Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Speaking of bullshiters. Look who didn’t want to be left out and photoshopped herself into the indictment.

Ha, even I could do a better silhouette in PS, what did they use, the "magic wand" tool... on a PHONE?

What a detestable human being...

Edit: oh yeah, "news", guess I gotta post something...

4th time's a charm..! (this year):

Last edited:

florduh

image.png

Never heard of this fucking dork before yesterday. He's a pharma multimillionaire. Here's how he made his money:

Founded a biotech firm with millions in venture capital and hedge fund money

Used that money to buy the patent to an Alzheimers drug that failed 4 trials

Raised even investor money to take the drug to market

Took the company public, cashed out millions

The drug failed its 5th and final trial, wiping out the investors

He's a bullshitter. And a perfect example of how our scam economy is built almost entirely on bullshit.

F4X1RT3WEAATUSb

Vivek is proof the American Dream is alive and well. He's one of those "Job Creators" we need to get down on our knees and thank.

He made his money the old fashioned way: Scamming investors out of millions and getting all his employees laid off.

You too can be a success like Vivek! All we need to do is end public education and make sure Vivek and his rich buddies get another tax cut! It's gonna trickle down this time Bro, trust me Bro!

7wx4sn.jpg

For all the talk of how we need to get all the old people out of politics, the two smarmiest politicians to enter the scene recently are Millennials in their 30's: Vivek and Mayor Pete.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

de8d1be978e65406cafb16394f1adc04a68b80d2836263e10e5a273b82e14b59.jpg

florduh

de8d1be978e65406cafb16394f1adc04a68b80d2836263e10e5a273b82e14b59.jpg

I gotta wonder how many people who moved to the sunbelt over the past few years are gonna fuckin bounce sooner rather than later. Summers are now oppressively hot. And last about half the year.

The cost of living savings start to make less sense too after your home insurance drops you, or you need to run a generator because of your State's failing infrastructure.

florduh

n8boz1xgpr1b1.png

Minnesota Governor signing guaranteed school lunches bill:

2fccad-20230317-schoolmeals-08-webp1400.webp

Arkansas Governor legalizing child labor:

newFile-3.jpg

They say "the children yearn for the mines" but those little dudes do not look thrilled.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
One would think that those kind of party centered differences would make one of those parties unelectable. I don't really understand why that is not the case, but apparently it is not. One more American mystery.

florduh

One would think that those kind of party centered differences would make one of those parties unelectable. I don't really understand why that is not the case, but apparently it is not. One more American mystery.

I watched that debate. Like a sicko. One thing became obvious to me: having a charismatic celebrity President really papered over the weaknesses of that Party. Like putting a golden toilet in a rotting trailer park home.

Their policies are not popular. And all of their non-Game Show Host candidates are off-putting weirdos.

At this point, the Demoncrats could put their competition to bed. Make them the permanent minority, regional Party that they really have been for at least a decade now.

But you have Coastal Dems like Pelosi and Schumer saying "we need a STRONG Republican Party!" Because that gives them an easy excuse to not deliver any tangible improvements for their voters.

The time for mamby-pamby, scrawny, kale-eating coastal elitists is over. The Era of The Powerful Brat-Eating Great Lakes Big Boy is upon us.

3ea96be319c45fe231a4dd9021e97a5ce6a06563485be8d15c23eb7d2bf080c3_1.jpg

6OXYANU7NNFG3KQ4XYXCNUNMVU.jpg

Knewt

But you have Coastal Dems like Pelosi and Schumer saying "we need a STRONG Republican Party!" Because that gives them an easy excuse to not deliver any tangible improvements for their voters.
I think both parties realize that conflict between parties brings out the $$$$$$.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I think both parties realize that conflict between parties brings out the $$$$$$.
Which is another reason why the bi-partisan system is bollocks! Sure it's still the truth for our biggest two parties, but at least there are smaller parties to bring attention to the other salient points of society.

* excuse my external input to your politics, I obviously don't understand it like the rest of you...

florduh

And it funds a whole industry of consultants, lobbyists, bullshit artists. All useless eaters. We need to move to publicly funded elections. And like a 3-4 month campaign season. All political advertising outside that period should be illegal.

