Puffco Proxy

florduh

Is there a cannabis brand with better marketing than Puffco?

People will bitch and say that's why their products are overpriced. I dunno. I kind of think this sort of advertising is important for normies to see. Especially with all that bullshit floating around in the fake news media about how dabs and high potency cannabis turns users into murderous fiends.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Anyone else get interested in after-market accessories? Really high hopes for liking this device (should be arriving today)

Of course I'll be getting the standard stuff like probably the ball cap to try out (and to have the silicone piece if I decide to try some after-market ones that require it) as well as the water pipe adapter.
Also considering the following items though:
- after-market pipes that are a little thicker that fit in the existing case
- after-market carb caps

Some of the items I've been looking at:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Ok, received my Proxy today, and have had a chance to have 5 bowls on it so far. I really like it after the last hit :)

Wasn't sure after my first couple bowls. Then downsized the rubies (these ones are about 2.75mm diameter on the caliper vs the others around 3.75), and the next couple bowls got much better.

Now the 5th bowl, I hit the 5-click rainbow Easter egg mode, and wow! Really awesome massive hit, and amazingly smooth for a dry portable (really smooth overall, but this was a massive hit!) This one almost choked me out and killed the rosin dab in 1 hit. Perfect! And cleans up real nice no issues at all :)

Very happy so far, so likely will need to order some accessories ... lol. And maybe a spare bowl just in case is in my near future.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Puffco is sending me a replacement for my D.O.A. unit. I don't believe I have to send the old one back and if that's the case I'm going to perform some surgery :science:
Not to mention, hopefully they'll send you a full kit and you'll have some extra parts! Would be pretty awesome even to get a free chamber out of the deal at least

SquirrelMaster

Not to mention, hopefully they'll send you a full kit and you'll have some extra parts! Would be pretty awesome even to get a free chamber out of the deal at least
I think they're only sending the base because the description on the order page says "Base Assembly, (Warranty Replacements), Proxy". Fingers crossed I get at least an extra atty for the inconvenience.

My after market pipe was apparently delivered an hour ago (you can't trust Canada Post tracking) so I'll snap some pics of it later.

JCat

Accessory Maker
What a beauty from @dzglasss_ IG

My replacement Proxy is showing a delivery of Mar. 2-6 and is still waiting to be picked up (bummer). On the plus side, my throat has been sore the past few days and if I did have a working unit I would blasting through rosin while I play Hogwarts Legacy.
Awesome! Very nice!

Reekwind

I think they're only sending the base because the description on the order page says "Base Assembly, (Warranty Replacements), Proxy". Fingers crossed I get at least an extra atty for the inconvenience.

My after market pipe was apparently delivered an hour ago (you can't trust Canada Post tracking) so I'll snap some pics of it later.
Thanks for the updates on how Puffco handles this, really curious to see how it turns out.
Hope you get the replacement fast and some extra bits for your trouble.

Anyone else get interested in after-market accessories? Really high hopes for liking this device (should be arriving today)
Yes, very much, and thanks for the links, I really like the alternative ball caps, also nice to have spare if (read when) I lose or break the stock ball cap.

I really like the Proxycler, it hits! ;)

I'
ProxyclerforPuffcoProxyWB.jpg

SquirrelMaster

My replacement RMA proxy arrived yesterday! The warranty claim was submitted Feb. 15 (through City Vaporizer on my behalf) and approved the next day. The tracking from Puffco's site had given a delivery date of Mar. 6-8 (coming from Cali), and my Canada Post tracking would show me updates on my notifications, but not when I went into the tracking. Long story short, expect weird tracking fellow Canadians.

All that was inside was the base, shrink wrapped inside a little Puffco box. It looks like retail packaging, but I don't remember the bases being available separately.

I charged it up, which is where I'll say, Puffco should include this info in the manual.

Blinking red - dead
Blinking yellow - not quite dead
Blinking green - almost ready for lift-off!
No light - charged
If you were to unplug, and plug back in the unit when charged, the green light will come on and then turn off.

I don't believe there are any other colors when charging, but I did see white at one point turning it back on (battery indicator). I do wish they would have added an auto shutoff feature, because I barely remember to turn it off.

Once charged, I had some Aphgani and Purple Punch rosin(self-pressed) at blue and green heat levels mostly. Then some Notorious ZED, and today a mix mash of hash rosin from my first grow. Killed the battery (not keeping track yet), charged it back up (90 minutes?) and am working through the second charge. At the end if my first charge it "died" while trying to heat to green, but I knocked it back to blue and had a couple more dabs.

