Puffco Proxy

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I ended up ordering one. The DTv5 is borderline unusable dry with the short vapor path.

Let us know what you think!!

I find the proxy way more tolerable than any of the LAYG's.

The temperature settings are all somewhat conservative IMHO which also helps.

One of the secrets to cooling vapor is not getting the airstream so hot that you even need a ton of cooling.

florduh

One of the secrets to cooling vapor is not getting the airstream so hot that you even need a ton of cooling.

Yeah I've said it before but not having the stem directly above the heater is very smart. The pipe look of it is not a gimmick. It's a smarter way to make a "wax pen". Plus not having to crane your neck to keep the cup level.

I look forward to comparing it to the v5 and M22. I've had my finger on the trigger for months now. Your good experience finally got me to pull it!

bvie

Hi - totally newb to concentrates - not new to vaping - wanting to kind of get into it to get away from cartridges - is this THE concentrate vape to get? Feeling a little out of my depth but the proxy seems to be the one that's capturing the moment (which may be as much marketing as product). Reviews look good on here and there was a discount at City Vaporizer according to a previous post - I assume they are a reliable vendor (not slagging them just unfamiliar with them etc). Thanks in advance for any help/advice it is much appreciated.

alex91

Hi - totally newb to concentrates - not new to vaping - wanting to kind of get into it to get away from cartridges - is this THE concentrate vape to get? Feeling a little out of my depth but the proxy seems to be the one that's capturing the moment (which may be as much marketing as product). Reviews look good on here and there was a discount at City Vaporizer according to a previous post - I assume they are a reliable vendor (not slagging them just unfamiliar with them etc). Thanks in advance for any help/advice it is much appreciated.

Yes, in my opinion, this is it. I’ve never been a fan of torch dab rigs and was looking for something portable and that would be usable without water. There are pens and devices like Yocan Orbit and although some people are happy with it, I wanted something more akin to a real e-rig, just portable. I almost bought a DTV5, but to honest, it looked so cumbersome and unappealing to me. I wanted something simple, discreet and that wouldn’t need a bunch of parts to set up and, for now, for my needs, the Proxy is the only option in the market right now that tick all the boxes. If it wasn’t for it, I wouldn’t start dabbing.

bvie

Yes, in my opinion, this is it. I’ve never been a fan of torch dab rigs and was looking for something portable and that would be usable without water. There are pens and devices like Yocan Orbit and although some people are happy with it, I wanted something more akin to a real e-rig, just portable. I almost bought a DTV5, but to honest, it looked so cumbersome and unappealing to me. I wanted something simple, discreet and that wouldn’t need a bunch of parts to set up and, for now, for my needs, the Proxy is the only option in the market right now that tick all the boxes. If it wasn’t for it, I wouldn’t start dabbing.
Thanks - very spot on for my situation - appreciate your reply

bvie,
Reactions: alex91

SquirrelMaster

Just a heads up, if you're in Canada it might take a little bit to ship. Mine is supposed to ship from within Canada next week as they only had stock in the US when I placed my order.

SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: dman28

Reekwind

Hi all, new to FC, long time vaper. I've had my Proxy for about a month now and thought I'd chime in :)

I was pretty apprehensive about getting a Proxy, and I was considering the EVOLV Cricket or a mod but those aren't available anywhere in the EU.
So, I ordered a Proxy with travel pack, travel pipe, spare chamber, 14mm water pipe adapter, and a water cycler made for the proxy.

I used to use a Linx Blaze and occasionally a Puffco Peak before I got the Proxy - Now, I almost exclusively use the Proxy :)

I'm yet to try using the Proxy with the 14mm adapter on a larger rig, but the cycler is super nice, so it's definitely on the to-do list.

It's easy to use and operate, and very easy to clean with cotton swabs and iso wipes.

Portability is so and so, the stock pipe is glass and too fragile to put in a pocket, and the case won't fit in any pocket - it's huge!
The travel pipe is flexible silicone and the mouthpiece is rather big, which is not my cup of tea. I'd much rather have had a snug fit carrying case for the stock pipe.
I might try to get quote from a traditional pipe maker to make a nice classic pipe for the Proxy but I fear it'll be more expensive than the Proxy itself.

On the negative side, the price is quite steep and the battery life is not exceptionally good, but not bad either for a device this size.
Removable batteries would have been a sweet feature, and I really don't get why it's not an industry standard for all portable vaporizers...

