Pax - All Models

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Is there a site that gives good side by side comparisons?

There are a lot of vapes like the Pax and many others very different, you can get comparisons here, in the Ask FC section, there have been many already posted and you can ask for your own there more broadly than here where you will just get stuff about the PAX

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I started off my adult reintroduction to cannabis by trying gummy edibles and quickly learned I do not process edibles. I was sure I didn’t want to combust it and was dead set against vaping juice. So that lead me to tinctures and hard candies(sublingually). I was not achieving the relief I needed so I started researching and discovered ( like it was some new thing ) dry flower vaping. That led to my first of many Dynavaps, MAD Heater steams, a Mighty+with dosing caps, and many combination of them all. I find the MAD heater stem w a good tip at half bowl and cap is my go too right now. Occasionally I find myself using my Mighty+ for a stretch here and there but I always end up back w my MAD Heater stem and find it always hits harder and uses less flower than the mighty. The issue is the Mighty+ is a bit big for discrete use especially seeing how against traditionally vaping I have been. ( can’t just pretend it’s a traditional vape). And the Dynavap or MAD Heater w a torch is certainly not discrete to use w the crack pipe type heating it takes. So if I am hanging w friends that don’t partake or know I do, I have to sneak off every few hours to the bathroom w the fan on and sneak a few hits and then pack everything back up and try to hide it and keep it smell free. So I was thinking about an IH. I was holding out for MAD Heaters Sense IH and thought that would help a bit better but that is no longer coming out. And there are so many mixed reviews on the other IHs out there I just can’t justify the money/convenience trade off. It’s bigger than a lighter so harder to hide and the rest of the issues would still remain.

So that is some background, now to the advice.

I am thinking the answer to my needs might be a portable flower vape. Something that’s loaded and ready to go. I could turn it on, palm it and hit it on the go. Smell would be the only concern at that point. So I have been looking at them all and it’s overwhelming at the very least. Opinions are all over and none of them are cheap. I don’t have any issues spending the money but I don’t want to do it more than once. So I am trying to find the best few options for a self contained, easy to load, holds a charge well, small discrete dry flower vape. My research keeps leading me back to a PAX plus. So of the concerns are the charging dongle. Its big and device specific so you have to drag hat along, also the smell. I would want to put it in something for the smell that won't take away the portability of it. And I see there are caps out there for it how well do those work and is there any half bowl caps that can be used with the half pack adapter?

Is there a site that gives good side by side comparisons?

Thanks for taking the time on this long read.
I'll vote for the DaVinci IQC here. Upgrade to the ceramic mouthpiece for best experience. It's my trusty discrete portable and it tastes great. I actually own an IQ2 but I think the IQC is a better value as long as you upgrade the mouthpiece. Shorter and wider than the Pax but really discrete and the flavor is great with a nearly all ceramic vapor path. I have a tiny smell-proof case I carry it in but the oven is recessed inside the the middle of the unit so might hide smells better than the Pax. It has a big 0.5g ceramic bowl and there are stainless steel dosing caps (0.3g) that work really well. Replaceable 18650 battery too. I personally think it's up there with the top conduction vapes which is what you're familiar with.

Convection vapes in small form factors should be considered too and as mentioned, the AskFC forum is a good place to start.

Last edited:
This is brilliant!
yea I am thinking about modifying one to accommodate the
The Simrell Titanium Mighty/Crafty Adapter then you can use a dynvap, MAD Heater, or Simrell as a cooling unit on it if need be.

So if using a full or half bowl, how do you work multiple sessions out of one pack? With my mighty I turn it off right before my last draw, take my hit that helps cool it down, and then open it and pull the cap out to let everything cool so it doesn't keep cooking. Then when the oven is cooled a bit I put the cap back in and its ready for the next session. Taste horrible second round, its like relighting a cigarette, but it does give me a few more productive hits. How do you do multiple sessions from a PAX? Just turn it off and fire it back up when ready for a second session?

maremaresing

I turn it off right before my last draw, take my hit that helps cool it down

Just turn it off and fire it back up when ready for a second session?