After quite a few sessions, I can see where the appeal for this device comes from.

The form factor is perfect with the sherlock design and there are a ridiculous amount of aftermarket options out there. This was a huge selling point for me.

It's easy to use, and easy to clean. I did have an issue where I started inhaling before the "ready" buzz and then had some "chaz" (wtf is with that name?) get baked on, on the side. Chaz must have been the name of a guy who was hanging around the first guys dabbing, and kept roasting his dabs and fucking everything up! But, I digress.
I let it cool, popped out the coil, soaked it in iso for 20 minutes and scrubbed it clean with a q-tip. Good as new. All my other post hit cleanings usually take 1½ dry q-tips and the bowl is sparkling. No other residue gets up high and only the bottom of the ball cap is getting sticky. Maintenance will be a piece of cake.

The flavor seems very good to me but I don’t have the best frame of reference. Definitely better than my B2 with SiC.
Blue has great taste, same with green. The higher temps aren't bad but I sacrifice taste for clouds. I'm fine with blue and green, it's nice to puff away in peace with a sick heady pipe. Reminds me of my younger days...

The only cons I'm seeing are:
-no auto shutoff (minor gripe)
-battery could be better (cost of the form factor and it's not that bad)
-silicone in vapor path (I don't notice it and it's past the chamber and internal glass tube)
-atomizer replacements
-price (shop around for a deal)

In contrast to the ease of use, ease of cleaning, form factor, and customizability, I think the Proxy is a pretty good vape. I will be spending a lot of time with it, and I'll report back on the battery.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
My replacement RMA proxy arrived yesterday! The warranty claim was submitted Feb. 15 (through City Vaporizer on my behalf) and approved the next day. The tracking from Puffco's site had given a delivery date of Mar. 6-8 (coming from Cali), and my Canada Post tracking would show me updates on my notifications, but not when I went into the tracking. Long story short, expect weird tracking fellow Canadians.

All that was inside was the base, shrink wrapped inside a little Puffco box. It looks like retail packaging, but I don't remember the bases being available separately.

I charged it up, which is where I'll say, Puffco should include this info in the manual.

Blinking red - dead
Blinking yellow - not quite dead
Blinking green - almost ready for lift-off!
No light - charged
If you were to unplug, and plug back in the unit when charged, the green light will come on and then turn off.

I don't believe there are any other colors when charging, but I did see white at one point turning it back on (battery indicator). I do wish they would have added an auto shutoff feature, because I barely remember to turn it off.

Once charged, I had some Aphgani and Purple Punch rosin(self-pressed) at blue and green heat levels mostly. Then some Notorious ZED, and today a mix mash of hash rosin from my first grow. Killed the battery (not keeping track yet), charged it back up (90 minutes?) and am working through the second charge. At the end if my first charge it "died" while trying to heat to green, but I knocked it back to blue and had a couple more dabs.

After quite a few sessions, I can see where the appeal for this device comes from.

The form factor is perfect with the sherlock design and there are a ridiculous amount of aftermarket options out there. This was a huge selling point for me.

It's easy to use, and easy to clean. I did have an issue where I started inhaling before the "ready" buzz and then had some "chaz" (wtf is with that name?) get baked on, on the side. Chaz must have been the name of a guy who was hanging around the first guys dabbing, and kept roasting his dabs and fucking everything up! But, I digress.
I let it cool, popped out the coil, soaked it in iso for 20 minutes and scrubbed it clean with a q-tip. Good as new. All my other post hit cleanings usually take 1½ dry q-tips and the bowl is sparkling. No other residue gets up high and only the bottom of the ball cap is getting sticky. Maintenance will be a piece of cake.

The flavor seems very good to me but I don’t have the best frame of reference. Definitely better than my B2 with SiC.
Blue has great taste, same with green. The higher temps aren't bad but I sacrifice taste for clouds. I'm fine with blue and green, it's nice to puff away in peace with a sick heady pipe. Reminds me of my younger days...

The only cons I'm seeing are:
-no auto shutoff (minor gripe)
-battery could be better (cost of the form factor and it's not that bad)
-silicone in vapor path (I don't notice it and it's past the chamber and internal glass tube)
-atomizer replacements
-price (shop around for a deal)

In contrast to the ease of use, ease of cleaning, form factor, and customizability, I think the Proxy is a pretty good vape. I will be spending a lot of time with it, and I'll report back on the battery.
Love, love, love your glass! And nice review!

So it doesn’t turn off? Mine shuts off after about 2 minutes (including heat time).

SquirrelMaster

Love, love, love your glass! And nice review!

