Puffco proxy vs. evolv cricket

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Just got a Proxy+Wizard+SBL Stack. It’s a very cool device! And only reinforces that these devices have different applications, both have roles to fill in my lineup, plus my RiO. The Proxy strikes me as the wax pen perfected, the Cricket as more of a micro-rig, and the RiO for perfect cold starts. If I could only afford one of them, I would buy the Proxy, it’s the most versatile of the 3.

ETA: If someone could combine the performance of the Cricket with the fit and finish of the Proxy, we might find something really special.

biohacker

2 months into my Proxy life and I don't miss the Cricket whatsoever....and I had 3 of them! lol

2 months has to be a record for me keeping a device, so there's that! lol

I'm absolutely convinced that there is voodoo in the Proxy glass pipe! Smoothest experience i've ever had. And without water!??

florduh

2 months into my Proxy life and I don't miss the Cricket whatsoever....and I had 3 of them! lol

2 months has to be a record for me keeping a device, so there's that! lol

I'm absolutely convinced that there is voodoo in the Proxy glass pipe! Smoothest experience i've ever had. And without water!??

Every once in a while I wonder if I should give a Cricket a whirl. Mostly, because it's more pocketable looking than the Proxy. But the soonest I'd jump in is if they release a v2.

Even then, I'm guessing Puffco will release a v2 Proxy with app control before then and I'll convince myself I need that more.

Timps27

Wow, a $400 glorified wax pen...?:rofl:I don't think so... while it is sexy looking, nothing screams non-durable, over-engineered eye candy more than the Cricket, imo.

I think I'll be looking for a good 7/10 deal for a Proxy or Pockety...

I wouldn’t go that far; I’ve yet to have any dab device that can match the Cricket on flavor. It’s overpriced and needs some refinement, but the nuts and bolts of what it does, it does better than any others.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I wouldn’t go that far; I’ve yet to have any dab device that can match the Cricket on flavor. It’s overpriced and needs some refinement, but the nuts and bolts of what it does, it does better than any others.
When you say "any dab device" I assume you mean specifically a "stealthy/pocketable dab device", surely not ALL dab devices? And see, with "taste" being so highly subjective, perhaps the most highly subjective opinion of all, it's not something I would rely on as one of it's biggest selling points... if you know what I mean? I mean no offense to you or anyone, in fact, I wish I could afford to take a chance on being an early adopter of a device like the Cricket, but I can't atm. It's just my opinion comparing these three devices looking from the outside. I'm ok with the potency and taste of a high quality rosin or resin cart when portability is required... we all have very specific needs and tastes for whatever our reasons are and I can honestly say I am glad you enjoy your device. :tup::peace:

Edit: actually I should say four devices, cuz the Lightning Pen is also in contention (barely).

Last edited:

Timps27

No, I mean of any dab device I’ve used. Pens, coils, nails, bangers. I haven’t had a chance to hit a slurper yet, but the thing is all of those have to go through a glass piece. The terp smack from the Cricket is unmatched; the Proxy is nowhere close.

That said, I concur Cricket is likely the worst value proposition of the options. As-is, it is a luxury item in a niche of a niche of a niche, and it’s use case limited (mini dabs only).

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
No, I mean of any dab device I’ve used. Pens, coils, nails, bangers. I haven’t had a chance to hit a slurper yet, but the thing is all of those have to go through a glass piece. The terp smack from the Cricket is unmatched; the Proxy is nowhere close.

That said, I concur Cricket is likely the worst value proposition of the options. As-is, it is a luxury item in a niche of a niche of a niche, and it’s use case limited (mini dabs only).
I concur sir. Cricket for minidab straight flavor unmatched! But my pro I can stick a fuckin gobular in there and go to town for a bit!

Custom Flower Hardware,
  • Haha
Reactions: LesPlenty

SquirrelMaster

I wish the Cricket tasted better but imo the titanium throws the taste off a little. Certain concentrates and strains are better than others. Thankfully I'm in the minority. It's extremely portable (with a trusty elastic for the cap) and way tastier than any cart I've tried, so it's my go-to if I'm on the move.

@Bologna it's extremely very durable. It feels like a premium device in hand with the nice weight it carries. It caters to a niche market with it's limited capacity but it is solid.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Was thinking of the Grasshopper, wow. Thanks for checking me on that

Yeah, Grasshopper is a whole different can of WORMS.

I’ve found Evolv to have great customer support. Long ago when I was “collecting” ECig mods, I bought a Chinese, inexpensive battery mod that was legitimately buying and using the first DNA75 chipset. I had an issue with it, and though Evolv had no responsibility to anything with another companies product/issues, Evolv took it, and fixed it for free, others noted the same. How many companies do that?

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: Grass Yes

Kebo1923

Yeah, Grasshopper is a whole different can of WORMS.

I’ve found Evolv to have great customer support. Long ago when I was “collecting” ECig mods, I bought a Chinese, inexpensive battery mod that was legitimately buying and using the first DNA75 chipset. I had an issue with it, and though Evolv had no responsibility to anything with another companies product/issues, Evolv took it, and fixed it for free, others noted the same. How many companies do that?
None I have interacted with. Glad you caught me before too many people got the wrong idea about a great company.

Kebo1923,

Skr1bble

Hi y’all. I just signed up for FC to research the cricket and some other devices. Kinda bummed to be reading some of these later posts about the cricket, as I was about to pull the trigger this week sometime. I’m still really leaning towards the cricket over the proxy. I bought a lightning pen last month and I really don’t mind the constant loading.

I usually load it twice and clear it every hour or two throughout the day. It still can get pretty toasty. The fast heat up/cool down times of the cricket is what attracted me to it in the first place. All I care about is being compact, incredibly efficient and really good at conserving my stash. Is there any other device I should be considering?

Skr1bble,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Skr1bble

Just to update. I found it under 300 for a new one on sale. I pulled the trigger 😂 tax was steep but it was like 325 all said and done.

Now if only I knew of a leather worker who could make me a cool slip case for it 😍

Skr1bble,

Timps27

Just to update. I found it under 300 for a new one on sale. I pulled the trigger 😂 tax was steep but it was like 325 all said and done.

Now if only I knew of a leather worker who could make me a cool slip case for it 😍

If you use pocket knives at all, I like Civivi brand on Amazon. Inexpensive little folders that come in many blade/housing color combos, I like to match my daily carry to my outfit.

Anyhow, the upshot is they come in a soft fur lined 180° zip pouch. Why one would ever use that for a pocket folder with a clip who knows, but it makes for a fantastic little Cricket carrier. A couple of swabs and a couple alcohol wipes and you’re good to go!

Timps27,
Reactions: cosimo
Top Bottom