficient vape I have tried (Verdamper, E, VripHG, 'cano, vapol, supervzilla, SS/DBV, Vperfection--most familiar to least)--Others agreed too. A slightly woody taste was quickly overpowered by the flavor of the herbs. Draws were light/tight in comparison to some of the others, but constant and never burnt. Alone the PD is a little hot, but bearable. However, it fits nicely into ground glass joints with little or no modifications (stretching silicone tubing/o-ring over it, etc.). As I already knew, it has the most sturdy build of any vape I've seen (Tom;). First impressions are vague and hazy. I'll try to write more after I have had sufficient time to use my baby. PS: I agree that customer care is above and beyond with P&T managing everything (Thanks!).

Oh yeah, I was also curious about how the 2 dudes who filmed the 'cloudies' prepared/filled their herbs & used the unit. I am not sure if it is a moisture issue or what, but I get many draws (5?) but none are as cloudy (despite lighting) as the vid-clips (especially the one from the 'ring man'). My closest attempt resulted from me filling the tip to the rim and pushing a hole in the center with a (purple) push-pin.

Toke it easy (oh yeah, and toke it PD :cool: )

Ok, ok...ok toke it cheesy :rolleyes:

Progress,

eLiguL

Hey Tom,

First time posting in your thread and just wanted you to know that your PD is next on my list. I was curious if you would be stocking some darker colored wood any time soon? I really liked the multi-coloured version you made for Pam, the darker looking wood was really appealing to me, will you be stocking some similar types of wood any time soon?

Progress said:
Oh yeah, I was also curious about how the 2 dudes who filmed the 'cloudies' prepared/filled their herbs & used the unit. I am not sure if it is a moisture issue or what, but I get many draws (5?) but none are as cloudy (despite lighting) as the vid-clips (especially the one from the 'ring man').
What kind of material are you putting into your PD?

Top shelf?

Middies?

Shwag?

You seem like a fairly intelligent person so I doubt that the thin vaporcloud is due to user error.

eLiguL,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
@ High n Dry, welcome to FC. Conduction vaporizer to a PD... that should be fun. :)

Progress said:
I am not sure if it is a moisture issue or what, but I get many draws (5?) but none are as cloudy (despite lighting) as the vid-clips (especially the one from the 'ring man').
If your lighting is good and you're using it properly, I don't see how it's possible to not see the clouds. Lighting really is everything if vapor visibility is important to you. Try some different spots maybe.

Already, it seems that the PD is the most efficient vape I have tried (Verdamper, E, VripHG, 'cano, vapol, supervzilla, SS/DBV, Vperfection--most familiar to least)--Others agreed too.
It really is criminal. With a cigarette draw technique I can pull 10+ very visible hits from the 0.025g bowl... will make a vid some time.

Have fun learning to play your instrument. :D

Nice news on the battery front too!

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I've been screwing around with technique, too. I like to take vtac's cig drags to get it started, then I ease into a slow draw. Been getting about two good, visible exhales before it goes clear.

Last night I went through about 6 tubes, starting around 7 pm through midnight. I haven't measured or anything, but I think each PD bowl is equivalent to about 1/2 to 2/3 of a Genie bowl. This would make sense, as I get four hits out of every Genie bowl I pack. I usually go through about 3 Genie bowls an evening when starting around 9 pm...so the PD gets me a couple hours more fun time with approximately the same amount of herb.

When I use my Extreme, the minimum I can use is about 3 PD bowls worth to get a good hit...and I'll get two. This is enough to put a thin layer of herb on the screen of the E bowl. To really use the E well, I need about twice that amount. Then I will get rocked and be looking for more about two hours later. A lot of times I will start with a Genie bowl, then hit the E with a good size bowl, then hit the Genie again at the end...effectively using twice the amount of herb as I used last night.

None of this has been measured and is just an educated guess...I will get more scientific later. I really like being able to accurately control my dosage with the little hits. Sometimes my wife will take half a sleeping pill when she is going to bed late. I think the PD is similar in that it allows me to take smaller doses and manage it better.

I was thinking about why it could be more efficient. I'm using the same weed and it looks the same, if not less used, coming out of the PD, so why the same high with less stuff? I guess there is something about using smaller amounts with a shorter air path. Or maybe it's the answer to the question we had earlier about taking smaller hits and holding them longer to absorb more of the vapor (big hits maybe equals wasted vapor). Either way, it is amazing!

I love holding my PD with the warmth it gives off...it's comforting. I also like not having a LED. I always turned my E lighting off, and no LED helps with my stealth issues.

This unit actually works as an incense/potpourri warmer. I still haven't used my oil yet because the incense I put in there on Wednesday is still going strong and my office smells great for a change. The E never truly worked well in this regard for me. The fact I can quickly switch this from incense to my herb and back again makes it super stealthy when using it at home with people around, and it looks like an incense warmer, whereas the E never really looked the part as it is very space age looking.