* excuse my external input to your politics, I obviously don't understand it like the rest of you...

No, you're right. Having 4 parties that need to form coalitions would be better.

images

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Personally, I think it's a lot easier to generate compromises that don't have winners and losers with two parties working out their differences. But when one party's positions are insane, nobody wins.

DrJynx86

As long as corruption is kept in check, no matter how many parties you have, single party commie? you have places like China showing that it works, as long as you get death penalty for corruption. Two parties without corruption works all the time in europe. Many parties without corruption would work too and be ideal.

But let's say 4 parties that are just Dems A and B and Reps A and B and they just keep covering their dirt, more of the same.

DrJynx86,
Reactions: florduh

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

olysh pops

The Human Ecology of Overshoot: Why a Major ‘Population Correction’ Is Inevitable

. Summary and Conclusions: It’s Really Quite Simple

“Without a biosphere in a good shape, there is no life on the planet. It’s very simple. That’s all you need to know. The economists will tell you we can decouple growth from material consumption, but that is total nonsense… If you don’t manage decline, then you succumb to it and you are gone” (Vaclav Smil, [102]).

H. sapiens, like all other species, are naturally predisposed to grow, reproduce, and expand into all suitable accessible habitat. Physical growth is natural, but is only an early phase in the development of individual organisms; growth in sheer scale, including population growth, is characteristic of early phases of complex living systems, including human societies. However, both material and population growth in finite habitats are ultimately limited by the availability of essential ‘inputs’, by the capacity of the system’s environment to assimilate (often toxic) outputs, or by various forms of negative feedback as previously listed. Growth will cease, either by “design or disaster” [103]

For most of H. sapiens’ evolutionary history, local population growth has, in fact, been constrained by negative feedback. However, improved population health (lower death rates) and the use of fossil fuels. particularly since the early 19th century, enabled a period of unprecedented food and resource abundance. In nature, any ‘K’-strategic species population enjoying such favourable conditions will expand exponentially. Growth will generally continue until excess consumption and habitat degradation once again lead to food shortages and starvation, or disease and predation take their toll. The population then falls back below the long-term carrying capacity of the habitat and negative feedback eases off. Some species repeatedly exhibit this cycle of population boom and bust.

Illustration by Stable Diffusion (+PJ)
Humanity is only a partial exception. The abundance generated by fossil fuels enabled H. sapiens, for the first time, to experience a one-off global population boom−bust cycle (Figure 1). It is a ‘one-off’ cycle because it was enabled by vast stocks of both potentially renewable self-producing resources and finite non-renewable resources, including fossil fuels, which have been greatly depleted. No repetition is possible. As Clugston argues, by choosing to industrialize, Homo sapiens unwittingly made a commitment to impermanence [77]. We adopted a self-terminating way of life, in which the finite resources that enable our industrial existence would inevitably become insufficient to do so.

The physical mechanisms are simple. Living systems, from individual cells through whole organisms to populations and ecosystems, exist in nested hierarchies and function as far-from-equilibrium dissipative structures [104]. Each level in the hierarchy depends on the next level up both as a source for useful resources (negentropy) and as a sink for degraded wastes (entropy). As Daly [8,9] reminds us, the human enterprise is a wholly-dependent subsystem of the ecosphere; it produces and maintains itself by extracting negentropic resources from its host system, the ecosphere, and dumping degraded en-tropic wastes back into its host. It follows that the increasing structural and functional complexity of the human sub-system as a far-from equilibrium-dissipative structure (a node of negentropy) can occur only at the expense of the accelerated disordering (increas-ing entropy) of the non-growing ecosphere. Indeed, humanity is in overshoot—global heating, plunging biodiversity, soil/land degradation, tropical deforestation, ocean acidi-fication, fossil fuel and mineral depletion, the pollution of everything, etc., are indicative of the increasing disordering of the biosphere/ecosphere. We are at risk of a chaotic break-down of essential life-support functions [105].

