Puffco proxy vs. evolv cricket

SquirrelMaster

What would be a safe maximum sized dab in the proxy? The Cricket isn't for me, because of the bb load size... i'm tired of having oil under the tub all the time.

I'm thinking that the Proxy would be a much better device for me now, as long as I don't have to clean out actual oil in weird places between dabs lol Reclaim is one thing, but I was just wasting too much with the cricket, and don't have the patience to keep reloading as a daily/frequent driver.

I was thinking core2, but for some reason i like the proxy better... I don't want to be taking atties apart to deep clean, just like the lightning pen. I prefer minimal parts. Tossing the proxy atty in iso is perfectly simple, and simply perfect.
I feel like the Proxy can take 2-3 times what I'll load in my Cricket and the cleaning process after said load would be more simple to clean. The Cricket definitely requires more frequent and thorough cleaning. With the Proxy I spin a q-tip around after each session and drop the chamber in ISO to deep clean.

There should be a few deals with 420 approaching so keep your eye peeled.

JCat

Accessory Maker
What would be a safe maximum sized dab in the proxy? The Cricket isn't for me, because of the bb load size... i'm tired of having oil under the tub all the time.

I'm thinking that the Proxy would be a much better device for me now, as long as I don't have to clean out actual oil in weird places between dabs lol Reclaim is one thing, but I was just wasting too much with the cricket, and don't have the patience to keep reloading as a daily/frequent driver.

I was thinking core2, but for some reason i like the proxy better... I don't want to be taking atties apart to deep clean, just like the lightning pen. I prefer minimal parts. Tossing the proxy atty in iso is perfectly simple, and simply perfect.
It can handle a pretty decent sized rice grain. No issues there from my experience, as long as you don't pull crazy hard. Still my preferred cap is the stock oculus one FYI. Cleaning hasn't been difficult in my opinion, and I've done a couple deep cleans on the chamber.

Much different device then the Core 2 though. The core 2 is much closer to an actual rig where the Proxy, I still get nice clouds, but it's from much longer draws more akin to that of a convection flower vape. (Or "puffing" style works well as well with some longer drags in between--really brings flavour out this way)

I also don't find the maintenance on the Core 2 bad. It just stays clean. For rice grain or smaller dabs, if you are a clean freak like me, I doubt you would need to clean your atomizers more than once every few weeks even if using it as a daily driver (ie. ~0.5g or so a day)

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
The Cricket isn't for me, because of the bb load size... i'm tired of having oil under the tub all the time.
Another one bites the dust...
I gave up on the Cricket too. Maybe a future generation. The company and device has a lot of promise.
Nothing beats my Core for easy and comfortable dabbing at home. I don't even have a Core 2 yet. I up-modded my OG Core with a V5, better carb cap and better glass. But the core of my Core keeps going. Day after daily day, for two years now. When it dies someday, I'll pick up the Core 2. I love everything about it: large side heated ceramic bucket is great for any sized dab, easy to swab out, flavor is great for using water filteration, all in one unit, holds a long charge. The thing just delivers.

I have the Core for home and the Terp pen OG for the road.
The lightning pen - nah
The V5 with a mod- nah
the Sai-nah
The Cricket- nah
The Motar -nah
The Qomo - nah
The Quest - nah
The weird plastic thing with the fritted quartz tip -nah
and the rest

I just got done searching on the Proxy every which way. In the end, I just don't think so. I don't think I'm gonna get anything from it that is better than the Core. Def don't like that the heater stays on in session mode. So you're constantly heating your dab throughout the session? With the Core you can heat as long as you want and just release the button.

florduh

Maybe a future generation. The company and device has a lot of promise.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I feel like they could fix 80% of their issues by either making a new cap with adjustable airflow. Or at least a new cap with the airflow tuned way down.

Def don't like that the heater stays on in session mode. So you're constantly heating your dab throughout the session?

I kind've see less button fiddling as a benefit. I usually only load enough to be done in 1-3 pulls anyway. Puffco says the benefit of only heating the sides is, the oil is only being heated when you draw, moving the oil to the sides. I dunno. I think the heat eventually soaks the bottom too.

