Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

vapviking

Old & In the Way
That’s the thing. It’s either fake outrage or just blind hypocrisy…but Spotify and Rogan are in the spotlight now so it’s the cool thing to do
It's not either, it is integrity. You've said you don't know very much about Neil Young. He is beholden to no one, could give a rat's ass about the attention, and certainly doesn't need Spotify for anything.

So far, the musicians exiting (minus Nickelback) have all be friends with intertwined careers that go back to the early '60's. They understand what social change is, and don't suffer blowhards. Neil was a founding father of Farm Aid festival in 1985; that's still going strong, helping farmers.

Joe Rogan has built a career on being outspoken and sensational, going back to Fear Factor. Some bs is, by nature, going to ooze out of all that.

I disagree about the censorship though. By trying to strong arm a company saying, "its me or him" - that is effectively trying to censor somebody. I dont see any other way to look at it when people are trying to force companies into removing somebody from their platform because you don't like what they're saying. They're literally trying to shut him up.
Not strong-arming anybody, just making a choice to leave, based on Spotify's prior choice - which involved giving Rogan a platform in the first place. I don't see how you think the company is being bullied.

When Young told Trump to cease and desist using "Rockin' in the Free World" (and other songs of his), was that strong-arming or censorship? He would not have given permission, even if he'd been asked. Artists are free to choose with whom - or what - they associate with, and what store they sell their wares out of.

florduh

I disagree about the censorship though. By trying to strong arm a company saying, "its me or him" - that is effectively trying to censor somebody. I dont see any other way to look at it when people are trying to force companies into removing somebody from their platform because you don't like what they're saying. They're literally trying to shut him up.

If the artists leaving Spotify are trying to censor Rogan, they're going about it in a really bad way. It's not like Spotify dropping Rogan would lead to him going away forever. JRE would just go from being available on one app, to every podcasting app. His audience and reach would go up.

I do think it's totally fair for artists to say they don't want to be associated with Rogan. That's freedom too.

I find the obsession with Rogan a bit amusing. He's hardly one of the biggest purveyors of bullshit over the past two years. Getting rid of him would improve nothing. But he does spread bullshit, often. Here's what he tweeted right after he "apologized" for the whole Neil Young thing...

FKejpvKXsAQa2Fe

Except, Reuters made a mistake.

FKejpvHWUAEzii6

That correction was on the article, before Rogan posted it. This wasn't even "news". Ivermectin has always shown "antiviral effect" in test tubes. Unfortunately multiple RCT's show it is ineffective at treating VID in actual human bodies. Eventually, he deleted the tweet after getting absolutely cumstered by people telling him to read the fucking article. But not before 100k liked it, and 20k retweeted it. Yeah, Reuters fucked up. But they had the decency to correct themselves. Joe was happy enough to just leave his millions of followers with a totally false impression. Who is the faker news here?

The entire JRE for the past year and a half has basically been: 9 out of 10 doctors say x. Joe: "well that 10th doctor has really got to be on to something here!" Joe then applies maximum skepticism with the 9 doctors, and total gullibility with the 10th.

I don't agree with censorship. Rogan should be free to say whatever he's gonna say. Others should be free to point out that he's totally in over his head on this topic. Given my long experience with JRE, I really wish that if Joe was gonna push alternative cures to VID, he just would've recommended weed. Instead he pushes the same sort of bullshit the talk radio guys my dad listens to are pushing. Sad to see.

Edit: I've said it before and I'll say it again. Joe needs to have Bill Burr back on to slap him across the face again.

"Joe, let's not start this bullshit. I'm not gonna sit here with no medical degree, listening to you with no medical degree, with an American flag behind you, smoking a cigar, acting like we know what's up better than the CDC."

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Tired of seeing people misuse "censorhsip" and "freedom of speech" arguments about this.

First, no one is being censored and no one is suggesting censorship. Second, there is no right to freedom of speech here. Nobody has a right to a Spotify platform. If Spotify dumped Rogam today, he would still be free to express his views elsewhere, hence he would still have freedom of speech and would not be censored.

Exactly. Right to free speech DOES NOT mean right to be provided with a soap-box/platform. This is just that free market speaking, by others using their own freedom of speech/expression. And your right to free speech does not mean that you have a right to no consequences.

I disagree about the censorship though. By trying to strong arm a company saying, "its me or him" - that is effectively trying to censor somebody.

