Puffco proxy vs. evolv cricket

Oil420FL

Looking for comparisons especially from anyone who has used both. These are both dry hit concentrate devices. Proxy lists at $300 but can be found at deep discount. Cricket is $400 and not sold by major online retailers or my local dispensaries. So no discounts. I’ve got a Proxy. Should I consider the Cricket?

Oil420FL

I’d suggest a third option: YoCan Kodo Pro for $20 if the local dispensaries sold affordable live rosin cartridges or at least solvent free CDT. But a jar of concentrate of comparable quality saves $40+ so Kodo Pro would not be worth it in the long run.

Oil420FL,
Reactions: biohacker

florduh

I'm interested in the answer to your question as well. The Sneaky Pete review video mentioned that he found the taste on the Cricket to be better than the Proxy.

I love the Proxy. Pretty dummy proof. The Cricket looks to take a little more technique. I do kind of miss the fast, hard hitting pulls from the M22. So I'm interested in anyone who can compare the two devices.

I’d suggest a third option: YoCan Kodo Pro for $20 if the local dispensaries sold affordable live rosin cartridges or at least solvent free CDT. But a jar of concentrate of comparable quality saves $40+ so Kodo Pro would not be worth it in the long run.

Are you only looking for on the go use? Yes, carts are more expensive. But you're paying for ultimate discretion and ease of use. So similar arithmetic to choosing the Cricket/Proxy over a cheaper option (like a banger/torch).

Oil420FL

I'm interested in the answer to your question as well. The Sneaky Pete review video mentioned that he found the taste on the Cricket to be better than the Proxy.

I love the Proxy. Pretty dummy proof. The Cricket looks to take a little more technique. I do kind of miss the fast, hard hitting pulls from the M22. So I'm interested in anyone who can compare the two devices.

Are you only looking for on the go use? Yes, carts are more expensive. But you're paying for ultimate discretion and ease of use. So similar arithmetic to choosing the Cricket/Proxy over a cheaper option (like a banger/torch).
Yes I found the Sneaky Pete review very interesting. He doesn’t sell either one so no incentive. I love my proxy, too. But it’s for sipping. And I have trouble timing when to charge it. Biggest pro over Cricket is the easy switch from dry to water. I bought a proxy bubbler from Sneaky Pete and I’ve got a proxy-fitting banger-style glass.

I’m not just looking for portable use, but don’t want a desktop/banger/torch for concentrates.

I’m wondering whether the Cricket is more efficient. My proxy leaves a ring of product.

florduh

I’m wondering whether the Cricket is more efficient. My proxy leaves a ring of product.

My guess is....yes. There will be less leftovers due to the way the Cricket heats. Though, lots of low temp dabbers believe there should be some reclaim left to q-tip.

Are you running a terp pearl in the Proxy? I'm rocking a sapphire pearl I already had from a cooling stem. Sapphire is light so it spins well with the stock cap. It does help to get more even vaporization.

I've also heard of little glass star looking things that spin at the bottom of the dish. There's a glass blower selling them for the Proxy, but I can't remember their Instagram user name right now.

biohacker

The Sneaky Pete review video mentioned that he found the taste on the Cricket to be better than the Proxy.

There was also a member in the cricket thread that stated that the flavour was way better than the Proxy.

Just curious what else you guys think competes with the Proxy, Cricket, and Lightning..? I'm exclusively on live resin/rosin carts and a kodo pro dry through some glass, and thinking that I should try the lightning, and then perhaps the Cricket. I hated the Peak pro so I doubt that the proxy would be for me.

Last edited:

florduh

There was also a member in the cricket thread that stated that the flavour was way better than the Proxy.

It wouldn't shock me. I think the reason rosin carts/pods taste so good is: 1) short vapor path so there's less space to lose terps and 2) carts have a small heating element that gets to temp fast... so you're inhaling less radiant heat. The bug vape has both those things going for it too.