I'm a dry dab fan so I like the Proxy. It's the most polished "wax pen" I've experienced. It's also nice because I travel a lot and it's good to have something I'm comfortable(ish) using in a hotel smoking area.

btka

No… your posts and praises motivated me to buy a cricket.. my is still on the way to me… and now you writing that you not happy with your cricket and want to buy a proxy…

biohacker

No… your posts and praises motivated me to buy a cricket.. my is still on the way to me… and now you writing that you not happy with your cricket and want to buy a proxy…

Yes, because i'm not a micro doser/dabber. This was my daily driver, and constantly reloading the bb size was just too much for me, which is something that I should have already known right? If this isn't an issue for you (it shouldn't be if you're buying it) then you shouldn't experience the shitshow of oil under the tub like I did.

I'm taking a break for a little while, but regardless of what I settle on/with, you can bet that I will be in line for Cricket v2! The Cricket is still the best concentrate/extract device that i've ever used. I'm happy that I helped motivate you to buy one!

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Honestly.... good idea lol. If a hotel room has a window that opens...no problem. But if it doesn't I hit it outside or in the bathroom. May as well get a good soak in too!

Why not just enjoy in the hotel room? I travel a lot for work and subsequently spend a lot of time in hotels. I’ve vaped and/or dabbed in all of them. I’ve even lived in some hotels months at a time using this practice, and never had a property say anything to me.

ETA: As others have alluded to, I don’t think these two devices are comparable. Yes, they are both concentrate machines and both claim to be “portable” to some extent or another. But their use cases are different. There are many who would be very happy with a Cricket and unhappy with a Proxy; and others that would be very happy with a Proxy and unhappy with a Cricket. Cricket is a micro-dab dream; but if your consumption pattern is such that it would take 4 Cricket BBs to gain effect, it would be an awful choice I’m sure!

florduh

Why not just enjoy in the hotel room? I travel a lot for work and subsequently spend a lot of time in hotels. I’ve vaped and/or dabbed in all of them. I’ve even lived in some hotels months at a time using this practice, and never had a property say anything to me.

You're probably right. I'm just paranoid. I like really stinky hash! As long as I can crack a window though, I let er rip.

Also I'm single and have met some nice flight attendants using my goofy light up hash pipe in hotel smoking sections :lol:

SquirrelMaster

I feel like a major outlier (as I haven't seen this reported anywhere), but does anyone else taste the titanium of the Cricket? I've tried 2 shatters, 4 rosins, 1 hash rosin and 4 live resins with varying temps and load sizes between my Cricket and Proxy. On the larger dabs I taste it less, maybe because the quantity of concentrate overpowers it?
With my live resins, I don't seem to notice the taste as much as my other concentrates. I prefer the Cricket for the live resins I have, though I will say they are not the most flavorful.
For my rosins in the Cricket, if I load it up the taste is better, but then I have to pay the cleaning tax.

I am sensitive to metal in all my dry herb vapes but I've always chosen titanium over stainless steel for the less tainted taste. I have never used titanium as a dabbing surface until now so maybe the direct contact with the material is what's making the difference.

In comparison to the Proxy I find myself reaching for the Proxy more when at home because of the taste and easier cleaning. Not that the Cricket is that bad for cleaning, it's just a little more involved and that adds up with dab after dab. The angles and edges on the Cricket require more attention. Pointed q-tips make cleaning much easier on either device, but more so in the Cricket.

Cricket build quality is still much better. No comparison there. The Cricket is so small I'll forget I have it in my pocket, but I wish the cap was more secure. I've dislodged the cap a few times while in my pocket. Battery life is much better on the Cricket as well.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Haven’t noticed any metal taste on Cricket, all I can taste is terps! I do think my budders and sauces taste better than rosin. And 100% agreed on pointed swabs, between that and the cap off warming cleaning the Cricket tub is easy peasy, just the ancillary areas can be harder to clean.

SquirrelMaster

Haven’t noticed any metal taste on Cricket, all I can taste is terps! I do think my budders and sauces taste better than rosin. And 100% agreed on pointed swabs, between that and the cap off warming cleaning the Cricket tub is easy peasy, just the ancillary areas can be harder to clean.
I haven't tried a budder or sauce yet, but they're on my list on concentrates to try. I had always thought live resins were supposed to be really flavorful but I'm finding the opposite.