I strongly disagree. Censorship is when the government forcefully prevents you from using your freedom of speech/expression.

However, when others decide not to do business with you or others you do business with because they feel that your product causes harm, then that's just them using their freedom of speech to respond to your use of your freedom of speech. No one is being censored here. It's freedom of speech/expression doing its thing in both directions.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
It looks more like the CEO is trying to justify his company’s greed. Again it’s their company, they can say what is allowed and what isn’t. No one is putting a ball gag in Ronan’s mouth (although thousands would love to).

I'm sure the CEO is looking at the numbers and of course that is playing into his decision... if he thought it would work out better for the company's bottom line to give Rogan the boot, I have no doubts he would do it. It's all about the money.

It's not either, it is integrity. You've said you don't know very much about Neil Young. He is beholden to no one, could give a rat's ass about the attention, and certainly doesn't need Spotify for anything.

I really don't think it's integrity. If it were all about integrity, I think Florduh hit the nail on the head

Although, if they only want to associate with companies that "balance concern for humanity with commerce", surely they're pulling their content from Amazon, a company that literally does human sacrifice for commerce. And Apple. At the bottom of every one of Apple's supply chains is a child slave, who has to crawl into tiny crevices to mine rare earth minerals.

Not strong-arming anybody, just making a choice to leave, based on Spotify's prior choice - which involved giving Rogan a platform in the first place. I don't see how you think the company is being bullied.

By saying to Spotify, "me or him, you pick" that's an ultimatum no matter how you look at it. You're making Spotify say, who is more valuable to us? Obviously, Young is hoping that Spotify think's they need Young more than Rogan.

If it was just a choice to leave, the person in question would just leave without making a big deal out of it. Without saying you can't have us both, if you keep him, you lose me. If you don't want to be associated with Rogan or Spotify, then great - just leave. Don't make Spotify pick who they want to keep.

When Young told Trump to cease and desist using "Rockin' in the Free World" (and other songs of his), was that strong-arming or censorship? He would not have given permission, even if he'd been asked. Artists are free to choose with whom - or what - they associate with, and what store they sell their wares out of.

That's just business to me. I wouldn't consider that to be either strong arming or censoring.

I fully support an artist's right to choose who they do business with, associate with, and how they license their music. Obviously that's the artist's choice, as their music is their property/product.

Young filed a lawsuit against Trump for this, but I don't know how that ended up. Last I heard, he had no legal ground to stand on and apparently he dropped the suit voluntarily.

I couldn't tell you shit about copyright and licensing so I really don't know how that works. Legally I don't know who is in the right there. However as an overall concept I don't have any issue with Young telling Trump (or anybody) not to use his music. Anybody should have the right to chose who they do business with, and by extension, "refuse service" to whoever they choose. If Young wants to refuse service to Trumps campaign, good for him.

If the artists leaving Spotify are trying to censor Rogan, they're going about it in a really bad way. It's not like Spotify dropping Rogan would lead to him going away forever. JRE would just go from being available on one app, to every podcasting app. His audience and reach would go up.

I do think it's totally fair for artists to say they don't want to be associated with Rogan. That's freedom too.

Of course it's fair for artists to say they don't want to be associated with whoever. It's fair for anybody to pick who they associate with.

Dropping Rogan wouldn't lead to him going away forever, and yes his audience and reach would go up if he wasn't on Spotify exclusively.

It's the whole idea of the "cancel culture" for me. Which in itself, is censorship. Just because he can go elsewhere and reach more people doesn't change the fact that somebody is trying to shut somebody else up because they disagree.

I find the obsession with Rogan a bit amusing. He's hardly one of the biggest purveyors of bullshit over the past two years. Getting rid of him would improve nothing. But he does spread bullshit, often. Here's what he tweeted right after he "apologized" for the whole Neil Young thing...

FKejpvKXsAQa2Fe

Except, Reuters made a mistake.

FKejpvHWUAEzii6

That correction was on the article, before Rogan posted it. This wasn't even "news". Ivermectin has always shown "antiviral effect" in test tubes. Unfortunately multiple RCT's show it is ineffective at treating VID in actual human bodies. Eventually, he deleted the tweet after getting absolutely cumstered by people telling him to read the fucking article. But not before 100k liked it, and 20k retweeted it. Yeah, Reuters fucked up. But they had the decency to correct themselves. Joe was happy enough to just leave his millions of followers with a totally false impression. Who is the faker news here?