Just curious what else you guys think competes with the Proxy, Cricket, and Lightning..? I'm exclusively on live resin/rosin carts and a kodo pro dry through some glass, and thinking that I should try the lightning, and then perhaps the Cricket. I hated the Peak pro so I doubt that the proxy would be for me.

Honestly....no. Not that I can think of and I try to stay up to date with these things. Right now I'm happy enough with the Proxy and a 710 Labs pod for even more portability. I might pick up a Lightning Pen at some point. Interested in getting it to TC on a small mod.

I'd pick up a Cricket if it gets a decent sale that brings it closer to $300. It is nice to see more of these dry dab devices coming out. Hopefully we'll see more in the future.

SquirrelMaster

Yeah that was @Herbie Hancock. I suspect that has something to do with the Proxy bowl material. I've never dabbed off titanium but I always assumed (from my dry herb vapes) that metal would not taste as good. My dabbing experience is limited to some "supposed" quartz and SiC.

I have a Proxy incoming and I'll most likely order a JCVAPPockety this evening with their 20% off sale (the PCKTY15 code stacks for another 15% off). I'm grabbing a ruby, titanium and quartz inserts for comparison purposes if I do.

The Cricket really intrigues me. I like DNA boards from my use with a Lost Vape Paranormal and RBT Splinter Z, and they have a great reputation. The cap issue is a little concerning and the fact they they removed your comment is just bad.

At $400USD it's too expensive for my budget. You're paying for the stealth factor and American labor but my Proxy and aftermarket American blown heady pipe cost that much. Who am I kidding though, I have VAS and if it goes on sale for 25% off I'll probably bite.

Evolv should get rid of the carbon fiber finish. I am not a fan how it looks in the pictures.

Oil420FL

I assume you're meaning the Lightning Pen that's a collaboration between Divine Tribe and SZ Crossing. My DT V5 is sitting on the shelf, but the side heating lightning is interesting. I almost bought a lightning cup. Interesting review by Vapor Ninja:

I never tried a Peak OG or Pro, so I have no reference point for comparing with the proxy.

Oil420FL

My guess is....yes. There will be less leftovers due to the way the Cricket heats. Though, lots of low temp dabbers believe there should be some reclaim left to q-tip.

Are you running a terp pearl in the Proxy? I'm rocking a sapphire pearl I already had from a cooling stem. Sapphire is light so it spins well with the stock cap. It does help to get more even vaporization.

I've also heard of little glass star looking things that spin at the bottom of the dish. There's a glass blower selling them for the Proxy, but I can't remember their Instagram user name right now.
Yes there's the "have to waste it to taste it" POV, but that doesn't mean I can't look for a more efficient way to dab.

I'm running one 3mm terp pearl in my proxy. I ordered some 1mm after a YouTube review claimed that smaller is better, but haven't tried them yet. I'm using a Bradley Miller Clear Spinner Ball Cap [fits the stock tether]. I can see just enough to tell when it's clouding up with the carb blocked and clearing when I feather it open. Spins the Terp Pearl a little when I'm sipping and spins a lot when I'm drawing harder to finish the dab.

Spinning glass star sounds like a great concept since the "3D" atomizer doesn't directly heat the bottom.

Oil420FL

Yeah that was @Herbie Hancock. I suspect that has something to do with the Proxy bowl material. I've never dabbed off titanium but I always assumed (from my dry herb vapes) that metal would not taste as good. My dabbing experience is limited to some "supposed" quartz and SiC.

I have a Proxy incoming and I'll most likely order a JCVAPPockety this evening with their 20% off sale (the PCKTY15 code stacks for another 15% off). I'm grabbing a ruby, titanium and quartz inserts for comparison purposes if I do.

The Cricket really intrigues me. I like DNA boards from my use with a Lost Vape Paranormal and RBT Splinter Z, and they have a great reputation. The cap issue is a little concerning and the fact they they removed your comment is just bad.

At $400USD it's too expensive for my budget. You're paying for the stealth factor and American labor but my Proxy and aftermarket American blown heady pipe cost that much. Who am I kidding though, I have VAS and if it goes on sale for 25% off I'll probably bite.