These two things are all you need with the half pack, at least. Easy to take a few puffs and put away for next time. If you do the cool down puff it doesn't keep cooking and the flavor is ok for next time.

These two things are all you need with the half pack, at least. Easy to take a few puffs and put away for next time. If you do the cool down puff it doesn't keep cooking and the flavor is ok for next time.
good so if you were going to be out for awhile you could use the tight packed bud cups and just keep turning it off and on as needed and nearly have an on demand unit until the bud cup is spent. Thats what I was hoping for. a good low fuss on the go discrete option to my mighty+, Dynavap and MAD Heater.

VerticallyChallenged,

Cereal4dinner

good so if you were going to be out for awhile you could use the tight packed bud cups and just keep turning it off and on as needed and nearly have an on demand unit until the bud cup is spent. Thats what I was hoping for. a good low fuss on the go discrete option to my mighty+, Dynavap and MAD Heater.
A good stir and repack before putting it away is good too

maremaresing

I never got the budkups to work well in the pax, and they always kept getting stuck in the device needing a tool to remove. Some people like them though. I only use the half pack lid which presses the load against the chamber walls for a better extraction. But if you need tons of capsules with you and to use it that way, I'm not sure I'd recommend the pax with budkups.

thx1138

I apparently have had a very different experience than @maremaresing I started using the Budkups exclusively and I highly recommend them. The flow is far less restricted, a simple tap on the side when the oven lid is off, and the Pax is held upside down, allows the Budkup to fall out easily. I don't have a screen in under the Budkup, as the lid won't shut with a screen in there, and its unnecessary to have the Budkup and screen together. The Budkups have brought new life to my six year old Pax, and I wouldn't be using it anymore if I didn't find Budkups on Amazon. I used to use 3-D screens from new vape, and have bent countless OEM Pax screens over the years, and they never really worked well. I absolutely recommend the Pax with Budkups. I can put a few packed in the top of a smell proof container cap that I also got off of amazon, and I am good to go for a day out and about.

Pax Plus showed up yesterday-I had one session on it w a full bud kup and I wasn’t impressed. The following session I went with old reliable (half bowl in my Mad Heater Gen2) to get where I needed to be. I will work on figuring out the best system for the Pax Plus and try and get it where it needs to be. I’m hoping there is improvement with the next session. It seems maybe im not hitting it right. Im not used to "sipping". It seemed spent after just one tasty hit and 2 heavy hits then nothing. I took a picture of the AVB of both the Full PaxPlus session and a half bowl of the MadHeater Gen2 w the Simrell FMJ and so far they are not even in the same ballpark. It won’t let me post a picture but as far as efficiency the half bowl compared to a full budkup is no comparison. The half bowl uses less than a third as much flower as the budkup. And the half bowl hit twice as hard. So unless the Pax improves w practice, it won’t get much use I’m afraid. Any suggestions form the seasoned Pax users?

VerticallyChallenged,
Reactions: Jill NYC
Ditch the bud cups and use the half pack lid. Take slow light pulls. Try temp stepping.
I will give that a try tonight. I know it's something I am doing because there cant be this big of a difference in what I experienced and what everyone else is experiencing. I haven't given up just yet I know it will take some learning still. Thanks for the tips

VerticallyChallenged,
Reactions: Baboose1948

thx1138

I'd figure out whats best with the Pax Plus before I begin using the Budkups. Its quite possibly not the Budkups, as you mention that you only did one session with the Budkup. I'd try what Baboose1948 suggests, except that I'd hold the Budkups to the side, but not ditch them. Trial and error will bring you to a good place with them after your more familiarized with the new vape, IMHO.
If my Budkups are kickin' in a Pax 2 that is at least 6 years old (just got done with one session about 15 min. ago), then it could possibly be how your packing them, which is to say, Budkups are best when filled completely, then just a light finger press and no more - if your familiar with Arizer solo stems (my go to vape) then its pretty close but a little lighter in the Budkups, as my Arizer stems can take quite a good packing

also - are the Budkups tight in a Pax Plus? is the oven the same size in this new model? a Budkup fits really snugly in Pax 2, and will fall right out when turned over with the lid off - if there is a gap in the oven, then your not going to get a decent performance

no screen w/Budkups either

(also, I can't believe I am still on a Pax 2 - this thing won't give up the ghost, and its been in rotation for 6 years!)

