Pax - All Models

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I am surprised at the experiences here that say the only way a Pax works well is with some kind of chamber accessory, or no screen or only a half pack, or a weird shaped screen (?) or a budkup (sorry I don't even know what that is!).

I owned 2 pax1's and 2 pax2's over several years. I did pass them by a few years ago, going the full convection route almost exclusively BUT I must say, the Pax, for me, was extremely consistent, always producing at least some amount of satisfying clouds. I hated cleaning them. I did try the little adjustable oven piece (titaniumm with the little screw) and that was good for less-than-full loads. I think snugly-packed is the way to load, regardless of size.

Maybe something has changed in Pax2 design over the years?
I remember that I used mine a lot, enough to crack the Simon game and unlock Funky Town!

Edit; I would not bother using Pax for more than one session per load. It bakes nearly everything once it is heated up. Yes, you can re-heat and still vape, but it is like, second hand, with very inferior flavor. Far better to go with smaller loads and refill for each session.

I am surprised at the experiences here that say the only way a Pax works well is with some kind of chamber accessory, or no screen or only a half pack, or a weird shaped screen (?) or a budkup (sorry I don't even know what that is!).

I owned 2 pax1's and 2 pax2's over several years. I did pass them by a few years ago, going the full convection route almost exclusively BUT I must say, the Pax, for me, was extremely consistent, always producing at least some amount of satisfying clouds. I hated cleaning them. I did try the little adjustable oven piece (titaniumm with the little screw) and that was good for less-than-full loads. I think snugly-packed is the way to load, regardless of size.

I remember that I used mine a lot, enough to crack the Simon game and unlock Funky Town!

Edit; I would not bother using Pax for more than one session per load. It bakes nearly everything once it is heated up. Yes, you can re-heat and still vape, but it is like, second hand, with very inferior flavor. Far better to go with smaller loads and refill for each session.
Speaking for myself I think I am spoiled from my Dynavap w a MadHeater stem. Hits hard right off, uses next to no flower just isn’t as portable as I want for on the go. So I grabbed a pax plus. I’m still perfecting it but it’s getting there for me just have to find the sweet spot. Yes I agree only put in what you plan on using in one session because reheating the load compares to (smokers will relate) relighting an ashtray butt for a few hits so yea reheats suck. Here are the BudKups. I’m not sold on them yet still learning

VerticallyChallenged,

hinglemccringleberry

I am surprised at the experiences here that say the only way a Pax works well is with some kind of chamber accessory, or no screen or only a half pack, or a weird shaped screen (?)

I dunno. I did extensive testing with all of the available oven accessories, and the only way the device doesn't suck terribly is by ditching those 3D screens altogether and using a steel mesh screen instead. It's literally the difference between me wanting to sell it ASAP, and wanting to keep it forever.

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,

maremaresing

So weird to hear all these issues. Maybe people not packing the right amount. There is an exact amount as marked on the pax that yields perfect results. It's a conduction device so more or less packed in there makes for worse results.

Seems like you are reducing it really far with mods to use a small amount. Glad it's working for you.

I do think the pax with the half pack lid and stock flat screen is the defacto standard for a bulletproof pax experience, and that's how they should come from the factory.

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
My PAX 3 has been working great since arrival, but I decided to file the the oven plate notches a little bigger and now the airflow is noticeably better. I have done this to all my previous OG screens, but they were not scalloped at the edges. I wasn't sure if it would be necessary with the newer versions but it seems like an improvement. A quick and easy fix.

VapeKnight,

hinglemccringleberry

I'll take a photo tonight
Wouldn't that allow alot of crumbs to pass through?
I just stick a circular 3/8" mesh screen over the hole and wedge it in with a toothpick and it re-shapes a bit and lays flat in the oven. And it filters great, but yet the airflow is the equivalent of not having a screen at all.

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,
So weird to hear all these issues. Maybe people not packing the right amount. There is an exact amount as marked on the pax that yields perfect results. It's a conduction device so more or less packed in there makes for worse results.

Seems like you are reducing it really far with mods to use a small amount. Glad it's working for you.

I do think the pax with the half pack lid and stock flat screen is the defacto standard for a bulletproof pax experience, and that's how they should come from the factory.
I totally agree. Since I frequently vape alone in the evening (the wife prefers a glass of wine) I use the half pack lid and the sweet spot load for me is finely ground 0.15-0.18gm. That produces good enough clouds from the first hit. And it’s good for two sessions for me. Granted, the taste has decremented, but it’s ok. If I’m doing a strain with some CBD in it I may do a whole bowl by myself (I grow some Harlequin and Cannatonic along with TrainWreck, SFVOG,) Or if my son is around we can quickly do one bowl together. Other than the half pack lid I can’t find a reason to tweak it with all the various accessories. But generally it doesn’t get used as much as my convection vapes, which are more efficient and flavorful.

hinglemccringleberry

Other than the half pack lid I can’t find a reason to tweak it with all the various accessories.