Oh yes, cap off heating for cleaning is a must! The titanium dish cools down incredibly fast.

SquirrelMaster,

StoneyBeached

With the blemished units costing $250, I'm still on the fence on this but getting much closer. I almost just want to buy it and see if it's for me, I think I could likely resell if I'm not happy for $200 or so anyway. At least that's what I'm telling myself as I debate on pushing the payment button.

biohacker

Looking for comparisons especially from anyone who has used both. These are both dry hit concentrate devices. Proxy lists at $300 but can be found at deep discount. Cricket is $400 and not sold by major online retailers or my local dispensaries. So no discounts. I’ve got a Proxy. Should I consider the Cricket?

I had two Crickets, now I have a Proxy (and Peak Pro). I will buy another Cricket one day when the price is right.

Both Proxy and Cricket are absolute incredible devices, but very apples and oranges IMO.

SquirrelMaster

I had two Crickets, now I have a Proxy (and Peak Pro). I will buy another Cricket one day when the price is right.

Both Proxy and Cricket are absolute incredible devices, but very apples and oranges IMO.
Yes, very apples and oranges indeed. The Cricket feels like a tank and is suited for microdosing. The Proxy (and Peak) are very simple to use for larger dabs. I prefer the taste of either Puffco though as I get a little something extra from the titanium bucket. T-bucket with sapphire seems the best after a one night comparison. Glass makes a lot of difference so it's not a fair comparison. Such different devices.

biohacker

And so what do you think of it? It's been a month now but nothing but crickets from you! lol

And if it makes you feel any better I bought a Proxy AND another Cricket! Chirp! Chirp!

btka

The cricket never arrived at me 😢… customs told me first that they want a bill, because they think the price is declared to low and then they told me that it is a e-cig and it is not allowed to order from abroad. So they send it back to US. Evolv was very kind and give me my money back. Hmm maybe will try to order in future again and have more luck…

How you like your cricket? Do you prefer proxy or cricket more?

biohacker

The cricket never arrived at me 😢… customs told me first that they want a bill, because they think the price is declared to low and then they told me that it is a e-cig and it is not allowed to order from abroad. So they send it back to US. Evolv was very kind and give me my money back. Hmm maybe will try to order in future again and have more luck…

How you like your cricket? Do you prefer proxy or cricket more?

Oh damn, that was anti-climactic! What country are you in? That's so bizarre that they would say that the value was too low! You could easily prove the actual value with the invoice right? Also even though it is advertised as a portable "dab rig" (which I think is weird, because doesn't rig mean glass/bong?) it's actually technically just a portable stainless steel micro heater. Can't you say you need it to vape cbd or some other essential oil or something? Again, that sucks that you even have to deal with something like this, but then again I hear about PACT act in the USA and just makes me appreciate how I don't have to deal with any of this crap in my country.

I don't have a Cricket right now but bought one again to taste (test?) along side the Proxy. I can say I do love the Proxy (so far/for now! lol) which surprised me because I was expecting to hate it and i've held off since it was released, mainly because of a ridiculous silicone anxiety that i'm now happy to report I am cured of! (VAS on the other hand..)

The Proxy can handle MUCH bigger loads than the Cricket. The Cricket is really a micro dabbers device. You can still sesh, but it will be at the lower temp spectrum, or shorter hits at more moderate temps. The Cricket feels like a much higher maintenance device, and needs iso wipes IMO and that oil under the tub thing really turned me off (albeit admit my bb's weren't tiny, still didn't seem to matter). The Proxy is a dream/ease to maintain (as is the Peak Pro). Still, my main use case scenario for the Cricket will be to replace carts for out on the go, or for a quick hit at home (before I was daily driving it) since I have my Peak Pro and Proxy at home for the globs I enjoy. Proxy can handle a good glob, Cricket cannot, not even close. You can load a fat bb like I did for weeks, but there is a price to pay for it for sure.