The bowl is very easy to pack and unpack quickly...much quicker than the E and a little quicker than the Genie. I have been using the straw method. I would rate the taste somewhere in between the Genie and the E. The PD is much easier to drag around the house than the E. Amazingly, when I want to move to a different room, I am not moving much more stuff than when I would use the Genie.

I am going to really enjoy introducing this unit to my sister this holiday. I know she will shit when she sees how little it uses to get her rockin'!

Thanks, Tom and Pammy! The design and inclusion of all the little extras really makes it stand out for me. I can see a difference between using a unit that was designed for the market (even though well thought out), and using your unit which was made for yourself and includes all the things you have found helpful as you've used it over time. I would expect you to include multiple stems, the power adapter and the little brass oil holder. But to include things like the cleaner bottle, the duff bag and the car adapter screams of 'I've lived with this unit and these things were useful to me.' Those three things are all probably a very small part of the cost to produce the unit, but they are perfect for it. It would be a drag to go out and find a bottle the perfect size like this one; the car adapter is something you don't get from most, if any, other manufacturers; and the bag is small and fits in my pocket without taking up space. All great ideas that make a very complete package!

That's enough for now...I'll have more later, I'm sure!

stickstones,

Purple-Days

Wow, :D long days are well rewarded when I get up and read these posts... thanks everyone...

Progress, it sounds like I may have to re-visit the battery/portability issue based on your report. I wonder if I didn't get a full charge...

eLiguL, the cherry starts out light, but cherry gets darker with age. A neat process that takes time.

This picture was taken this morning and shows a fresh (turned a week or two ago) piece of cherry next to my durability unit. The dark one isn't dirty, it's aged.

Too bad about the power cord/plug AofZ, Radio Shack has the raw plug end that you can solder onto whatever is left of the cord,

"pull 10+", hey V, load a fresh one you miser... :lol:

Hey, Sticks. Glad you are enjoying. BTW that cup is solid copper (not brass). You can pick extras up at the hardware, it's an end cap for 1/2" copper plumbing.

Purple-Days,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
sticks said:
I haven't measured or anything, but I think each PD bowl is equivalent to about 1/2 to 2/3 of a Genie bowl. This would make sense, as I get four hits out of every Genie bowl I pack.
Haven't measured it either, but that sounds high. The efficiency is nonsensical. :)

Tom said:
"pull 10+", hey V, load a fresh one you miser... :lol:.
I only go that far to impress people, for the last few I don't inhale. :D

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Wow, that is crazy how much the cherry wood changes! My PD has been lonely these past few days, so hopefully some buddies will arrive to cheer it up. :brow:

Tom,

might you lend any advice towards cleaning the inside heating chamber? I vape a lot of extracts and concentrates out of the PD (from hash, to oils, to kief) and their is a lot of material that has kind of gathered up on the small 'blocker pin' and the sides. It's no big problem, but I like having my stuff clean and not incriminating, if you get what I mean.... I was going to use a Q-Tip to gently wipe it, maybe with a little bit of iso alc, but I figured I might want to ask. ;)

SpiralArchitect,

Pammy-Days

Lovely Assistant
Hey Spiral,

That sounds like a good plan for cleaning it. That's what I do, I just use Gin or Bourbon instead of ISO. I just like the smell/taste better. I would suggest unplugging it and using a Q-tip that's not real wet. You know what I mean.

Pammy-Days,

max

Out to lunch
vtac said:
sticks said:
I haven't measured or anything, but I think each PD bowl is equivalent to about 1/2 to 2/3 of a Genie bowl. This would make sense, as I get four hits out of every Genie bowl I pack.
Haven't measured it either, but that sounds high. The efficiency is nonsensical. :)

Tom said:
"pull 10+", hey V, load a fresh one you miser... :lol:.
I only go that far to impress people, for the last few I don't inhale. :D
I almost always get more than two hits as well. With really fine ground, or a bowl topped with kief, I'm in vtac's territory.

Don't know how much you normally load in the Genie sticks, but I can easily load .1g, which would be about 4 PD bowls.

stickstones said:
I was thinking about why it could be more efficient. I'm using the same weed and it looks the same, if not less used, coming out of the PD, so why the same high with less stuff? I guess there is something about using smaller amounts with a shorter air path. Or maybe it's the answer to the question we had earlier about taking smaller hits and holding them longer to absorb more of the vapor (big hits maybe equals wasted vapor). Either way, it is amazing!
Very little vapor lost to condensation with the PD. And I agree the smaller, more manageable hits help avoid the vapor lost with bigger bowls and bigger hits.