Thanks for the reply
I fully loaded a BudKup and tamped it w the supplied tool. Tighter than I pack a dyna tip or dose cap for my mighty so it was packed, not quit a puck but packed fairly tight. Yes I removed the screen from the Pax, and as far as how tight the budkup fits it falls out once I opened the oven without the need for any tools or prying to get it out so not real tight.
I don’t throw much away. I rather give it to someone than toss it lol so the BudKups aren’t going anywhere but yes I need to give it a try without. The lights on the plus along w proper length of button pushes is still a learning curve so far. So I need to play w that a bit. The instructions say when it turns green you are ready, but that was not what I found. It shows the color of the heat setting when ready (blue, green, orange, or red) is what I was seeing. So I need to make sure that’s correct. The AVB look a little under done so I may not have gotten a good heat on it playing with the buttons. Left is how much the PaxPlus used in a full BudKup and on the right is the half bowl Mad Heater Revolve ABV. The difference in amounts is incredible and the results so far with the Revolve were far better. We shall see how the next session goes. https://www.instagram.com/p/CoXLhwFO0YwpNLL8Wh4P19vXgp873bJtO48HFI0/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
I’m open to any and all suggestions to make this my discrete on the go flower vape.
Thanks again

Last edited:
VerticallyChallenged,
Reactions: thx1138

maremaresing

Ditch the bud cups and use the half pack lid. Take slow light pulls. Try temp stepping.

This is of course the safe answer to get great results from a PAX.

I'm going to try @thx1138 suggestions with the bud cups. Mine don't fall right out and instead get stuck, but I'm curious to see them work. My current results are about like yours, bad flavor, few hits.

I'd figure out whats best with the Pax Plus before I begin using the Budkups. Its quite possibly not the Budkups, as you mention that you only did one session with the Budkup. I'd try what Baboose1948 suggests, except that I'd hold the Budkups to the side, but not ditch them. Trial and error will bring you to a good place with them after your more familiarized with the new vape, IMHO.
If my Budkups are kickin' in a Pax 2 that is at least 6 years old (just got done with one session about 15 min. ago), then it could possibly be how your packing them, which is to say, Budkups are best when filled completely, then just a light finger press and no more - if your familiar with Arizer solo stems (my go to vape) then its pretty close but a little lighter in the Budkups, as my Arizer stems can take quite a good packing

also - are the Budkups tight in a Pax Plus? is the oven the same size in this new model? a Budkup fits really snugly in Pax 2, and will fall right out when turned over with the lid off - if there is a gap in the oven, then your not going to get a decent performance