The entire JRE for the past year and a half has basically been: 9 out of 10 doctors say x. Joe: "well that 10th doctor has really got to be on to something here!" Joe then applies maximum skepticism with the 9 doctors, and total gullibility with the 10th.

I don't agree with censorship. Rogan should be free to say whatever he's gonna say. Others should be free to point out that he's totally in over his head on this topic. Given my long experience with JRE, I really wish that if Joe was gonna push alternative cures to VID, he just would've recommended weed. Instead he pushes the same sort of bullshit the talk radio guys my dad listens to are pushing. Sad to see.

Edit: I've said it before and I'll say it again. Joe needs to have Bill Burr back on to slap him across the face again.

"Joe, let's not start this bullshit. I'm not gonna sit here with no medical degree, listening to you with no medical degree, with an American flag behind you, smoking a cigar, acting like we know what's up better than the CDC."

Agreed with all of this.

Right to free speech DOES NOT mean right to be provided with a soap-box/platform. This is just that free market speaking, by others using their own freedom of speech/expression. And your right to free speech does not mean that you have a right to no consequences.

Agreed completely

I strongly disagree. Censorship is when the government forcefully prevents you from using your freedom of speech/expression.

Yes, that is an example of censorship, and the worst kind of it. However private companies can censor too. Individuals can censor individuals... it doesn't have to be a government or a corporate entity. The difference is, Freedom of Speech does not apply to anything other than being censored by the gov.

However, when others decide not to do business with you or others you do business with because they feel that your product causes harm, then that's just them using their freedom of speech to respond to your use of your freedom of speech. No one is being censored here. It's freedom of speech/expression doing its thing in both directions.

Here's the thing... if Spotify decided on their own, that they wanted to cut ties with Rogan (or anybody), they're entitled to. If they felt his show changed to the point that they're not comfortable airing it on their platform, they're entitled to that too. If they didn't want to business with him in the first place, that is their choice. It's fully within Spotifys right to chose who they do business with, as it should be.

That isn't what we're talking about though. It's one person (well, a group of people now) threatening to pull their music and terminate their relationship with a company, unless that company chooses stop airing a show. They're leveraging their value against his and making the company choose. All of this because they literally believe his voice shouldn't be heard, because they disagree. That, in itself, is attempting to censor and is wrong.

Let me ask you this. If the person being targeted here was, I dont know, the biggest legal marijuana activist out there... and a group of old, white, wrinkly conservatives were trying to financially pressure companies to stop airing their podcast, what would you say?

BrianTL,
Reactions: Summer

Ramahs

Let me ask you this. If the person being targeted here was, I dont know, the biggest legal marijuana activist out there... and a group of old, white, wrinkly conservatives were trying to financially pressure companies to stop airing their podcast, what would you say?

I'd say let's keep fighting back, and get better info out there and make moves to change minds on the subject till nobody cares what those old curmudgeonly fuckers have to say about it, and they fade into obscurity. Just like we today laugh at the old alcohol prohibitionists who who did the same thing way back in the day.

What I wouldn't say is that I'm being censored. That would make me look incredulous.

Then eventually I'll get to say "By Felicia. We won and you lost. And you were right. We are slowly stealing this country from under the noses of people like you, and turning it into what you'd always feared it becoming the most. And there is now nothing that you and yours can do to stop it any more."

Then I'd get to give myself a nice pat on the back as I watch and record them losing their temper in a child-like tantrum that I can now put on Youtube and monetize, which could then be the momentum needed to start a social media campaign to publicly shame those people into retirement till nobody will work with them any more (Just for good measure, since those sick bastards did try to destroy my life and many other innocent people's lives who didn't do anything wrong).
Mood Jarred Kjack GIF by The Dungeon Run

Berzzerkker

Form Energy’s iron air batteries rust and ‘derust’ iron to store power​

“It became very clear that although lithium-ion was cheap, and continues to get cheaper—and will be deployed at large scales on the grid—it was still too expensive to go after the biggest opportunity and the biggest opportunity on the grid, which was being able to be cheap enough so you can fully replace coal plants, natural gas plants, with renewable,” says Form Energy CEO Mateo Jaramillo, who launched the startup in 2017 after leaving Tesla.