So it doesn’t turn off? Mine shuts off after about 2 minutes (including heat time).
Thank you. You need to hold down the button to turn it back on after 2 minutes? I left mine for an hour and only had to give it one click to turn it back on.
Mine doesn't auto shut-off either.
I thought this was the norm going in.

SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: Jill NYC

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Are you guys genuinely preferring the ball caps?

Having used them on Peak/Pro I honestly would expect it might detract from the experience, as the stock cap zings the pearl quite well, and without the Pearl zinging around it leaves a little something to be desired IMHO.

Have to admit I'm mostly on Supercrush mode lately. (White + 5 Clicks)
It vacuums a dab down in one heatup with no real effort. I get more dabs per charge that way for sure. If you milk a sesh over multiple lower temp heatups it definitely eats the battery faster. If I have something new/tasty I'll go in at green or red. On blue I tend to use that to pass around for a group of people - wish you could run the longer duration for the low temp mode like you can do for Supercrush party mode, that would have been a nice little addition.

Is the Proxy actually draining the battery in standby mode? I kinda figured it was as good as “off” but maybe not? I don’t always hold the button down to lock it when I’m done seshing.

Side note, I’m still loving this thing after 3 weeks. It’s been my main device and I’m kinda scared it’s ruining flower for me. :lol:

@invertedisdead I get good results with the ball cap, I think I end up with less of a puddle in the middle of the chamber when done. However, I’m still preferring the stock cap with a pearl because there’s a bit more draw restriction and it feels better to me. The ball cap is very airy IMO.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Is the Proxy actually draining the battery in standby mode? I kinda figured it was as good as “off” but maybe not? I don’t always hold the button down to lock it when I’m done seshing.

The original Peak was a bit notorious for that, but I haven't noticed it with this one. I charge daily anyways though so I probably wouldn't be the best judge of it. :D

Side note, I’m still loving this thing after 3 weeks. It’s been my main device and I’m kinda scared it’s ruining flower for me. :lol:

Noooo, don't leave! You're on my pre-order list :lol:

@invertedisdead I get good results with the ball cap, I think I end up with less of a puddle in the middle of the chamber when done. However, I’m still preferring the stock cap with a pearl because there’s a bit more draw restriction and it feels better to me. The ball cap is very airy IMO.

I could kinda see that, the air impinging down from the ball cap is gonna push oil outwards to the heated sidewalls, whereas the stock vortex cap with a pearl causes some oil to run to the middle of the dish (capillary action)

My swabs come out pretty damn dry on crush mode though!

I got a new accessory for these things that I've been fiddling with, it's actually the hardest thing I've ever tried to design though, but I'm enthusiastic about the potential lol.

SquirrelMaster

I haven't tried mine with the stock cap and a pearl, but I have some 3mm and 4mm rubies I'll have to test with it.
It is definitely airy with my aftermarket ball cap @letter never sent; I haven't tried the Puffco one yet.

I thought it was normal for the center of the chamber to be clean after a hit but what you're saying @invertedisdead makes sense.

There's a bug going through my house right now and the Proxy has been my medicine. It's seeing a lot of use. Speaking of which, it's time for another.

And I'll leave you with this custom by https://www.jdallredpipes.com/

705799_d0a1f4e9c4214f188fdef3f6a0126c85~mv2.jpg

Edit: Tried a 3mm ruby and stock cap. I prefer the ball cap personally. I really like the open airflow. I can see the preference for either. I had a nice glob of super lemon haze with the each, yum.

Last edited:

biohacker

Anyone using without a pearl? Is a puddle inevitable without? Or if one is mindful with the dab size it isn't an issue?

I ended up abandoning ruby pearls with my ruby insert torch dabs because I found they negatively affected the flavour, however I was still able to effectively vape 99% of the dab without.

Puddles are something i've been reading about (as well as thin/weak vape output), but these people must be comparing them to massive high temp drops because i've been more than impressed by the clouds i've seen pumping outta this thing!

It's also super rad that it's been so positively reviewed.... I haven't seen much negativity toward the proxy, and I do know that a lot of people really hate on Puffco so this is incredible and making me really want to pull the trigger!

Reekwind

Are you guys genuinely preferring the ball caps?
For wet dabs, yes. For dry dabs, no :)

Is the Proxy actually draining the battery in standby mode?
I haven't noticed any difference between standby and fully off, at least not on a day to day basis, it might drain over longer time spans, like if left on standby for several days/weeks.