no screen w/Budkups either

(also, I can't believe I am still on a Pax 2 - this thing won't give up the ghost, and its been in rotation for 6 years!)
Well last night went much better thanks to your suggestions. I think it was a combination of issues. My lack of understanding of the indicator lights. The instructions tell you that once the lights go green it is ready for a draw. Well that is only the case if you are on "Efficiency" setting. So that was throwing me off. I kept looking for the green, hitting it, turning it off then back on hitting it looking for the green that never came lol. This was because I was starting off on either "flavor"or "boost" setting and those are colored yellow and orang/red. Once I got that figured out I put the stock screen back in and packed a half bowl with the half bowl lid. I got a good 2-2.5 sessions out of it and it felt right where it needed to be. The 3rd session, I removed the screen and packed a BudKup half pack with no lid and used the half pack Pax lid and it worked the exact same as the session without the BudKup so no issues there. The next time I want to try a half packed bud kup with its own lid on and the standard Pax cap see if thats any different. If that works well I will be good to go, if that doesn't work im not sure the BudKups will be as convenient as they were intended to be. If I will have to mess with the lids of the BudKups every sessions it just won't be worth it to me. We will see how that goes but the Pax works nearly as well and as efficient as my other devices. So I feel a half bowl on the Pax is about the same amount of flower in 3 half bowls on my revolve. The Pax half bowl is about 2.5-3 sessions for me. A half packed bowl in my Revolve is one session for me so as far as efficiency I feel the Pax Plus is nearly the same as the revolve, at least close enough to not be concerned about the amount of flower im using in it. It seems more efficient than than the Might+ but I did not weigh anything for accuracy. The medication results with the Pax was very similar in strength to my Revolve but not exactly the same. I am sure there is still some tweaking that will fine tune it all. So as of right now my stance is that it is exactly what I was looking for and it will now fill the "On the go, nearly on demand, discrete, small, efficient, dry flower vape." I am not sold to the point of recommending it just yet but I do feel it will get there for sure. Thanks for the tips.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Anyone with experience on the Pax Mini? I'm thinking about it for a friend who is vision-challenged (and has no sense of smell!).
For a first vape for my friend, with no controls to worry about (he will be able to see the light) and not very much concern about tasty terps, does the thing work okay? Will it deliver reliable, noticeable amounts of vapor? Or is it just a weenie kinda vape?

vapviking,
Reactions: Jill NYC

thx1138

So I was about to order a Pax Plus, and I come to find it's now illegal to ship vapes to TX.

Fuck this nonsense.
Even a place like Grass City won't send it to you? They have a discount right now, and you can find another 20% discount coupon on Knoji which will bring it down further. I was thinking that a maybe a company like Grass City, who is a drop shipper on most items, might be able to bypass some other company's red flag on shipping to TX. If not, an out of state friend who can order and then ship it to you could work.

Puffitup has a 15 percent discount right now for Valentine's day - VALENTINE15. FC-1 code is not valid for the Pax at Puffitup.

Last edited:
thx1138,

Madtater

So I was about to order a Pax Plus, and I come to find it's now illegal to ship vapes to TX.

Fuck this nonsense.
Can you send it to a family member’s home out of state and have them ship it to you?

I do this with high cap mags. Send them to my parents house and then hey send them to me. Gets around not being able to buy them in my home state….even though i have them registered in my state and am allowed to have them……some of these laws are fucking stupid.

What about taking a road trip to another state? Maybe can make a weekend out of it.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Fuck this nonsense.
Puffitup.com allows a Texas address to be entered. I didn't go farther in the process than that.
PIU offers some codes, I think FC-1 gets you 15% off.

vapviking,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Arggg. I wrote an entire review, saved the draft to finish later and it disappeared by morning. Ok, starting again on Pax MinI review…

TLDR:
Pax Mini is a great no-frills conduction vaporizer. Other than packing tight, there is no special technique needed. Very easy for beginners and stealth users although cleaning is necessary every few weeks otherwise the airflow gets restricted. Great for 1-3 people sessions.

Pax Mini Observations:
- The battery life lasts around 78-80 min (far less than their claim of 2 hours, but still impressive for any electronic vape). This translated to 10-12 sessions per charge.

- The heat up time averages around 25 seconds.

- After a hit, if you set it down, after 1:30 (min:sec) the lights will turn blue (assume standby mode) and at 3:30 it will shut off.

- Cleaning it is a little tricky because the oven turns off when you are trying to clean - harder to get it sparkling like the Pax 3.

- While it still isn’t good for microdosing, it does great with 0.1g + and you can stuff as much as 0.2g.
It does okay with less than 0.1g but anything less than 0.050g is not worth it.

- I had no issue doing a few sessions with same bowl - the flavor is same as Pax 3 on first session - dense, flavorful.
The good thing about NOT being able to temp step is not having to deal with the awful flavor that comes after second or third session with Pax 3.
The bad thing is the weed is definitely not spent - but adding a pusher without the screw will get the temp high enough to extract most of the herb. It doesn’t extract quite as evenly as it does with Pax 3, but most of the AVB is a deep dark brown with the pusher.