I am surprised at the experiences here that say the only way a Pax works well is with some kind of chamber accessory, or no screen or only a half pack, or a weird shaped screen (?)

I'm surprised you've never heard of how important those mods are...the extraction capability is garbage with no 3D screen or pusher between the herb and lid. it's very unsatisfying blowing 0.15 of herb that way. Might as well get a Linx Eden.

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: mojofilters

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I'm surprised you've never heard of how important those mods are...the extraction capability is garbage with no 3D screen or pusher between the herb and lid. it's very unsatisfying blowing 0.15 of herb that way. Might as well get a Linx Eden.
I have heard of all of them, owned and used all of them except a half pack lid. Or bud cups, which weren't around back when I had a Pax1 and 2.
As I recall, the 3d screen would fall out everytime I dumped a load and I didn't think it improved the vape experience very much.
I had lots of satisfying experiences with Pax (it was my total combustion fucking device, 2015) As I recall, a firm pack did work the best, whether by pusher or simply the lid.
I didn't like the draw restriction and really didn't like the cleaning routine, so I gave away the Pax2.

vapviking,

Bazinga

Bought a Pax Plus. No vapor at all at 3 or less petals. Too much heat while starting at 4 petals. Sometimes the 4 petals are displayed in red and sometimes green. What am I doing wrong?

All I can say is LOL. I Learned how to pack a conduction vape long ago. If you need all those mods I’m happy it works for you that way.

3dayphunk

Bought a Pax Plus. No vapor at all at 3 or less petals. Too much heat while starting at 4 petals. Sometimes the 4 petals are displayed in red and sometimes green. What am I doing wrong?

Hmm, wish I could tell you what you're doing wrong. You're waiting for it to heat up to temperature and vibrate to note it's ready to pull, right?

I just grind flower and use the half pack lid. I get vape on 1 petal and use that setting to start when I freshly pack. Then after the first couple hits or so, I spend most of the time on 2 petals. I rarely go to 3 but I do sometimes when I'm nearing the end of the pack. I never use 4.

3dayphunk,

Bazinga

Hmm, wish I could tell you what you're doing wrong. You're waiting for it to heat up to temperature and vibrate to note it's ready to pull, right?

I just grind flower and use the half pack lid. I get vape on 1 petal and use that setting to start when I freshly pack. Then after the first couple hits or so, I spend most of the time on 2 petals. I rarely go to 3 but I do sometimes when I'm nearing the end of the pack. I never use 4.
Acquired a 2nd Pax Plus. If this unit were to function as I though it should, I would return the 1st one. Unfortunately, the new one behaves exactly like the 1st one. No vapor with the 1st three petasl. Results only when all 4 petals are activated.
The problem must be me. It's hard to believe I got 2 bad devices. Probably going to return both.

@Bazinga is it possible you just need to grind finer and pack denser? Conduction vapes in general don’t do well with a light or airy pack. The heat transfers evenly through the load if it’s packed tightly. You don’t want air pockets.

archangelz001,

Bazinga

@Bazinga is it possible you just need to grind finer and pack denser? Conduction vapes in general don’t do well with a light or airy pack. The heat transfers evenly through the load if it’s packed tightly. You don’t want air pockets.
Thanks for the suggestions. I do use a fine grind and I use the supplied tool to pack the flower.

Bazinga

Don't be sorry. I still think I'm doing something wrong. BTW do you have any idea why sometimes the 4 petals are green and other times red? Perhaps to let me know the battery level is getting low? I really want to like both of our Paxes.

Bazinga,

Madtater

Don't be sorry. I still think I'm doing something wrong. BTW do you have any idea why sometimes the 4 petals are green and other times red? Perhaps to let me know the battery level is getting low? I really want to like both of our Paxes.
“Turn the PAX 3 on by pressing the button in the center of the mouthpiece, which will start the heating process. The petals on the front will turn purple and flow upward as it heats up, and turn green when it reaches vaping temperature, which should take less than 30 seconds.”

taken from the directions.

The low battery indicator are the petals themselves. Full battery is 4 petals light up white when uou turn it on. Low battery is only one petal lit up white. Least that is the way i remember it. I havent had my pax for 6 months.

If you’re having problems with the pax, i would read the manual and make sure you’re doing everything correctly.

I sold my pax because i didnt like the airflow…..i NEVER had a vapor problem.

Last edited:
Madtater,

Bazinga

Thanks !! Read the manual. Searched the internet, and contacted Pax. It's difficult to believe I got 2 bad units. When the device is on 4 petals (green or red) the vapor is plentiful. Three or less petals - no vapor.

Bazinga,
Top Bottom