Pax - All Models

hinglemccringleberry

Yes, the OG pusher works with the Mini, but you need to take out the screw for it to close properly. Very useful to have it.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t come with an experience mode/smart path/etc. (which I also thought before I bought it).
It is just one temp - probably around 375F based on my own assumptions based on what the herb looks like after a session.
But, as I mentioned before, add the pusher and it brings up the temp significantly.
Do you know roughly how much herb the mini holds with the Pusher installed? I'm guessing 0.12g?

Weird, I thought the Mini is indeed temp-stepping automatically...I thought that was one of the big features of this latest generation of Pax vapes... that both the Plus and the Mini do the temp stepping for you, but the Plus has 4 versions of it and the Mini just has one version...

hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: vapviking

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Do you know roughly how much herb the mini holds with the Pusher installed? I'm guessing 0.12g?

Weird, I thought the Mini is indeed temp-stepping automatically...I thought that was one of the big features of this latest generation of Pax vapes... that both the Plus and the Mini do the temp stepping for you, but the Plus has 4 versions of it and the Mini just has one version...
I was able to use anywhere between 0.075g and 0.15g with the pusher.

As far as experience mode, I have used/enjoyed them with the Pax 3 and also the smart paths with Davinci, and the Mini doesn’t behave the same.

Not that I completely trust what Pax says on their site (so many conflicting points) but this is one thing they posted:
8-E281-E6-E-64-DB-424-A-9-FEF-95848-BEE2-C19.jpg

hinglemccringleberry

I stand corrected. Though it's weird they don't post the temperature...

Speaking of conflicting, I found this on POTV's review of the Mini:

"PRO TIP: For thicker vapor, take longer and slower drags. This will tell the PAX Mini to turn up the heat to keep up with your draw. Once it turns the heat up, it seems to stay there."

Last edited:

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I stand corrected. Though it's weird they don't post the temperature...

Speaking of conflicting, I found this on POTV's review of the Mini:

"PRO TIP: For thicker vapor, take longer and slower drags. This will tell the PAX Mini to turn up the heat to keep up with your draw. Once it turns the heat up, it seems to stay there."
I see your conflicting info, and I raise you this tidbit from the Pax support page:

216-C7-F1-F-EE1-B-4-F4-C-96-DB-584-AAA1-C0-F6-C.jpg

BTW- that is same advice they give for all of their Paxes.
I disagree with this technique, wholeheartedly!

As with any conduction vape, packing the oven so there aren’t air pockets in the herb load will provide the best experience. Heat transfers from the oven through the load by conduction and air pockets cool the load. My Pax3 with a half pack lid is perfectly loaded with 0.15-0.2gm. When the lid is put on it compresses the load. Yes the draw is tight, but that’s how extraction works best. Whether sipping for 3-5 seconds, or taking slow lung draws for 8-10 seconds, I get great clouds that are mild to my lungs. Granted, the good flavor only lasts for the first couple of draws, but that’s how it is with all conduction vapes. A half-pack load provides me with 2 sessions and the spent load is always dark brown.

Convection vapes require a loose load so that hot air from the heat element under the basket can pass through the load to do extraction. Flavor is much better and lasts longer, but I find greater throat irritation. And more draws are required for complete extraction. I typically do five 10-second hits for 2 sessions, and there is still a little green after the 2nd sesh but the taste is gone. And that’s with a 0.10gm load. I honestly get just as elevated using 0.1g in my CFV as I do using 0.15 in my Pax3. But I grow my own in good quantity and “waste” isn’t an issue for me.

I rotate my Pax3 with my Boundless CFV and like them both. The battery life with Pax is much superior to the CFV.

Ponikos

I have been using Dynavap mainly. Now i got back to my Pax3 and don't like it that much.

I feel like my Dynavap got me higher with a smaller amount, also the draw on the Pax is not to my liking.

Are there any accessoires for the Pax that you would recommend to get a better experience?

Thanks

Ponikos,

Baboose1948

I have been using Dynavap mainly. Now i got back to my Pax3 and don't like it that much.

I feel like my Dynavap got me higher with a smaller amount, also the draw on the Pax is not to my liking.

Are there any accessoires for the Pax that you would recommend to get a better experience?

Thanks

There are some remedies you could try. There are budkups which add more airflow but doesn't solve the issue of using less herb. You could also search for a 3rd screen and vented lid.

I personally don't like any of those additions and prefer the pax in its natural form. But I do agree, the dynavap is a much more efficient and effective vape.

Baboose1948,
Reactions: Ponikos

hinglemccringleberry

Anytime someone expresses disappointment with the Pax 2/3, I always wonder "but are they using the Newvape/Cannabishardware.com 3d pusher with 3d screen"? since that little gem boosts the efficiency and performance by a giant margin and turns it into a whole new vape.
It really seems like every single person who hates the Pax is not using it, and every single person who loves the Pax IS using it....

Last edited:

Pukka

It really seems like every single person who hates the Pax is not using it, and every single person who loves the Pax IS using it....
Not trying to rain on your parade, but I neither love/like nor hate/dislike any of my Pax's and don't use any of New Vape's accessories (although I do own and have used them in the past). Although they (Pax 1, 2 & 3) aren't among my favorites/in rotation, they (or at least Pax 3) do have their time and place. For me it's when it's concert time.

No disrespect to New Vape or users of their products. Within reason (or the tip of my nose, whichever comes first) each to their own. I find Pax's work best in stock configuration for me (med/fine grind left out for a bit to dry, fill bowl lightly packed and use the half pack lid to cram it in).

Ponikos

Anytime someone expresses disappointment with the Pax 2/3, I always wonder "but are they using the Newvape/Cannabishardware.com 3d pusher with 3d screen"? since that little gem boosts the efficiency and performance by a giant margin and turns it into a whole new vape.
Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I can't find any EU vendor for this screens.

There are also the official PAX 3d screens, that apparently fit the PAX 3. Anyone can comment on them? How do they compare?

Last edited:
Ponikos,
Reactions: Jill NYC

maremaresing

Cannabishardware.com 3d pusher with 3d screen

Is it really this good? I mean I'm quite happy with my pax 2 with the half pack lid, so maybe I don't need it. Not sure if its $50 better than stock. Seems fiddly. Moreover, is it better than the knockoffs that are 1/5 the price?

maremaresing,

Madtater

Is it really this good? I mean I'm quite happy with my pax 2 with the half pack lid, so maybe I don't need it. Not sure if its $50 better than stock. Seems fiddly. Moreover, is it better than the knockoffs that are 1/5 the price?
I had draw issues with the pax3. I got the vented lid and 3d screens for it from CH, and they worked well. It improved the draw quite a bit, and the 3d screens helped with consistency. Still, i ended up selling it to a buddy’s father because i felt like it was still a bit of a tight draw. I ended up going in another direction for a device.

My buddy’s dad LOVES loves the pax3 and uses it exclusively. I didnt think about this before, but he was a joint guy…nice that i converted him to vape. I gave him the complete setup i had with all the extra shit i bought for it including that smell proof case i found on amazon that holds a stash in the lid…..he REALLY likes the stash case. He pregrinds and uses it for the ski slopes. He said the entire setup is way better than trying to roll joints on the slopes and keeping half smokes ones tidy….but i digress.

So yes, the CH vented lid and screens improve the draw substantially, but i feel that this was something that should have been included with the device from the start rather than the half/full pack oven lids and stock thin screens….it just wasnt enough for me. To each their own though.

hinglemccringleberry

Alot of people are happy with the half pack lid and that's great, but it's not for everyone. What I've heard, and I could be wrong, is that the Cannabishardware pusher is the only one that is adjustable down to a true small-load size, Jill_NYC said it lets you go down to 0.05 when fully extended. And the Amazon pusher works great too, but isn't adjustable (or isn't as adjustable, or something). I need Jill_NYC to chime in on that.

As for the half pack lid, I personally see 2 small issues with it: 1) it still forces you to use around 0.15 of herb, which is still too much for me for a session. and 2) you won't get as much conduction performance out of it like you do with a true metal sandwich like the pusher gives you. If you're trying to use 0.1 per load in the most efficient manner possible, the half pack lid isn't gonna cut it.

And you don't have to get the $50 bundle. The pusher by itself is $15 and that's all you really need. Then if you want a bit more airflow, spend another $15 on the standalone 3d screen to replace the stock Pax screen. I believe Jerry from POTV said that the vented oven lid isn't necessary and it's trying to make the Pax something that it isn't. Which makes sense. You'll never get this device to have a wide open draw, and even if you could, it would cut down on performance because too much airflow will overpower the heater. I've seen some redditors say that they prefer the half pack lid over the vented lid.

