Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

florduh

I feel like I'm losing my mind here. 74% of Americans apparently support a "no fly zone". Is this because the news does an awful job informing people or because most people are really dumb? There's no magical Star Wars shield. A "no fly zone" requires enforcement. It means American jets shooting down Russian aircraft. A hot war with Russia. A nuclear power lead by a guy we know makes rash, insane decisions.

When I read that headline, I see "Polls Show 74% of Americans Support Cleansing All Life from the known Universe In a Nuclear Fire".

dr strangelove film GIF

BrianTL

Westchester, NY

I feel like I'm losing my mind here. 74% of Americans apparently support a "no fly zone". Is this because the news does an awful job informing people or because most people are really dumb? There's no magical Star Wars shield. A "no fly zone" requires enforcement. It means American jets shooting down Russian aircraft. A hot war with Russia. A nuclear power lead by a guy we know makes rash, insane decisions.

When I read that headline, I see "Polls Show 74% of Americans Support Cleansing All Life from the known Universe In a Nuclear Fire".

dr strangelove film GIF

I’m with you on the fly zone but not financially supporting him sure seems like a great idea.

If only we were energy independent. I miss those days

florduh

I’m with you on the fly zone but not financially supporting him sure seems like a great idea.

I'd have no problem with going after Russian oil money, but I can't see it happening. No one wants to see the worldwide price of oil triple for months on end. Same reason we haven't gone after all the property scumbag oligarchs own in every major city. Those guys spend a lot of money. Going after them would cause the economies of London, NYC, Miami, LA, Chicago etc to collapse.

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist

dr strangelove film GIF

I highly doubt 74% of Americans support anything, period. That said those 81 million Americans that voted for Joe undoubtedly support him protecting his family business in the Ukraine.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device

dr strangelove film GIF
Nuclear warheads ready to strike
This world is so fucked, let's end it tonight
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/electricwizard/funeralopolis.html :D
""However, some 62% of respondents in the Reuters/Ipsos poll said paying more for fuel and gas because of the crisis was worthwhile to defend another democratic country.""
My gas bill alone costed me 1/3 of my Income this month ,having in mind half of it is already going on the rent.After paying the rest of my utilities ,i got a few coins left of what is considered a middle/median salary rate and food prices are 20% up in the last 3 months. Nothing against defending democracy of other countries ,but how about defending also those going in starvation ?

Last edited:

shredder

Nuclear warheads ready to strike
This world is so fucked, let's end it tonight
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/electricwizard/funeralopolis.html :D
""However, some 62% of respondents in the Reuters/Ipsos poll said paying more for fuel and gas because of the crisis was worthwhile to defend another democratic country.""
My gas bill alone costed me 1/3 of my Income this month ,having in mind half of it is already going on the rent.After paying the rest of my utilities ,i got a few coins left of what is considered a middle/median salary rate and food prices are 20% up in the last 3 months. Nothing against defending democracy of other countries ,but how about defending also those going in starvation ?

Having parents that raised me after going through a major depression and a world War, and then living through the Vietnam War, this old back to the earth hippy thinks we've been spoiled and out of touch as to the ways of the rest of the world.

This may be a good wake up call for us and a reminder of just how well off we are, and to keep other less fortunate people in mind, as we suffer comparably minor complications.

florduh

Nothing against defending democracy of other countries ,but how about defending also those going in starvation ?

I don't know why it took me so long to figure this out. Probably because nuclear armageddon hasn't been a real worry since I was an infant. But we spend like a trillion per year in total on "defense". And I've been told we have to spend that outrageous sum to defend against Russia and China. Except, as the current situation illustrates, we can never use any of these weapons against Russia or China.

We can only ever use our military in wars of choice against poor countries that can never pose any risk to the US homeland. Because getting into any shooting war with a nuclear power almost guarantees that nukes are getting launched. And nuclear winter is really bad for shareholder value, so no one's risking that. So what the fuck are we funnelling trillions to Raytheon and Lockheed for? What a scam.