Anyone using without a pearl? Is a puddle inevitable without? Or if one is mindful with the dab size it isn't an issue?
Yes, when on the go I use it without a pearl since it makes a bit less of a mess in the chamber.
But when using it for wet dabs, the ball cap and a pearl makes a notable difference, I prefer a 4mm pearl for the ball cap and a 3mm pearl for the stock cap.
However, I only do low temp dabs and max out on green+boost, so it might be a totally different deal for those who prefer white+5taps mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

SquirrelMaster

While waiting for my replacement I had come across a post (reddit iirc) mentioning a change to the gasket of the Proxy. From what a couple owners mentioned, Puffco will apparently RMA the old 2 lip design if requested because of fitment issues.

The old design comes pops out of my stock and aftermarket pipes much easier than the new design so I appreciate the update.

Reekwind

While waiting for my replacement I had come across a post (reddit iirc) mentioning a change to the gasket of the Proxy. From what a couple owners mentioned, Puffco will apparently RMA the old 2 lip design if requested because of fitment issues.

The old design comes pops out of my stock and aftermarket pipes much easier than the new design so I appreciate the update.

Nice to know :)

My double gasket Proxy pops out of the two aftermarket pieces I got from Vapefiend (UK) and I have to actively hold it in place with one finger while vaping, which is slightly annoying.

Might be a good idea for new buyers to ask the vendor which gasket type they have in stock before ordering, and and save the hassle of the Proxy popping out of aftermarket pieces.

SquirrelMaster

Nice to know :)

My double gasket Proxy pops out of the two aftermarket pieces I got from Vapefiend (UK) and I have to actively hold it in place with one finger while vaping, which is slightly annoying.

Might be a good idea for new buyers to ask the vendor which gasket type they have in stock before ordering, and and save the hassle of the Proxy popping out of aftermarket pieces.
You should reach out to Puffco, they should send you a replacement from the comments I came across.

SquirrelMaster

Has anyone else noticed their chamber making a high pitched noise? Mine was doing it yesterday on blue and then disco mode white (while in use). I think it's done it once in the past as well because I didn't know what the sound was at first and thought it was just my hearing lol. It sounds similar to the PWN sound from the Tinymight.

Regarding clicks, secret mode, etc. this is what I've found and read online.
I must have been blind reading the manual. Triple clicking when the device is idle shows battery levels (manual page 7):
Green - High battery
Orange - Medium battery
Red - Low battery

Double clicking after heat up activates boost mode (manual page 8) which increases temp (not sure how much) and extends time (need to confirm how long). I've double clicked while heating up and it appears to do the same thing.

Triple clicking at any heat level activates disco mode. This is only for looks and is not listed in the manual.

5 clicks on white boosts the temperature to 650°F/343°C and extends time to 45 seconds. This is also not listed in the manual.

I tried out disco mode yesterday evening and was left with some nasty build up on the side of the chamber. An overnight soak and scrub didn't get it clean so it's soaking all day until I can scrub away at it again this evening. I'd like to try baking soda paste but I'm worried about making a mess.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Has anyone else noticed their chamber making a high pitched noise? Mine was doing it yesterday on blue and then disco mode white (while in use). I think it's done it once in the past as well because I didn't know what the sound was at first and thought it was just my hearing lol. It sounds similar to the PWN sound from the Tinymight.

Regarding clicks, secret mode, etc. this is what I've found and read online.
I must have been blind reading the manual. Triple clicking when the device is idle shows battery levels (manual page 7):
Green - High battery
Orange - Medium battery
Red - Low battery

Double clicking after heat up activates boost mode (manual page 8) which increases temp (not sure how much) and extends time (need to confirm how long). I've double clicked while heating up and it appears to do the same thing.

Triple clicking at any heat level activates disco mode. This is only for looks and is not listed in the manual.

5 clicks on white boosts the temperature to 650°F/343°C and extends time to 45 seconds. This is also not listed in the manual.

I tried out disco mode yesterday evening and was left with some nasty build up on the side of the chamber. An overnight soak and scrub didn't get it clean so it's soaking all day until I can scrub away at it again this evening. I'd like to try baking soda paste but I'm worried about making a mess.
Baking soda paste is my go to cleaning solution for this type of thing. I'm yet to have it do anything but make things look brand new (many years with the same bangers and ruby/sapphire inserts and they still look like the day I purchased them)

SquirrelMaster

@JCat Yeah baking soda did it (and some elbow grease). Good as new now. Perfect for the lilac cookies shatter I picked up on the way home.

Oh and I still hear the high pitched noise, coming from the chamber. Very faint but is that normal?
Edit: Pretty sure it is PWM after doing some reading reading, i.e. totally normal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom