MagicStone Alchemy

simba

@weedanwine
I need to order a vapman torch for this. I think that torch would be perfect!!

The vapman torch lighter would definitely work. I think this is a solid option too

Was using it with my VaporGenie until I lost it on a night out, very comfortable to use. I can't vouch for how long it would last though, as I lost it about 6/7 months after buying it. I can tell you that I'm ordering another to replace it though.

simba,
Reactions: rnartian

seriousTone

That's funny, I've been thinking how im going to try my triple flame torch with the stone and it happens to be basically the exact shape as the vapman torch.

I had a feeling it was going to be really good - must be because the shape - but I'm curious about the extra heat too, might be nice.

seriousTone,

seriousTone

ha @Jimagic, sure was.

I think I'm liking a double torch best right now. My single flame is an aomi, so maybe it's just small, but it can take a while to get a good hit and the back of the stone heats up pretty hot - this could be because I'm inhaling too quickly though and cooling it down. The triple flame seems to heat of the back of the stone pretty quickly as well but is a nice fast hit.

I try to remember to inhale a little slower but the double flame is providing me with nice quick hits - that are so controllable by bobbing the flame closer/further from the hole, just a few mm - without causing the back of the stone to heat up too much.

Can't get over how much I love how solid the coin cover is both off and on the stone.

Jimagic

Handmade Smokeless Instruments
Manufacturer
This feedback is invaluable ST.

We're constantly testing stones and using a variety of torches and sizes to ensure that any given torch will deliver a great hit with an appropriate adjustment in distance and/or draw. So It's great to get hear your approach developing your "Goldilocks" technique - it's why we've always considered them instruments. The slight variability, stone to stone, in terms of thermal response and the influence of flame/distance/draw, allows for different approaches to playing your axe (end of music metaphor.)

At a recent party, a woman, who it turns out is a serious hashish connoisseur, asked if she could try my Alchemy. Before I could tell her anything, she started puffing on it in quick short draws. I was saying, "that's not how you..." when she let out this great, billowy hit. She said something like, "that's how I smoke hash, and it just seemed natural". It was an intuitive, original approach and she got a great, clean hit.

FWIW, my favorite technique for terpy or deep hits is the no flame/just heat approach, where you're using a consistent heat source and regulating the hit with your draw. It warms the stone slowly (relative to a hotter faster draw), the stone warms evenly and you can get the bigger finish of cool air through the instrument. The hotter the flame, the higher I place it but I never bring the flame to the intake - always keeping the outer blue flame as much as an inch/25mm or so above - and the last couple of seconds of draw, after taking the torch away, is where you get the bigger hits this way.

And please ST, share more input as you riff.

Last edited:

seriousTone

This feedback is invaluable ST.

We're constantly testing stones and using a variety of torches and sizes to ensure that any given torch will deliver a great hit with an appropriate adjustment in distance and/or draw. So It's great to get hear your approach developing your "Goldilocks" technique - it's why we've always considered them instruments. The slight variability, stone to stone, in terms of thermal response and the influence of flame/distance/draw, allows for different approaches to playing your axe (end of music metaphor.)

At a recent party, a woman, who it turns out is a serious hashish connoisseur, asked if she could try my Alchemy. Before I could tell her anything, she started puffing on it in quick short draws. I was saying, "that's not how you..." when she let out this great, billowy hit. She said something like, "that's how I smoke hash, and it just seemed natural". It was an intuitive, original approach and she got a great, clean hit.

FWIW, my favorite technique for terpy or deep hits is the no flame/just heat approach, where you're using a consistent heat source and regulating the hit with your draw. It warms the stone slowly (relative to a hotter faster draw), the stone warms evenly and you can get the bigger finish of cool air through the instrument. The hotter the flame, the higher I place it but I never bring the flame to the intake - always keeping the outer blue flame as much as an inch/25mm or so above - and the last couple of seconds of draw, after taking the torch away, is where you get the bigger hits this way.

And please ST, share more input as you riff.
Very interesting. The small sips is how you are suppose to? - or maybe i just do - hit the mflb. Gently not hard though, sounds like a fun technique to try for this as well.

I tried your technique of the flame an inch above the intake and I can get a mild hit. If I inhale too fast I feel like I'm running out of breath before I get a good hit and sometimes do. Also the back of the stone starts to get very hot if I try for two consecutive hits quickly.