If we still want to pretend our "defense" budget is to defend against Russia/China... how about we only spend as much as China on the military every year. That would free up about 700 billion a year we could invest in improving this country or helping our citizens.

Berzzerkker

The mother of an 11-year-old boy from Ukraine who travelled for nearly 700 miles to Slovakia with just a plastic bag, a passport and a telephone number written on his hand has spoken of her relief at her son’s safe escape from Russian bombs.

Yulia Pisetskaya said she had put her son on a train to Slovakia from Zaporizhzhia, close to the nuclear plant that came under attack from Russian forces last week, out of desperation.

She had been unable to leave with him from south-east Ukraine because she was unwell and needed to look after her disabled mother.

Slovakian border guards looked after the boy, who has not been named, on his arrival, according to the police, who have described him as a “hero”. He had the phone number of relatives in the Slovakian capital, Bratislava, written on his hand. The authorities were able to track them down and they have since taken him into their care.

“I am very grateful that they saved the life of my child,” Pisetskaya said in a video message posted on Facebook on Sunday. “In your small country, there are people with big hearts.”

The Slovakian interior ministry said on Facebook that the boy “won everybody’s hearts with his smile, fearlessness and determination, worthy of a real hero”. They said the authorities had “kept him warm and provided him with food and drink, which they packed for his next trip”.

Officials added: “Thanks to the number on his hand and a piece of paper in his waist, he managed to contact his loved ones, who came for him later, and the whole story ended well.”

“He came all alone from Zaporizhzhia because his parents had to stay in Ukraine,” police spokesperson Denisa Bardyova told AFP. “The boy was cared for by many, be it policemen, soldiers, customs officers or volunteers and various religious or civil organisations.”

Russian troops attacked the Zaporizhzhia site, Europe’s biggest nuclear power plant, which creates around 20% of Ukraine’s electricity, in the early hours of Friday. They have since taken control of the facility.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Your toilet paper roll is slimming down

The changes are subtle and might evade less discerning shoppers. But retail industry experts say we could see more consumer products start shrinking in size or quantity – or both – because of rising costs.
I've watched it happen to Snickers bars and everything else, for decades.
The product will go through several cycles of shrinkage while holding the same price.
Then at some point price goes up, but Hey! Now Even Bigger! And Better, of course.

The toilet paper folks have lots of ways to do it!

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
Things that make you go hmmmmm

52 percent of democrats would flee USA if it was invaded.

florduh

Well duh, the republicans have all the weapons...

You obviously haven't been to my house :lol:

But that poll is stupid. Everyone's a big tough guy until the shooting starts. Something tells me that the most pampered, out of shape humans to ever live wouldn't exactly make a fearsome fighting force.

This is all just jerking off though. No one is ever invading America, because it has nukes. Rule #1 for having a country is: never, ever give up your nukes. Ukraine is learning that the hard way. And our old friend Gadhafi learned it in the hardest way imaginable.

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
Well duh, the republicans have all the weapons...

I just wanna know where they're going to run to? You have to have a safe place to run that will accept you. Anyone invading us is likely to be crossing our land borders. So the plan is to run towards the invaders and into the lands they already conquered. Yeah definitely sounds like a well thought out plan. Air travel wont be an option either. Maybe if they plan on running, now is the time! Someone needs to let them know.

Babylon Drifter,

BrianTL

Westchester, NY

I generally disregard polls and consider them really unreliable... but it's not really a secret that our armed forces as a whole are made up of mostly right-leaning young men and women, and the majority of gun owners lean right...safe to assume those types of people are more likely to stay and fight

Then you got the folks who are terrified of being in the same room as a firearm, they tend to lean left, and wouldn't have much more than a stapler to defend against an invasion

Math adds up to me on this one

florduh

I generally disregard polls and consider them really unreliable... but it's not really a secret that our armed forces as a whole are made up of mostly right-leaning young men and women,