The travel pack should be included in the core product package, since it contains a silicone sleeve for the stock pipe that makes it stand up properly and not rest the mouthpiece on the surface it's on. It also contains the carb cap, which is a essential when using the proxy in a water pipe.

Stay medicated :)

florduh

Shipping took forever, and I haven't had a ton of time to test it yet. But my initial review of the Proxy is:

It's the most polished wax pen I've ever used. And I've been in the wax pen game for about a decade or so.

For dry dabs... no one is doing it better right now. It takes a bit longer to get to temp than the DTv5 or M22. But the flavor is at least as good, and the vapor is more comfortable.

More testing to do, but so far I'm impressed!

Proxy came in tonight! Quicker than expected given the shipping guidance on Puffco's website. Picked up some 710 labs rosin to test out; the strain is Rainbow Belts. I'm coming into this as someone who's been deep into dry herb vapes for a solid decade, but I've barely touched concentrates. The only other time I've dabbed in my life was in 2013 off a titanium nail, lol. It totally rocked me and was a bad experience all around (set and setting was a factor too), which turned me off concentrates for a long time. The only other experience I've had with them is hitting a friend's cart here and there.

Anyway, I've been eyeing the Proxy since it was announced, mostly because it seemed like a good device for hash newbies, and the ease of use/default dry mode was super appealing to me personally. Finally decided to pull the trigger and it's been an eye opening experience so far. This device is really cool. Dead simple to use. I started with a couple small dabs using the stock cap and a 3mm ruby pearl. One on green, one on red. That seemed to work; the vapor was pretty light, but the flavor was outstanding and the effects hit hard. Later on, I did a bit of a larger dab with the ball cap (no pearl) on red, and that's when I really got it ripping. I was able to get two full heat cycles out of that one. Again, the flavor was outstanding and the effects hit hard. The vapor was not harsh at all with the smaller dabs; when I did the larger dab on red, it started to get a little spicy, but still manageable.

Seriously, the flavor and effects are really impressing me here. The Proxy seems like an awesome device, but what's even more awesome is this hash. :lol: It's definitely a different experience compared to flower. I'm pretty excited to compare and contrast the two as I get to know this vape better in the coming weeks!

Reekwind

Seriously, the flavor and effects are really impressing me here. The Proxy seems like an awesome device, but what's even more awesome is this hash. :lol: It's definitely a different experience compared to flower. I'm pretty excited to compare and contrast the two as I get to know this vape better in the coming weeks!

Nice to hear you like the proxy, and the concentrates passed this time round :)

Did you try it with a water attachment yet?

No flower bits all over the place, no smelling herbs in your pocket giving you away, and the ease of use just makes the concentrate UX sooo much better than flower, not to mention the effectiveness :nod:

Clapped_r6

I just took thr atomizer out and gave everything a good clean (I did not submerge it, just swabbed with a wet iso qtip and a wipe) and did notice a very thin fine buildup along the bottom of the battery (between the atomizer and battery). Afterwards, it most definitely seemed hotter at the same temp setting as prior. I think I was losing some battery umph with the contacts.
Fwiw,

Reekwind

I just took thr atomizer out and gave everything a good clean (I did not submerge it, just swabbed with a wet iso qtip and a wipe) and did notice a very thin fine buildup along the bottom of the battery (between the atomizer and battery). Afterwards, it most definitely seemed hotter at the same temp setting as prior. I think I was losing some battery umph with the contacts.
Fwiw,
I noticed this as well, I think it's a good idea to wipe the bottom of the chamber and the insert slot on the battery with an iso-wipe approximately every battery cycle.

Reekwind,

florduh

I completely agree with @invertedisdead that the ergonomics of the Proxy are one of the best aspects. To check and see if I vaporized the whole dab on a wax pen, this involves taking off a top cap. This is a two handed operation. With the Proxy, everything can be done with one hand.

Originally I longed for Peak Pro style app support. I'd still take it, but the one button, screen-free operation is kind of lovely after years of wax pens and mods.

I guess the biggest "con" I have right now is the fear of dropping the glass when I use it out and about. It seems really delicate.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I completely agree with @invertedisdead that the ergonomics of the Proxy are one of the best aspects. To check and see if I vaporized the whole dab on a wax pen, this involves taking off a top cap. This is a two handed operation. With the Proxy, everything can be done with one hand.

