Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Durden

I am Jack's title
Hey zik, glad to see you made it on the list, what order number are you if you don't mind? So people have an idea of how long the list has gotten so far ;)

Durden,

Melizzard

Purple-Days said:
As far as I have been able to read, vapor_cloud, aluminum is safe. There was a scare about aluminum cookware and Alzheimers way, way back, but that was just media hype. No worries about aluminum.
Aluminum has some distinct toxicity issues. As one battling cancer, I don't even want to go there. There's no aluminum in the PD, is there?

Melissa

Melizzard,

lwien

Melizzard said:
Purple-Days said:
As far as I have been able to read, vapor_cloud, aluminum is safe. There was a scare about aluminum cookware and Alzheimers way, way back, but that was just media hype. No worries about aluminum.
Aluminum has some distinct toxicity issues. As one battling cancer, I don't even want to go there. There's no aluminum in the PD, is there?

Melissa
I believe that Tom has battled cancer also, Melissa. Mayby "is battling" is more appropriate, eh?

I do believe though, that all the metal that is in the vapor path in the PD is stainless steel.

lwien,

HiC

While we're on the subject, if I somehow managed to drop something not so healthy down my PD hole, is there any way to clean the inside other than turning it over and shaking it out? I'm sure this has been asked before but this thread is so massive and this is not such an easy thing to search. I'm concerned about something possibly getting stuck down in there somewhere.

HiC,

graywulf

I got my PD. It has no power LED though and whistles when taking a hit through all the tubes. Normal?

graywulf,

lwien

graywulf said:
I got my PD. It has no power LED though and whistles when taking a hit through all the tubes. Normal?
Tom dropped the LED on the PD a long time ago. Mine never whistles, but it hums "On Top of Old Smoky" every once in awhile. ;)

lwien,

Purple-Days

Melizzard, that quote was in reference to a question about another vape. I remember the response but that was sooo long ago I don't remember much else, just saying that my understanding of the 'aluminum fear syndrome' was that it was mostly due to media hype, but I can certainly be wrong. I am no metals scientist.

To answer the PD specific question. No Aluminum. We use 304 and 316 stainless steel in our heat exchangers, nothing else. We use a ceramic power resistor that is RoHS compliant (Restriction of Hazardous Substances). All the other parts in the PD including hook-up wire, solder and power jack are also RoHS.

Not being a metals scientist I went as clean as I knew how. Food grade, in the case of the metals and plastic and RoHS in the case of the electronics..

Lwien, I was given a Big Cancer Scare, by two doctors, last year. The second one cut me open, probably with good reason... Mother died of cancer, her brother, her sister, her father too, and my father from complications following brain tumor surgery... Sorta a family thing. So I realy dodged a bullet (this time anyway).

Melizzard, best of luck to you.

LED is no more. Dropped forenhanced durability and stealth.

The whistle is a good air speed indicator. Slow draws are best and a barely audible whistle seems to be the group opinmion on the best speed. The whistle is caused when the air enters the two holes in the top disk and makes a sharp right angle past the first set of radiating fins.

Purple-Days,

Apex

Just received my PD from VapeNow today and tried it out for the first time tonight. This is the first vape I've owned, but I've used my friends' vapes for a while. So far I'm really enjoying it, but I've noticed a couple of things:

It could be what I'm smoking but I'm finding the hits a little less tasty than my friend's vapor bros. Also, I'm finding the hits a little harder to draw in than I expected. I guess it's probably due to the size of the tubes and how densely I packed them. Due to this and the heat of the vapor I find myself inhaling a little extra air through the corners of my mouth as I'm taking the hit.

Nevertheless, I found myself getting deceptively large hits off of it and within no time it had me WAY vaked. :brow: So far I'm loving the unit. It's discreet (what I needed), highly efficient, and the craftsmanship is just excellent. :D

All in all, I'm very glad I picked up the PD. It does the job exceptionally well.:D

Apex,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Don't overpack the bowl, it's quite easy to block the entire stem up even with tiny amount of herb... it won't take long to figure out the best amount.

You will get used to the draw. Adding tubing or a waterpipe greatly reduces the "milkshake through straw" effect if it continues to bother you.

I personally inhale till I hear the whistle, then back off a tiny bit, this produces my ideal results. Strangely enough, I never get a whistle on the 2nd or 3rd hit, EVER... only the 1st.

NOTE: got raided 3 days ago, lost my VG and SSV, police picked up my PD, then put it back down? lolz

Chubba,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Chubba said:
NOTE: got raided 3 days ago, lost my VG and SSV, police picked up my PD, then put it back down? lolz
That sucks, dude...feel for you.

Great silver lining about the PD, though.

stickstones,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
sorry to hear about the raid. At least you are on the internet currently and not locked up. Could always be worse. I'm going to guess you sell out of your home. Be careful. Don't shit where you sleep.

IAmKrazy2,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
That totally sucks - if you don't mind my asking, what state are you in?
PS - I tried Tom's recommended method of drawing material into the PD tube by sucking in like a straw. I'm surprised I waited this long to try it. It's perfect because you want air space between the crumbs - the one thing you do not want to do is pack the tube tightly, plus it's easier to blow ot the duff this way too.

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
the one thing you do not want to do is pack the tube tightly
You can do this as long as you're aware of how it will change the hit. I've used the PD to vape just a few tiny crumbs (micro hit), when I just want to take the edge off.

max,

vapesalot

i am going to wait to post a full review - but my only question so far.....

My material is falling out of my bowl and into the inside of the PD.....i have to tap the PD upside down pretty firmly to get all of the material out. I pack the bowls fairly tightly, and it doesnt fall out until i put it down on the counter for a second or after a couple more hits. Is this normal?

Also - everyone talks about getting 3-4 hits out of a bowl, but i'm getting way more than that. I am only using mid-grade so it doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

Thanks for everyones help in advance.

vapesalot,

max

Out to lunch
My material is falling out of my bowl and into the inside of the PD.....Is this normal?
Pretty much. It depends on the consistency of the herb, how you hold it, hit it, etc. Even if it had a screen, or you made one, there would still be some fine particles getting through. I hold the unit horizontal or up for the first hit. That helps seal the end of the load and makes falling particles less likely. You can even keep it horizontal for the whole bowl if it concerns you that much.

Also - everyone talks about getting 3-4 hits out of a bowl
I wouldn't get into counting hits. There are too many variables, starting with the question-how big is a hit? I can take a much bigger hit than my wife, and I'm sure there are many who regularly take bigger hits than I do. Then you've got herb consistency-really dry herb is going to grind really fine and make for a lot more hits per bowl.

max,

gak hater

i have a question
my pd has formed some cracks on the inside near the heat exchanger
is this normal or something to worry about in the future?? :uhoh:
they go pretty deep,the unit still works fine,i guess if they get worse i could
always use a worm clamp to hold it together :uhoh:
2007_0916pd0017.jpg

2007_0916pd0015.jpg

gak hater,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
max said:
Also - everyone talks about getting 3-4 hits out of a bowl
I wouldn't get into counting hits. There are too many variables, starting with the question-how big is a hit? I can take a much bigger hit than my wife, and I'm sure there are many who regularly take bigger hits than I do. Then you've got herb consistency-really dry herb is going to grind really fine and make for a lot more hits per bowl.
I don't get hit consistency between different bags. I even get different hit counts depending on how the grind was, so I agree that hit count is not something to concern yourself with. Just focus on how much you are using and how much effect you are getting.

stickstones,

gak hater

lwien said:
Curious Gak. Do you leave your PD on 24/7?
nope, i use it mostly when i'm low on nugg,it will come out every
week or so for a days use then it gets tucked away until i run low again.
it has been really humid and rainy here in the past month or so
i wonder if that has something to do with it?
i guess i will shoot tom an email,
i hate buggin the guy knowing how busy he is making these things.

gak hater,

lwien

gak hater said:
lwien said:
Curious Gak. Do you leave your PD on 24/7?
nope, i use it mostly when i'm low on nugg,it will come out every
week or so for a days use then it gets tucked away until i run low again.
it has been really humid and rainy here in the past month or so
i wonder if that has something to do with it?
i guess i will shoot tom an email,
i hate buggin the guy knowing how busy he is making these things.
The reason I am asking is that maybe, a consistent temp of it being left on 24/7 would mean that there is less heat up/cool down going on and that those fluctuations of turning the unit off and on could contribute to expansion/contraction that could cause those cracks.

lwien,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
sorry to hear about the raid. At least you are on the internet currently and not locked up. Could always be worse. I'm going to guess you sell out of your home. Be careful. Don't shit where you sleep.
Nop, I'm clean as a whistle.

Search warrant for my house, with someone elses name I don't know in relation to cooking methamphetamine.

Nothing at all to do with me, never heard of said person or been near speed in my life.

Wrong place, wrong time, shitty system.

i have a question
my pd has formed some cracks on the inside near the heat exchanger
is this normal or something to worry about in the future?? uhoh
they go pretty deep,the unit still works fine,i guess if they get worse i could
Mine formed 2 cracks similar initially, they haven't got any larger/deeper and it doesn't seem to affect the unit in the slightest.

Chubba,

Apex

Chubba said:
Don't overpack the bowl, it's quite easy to block the entire stem up even with tiny amount of herb... it won't take long to figure out the best amount.

You will get used to the draw. Adding tubing or a waterpipe greatly reduces the "milkshake through straw" effect if it continues to bother you.

I personally inhale till I hear the whistle, then back off a tiny bit, this produces my ideal results. Strangely enough, I never get a whistle on the 2nd or 3rd hit, EVER... only the 1st.

Thanks for the tips, Chubba. I actually wasn't getting a huge amount of whistling even when I was pulling strongly. Guess that reinforces the likelihood that I was packing them too tightly haha. I'll give it a couple more outings and see how things go. :)

Apex,
Top Bottom