Last edited:

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I can't find any EU vendor for this screens.

There are also the official PAX 3d screens, that apparently fit the PAX 3. Anyone can comment on them? How do they compare?
I like the new screens more for two minor reasons:
- They lay flat in oven
- I don’t get the “nails on the chalkboard” feeling i get when emptying oven with the original ones. (something with the metal on the original screen with a toothpick or brush makes me cringe)

Other than that, I haven’t actually noticed a difference in air flow.
They do seem to get discolored quicker and they are tough to clean well b/c they are so small.
Unfortunately, they have been out of stock on the new 3D screens since I bought the Mini.
I emailed them about it and got a very vague “they will be back in stock soon”.
When I finally acquire a few more 3D screens, I will test b/w old and new screens to see if there is any difference in airflow.

As far as using the pusher - I also think it is a crucial part of the Pax experience (I never liked the vented lid b/c it has a much shorter range to pack down herb)
I am pretty sure this one will work the same as the New Vape one (in the pic I am referring to the metal piece with screw in it, which is included

Jill NYC,
Reactions: Ponikos

Ponikos

I got a knock off of the screen and the pusher from amazon.

I use the two screens with the half pack lid and really like it. I can use less bud , the draw is better and it gets more evenly cooked.

Thanks for the suggestion

Ponikos,

shane1

I have a few dollars credit at a vape shop that I would like to use. They pretty much only sell Pax for weed vapes. I can get the Pax 3 full kit for $150, Pax mini for $135 or the Pax plus for $200. Any suggestions for a specific model over another? Thanks.

shane1,
Where are all my PAX Plus people at? I use the highest setting, (DYNAVAP Spoiled) I never see green lights. When it's heating they turn orangish red and it vibrates. It never goes green. And every video I have watch tells you to wait for it to go green. Does your PAX Plus go green on highest setting when its ready? m still trying to like this thing but it's not going well. I have tried BudKups, I even cut one down in an attempt to make a half pack Kup but the lid won't fit inside the oven so that won't work. I just bought a pusher and filed it down so it will fit inside the Kup as a lid so I can use them half pack with the BUDKup and the pusher. It will have it so some metal is in contact on the top of the load for convection all the way around the load. We shall see how that works later. I was just watching some more how too videos to see what I am doing wrong and every one of them tells you to wait for the lights to go green but I'm not seeing green.

VerticallyChallenged,

hinglemccringleberry

I was just watching some more how too videos to see what I am doing wrong and every one of them tells you to wait for the lights to go green but I'm not seeing green.
Sounds like a warranty or return claim. It should go green when it's ready, no matter which temp setting you're using. I would definitely tell Ploom about it and go from there. Or just exchange it with the vendor if you're still within the return period.

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: Hoodwink
Where are all my PAX Plus people at? I use the highest setting, (DYNAVAP Spoiled) I never see green lights. When it's heating they turn orangish red and it vibrates. It never goes green. And every video I have watch tells you to wait for it to go green. Does your PAX Plus go green on highest setting when its ready? m still trying to like this thing but it's not going well. I have tried BudKups, I even cut one down in an attempt to make a half pack Kup but the lid won't fit inside the oven so that won't work. I just bought a pusher and filed it down so it will fit inside the Kup as a lid so I can use them half pack with the BUDKup and the pusher. It will have it so some metal is in contact on the top of the load for convection all the way around the load. We shall see how that works later. I was just watching some more how too videos to see what I am doing wrong and every one of them tells you to wait for the lights to go green but I'm not seeing green.
Found the answer on PAX site all the videos were wrong I am seeing the proper colors. I guess temp is not my issue so still trying to figure out the problems here

"
November 4 2022 5:16pm

Basic LED Function​

When PAX Plus is heating, the LED petals will pulse purple. Once it's ready to vape, the petals flicker in the same color as the mode that's been set. "
Sounds like a warranty or return claim. It should go green when it's ready, no matter which temp setting you're using. I would definitely tell Ploom about it and go from there. Or just exchange it with the vendor if you're still within the return period.
I found the answer see my other reply but thanks for the information.

