OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

JackDeaniels

Vapor Freak
Hi there, I'm thinking of pulling the plug on the Aroma-3
I was wondering of a few things:

How long do you expect until (if) a new version will be released? Now that there's user feedback coming in

I saw the ball bearings are simple to replace, will that void the warranty? And well, what IS the warranty? 😅 I couldn't find much on the Terms of Service page

As for the bearings themselves, I am uninformed in such matters, is there a standard size?
I'm thinking of getting normal and NTN bearing to see which I like better, but that is not possible on the site, could such an option be arranged?

Edit: Sorry one more, how strong is the magnet?

This grinder looks amazing by the way, I am very excited for it

farmerpalmersnt

I reckon it could be solved with a skirt/bump around the middle section. You could use that to grip more effectively and no way of accidentally opening the bottom chamber. Might make it less beautiful though...

I don't have the problem, whether it's hand shape, technique or the grinder I don't know.

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
Yeah it could get easier over time, getting use to the grinder
I think it’s to do with the bearing/grinder post, kind of sticks a bit sometimes

I Remember it was a little tricky at first opening the chamber of the BCG but it soon becomes second nature

The grind is effortless, This is like a Mercedes S AMG class grinder, while the BCG is more quick like a Ferrari

already thinking of ordering a second, maybe wait for any revision tho haha.

OMD

Accessory Maker

I have been thining about all of you guys feedback regarding the lid being hard to pull off sometimes.

I have done a quick prototype of a design with added grooves for grip in the mid and bottom section. Not only does it look good (imo) but this will help you guys in gripping the grinder to remove the lid.
Also I’m thinking about having the option on checkout to remove the magnet from the lid all together. This will be much beneficial for people with arthritis etc. the lid will fall off if held upside down and will come off a lot easier with no magnet holding it down.

Please let me know your thoughts guys.

OMD

Accessory Maker
Removing the upper magnet altogether seems like the right move imo.
I don't really see the need for it considering the lid is so secure around the post due to the tolerances and weight.
But I haven't used the grinder so I'm talking out of my ass.
Anyone disagree based on usage?
I guess the only issue is if people try to cart them around, the lid can fall off.

I like the idea of having the option for people choose. I understand that one option doesn’t cater for everyone’s needs.

GratefulDread

I guess the only issue is if people try to cart them around, the lid can fall off.

I like the idea of having the option for people choose. I understand that one option doesn’t cater for everyone’s needs.
Yeah I mean if you're able to offer the option to have it or not, that's awesome!
But from what I've seen, It seems like the general consensus is that this is more of an at-home grinder, and probably the nicest one ever made. I'd personally prefer that it be optimized in that direction rather than trying to make it an all-rounder. But I know different people have different needs. :2c:
Nevertheless, you've made a beautiful device. Congrats @OMD !!!

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

I have been thining about all of you guys feedback regarding the lid being hard to pull off sometimes.

I have done a quick prototype of a design with added grooves for grip in the mid and bottom section. Not only does it look good (imo) but this will help you guys in gripping the grinder to remove the lid.

You are so awesome! Honestly though, I don't think this new gripping on the sides of the body is necessary at all, the stainless steel is not slippery or anything, and the shape is already really nice for gripping (I don't think these extra notches look bad per se, though I do prefer how it looks and feels how it was previously how it is on mine currently for whatever that's worth)

Also I’m thinking about having the option on checkout to remove the magnet from the lid all together. This will be much beneficial for people with arthritis etc. the lid will fall off if held upside down and will come off a lot easier with no magnet holding it down.

Please let me know your thoughts guys.

This, however, I think is an absolutely fantastic idea! Yes there is no real reason for a magnet there, it fits together so securely, and is pretty much always sitting upright anyway, I honestly can't see any real reason the magnet would be necessary unless you were showing it off carelessly not realizing turning it upside down so it fell to hit something?? Having it the optional is smart, means I will likely need a second (might as well get a more fine grind plate then too)

:2c::D:bowdown:

oldfool

No top magnet demo!
Does it spin longer?
I'm sure I'm gonna be perfectly happy with mine that landed in the US yesterday.

cant-wait-excited.gif

Knewt

I love the grooves on the sides, just what I had imagined. The magnet is important for me, but only when I am playing with it. In use I can live without it. I guess an all ceramic bearing in the founder’s editions would accomplish the same thing.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I am a 100lb cancer patient but it is damn strong
The prototype magnets were even stronger. I think they are about right how they are now as I already had one unwanted separation.
I'll use a drop of vegetable oil to make sure the races don't rust.
Those races are 440 S/S so should not rust as 440 has moderate corrosion resistance. A bit of veg oil would not hurt but it will slow the spin down a bee's dick.

oldfool

Those races are 440 S/S so should not rust as 440 has moderate corrosion resistance. A bit of veg oil would not hurt but it will slow the spin down a bee's dick.
That's not what the bearing expert tells me.
The bearing races are made of 440C stainless steel.
This material will eventually rust in a wet or humid environment.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
That's not what the bearing expert tells me.
I did say moderate protection and I won't use mine while diving or water skiing,
Google,
440 stainless steel
Grade 440C stainless steel is a high carbon martensitic stainless steel. It has high strength, moderate corrosion resistance, and good hardness and wear resistance. Grade 440C is capable of attaining, after heat treatment, the highest strength, hardness and wear resistance of all the stainless alloys.

For a bearing I want for spinning, I would rather replace the less than $5 part every 5 or 10 years rather than turning the bearing into a dust magnet having exposed oil.:2c:

Top Bottom