- The size is only 5mm difference, it feels the same in my hand as my Pax 3 (although my Pax 3 has the stupid mirror finish, I am so much happier with the matte finish on the Mini)

- Seems to be sturdy as it flew out of my hands, crashed on my floor (LVP), scattering oven lid and herb everywhere. Couldn’t find any scratches and it still works perfectly.

I do wish it had a boost mode - without one I think the price should be closer to $135.
But $150 and a 2 year warranty is not unreasonable. And using the pusher as a ”boost” is pretty easy and does the trick. I don’t miss temp stepping with it.

I know I had more to say, but want to get this posted already! Long overdue from me!

Last edited:

Reggie Watts

Even a place like Grass City won't send it to you? They have a discount right now, and you can find another 20% discount coupon on Knoji which will bring it down further. I was thinking that a maybe a company like Grass City, who is a drop shipper on most items, might be able to bypass some other company's red flag on shipping to TX. If not, an out of state friend who can order and then ship it to you could work.

Puffitup has a 15 percent discount right now for Valentine's day - VALENTINE15. FC-1 code is not valid for the Pax at Puffitup.

Puffitup.com allows a Texas address to be entered. I didn't go farther in the process than that.
PIU offers some codes, I think FC-1 gets you 15% off.
Thank you! I ended up ordering from Grass City for $190 before tax. So I ended up paying less in the end.

Haha, man I totally forgot about Grass City, but I ordered my first bong from that website 10 years ago.

Puff It Up is an awesome store where I've shopped before too, but they were out of stock on every color except Onyx. I got the Elderberry 😎

hinglemccringleberry

And using the pusher as a ”boost” is pretty easy and does the trick. I don’t miss temp stepping with it.
Ok, so the OG Pax pusher does work with the Mini? I've been wondering about that..

Anyone with experience on the Pax Mini? I'm thinking about it for a friend who is vision-challenged (and has no sense of smell!).
For a first vape for my friend, with no controls to worry about (he will be able to see the light) and not very much concern about tasty terps, does the thing work okay? Will it deliver reliable, noticeable amounts of vapor? Or is it just a weenie kinda vape?
The Mini only has 1 "smart path" (or whatever they call it) instead of four of them like the Plus does. The reviewers stated that the 1 "smart path" the Mini has is basically the same as one of the middle-of-the-road paths on the Pax Plus.

EDIT- They're called "experience modes" on the Pax Plus: From lowest to highest temps there are: Stealth, Efficiency, Flavor, and Boost.
The Pax mini only has 1 "experience mode" and I've heard users say that it's the equivalent of either 'efficiency' or 'flavor'. It's a bit vague.
But the Mini should not perform like a wuss vape - it should perform identically to either the 'efficiency' or the 'flavor' mode on the Pax Plus.

Last edited:

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Ok, so the OG Pax pusher does work with the Mini? I've been wondering about that..

The Mini only has the 1 "smart path" (or whatever they call it) instead of four of them like the Plus does. The reviewers stated that the 1 "smart path" the Mini has is basically the same as one of the middle-of-the-road paths on the Pax Plus.

EDIT- They're called "experience modes" on the Pax Plus: From lowest to highest temps there are: Stealth, Efficiency, Flavor, and Boost.
The Pax mini only has 1 "experience mode" and I've heard users say that it's the equivalent of either 'efficiency' or 'flavor'. It's a bit vague. But the Mini should not perform like a wuss vape - it should perform identically to either the 'efficiency' or the 'flavor' mode, which is what most people will use.
Yes, the OG pusher works with the Mini, but you need to take out the screw for it to close properly. Very useful to have it.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t come with an experience mode/smart path/etc. (which I also thought before I bought it).
It is just one temp - probably around 375F based on my own assumptions based on what the herb looks like after a session.
But, as I mentioned before, add the pusher and it brings up the temp significantly. Based on what the herb looks like after using it, I will assume it goes up to 420F ish.

I do not think it is a wuss vape at all - but before I started using the pusher, I felt like I was leaving a lot of goodies behind.

Top Bottom