Little of this is reflected in contemporary development debates or in discussions of the population conundrum. The international community’s response to incipient biospheric collapse is doubly disastrous. MTI culture’s commitment to material growth, including continued FF use (Track 1), condemns humanity to the predictably dangerous impacts of accelerating climate change; at the same time, our pursuit of alternative energy sources (themselves FF dependent) in order to maintain the growth-based status quo (Track 2) would, if successful, assure the continued depletion and dissipation of both self-producing and non-renewable resources essential for the existence of civilization.

Illustration by DALL·E (+PJ)

The mainstream view of population asserts that the growth rate is declining so “not to worry”—or worry that population decline is bad for the economy! Even the base assertion is controversial. Jane O’Sullivan points out that the rate of decline has itself declined in this century. She argues that UN demographers have thus ‘persistently underestimated recent global population, due to their over-anticipation of fertility declines in high-fertility countries’ [106]. The human population continues to grow at about 80 million per year—O’Sullivan argues that the number is closer to 90 million—and its ultimate peak is highly uncertain. Renewed negative feedback may well end growth well before the population reaches the UN’s expected 10.4 billion in the late 2080s.

It is crucial to remember that, right or wrong, conventional projections ignore the fact that the ecosphere is not actually now ‘supporting’ even the present eight billion people. The human enterprise is growing and maintaining itself by liquidating and polluting essential ecosystems and material assets. In short, even average material living standards are corrosively excessive, yet, in 2019, ‘almost a quarter of the global population… lived below the US$3.65 per day poverty line, and almost half, 47 percent, lived below the US$6.85 poverty line’ [107] and the world considers sheer material growth as the means to address this problem. Following this path, eco-destruction will ramp up, increasing the probability of a self-induced simplification and contraction of the human enterprise.

Baring a nuclear holocaust, it is unlikely that H. sapiens will go extinct. Wealthy, technologically advanced nations potentially have more resilience and may be insulated, at least temporarily, from the worst consequences of global simplification [108]. That said, rebounding negative feedbacks—climate chaos, food and other resource shortages, civil disorder, resource wars, etc.—may well eliminate prospects for an advanced world-wide civilization. In the event of a seemingly inevitable global population ‘correction’, human numbers will fall to the point where survivors can once again hope to thrive within the (much reduced) carrying capacity of the Earth. Informed estimates put the long-term carrying capacity at as few as 100 million [109] to as many as three billion people [110].

Closer to you, my Mad Max - by Hervey

It is uncertain whether much or any of industrial high-tech can persist in the absence of abundant cheap energy and rich resource reserves, most of which will have been extracted, used, and dissipated. It may well be that the best-case future will, in fact, be powered by renewable energy, but in the form of human muscle, draft horses, mules, and oxen supplemented by mechanical water-wheels and wind-mills. In the worst case, the billion (?) or so survivors will face a return to stone-age life-styles. Should this be humanity’s future, it will not be urban sophisticates that survive but rather the pre-adapted rural poor and remaining pockets of indigenous peoples.

Last edited:

olysh pops

Bottom line: Any reasonable interpretation of previous histories, current trends, and complex systems dynamics would hold that global MTI culture is beginning to unravel and that the one-off human population boom is destined to bust. H. sapiens’ innate expansionist tendencies have become maladaptive. However, far from acknowledging and overriding our disadvantageous natural predispositions, contemporary cultural norms reinforce them. Arguably, in these circumstances, wide-spread societal collapse cannot be averted—collapse is not a problem to be solved, but rather the final stage of a cycle to be endured. Global civilizational collapse will almost certainly be accompanied by a major human population ‘correction’. In the best of all possible worlds, the whole transition might actually be managed in ways that prevent unnecessary suffering of millions (billions?) of people, but this is not happening—and cannot happen—in a world blind to its own predicament.

florduh

Bottom line: Any reasonable interpretation of previous histories, current trends, and complex systems dynamics would hold that global MTI culture is beginning to unravel and that the one-off human population boom is destined to bust. H. sapiens’ innate expansionist tendencies have become maladaptive. However, far from acknowledging and overriding our disadvantageous natural predispositions, contemporary cultural norms reinforce them. Arguably, in these circumstances, wide-spread societal collapse cannot be averted—collapse is not a problem to be solved, but rather the final stage of a cycle to be endured. Global civilizational collapse will almost certainly be accompanied by a major human population ‘correction’. In the best of all possible worlds, the whole transition might actually be managed in ways that prevent unnecessary suffering of millions (billions?) of people, but this is not happening—and cannot happen—in a world blind to its own predicament.