Basically most of what has been said by others that own the Proxy and Cricket rings true. I just am not sure about taste, but from memory the Cricket was king there. However, I used the cricket through a dry glass piece, not through water like the proxy most of the time. The Proxy can taste great with the dry pipe, but this is one thing I do want to taste (test) side by side.

Ideally an Extract Cannasseur would want to have both devices in their arsenal, which is my goal. Now I need to get a Lightning Pen to compare to both of these bad boys, as all 3 seem to be the best/hottest portable extract devices on the market at the moment (not including erigs).

I'm having more fun than ever playing with these toys! How silly of me to have thought that VAS was over years ago! lol

btka

Oh damn, that was anti-climactic! What country are you in? That's so bizarre that they would say that the value was too low! You could easily prove the actual value with the invoice right? Also even though it is advertised as a portable "dab rig" (which I think is weird, because doesn't rig mean glass/bong?) it's actually technically just a portable stainless steel micro heater. Can't you say you need it to vape cbd or some other essential oil or something? Again, that sucks that you even have to deal with something like this, but then again I hear about PACT act in the USA and just makes me appreciate how I don't have to deal with any of this crap in my country.

I don't have a Cricket right now but bought one again to taste (test?) along side the Proxy. I can say I do love the Proxy (so far/for now! lol) which surprised me because I was expecting to hate it and i've held off since it was released, mainly because of a ridiculous silicone anxiety that i'm now happy to report I am cured of! (VAS on the other hand..)

The Proxy can handle MUCH bigger loads than the Cricket. The Cricket is really a micro dabbers device. You can still sesh, but it will be at the lower temp spectrum, or shorter hits at more moderate temps. The Cricket feels like a much higher maintenance device, and needs iso wipes IMO and that oil under the tub thing really turned me off (albeit admit my bb's weren't tiny, still didn't seem to matter). The Proxy is a dream/ease to maintain (as is the Peak Pro). Still, my main use case scenario for the Cricket will be to replace carts for out on the go, or for a quick hit at home (before I was daily driving it) since I have my Peak Pro and Proxy at home for the globs I enjoy. Proxy can handle a good glob, Cricket cannot, not even close. You can load a fat bb like I did for weeks, but there is a price to pay for it for sure.

Basically most of what has been said by others that own the Proxy and Cricket rings true. I just am not sure about taste, but from memory the Cricket was king there. However, I used the cricket through a dry glass piece, not through water like the proxy most of the time. The Proxy can taste great with the dry pipe, but this is one thing I do want to taste (test) side by side.

Ideally an Extract Cannasseur would want to have both devices in their arsenal, which is my goal. Now I need to get a Lightning Pen to compare to both of these bad boys, as all 3 seem to be the best/hottest portable extract devices on the market at the moment (not including erigs).

I'm having more fun than ever playing with these toys! How silly of me to have thought that VAS was over years ago! lol
I am not sure what happened at customs… In my opinion they checked evolv homepage and saw 399 dollars and I bought a blamished one for 249 dollars, So they thought it is not correctly declared… and they wanted to send them a bill, which I did… next day I looked at tracking and it said I did not provide papers which I want… I called them and told that I send the bill. And they told me they wanted a paper which states that I am a merchant (because then you can import e-cigs)… I told them it is not an e-cig and in the e-mail which they send me they wanted only a bill to proof if the declared price is right.. they wrote me back and told me sorry, but they already sent it back. I think they thought evolv only makes e-cigs and that it is a e-cig. But In my opinion they mixed something. Although I think the law is also for cbd heating devices, as far as I know this is a new European law. Maybe will try some time later to order again. Evolv was very kind and give me back my money immediately. BTW thanks again evolv for your understanding!

btka

@btka can you get a Proxy over there in the EU?
Yes Proxy is available in the eu… I thought about buying (420) but eu prices was much higher then US and I also did read that there is now a v2 proxy and I was not sure which I will get when I order a 420 deal proxy . And I own a pockety (which I was not able to test (taste ;) ), because lack of concentrates… but proxy is still on my radar, although I am not sure if I need it really, because I have already a pockety…

You also wanted to test a pockety. Did you? And if yes would you recommend the proxy?

Last edited:
Top Bottom