VerticallyChallenged,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Found the answer on PAX site all the videos were wrong I am seeing the proper colors. I guess temp is not my issue so still trying to figure out the problems here

"
November 4 2022 5:16pm

Basic LED Function​

When PAX Plus is heating, the LED petals will pulse purple. Once it's ready to vape, the petals flicker in the same color as the mode that's been set. "

I found the answer see my other reply but thanks for the information.
Maybe back to basics? Medium-to-fine grind, full chamber, packed tight. Sipping, not ripping, at least at first.
I also saw somewhere on the Pax site a suggestion that very dry herb will not produce as much vapor as something with some degree of moisture content... I did a double take on that, but hey, this is their vape!

I haven't used a Pax since giving away the Pax2 years ago, but they always did make some cloudage for me!

vapviking,
Maybe back to basics? Medium-to-fine grind, full chamber, packed tight. Sipping, not ripping, at least at first.
I also saw somewhere on the Pax site a suggestion that very dry herb will not produce as much vapor as something with some degree of moisture content... I did a double take on that, but hey, this is their vape!

I haven't used a Pax since giving away the Pax2 years ago, but they always did make some cloudage for me!
Thanks for the info
I used the new pusher I bought on top of a half pack inside a BudKap and the results are a bit better. It took some fine tuning to get the pusher inside the Kup but it fits nice now and seems like it will work. Just a ton of pieces to mess with. It’s not as good as my MadHeater half pack but i think it may work well enough for I want it for. I’m still playing with combinations.

VerticallyChallenged,

hinglemccringleberry

Question that I can't believe no one has ever asked before...

Has anyone tried using the half pack oven lid AND the pusher at the same time in order to smash 0.05 of ground herb in there and 1-hit it?

Or would that choke the airflow too much?

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,
Question that I can't believe no one has ever asked before...

Has anyone tried using the half pack oven lid AND the pusher at the same time in order to smash 0.05 of ground herb in there and 1-hit it?

Or would that choke the airflow too much?
I used a pusher inside a BudKup w lid and the regular pax lid. I figured it’s conduction right…… so the more conductive metal in contact with the flower the better right…. I just let it heat a bit past when it thinks it’s ready to make sure it’s all heat soaked. Seems to hit pretty good but I am MadHeater spoiled so it might be hitting like a freight train compared to stock lol

VerticallyChallenged,

hinglemccringleberry

Well, THIS isn't remedial or anything...lol
Only 8 years late to this party but I have a P2 now. I feel like I have a somewhat decent grasp of what good vapor is from my limited experience... Volcano, Sticky Brick, Milaana, Dynavap to name a few. So how does this vape stack up?

For 2 weeks I ran half packs with the OG oven lid with Newvape pusher + 3D screen because I read that it transforms the Pax. Nope. Draw resistance was awful, which gave the impression that the vapor was too airy and too harsh at the same time. It's hard to describe. This is with the Newvape 3D screen. I'd stir halfway through each load and would usually save sesh #2 for later which gets annoying.

My gut told me to try the half pack lid WITH screw-less pusher, and ditch the 3d screen. So I got a half pack lid and gave it a shot.

I used a 3/8” pipe screen over the oven hole to catch any scoobies. Loaded like 0.075 of medium ground herb, started out on heat #3. Wow, a really nice session happened for the first time. It was actually extracting decently and draw resistance was MUCH improved and I didn’t have to stir.

So unbelievably, it turns out the Newvape 3d screen was fucking everything up. AND the Pax 3d screen. Both SUCK. It's odd that lots of people seem to love this vape with that screen, saying it upgrades the airflow. IME, any kind of solid panel screen destroys the experience, it doesn't matter how beveled a surface it has. They would need to cut some huge notches into them to help airflow, but they'd be so big that scoobie crumbs would be a problem.

TL;DR - I can totally see why alot of first timers were put off and returned to smoking. Most mainstream users aren't savvy enough to be like, "oh! If I use a pipe screen instead of this panel-screen that Pax gave me, and only pack 3/4 of 0.1 grams, which occupies the perfect amount of space to run the half pack lid and pusher w/ no screw, this makes it feel way better to draw on! A 3rd party company sells the pusher, it dramatically improves the hits!"

No...it's more like "Ugh, fuck this thing", and then 9 more years of smoking goes by.

Last edited:
Top Bottom