To be clear here, if civilization collapses it won't be because there are "too many people". It will be because we had "too much capitalism". Our economic system incentivizes the absolute worst aspects of humanity, including short term thinking. And the chickens are coming home to roost.

Since economists/perverts love their little graphs, here's one:
Learn Find Out GIF

But I dunno man. I think if you're alive in the First World around mid-century, you're still gonna have to work and pay your bills allllll through the Apocalypse.

I think there's a sort of relief people my age or younger feel, assuming the world's gonna end. But.... I got news for you. Chances are you're gonna have to bear witness to various horrors around the world, sure. But you personally... you're still gonna have to struggle to make ends meet at an Amazon Fulfillment Center until you keel over in your 80's.

There will still be population decline. Every now and then a wet bulb humidity event combined with a power outage will kill 50+ million people in a matter of hours. But if it doesn't happen to you personally, it will just be another horrible thing that you read about on the news.

Civilization is resilient. The Black Death killed 50% of Europe. The 30 Years War killed 30%. I tend to doubt North America or Europe is losing 30-50% this century.

Maybe if someplace like Texas is the first place a million+ people die in a heatwave, it will kick the global community into gear and drastic action will be taken to put the world on the path to a prosperous and sustainable future.

That's basically the plot of Kim Stanley Robinson's 2020 sci-fi novel, Ministry for the Future.

50998056.jpg

Though I will point out, part of the novel's path to securing the future involves terrorists using drones to execute various executives and major shareholders in the oil, weapons, and finance industries. Which I condemn and definitely think is bad 👍
DQ2qJ0eW4AAvHCO.jpg

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Another day, another mass shooting (or two, technically)... and golly gee, look what kinda weapon was used... whatashocker:
Only 217 more to go til we break our old record set way way waaay back in 2021:
C'mon 'murica, we can do this!

Last edited:

Knewt

Another day, another mass shooting (or two, technically)... and golly gee, look what kinda weapon was used... whatashocker:
Only 217 more to go til we break our old record set way way waaay back in 2021:
C'mon 'murica, we can do this!
According to the 2nd article, the Jacksonville shooting doesn’t qualify as a mass shooting because only 3 were killed, and it takes 4 to be a mass shooting.

Knewt,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
According to the 2nd article, the Jacksonville shooting doesn’t qualify as a mass shooting because only 3 were killed, and it takes 4 to be a mass shooting.
Yeah, I saw that too... meh, details... 218 then, you happy?

Bologna,

DrJynx86

Every shooting where the target is a mass, should be called a mass shooting, I don't know why it's not called mass murder or mass killing. (as a complete foreign with english as second language).

Let's say they a miracle happens and don't hurt anyone, that's attempted mass murder, in my country the attempted crime has the same penalty as the actual crime.

Knewt

Every shooting where the target is a mass, should be called a mass shooting, I don't know why it's not called mass murder or mass killing. (as a complete foreign with english as second language).

Let's say they a miracle happens and don't hurt anyone, that's attempted mass murder, in my country the attempted crime has the same penalty as the actual crime.
In my country Congress made it so the US Government is not allowed to keep statistics on gun deaths.

Knewt,
  • Sad
Reactions: DrJynx86

AssistedLiving

The researchers found that TNT reprogramming was able to more efficiently and effectively reprogram human cells than other methods. They also found that TNT-reprogrammed cells were more similar to embryonic stem cells in terms of their gene expression profile and their capacity to differentiate into different cell types.

The development of TNT reprogramming is a significant advance in the field of regenerative medicine. It could potentially be used to create new treatments for a variety of diseases, including heart disease, stroke, and spinal cord injury.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I LOVE this...

Top Bottom