OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

GratefulDread

Well I finally caved and pre ordered the Aroma-3 after seeing that last video.

If there's any chance that we could get one without branding on the top by giving our order number and specifically requesting it that would be amazing.
I'm super tempted... Would love to never use aluminum grinders again.
Edit: Not to disparage any other grinders; I've just been longing for the right SS one and this appears to be it.

Last edited:

Adobewan

Last edited:

Axel_420

Is there any chance that after a while of use the ball bearing will jam or that it should be changed after a while?
Is it possible to soak it in iso without affecting the ball bearing?
Is the standard colorful one better or the NTN bearing? Will the ball bearing be user replaceable in case and therefore sold separately?
Is it possible to upload some pics about the grinder in the Old Mate Designs' website? Thank you!

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Is there any chance that after a while of use the ball bearing will jam or that it should be changed after a while?
I doubt it.
They are also used in skateboard wheels so spinning a grinder should be easy enough for them i reckon...

Is it possible to soak it in iso without affecting the ball bearing?
Will the ball bearing be user replaceable in case and therefore sold separately?
The ball bearing can be popped out so is replaceable and possible to take out before soaking

Not sure if they will be sold separate tho..

Is the standard colorful one better or the NTN bearing?
This is the NTN Bearing https://www.motion.com/products/sku/02194249

NTN have been making bearings for turbine jet engines and the like for decades (they know their shit)
The NTN bearing has super tight tolerances and is designed to take axial and radial loads but doesn't spin as free as the "Better Bearings" and only coming in the single colour.

The "Better Bearings" are "Lickety Splits" from https://betterbearings.com.au/
Better bearings are an Australian company that offers premium skateboard bearings that come in lots of cool colours (please look at their website for colour clarification).
These bearings are sealed, come in multiple colours and spin really well.

In my opinion you cant go wrong with either bearing. I'd like to continue to offer both.

Is it possible to upload some pics about the grinder in the Old Mate Designs' website?

I think he's still in the process of making/finalising them so might be bit early days.
You can get a look at the parts in the video that was uploaded in this thread. :tup:

GratefulDread

Regarding bearing choices, I personally prefer the non-heat treated look. Is it just the NTN (red) bearing that has plain metal? Or is the black one plain as well? Can't wait to get one of these.

Last edited:
GratefulDread,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Regarding bearing choices, I personally prefer the non-heat treated look. Is it just the NTN (red) bearing with the plain metal? Or is the black one plain as well? Can't wait to get one of these.
I don't think I noticed the difference you mention, but if the colored ones don't have it the black won't have it either as those are all Better Bearings lickety splits.

DRAG-0n

Last edited:

GratefulDread

they all appear to have that heat treated look, you can see it easier on the product page for better bearings. https://betterbearings.us/collections/skateboard-bearings/products/lickety-splits-8pk
Yeah I know the Better Bearings all have it. AFAIK it's just the red NTN bearing option that has the plain metal.

52605595376_33e036af00_z.jpg

Last edited:

DRAG-0n

Or is the black one plain as well?
Gotchu now, the red ntn is the only ntn bearing so the black should also be a better bearing meaning the black one would have the colored heat treated look. Just linked the black better bearing to show it easier. I think ntn only has red as they dont really care about color for industrial use

GratefulDread

All good, thanks! Not worried of course, since they're user replaceable.
I'll probably just go with a heat treated one since they spin better.
Edit: Not actually sure how easy they are to replace.

Last edited:
GratefulDread,

DRAG-0n

This should be the bearing (i think) if you wanted to order a spare ntn, I was looking which to order as well. Cheap but shipping from china so who knows how long it will take
As long as you have access to a bearing puller and a press?
I went NTN for longevity over looks.
Same here, hoping you can just push it out from the other side.

felvapes

Is the spinning feature the method for easy grinding or just something fun to play with?
It helps with the grind ease/speed as the bearing takes a lot of the load and is part of the no metal on metal contact - and makes for a great fidget spinner as well

As long as you have access to a bearing puller and a press?
I went NTN for longevity over looks.
It could be pushed out from underneath without a bearing puller/press
I was under the impression that you wouldn't need a bearing puller or press but If I'm wrong then I'll probably go NTN as well.
You are correct that it shouldn't need a puller afaik and can be pushed out from the bottom using an appropriate sized tool/bolt etc

I believe at some stage Ben is considering making a tool for people to use to change bearings

The bearings should last with no maintenance for approx 5000 pounds of weed according to specs posted on the OMD discord channel

Knewt

I would worry about my wrists wearing out before the bearing does. I have 30 year old bearings smaller than these on router bits that rotate at 30,000 rpm, and these take a much larger load than you will be able to create with your 2 hands and some sticky weed. The bearings seem to be a much over thought option that simply doesn’t need this level of anguish. Pick a color or if you think you have super human strength, go with the NTN.

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
I would worry about my wrists wearing out before the bearing does. I have 30 year old bearings smaller than these on router bits that rotate at 30,000 rpm, and these take a much larger load than you will be able to create with your 2 hands and some sticky weed. The bearings seem to be a much over thought option that simply doesn’t need this level of anguish. Pick a color or if you think you have super human strength, go with the NTN.
👆This. :tup:

Top Bottom