Iron-air batteries, they concluded, made the most sense, and had been proven to work in earlier tests at universities. Each of the company’s batteries, roughly the size of a washing machine, pulls in oxygen and converts iron inside to rust, and then charges by using electricity to “unrust,” turning the rust back into iron. As the iron rusts again, it generates a current. When rust happens naturally on something like a wrought-iron fence, it’s a “one-way battery,” Jaramillo says. “By providing electricity to that anode, we’re essentially driving off that rust and returning the iron back to its metallic state.”

vapviking

Old & In the Way
By saying to Spotify, "me or him, you pick" that's an ultimatum no matter how you look at it. You're making Spotify say, who is more valuable to us? Obviously, Young is hoping that Spotify think's they need Young more than Rogan.
I don't think every situation distills down to the dollar. Sometime a business may feel inclined to make an ethical set of choices; at worst, Young is encouraging that.
If it was just a choice to leave, the person in question would just leave without making a big deal out of it. Without saying you can't have us both, if you keep him, you lose me. If you don't want to be associated with Rogan or Spotify, then great - just leave. Don't make Spotify pick who they want to keep.
It's not like there was some kerfuffle or legal action. Young, in a letter, told his lawyer to get his music off of Spotify and that's what happened. In that letter (public for a day) he told his lawyer the 'they can have Rogan or me' part. Young has not tried to force Spotify into anything. Is this what cancel culture is, an artist walking away from a business relationship?

Back to what you mentioned earlier, I'm also very frustrated by the music scene and how the form is presented. I don't do any of the services except occasional youtubes, I'm a former user of iTunes, Amazon Music, Spotify...
I have a big library - funny, it's all stuff I like! I also spend way more time playing instruments and singing than I do listening to music media.

florduh

Seems extremely ironic to smear Rogan‘s podcasts as “misinformation“ when the tell-lie-vision news has literally been wrong about absolutely EVERYTHING, is the cherry on the proverbial double scoop.

This is my general feeling on all the Rogan discourse too. Say what you want about Joe, but he never helped lie us into a fraud war that cost trillions of dollars and killed like a million people. No, that was the NYT, CNN, Fox, MSNBC.

Shit, I can't really imagine being a regular MSNBC viewer, getting mad about Rogan, but just sitting there with a smile while Nicole Wallace tells you what's true about the world. Wallace was Bush's comms director while he was perpetrating the Iraq fraud. In any just society, she'd probably still be in prison for being one of the most destructive liars in history. Yet there she is. Play-acting as a brave truth teller on national TV.

Last week, when NBC was running stories about Joe Rogan spreading misinformation they also added this writer to their stable:

51Pbv9D43RL.jpg

FK7W7hsXsAgi5m8

checkyourlibido

I'd be ok with Joe if he was 30 years older. I tend to give older people a pass on their racism. But Joe should know better. Or at least know when to shut tf up. But let him talk. And if someone doesn't want to be associated with him, that's their right as well. I respect people who take a stand against racism in all forms.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@florduh looks like you we’re able to quote me right before I was censored with my entire post deleted, must be that very old saying “the truth hurts”

Respect to ya brother! Keep shining the light on the darkness 🌕

florduh

I'd be ok with Joe if he was 30 years older. I tend to give older people a pass on their racism. But Joe should know better. Or at least know when to shut tf up. But let him talk. And if someone doesn't want to be associated with him, that's their right as well. I respect people who take a stand against racism in all forms.

Joe's like 60. As far as super rich, 60-something white dudes go, his "racism levels" are pretty low. In an earlier post I think I said I was bummed out because Joe was starting to turn into Rush Limbaugh. That's totally off base. Limbaugh used to gleefully read out the names of men who died from AIDS, with a lisp in his voice. Rogan can be very gullible at times. And he's not exactly a genius. But he isn't hateful.

I'll put it this way. My dad's about Rogan's age. I'd give my left nut for him to be as "woke" as Joe.

@florduh looks like you we’re able to quote me right before I was censored with my entire post deleted, must be that very old saying “the truth hurts”

FK97DeOUYAQSgxc

checkyourlibido

Joe's like 60. As far as super rich, 60-something white dudes go, his "racism levels" are pretty low. In an earlier post I think I said I was bummed out because Joe was starting to turn into Rush Limbaugh. That's totally off base. Limbaugh used to gleefully read out the names of men who died from AIDS, with a lisp in his voice. Rogan can be very gullible at times. And he's not exactly a genius. But he isn't hateful.

I'll put it this way. My dad's about Rogan's age. I'd give my left nut for him to be as "woke" as Joe.