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Cool, thanks Pammy. I don't have any alcohol (only 20), although I wish I did.... :lol: I'll use just a dab of iso. :)

And yeah, I love that Tinkerbell. You know about the new Tinkerbell movie? I got it for my neice for x-mas. She loves fairies and princesses. :p (Me too, to be honest, :lol: ).

SpiralArchitect,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
vtac said:
sticks said:
Which part is the nonsensical part?

max...I tend to pack my Genie bowls a little light...I think it works better. But I can tell I need to do some measuring.

stickstones,

max

Out to lunch
Which part is the nonsensical part?
I'm guessing he means ridiculous/absurd-as in highly efficient.

max...I tend to pack my Genie bowls a little light...I think it works better. But I can tell I need to do some measuring.
Only being picky for the sake of those new to the PD. My SSV bowls are anywhere from .1 to .3g (probably .2 average). That's 4-12 PD bowls. :o Nonsensical efficiency indeed.

max,

CapnVape

Well, Ive had a few days with my PD and I love it :D. This vape awesome, and I had high expectations after reading this thread.

The customer service is crazy good. Tom and Pammy are just amazing. I have no reservations saying it was the best customer service I've ever experienced.

It took me a day or two of experimenting to find the technique that works best for me. The first day I wasn't really using dry enough weed(this vape likes really dry material) so I was getting 4 or 5 small hits. The next day I left some stuff out to dry better, ground it up fine, and I got a massive hit :brow:. When I say massive, I mean SSV size :o. From reading this thread I thought I would get nice hits of this vape, but damn this thing makes huge clouds. Best part, after your massive tasty hit the bowl is cashed. You don't get those 8 more tasteless hits like every whip vape I've used.

Efficiency is crazy with this machine. I don't even know how, but I can use half as much though my PD for the same effect from my SSV. I don't know how this is even possible.

The PD has taken the crown of top vape away from the SSV in my house. I still love my SSV, but if I had to choose, I know which one I'd keep ;).

:peace:

CapnVape,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
CapnVape said:
The PD has taken the crown of top vape away from the SSV in my house. I still love my SSV, but if I had to choose, I know which one I'd keep ;).

Its a common theme. Nice one mate. :tup:

vaporcloud,

High n Dry

going from the glassdome conduction to the PD was a BIG step up for me could not believe the amount used got me baked
big notice was the flavor, wasnt used to the direct draw so my tongue felt tingly first couple uses. the smell also the glass dome everytime i used it smelt like burnt tea now the smell isnt that noticable with the PD, glad after all 43 pages of reading that it did not let me down, all the reviews were on target, well ill leave it as that, Great vape! props to Tom and Pammy!:D

High n Dry,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
CapnVape said:

I bought the PD first and then the SSV, and I have to admit...I sort of wish I didn't buy my SSV. Not that I don't like it, it's a great vape...but the customizable glass is already starting to get the better of my wallet, and I just don't think anything is topping the simple beauty of the PD experience. The SSV is great for big hits, but so is the PD, once you get the draw speed shit under your belt. I am wasting so much herb when I use my SSV these days...the miser in me is keeping the PD well used.

I have also done some tests lately which basically involve setting up either the PD or the SSV like I was about to use them, then using them as I normally would but without anything in the bowl. The point was to determine if there was any ambient taste, which would of course be blending with the taste of the vaporized herb. Results? PD = nothing but air, SSV = Plastic. I am getting interested in all glass set ups (sort of like when I was a smoker...:rolleyes:) and love the looks of something like the VRIP wand or the Herborizer, but the SSV is not my cup of tea these days... If it ever came down to choosing one or the other, I don't think it'd really be much of a choice at all. I am going to be buried with my PD. :p

partially veiled,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
partially veiled said:
I am going to be buried with my PD. :p
That's funny shit, veiled. :lol:

I'm still playing with technique here to get the big clouds...anybody got some tips?

I noticed that the bowl likes to heat up a little...I get better hits if the stem has been sitting in place for a few minutes.

I DEFINITELY pack this thing light using the straw method. I packed a tight bowl the other day and got a lot more than my usual two good hits...but I still like to pack it light.

stickstones,

420Downunder

I've put my name down for a couple of the exotic wood units and placed another for 2 cherry one's today. I'll be keeping the one I like the look of the best and the other 3 are getting given to friends who can't really afford them (I know $150 doesn't sound much to some of us but some of my friends are on disability or age pensions and $150 is more than a weeks pay to them). They sound ideal for when supplies are limited and it's great to be able to support such a great team as Tom & Pammy who have obviously put allot of thought and care into a great product.
For me it'll be used alot when watching TV or waking up in the wee hours with joint pains it'll be ready at the bedside. The herborizer is amazing but it is glass and it gets used at the kitchen table only where the cord is out of reach of my 2 pugs :lol: The PD on the other hand can take a beating so if it gets knocked over or dragged behind a tearaway pug it won't get hurt :brow:

420Downunder,
Top Bottom