So far I find I need to put at least the outer blue flame very near or in the intake to get a quick/big hit. Consequently the back of the stone does heat up from that as well If you try for too many hits.

I love experimenting and will be gladly doing more with the Odyssey.

Jimagic

Manufacturer
Very interesting. The small sips is how you are suppose to? - or maybe i just do - hit the mflb. Gently not hard though, sounds like a fun technique to try for this as well.

I tried your technique of the flame an inch above the intake and I can get a mild hit. If I inhale too fast I feel like I'm running out of breath before I get a good hit and sometimes do. Also the back of the stone starts to get very hot if I try for two consecutive hits quickly.

So far I find I need to put at least the outer blue flame very near or in the intake to get a quick/big hit. Consequently the back of the stone does heat up from that as well If you try for too many hits.

I love experimenting and will be gladly doing more with the Odyssey.
The first thing I'lll say about the back of the stone getting hot is the flame being too close. The slower warming definitely allows for the even heating and performance. Try dialing up the flame intensity and holding it up further and using your draw more to warm it.

Let's hook up for a FaceTime session (one of my favorite parts of MagicStone life) and we'll expand on things.

Last edited:

seriousTone

@Jimagic that sounds cool, we should definitely hook up.

lol ok now I get it...I was inhaling WAY too slow...years of hitting the mflb and log vapes...
You want to RIP this thing - now I remember reading something about embracing the whistle or something along those lines.

I'm realizing how bad I need a big reservoir torch now, that does well upside down.

Ok and in the meantime - I never thought about the fact that you could just fill up a soft flame lighter with high quality butane as well. Just put a new basket in the odyssey, emptied and filled the clipper soft flame that came in the kit and took a few hits.

WOW, soft flame is the way to go all this time. QUICK easy hits. And when you hit it in the dark, the way the soft flame lights up the stone and coin cap, you feel like an ancient Egyptian, WILD. I honestly don't think I'll ever go back to the torch.

Jimagic

Manufacturer
Man, you really are riffing on that instrument, while proving that their really isn't a right or wrong way to make magic - as long as you don't combust your flower. Earth, wind and fire brother.

Jimagic,

StinKing

Hello,
I've recently become interested in the stone but have a question that I haven't seen brought up yet.

Can you use hemp wick instead as a heat source for the stone?

I imagine that the wick will provide a flame much like a soft flame lighter but without the downside of possibly inhaling butane.

Jimagic

Manufacturer
Hey SK,
Thanks for your interested. Hemp wick doesn't generate enough heat to warm the stone or produce vapor. But using a torch eliminates the primary butane issue some have with soft flame heating. And our basic torch technique, where you're using the heat of the clean, blue flame but not the flame itself, keeps any potential butane out of the stone. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jimagic,
Reactions: StinKing

simba

@weedanwine
Hello,
I've recently become interested in the stone but have a question that I haven't seen brought up yet.

Can you use hemp wick instead as a heat source for the stone?

I imagine that the wick will provide a flame much like a soft flame lighter but without the downside of possibly inhaling butane.

Having tried hemp wick with the Vapor Genie which has a similar heating method, I wouldn't recommend it. A torch lighter is best IMO.

StinKing

Having tried hemp wick with the Vapor Genie which has a similar heating method, I wouldn't recommend it. A torch lighter is best IMO.
Good to know. I used to use the wick a lot when I combusted and was wondering if it would work with the stone, but I can see how it wouldn't produce enough heat to be effective, seeing as it would often extinguish the flame on the wick when I would take a bong rip.

StinKing,

Jimagic

Manufacturer
Hey Adobewan, You are generous soul.
And for your friend and yourself - we're here for any coaching/input to make sure you've got your basic technique quickly. I'd normally say anytime, but tomorrow we're sponsoring The Headies, the awards for the best cannabis growers in Vermont and that's going to be a serious event/party. But even tomorrow evening, I'm here.

Adobewan

Hey Adobewan, You are generous soul.
And for your friend and yourself - we're here for any coaching/input to make sure you've got your basic technique quickly. I'd normally say anytime, but tomorrow we're sponsoring The Headies, the awards for the best cannabis growers in Vermont and that's going to be a serious event/party. But even tomorrow evening, I'm here.
Thank you @Jimagic but the acknowledgment of that generosity should go to @mephisto who supplied the unit.
Enjoy the awards and good luck!

Adobewan,
Top Bottom