FK97DeOUYAQSgxc
He's 54, I looked it up before posting. Joe Rogan was 7 months old when MLK was murdered. I think he grew up in a time where he should know better or at least shut tf up. I believe he grew up in San Francisco, Gainesville, and outside Boston. It's not like he grew up in the deep south and never saw or learned any different. Of course if I were to guess, Gainesville probably had a huge impact on him, lol. It's not just the use of the N word. He is bizarre with his thoughts on black people. Pretty creepy like when he told a biracial person that they had the best of both worlds, black body and white mind...

Either way, I agree with you on one point, I had a big LOL because my dad is so racist when he's not in public. Not violent physically, but a savage verbally.

florduh

He's 54, I looked it up before posting. Joe Rogan was 7 months old when MLK was murdered. I think he grew up in a time where he should know better or at least shut tf up. I believe he grew up in San Francisco, Gainesville, and outside Boston. It's not like he grew up in the deep south and never saw or learned any different. Of course if I were to guess, Gainesville probably had a huge impact on him, lol. It's not just the use of the N word. He is bizarre with his thoughts on black people. Pretty creepy like when he told a biracial person that they had the best of both worlds, black body and white mind...

Either way, I agree with you on one point, I had a big LOL because my dad is so racist when he's not in public. Not violent physically, but a savage verbally.

I'm preface this by saying I'm very white. Like, shockingly so given that I've spent most of my adult life in SoCal or Floriduh. But over the years I listened to him, I never got the impression he had any hateful feelings toward black people. He's made some really shitty jokes though. I listened to his apology video, and felt it was pretty sincere. People should be allowed to fuck up and apologize. That's how growth happens.

I might be totally off base. At the same time, there's no comparison between Joe and someone like Tucker Carlson. How old is that little shit? I still think Joe is significantly less racist than average for his age range. Might be wrong though.

As far as my old man... he's definitely mellowed out over the years a bit. But holy shit some of the things I heard growing up, lol.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
My dad used words that would curl your hair but he never understood the weight of those words. When he talked about himself/us he would use slurs too. My father was one of the sweetest people you'd ever want to meet and he didn't have a mean bone in his body for anyone. My mother and grandmother would say things like "I'm not prejudiced against "them" which always made me cringe but they believed they were being good people. I also knew many folks who were deliberately spewing hate when those words were coming out of their mouths.

My wife is Spanish and my mother, father and grandmother thought the sun rose each day just for my wife. They loved her completely. Maybe more than me. Still, there were times that the term "spic" would come out. One time my father used that term in front of my wife and I called him out on it.....my wife said "Don't talk to your father like that. Its just how he talks. He doesn't mean it to be hurtful and it doesn't bother me". My wife hugged my Dad and told him not to worry about it. She was right but it could be embarrassing at times.

What I'm alluding to is that I was exposed to those words and as a white person, knew they were not to be used. Joe Rogan is 10 years younger than I am which I believe means he should have known better. Maybe his use of those words weren't meant to be hateful....in that case I'd classify it as arrogant/entitled.

Ramahs

Maybe his use of those words weren't meant to be hateful...

Doesn't matter. One can be being a racist even if that was not their intention.

What makes the difference is how they act when it's explained to them that they are being racist and why what they did was racist. Are they open to learn, apologize, and learn to do better in the future...or they going to be an asshole, refuse to learn, and make shit-head excuses about how that's not what they meant, and that they have never none anything racist?

If it's the former, then they seem like they can probably learn and are more decent inside than not. Let's give 'em a chance.
If it's the latter, then fuck em. Let em feel the societal consequences of their actions if they don't want to learn and don't care about the harm that they are causing.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

Respect to ya brother! Keep shining the light on the darkness 🌕

Your post was removed for Covid content. You've been around long enough to know that commenting on a moderator's decision can earn you a warning point; however, I'm giving you a pass this time. You get just one.

If you have an issue with a moderator decision, take it up in a PM.

florduh

DOJ Seizes $3.6 Billion in Bitcoin Stolen in Bitfinex Hack

The U.S. seized about $3.6 billion in Bitcoin stolen during a 2016 hack of the Bitfinex currency exchange -- the largest financial seizure ever -- and arrested two people, the Justice Department said.

The DOJ is just going after an epic girlboss out getting her bag...

"Here's how I became a 22 year old millionaire WITHOUT rich parents, a fancy education, or any connections..."

high quality GIF

Top Bottom