For every candidate in the 2020 race, the CRP maintains a list of the 20 companies or institutions whose employees have given the most money to his or her campaign. Remarkably, the U.S. Army, the U.S. Navy, the U.S. Air Force, the Department of Defense, and the Department of Veterans Affairs all separately appear on Sanders’ list, comprising 5 of his top 20. The largest service branch, the U.S. Army, comes in at number 11, with $65,395 in total donations. That’s just behind Walmart, whose employees gave $69,523.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY

I'm not really seeing any obvious points there. Doesn't really mean much to me, especially the VA. The branches, D.O.D., and the VA all employ civilians as well, who I wouldn't consider part of the "armed forces" as it pertains to my previous comment

Plus, Bernie had his own decent following so that part doesn't surprise me. He was like the underdog that a lot of people wanted to see come through...especially after it came out that Hillary and the DNC rigged the primaries to favor Hillary

Donna Brazile's op-ed in Politico is the equivalent of taking the smoldering embers of the 2016 primary and throwing some gasoline on them. Just about everything she says in the piece will inflame Sanders's passionate supporters who were already suspicious of the Democratic establishment and already had reason to believe — based on leaked DNC emails — that the committee wasn't as neutral in the primary as it was supposed to be.

Makes sense to me that Bernie's supporters went heavy on the donations come 2020

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist

Those numbers reflect the new military that no longer has an influx of the hard core patriots because they don't want to be in a non tactical clown show.

It's a sign of the times, our culture (thus our military) is now watered down to be all inclusive. Bring the military back to its purpose (kicking ass and being tactically competent) and you'll see those donations vanish. Right now with the new woke military/ Emma recruitment commercials warfighters are fleeing the military in droves.

Last edited:

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Those numbers reflect the new military that no longer has an influx of the hard core patriots because they don't want to be in a non tactical clown show.

It's a sign of the times, our culture (thus our r military) is now watered down to be all inclusive. Bring the military back to its purpose (kicking ass and being tactically competent) and you'll see those donations vanish. Right now with the new woke military/ Emma recruitment commercials warfighters are fleeing the military in droves.

Also very true... hard to convince experienced warfighters to stick around when they're seeing the military they knew and loved transition from hours of tactical combat training to hours of PowerPoint sensitivity training.

shredder

Hmmmm all right, no surprise it's a Newsmax source, and a right wing pollster.

florduh

I trust this story about a rich fuck stealing $188k from poor people will get as much play as the story about the homeless guy who shoplifted $100 worth of crap from Walgreens in SF.

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
Hmmmm all right, no surprise it's a Newsmax source, and a right wing pollster.

Yawn, really? You disagree that its likely the majority of Democrats will flee when when Russian or Chinese cluster bombs begin detonation in thier neighborhood? I'm pretty sure the numbers will be a lot higher than 52% regardless of political affiliation (or which choice they made in a poll before the first explosion). I posted the article with tongue in cheek because it was a poll with laughable numbers, hence the hmmmm. (if 3 percent of the population stays to fight it will be a miracle).

Most importantly, please point me to the 100 percent acceptable and honest non biased new sources you are betting your life on. You're complaining about my news source so please tell me which news I am supposed to trust. They all have an agenda and none of thier agendas include a happy ending for the common people on the planet.

Last edited:

florduh

when when Russian or Chinese cluster bombs begin detonation in thier neighborhood?

This is why that's a dumb poll. America will never ever, ever, ever be "invaded". Might get nuked. But we'll never be invaded. So when you're lonely at home in the middle of the day and a pollster calls, why not act like a tough guy. Your mouth is writing checks you know you'll never have to actually cash.

Also, Newsmax wrote an article about the story, because it will get clicks with their audience. But the pollster was Quinnipiac. If anything, that's a lib pollster.

I kind of feel like every poll is "let's see what people dumb/lonely enough to answer Unknown callers have to say about world events".

Last edited:

shredder

You disagree that its likely the majority of Democrats will flee when when Russian or Chinese cluster bombs begin detonation in thier neighborhood?

None of us know how we'd act. I'd hope we'd act as Americans.

What I pointed out was a very slanted poll and source.

Where I live everyone has guns, it's a rural thing, but our township officials are all democrats, despite all the trump flags, thems the facts. At least here.

Top Bottom