Evolv should get rid of the carbon fiber finish. I am not a fan how it looks in the pictures.
Seems like some people are more sensitive to tasting metal than others. So I'm hoping to hear about the Cricket from someone who's sensitive.

Hope you like the Pockety better than me. Mine went directly on the shelf.

It worries me a little that Evolv got out of the retail business & then introduce the Cricket that no other major vendor is selling. I've got only about $250 invested in my Proxy with upgraded ball cap, bubbler, and glass. I'd spend $300 on the Cricket.

SquirrelMaster

The Cricket really intrigues me. I like DNA boards from my use with a Lost Vape Paranormal and RBT Splinter Z, and they have a great reputation. The cap issue is a little concerning
Seems like some people are more sensitive to tasting metal than others. So I'm hoping to hear about the Cricket from someone who's sensitive.

Hope you like the Pockety better than me. Mine went directly on the shelf.

It worries me a little that Evolv got out of the retail business & then introduce the Cricket that no other major vendor is selling. I've got only about $250 invested in my Proxy with upgraded ball cap, bubbler, and glass. I'd spend $300 on the Cricket.
What did you not like about the Pockety?

darbarikanada

Yes there's the "have to waste it to taste it" POV, but that doesn't mean I can't look for a more efficient way to dab.
I've been following the lightning pen, proxy and cricket threads; they all seem to have strong points. I've been using a mighty for ages to vape wax. if I put in ~.07g or less, I end up with almost zero residue. the mighty clearly isn't for people who want to finish the load in 2 hits (it takes me ~12 hits), but for a 'sipper', it's a great wax device.

Oil420FL

What did you not like about the Pockety?
Temp control used too wide a margin for me. Flashbacks to my Sai atomizer that seemed to vary around +/- 20 degrees from the set temp. So when the Pockety vendor replied that's expected, I shelved it. I'm sure it would be OK for someone motivated to persist in the learning curve. I've got other options, so I shelved it.

Oil420FL

I've been following the lightning pen, proxy and cricket threads; they all seem to have strong points. I've been using a mighty for ages to vape wax. if I put in ~.07g or less, I end up with almost zero residue. the mighty clearly isn't for people who want to finish the load in 2 hits (it takes me ~12 hits), but for a 'sipper', it's a great wax device.
Mighty is still my default dry herb vape [my TM2 sits on the shelf]. But my Doc convinced me to try 2 hit concentrates after I developed a cough from 18-24 hits or so per day of dry herb. And a good concentrate vape seems easier to find than a heavy hitter that would clear my dry herb bowl in 2 hits withOUT my risking burning myself when topping off in the middle of the night.

JCat

Accessory Maker
I quite like my Proxy, but it’s not a heavy hitter like a banger. It’s extremely pleasant to just puff on and finish a dab in 3-4 hits.

Just got a Core 2.0 as well and I’m quite impressed. Kills a dab in a couple big hits, haven’t tried the hottest setting yet, and seems quite efficient and cleans up beautifully.

I may have some interest in the cricket as well at some point, but maybe not. If I need that portable there is always a pen, and really, how portable is it if you need to fill it and wipe it clean after you use it?

Oil420FL

I quite like my Proxy, but it’s not a heavy hitter like a banger. It’s extremely pleasant to just puff on and finish a dab in 3-4 hits.

Just got a Core 2.0 as well and I’m quite impressed. Kills a dab in a couple big hits, haven’t tried the hottest setting yet, and seems quite efficient and cleans up beautifully.

I may have some interest in the cricket as well at some point, but maybe not. If I need that portable there is always a pen, and really, how portable is it if you need to fill it and wipe it clean after you use it?
I like but didn’t love my DT5 so I never considered the Core. And yes my Proxy takes 3-4 hits to clear. That’s why I’m wondering about the Cricket

Oil420FL,

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

I know this thread was supposed to compare the proxy and the cricket, but even the op started mentioning other rigs, including those using water. As many know, I have been preaching the Core as an exceptional device for some time. My daily drivers are the Core for concentrates and a TM2 for flower.

