OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

DRAG-0n

I have now had more time to use the grinder and I really do like it a lot. This grinder seems to work better the more bud you throw into it. Just gives a very consistent, slightly finer than medium, grind.

Idk if anyone has had a similar small issue with their grinder. It is getting hung up on the center post too easily. i even tried cleaning the inner part of the bearing and the center post with a q tip to see if it was just some dirt from manufacturing getting caught but it is still happening way too often. It is like the tolerance for it is too small. This causes zero top plate wobble, which is great, but not if it causes issues opening or closing the grinder top. I would say 1 out of 10 times i try to close the top it ends up sitting like it does in the picture. Sometimes it also sticks a bit when opening the grinder as well. There is zero bud or resin on the center post.
Please let me know if these links for the pics work, first time ive had to use imgur.

OMD

Accessory Maker
I have now had more time to use the grinder and I really do like it a lot. This grinder seems to work better the more bud you throw into it. Just gives a very consistent, slightly finer than medium, grind.

Idk if anyone has had a similar small issue with their grinder. It is getting hung up on the center post too easily. i even tried cleaning the inner part of the bearing and the center post with a q tip to see if it was just some dirt from manufacturing getting caught but it is still happening way too often. It is like the tolerance for it is too small. This causes zero top plate wobble, which is great, but not if it causes issues opening or closing the grinder top. I would say 1 out of 10 times i try to close the top it ends up sitting like it does in the picture. Sometimes it also sticks a bit when opening the grinder as well. There is zero bud or resin on the center post.
Please let me know if these links for the pics work, first time ive had to use imgur.

Hmm, This is because the NTN bearing has a slightly tighter tolerance. If this doesn’t improve and “bed in” after a week or so please let me know and I’ll replace it for you.

DRAG-0n

Hmm, This is because the NTN bearing has a slightly tighter tolerance. If this doesn’t improve and “bed in” after a week or so please let me know and I’ll replace it for you.
You are so awesome, I just wanted to bring it up in case you were still making revisions for the final product. If it breaks in a bit I will let you know, but I will probably give it more like a month to really give it a chance

OMD

Accessory Maker
You are so awesome, I just wanted to bring it up in case you were still making revisions for the final product. If it breaks in a bit I will let you know, but I will probably give it more like a month to really give it a chance
Thankyou mate, this is exactly the feedback I need to know about. It’s tricky as I need to keep a somewhat tight tolerance so the lid doesn’t rock but not too tight that it becomes an issue.

Thanks for making me aware and please keep me updated on how this progresses, Thank heaps.

Knewt

Thankyou mate, this is exactly the feedback I need to know about. It’s tricky as I need to keep a somewhat tight tolerance so the lid doesn’t rock but not too tight that it becomes an issue.

Thanks for making me aware and please keep me updated on how this progresses, Thank heaps.
You can also put a little nose grease on the center post.

Clawhammer

Mine gets hung up on the centre post too - and sometimes it's a real effort to remove the top. Oddly, other times I can remove it really easily. Other than that I love it.

OMD

Accessory Maker
Mine gets hung up on the centre post too - and sometimes it's a real effort to remove the top. Oddly, other times I can remove it really easily. Other than that I love it.
Do you have a NTN or better bearing?

If this becomes a problem I will loosen the tolerance for the bearing onto the post and allow for a little more flex in the lid.

OMD,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Only use the outside of your nose.

That’s my main source of GREASE. Old trick my dad taught me, great on orings!
Mentioned “nose grease” trying to help someone on Reddit, got downvoted, not that I give a crap, but it illustrated how uneducated and closed minded the general public is, especially the kiddies on that platform. Now I barely bother posting there…..

Knewt

Sounds like something's not perfectly round.
Maybe put a mark where they line up good.

Or maybe some emery cloth or something to polish up the mating surfaces?
The problem is the tight fit. If both the top and bottom are parallel when assembled, they will go together without issue. Any mis-alignment is compounded by the length of the center post. Remember, it is also a fidget spinner, so play with it regularly, and don’t force it. Things will loosen with time.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
For what it's worth, I do you think nose grease sounds a bit gross and personally would also not want oils from my face on my grinder or buds, I mean I try to be mindful of my finger oils as best I can, but I know how oily my face is and I don't really want that involved in this habit lol tough enough managing it as it is, damn genetics! But I don't really like using any for anything...

I've noticed mine land a little uneven sometimes, but not with any sort of consistency or permanence, perhaps because I have the lickety splits??

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
nose grease sounds a bit gross and personally would also not want oils from my face on my grinder or buds

It’s your own bodily oils, next to your nose, where it collects the most. Some make jokes about “buggers” etc., but obviously that’s not what nose grease is. Not sure how any lube would get into your grinder or buds, any over applied lube would be the same. I don’t need any lube on my BCG grinders, but for Orings, nose grease is handy, and usually very available. Now go WASH UP ! :)

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
Received mine in Canada. Had to pay $25 in fees.
Really nice so far, proper beast of a grinder
I might have one issue where it’s rubbing on one section of the lid when spinning
like if I apply any pressure to the edge of the lid and turn slowly, it’s totally free and smooth until one small section it always rubs.
need to play with it a bit more and see.

I like the size/depth of the herb chamber. At pre order I thought it might be too big. But it’s nice size. Too heavy to take out on trips though.

Clawhammer

Do you have a NTN or better bearing?

If this becomes a problem I will loosen the tolerance for the bearing onto the post and allow for a little more flex in the lid.
I have a better bearing. Honestly it doesn't really bother me, it just takes a few seconds of fiddling around to find the right position. Great job by the way, love being able to support Australian manufacturing!

LesPlenty

Company Rep

I have a better bearing. Honestly it doesn't really bother me, it just takes a few seconds of fiddling around to find the right position. Great job by the way, love being able to support Australian manufacturing!
Lift the grinder off your table before installing/removing the grind plate as this all but negates the stuck-on post problem until it wears in a bit.

DRAG-0n

This is the same sort of dilemma i was running into, hopefully it just needs a little time.
Lift the grinder off your table before installing/removing the grind plate as this all but negates the stuck-on post problem until it wears in a bit.
It unfortunately does not help if it is in my hand or on the table, but I will keep using this grinder for the next month to see how it does and keep reporting. After a few oz have gone through it, im hoping that it breaks in enough where it doesnt get caught at all.

It is absolutely the smoothest grinding I have experienced and I really dont think there is too much to improve upon at all. It is a testament to great design that Ben has accomplished here.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah, I meant to mention in a previous post, sometimes pulling up attempting to open just the lid, you pull both pieces and expose the tray, I think the top magnet is even stronger than the bottom magnet? The grip is good, just no match lol

PXL-20230209-074549386.jpg

PXL-20230209-075036631.jpg

^Blood Money was next up

Knewt

I don’t have an issue with opening my Aroma-3, but there are some strong magnets in use (which I like). However, it looks like Ben could add the same finger pull design from the top to the 6 outer lobes of the 2 bottom pieces. I don’t know if his current fixturing and milling process would allow this though.

Last edited:

oldfool

I bet that strong magnet in the post is acting on the steel balls in the bearing and slowing down the spin .
I ordered an ABEC 7 ceramic hybrid without lube to see how good it can spin.
I'll use a drop of vegetable oil to make sure the races don't rust.

Top Bottom