Originally I longed for Peak Pro style app support. I'd still take it, but the one button, screen-free operation is kind of lovely after years of wax pens and mods.

I guess the biggest "con" I have right now is the fear of dropping the glass when I use it out and about. It seems really delicate.

Yeah the glass is definitely.... not thick :D

I'm not that interested in the silicone things though.

Still might try and make a ceramic body for it... quick, someone persuade me :lol:

Yeah I thought the lack of adjustability would get to me too, as I typically like to deep dive; but honestly the only real gripe I have with the stock settings is the session duration seems conservatively short to me. Not sure I'd even change the temps, I like how its set so that nothing burns on.

I've brought it out of the house (in the case) and for what it is I think it's really good at the job.
Obviously I still prefer a rosin pod for any true pocketable situation; but if I'm bringing my bag with me, the Proxy definitely gets thrown in. Like that the case can hold some dabs, swabs, and everything you need for a sesh!

Clapped_r6

Still might try and make a ceramic body for it... quick, someone persuade me :lol:
I'd love something more durable that would still fit in the case. Sign me up.

session duration seems conservatively short to me.

I've been double clicking right at the end of my 2nd hit, if it wasn't a micro size. Maybe even a 2nd double click if it's still pumping it out

SquirrelMaster

I have this heady sherlock en route. Comes with a matching ball cap.

I added the Puffco ball cap and dab knife to my Proxy order before it had shipped so I still haven't had a chance to try the device out. I'm living vicariously through the rest of you still lol.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Removable batteries would have been a sweet feature, and I really don't get why it's not an industry standard for all portable vaporizers...
:)
I really don't get why there are no laws banning gadgets with non-replaceable batteries...

It probably would have made this device impossible I guess, as making it so the batteries are removable would likely require a bigger device which might make the whole thing untenable.

I have had some good sessions with both Peak Pro and Proxy and they are definitely impressive and a long way from Puffco's earlier offerings. The Proxy seems expensive.

Last edited:

florduh

I have this heady sherlock en route. Comes with a matching ball cap.

I'm not a heady glass collector. But I've seen that one bumming around the internet and really like it. Mostly because it looks thicker/sturdier. Obviously a ceramic option would be even sturdier though.

I've brought it out of the house (in the case) and for what it is I think it's really good at the job.
Obviously I still prefer a rosin pod for any true pocketable situation; but if I'm bringing my bag with me, the Proxy definitely gets thrown in. Like that the case can hold some dabs, swabs, and everything you need for a sesh!

I've been spending most of my time working in cities with decent or passable public transport lately, so I tend to have a bag on me. I've been carrying the Proxy with me a lot. There are still situations when I don't feel like loading and dabbing. Then I use a 710 pod. But I've been using the Proxy 2/3 of the time.

Part of the reason I'm using it more is I can mix hash rosin with CBD/CBG isolate for a less intense experience. That's harder to do with carts/pods. I've seen some 1:1 or 1:2 THC:CBD carts, but they don't strike me as the highest quality stuff. Now I can flavor CBD with high quality rosin terps.

The other reason I'll opt for the pods is....I'm still a little uncomfortable using a pipe in public. Though I tend to be in cities with some form of legalization. So I'm trying to have more of a "fuck it" attitude.

literally me in the smoking section outside my San Francisco hotel:

Fn-HQkDXkAI3UR9

bvie

Just a heads up, if you're in Canada it might take a little bit to ship. Mine is supposed to ship from within Canada next week as they only had stock in the US when I placed my order.
Thank you for the heads up on the deal - I ordered it (and got a good deal on a ryot stash thing) - just tried it and really am loving it. Obviously I am at the beginning of the learning curve but it's a clever device and hits great. The glass on the pipe really is surprisingly thin. I also ordered the Proxy Bubbler from MJ Arsenal (heard about them from poking around on here) and found a solid coupon - https://mjarsenal.com/collections/proxy-attachments (no clue if links are allowed/appreciated - not an affiliate link and I am not associated in any way etc). I am also new to aftermarket glass - but seems very well made and works really well. Only hesitation is that the glass is made in China. I am very happy with what I have - and - greatly appreciate the specific advice given as well as the thread/site overall. Made the process for a newbie much easier. Thanks all.

Looking forward to 4/20 sales to stock up on many many useless and un-needed accessories!

Last edited:
Top Bottom