I have been searching for a dry-use concentrate vape that produces cool comfortable vapor. The lightning pen works great but that vapor path is so damn short, I really need to couple it with a 14mm glass attachment to make the vapor comfortable. Straight from the mouthpiece is way too harsh for me.

Proxy has been intriguing, but it was too pricey when it came out and those replacement heaters are like $60 a pop. When a heater cup on the DTV5 kicks they are only a few bucks to swap out. It just hasn't thrilled me enough.

The Cricket is an exciting prospect, but it will need to drop $100 before I'll be able to bite. I have never been a torch and banger blaster type of vaper guy. I prefer to take as many hits as I need off a half rice grain dab or smaller. They say the Cricket is designed for folks like me, and I do love the terp flavor experience you can get from dry vaping if cool enough. I don't see how that little mouthpiece cools so well, but some veteran betas here say it does, so I'll have faith. Would be nice to have a swapable battery so you don't have to wait for it to charge and not have to send it in for repair when the battery goes to doggie heaven.

SquirrelMaster

Temp control used too wide a margin for me. Flashbacks to my Sai atomizer that seemed to vary around +/- 20 degrees from the set temp. So when the Pockety vendor replied that's expected, I shelved it. I'm sure it would be OK for someone motivated to persist in the learning curve. I've got other options, so I shelved it.
Hmmm, I would expect it to be at a set temp if I set it to a particular temp; I don't know if I like that. I was just using my B2 for a quick dab and I had it at 330°C/626°F. This is a touch high for me but my garage is cold AF right now. It drops a bit when I inhale but the recovery is quick. Now you have me thinking.
Mighty is still my default dry herb vape [my TM2 sits on the shelf]. But my Doc convinced me to try 2 hit concentrates after I developed a cough from 18-24 hits or so per day of dry herb. And a good concentrate vape seems easier to find than a heavy hitter that would clear my dry herb bowl in 2 hits withOUT my risking burning myself when topping off in the middle of the night.
I'm the total opposite with my dry herb vapes, purely for taste as I prefer convection vapor. The Mighty works well and does it with ease, I'll give it that.

I did reach out to Evolv and asked if they would provide a coupon code for FC.

@BabyFacedFinster
The mouthpiece is interesting for sure. Instead of moving a ball cap around or spinning a pearl, they went for a design that does everything internally without any moving parts. I don't know how it cools the vapor as people are saying but I'm intrigued.

florduh

I did reach out to Evolv and asked if they would provide a coupon code for FC.

There's a $50 off coupon code on this FC member's review site:

gotbadvas

I wonder if Evolv or someone else will make this setup that you could screw onto your own DNA mod? Seems possible and might have similar battery life compared to a coil which I would love. Maybe if they ever made a new TRVP they could make a ti dish like this.

biohacker

Not only that, but he said the flavour was "excellent" and "10/10" and better than any of his other concentrate devices.

I'm sold on the Cricket, and getting a lightning pen too since it's so cheap. I'll then maybe consider the proxy, but I like that the cricket and lightning pen don't need a pearl, ball cap, or silicone in its vape path. There is also no glass to break right outta the gate.

biohacker,
Reactions: Oil420FL

florduh

Not only that, but he said the flavour was "excellent" and "10/10" and better than any of his other concentrate devices.

I'm sold on the Cricket, and getting a lightning pen too since it's so cheap. I'll then maybe consider the proxy, but I like that the cricket and lightning pen don't need a pearl, ball cap, or silicone in its vape path. There is also no glass to break right outta the gate.

Nice! Looking forward to the review. I'm still holding off for a bit I think. Still in the honeymoon period with the Proxy. But I'm sure I'll pick one up sooner rather than later. Very happy to see these portable dry dabbers taking off too.

And yeah, the durability of the Cricket is a big reason I'm still interested in it. The Proxy is small but you basically need to use the case. It seems very delicate. Also the silicone thing. I don't notice it affecting the taste. But obviously no silicone would be better.

Top Bottom