Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

Radwin Bodnic

I think the conclusion is that we're fucked.
guillotine-(photo-rl)-1618210090.jpg

186°

The moment we, the poor, threaten the rich with guillotines the rich will start arming themselves with personal nuclear bombs, won't they?
How about we start with a good old general strike? I didn't really follow the "crowdstrike" news, but the name alone seems like a lost opportunity for the crowds to just stop working.
BTW: I loved Bernie's framing for income over 1 billion $ to be taxed at 100%: "People can make it $999 million" :clap:
PS: In Europe there's a petition right now to tax the rich: https://eci.ec.europa.eu/038/public/#/screen/home

Radwin Bodnic

The moment we, the poor, threaten the rich with guillotines the rich will start arming themselves with personal nuclear bombs, won't they?
If they havent already.
How about we start with a good old general strike? I didn't really follow the "crowdstrike" news, but the name alone seems like a lost opportunity for the crowds to just stop working.
Even a strike can be violently repressed. It they want the working class to go back to work then they will force it to do so.

Even boycott is getting harder to achieve. Every law is backing you from living a simple life without much of an income. And ultimately, getting employed is feeding the rich.

186°

Wanna become a solarpunk with me?
The themes of fuck combustion 🔥 and solarpunk 🌍 align quite well :)

Taken from: https://www.re-des.org/es/a-solarpunk-manifesto/
  1. We are solarpunks because optimism has been taken away from us and we are trying to take it back.
  2. We are solarpunks because the only other options are denial or despair.
  3. At its core, Solarpunk is a vision of a future that embodies the best of what humanity can achieve: a post-scarcity, post-hierarchy, post-capitalistic world where humanity sees itself as part of nature and clean energy replaces fossil fuels.
  4. The “punk” in Solarpunk is about rebellion, counterculture, post-capitalism, decolonialism and enthusiasm. It is about going in a different direction than the mainstream, which is increasingly going in a scary direction.
  5. Solarpunk is a movement as much as it is a genre: it is not just about the stories, it is also about how we can get there.
  6. Solarpunk embraces a diversity of tactics: there is no single right way to do solarpunk. Instead, diverse communities from around the world adopt the name and the ideas, and build little nests of self-sustaining revolution.
  7. Solarpunk provides a valuable new perspective, a paradigm and a vocabulary through which to describe one possible future. Instead of embracing retrofuturism, solarpunk looks completely to the future. Not an alternative future, but a possible future.
  8. Our futurism is not nihilistic like cyberpunk and it avoids steampunk’s potentially quasi-reactionary tendencies: it is about ingenuity, generativity, independence, and community.
  9. Solarpunk emphasizes environmental sustainability and social justice.
  10. Solarpunk is about finding ways to make life more wonderful for us right now, and also for the generations that follow us.
  11. Our future must involve repurposing and creating new things from what we already have. Imagine “smart cities” being junked in favor of smart citizenry.
  12. Solarpunk recognizes the historical influence politics and science fiction have had on each other.
  13. Solarpunk recognizes science fiction as not just entertainment but as a form of activism.
  14. Solarpunk wants to counter the scenarios of a dying earth, an insuperable gap between rich and poor, and a society controlled by corporations. Not in hundreds of years, but within reach.
  15. Solarpunk is about youth maker culture, local solutions, local energy grids, ways of creating autonomous functioning systems. It is about loving the world.
  16. Solarpunk culture includes all cultures, religions, abilities, sexes, genders and sexual identities.
  17. Solarpunk is the idea of humanity achieving a social evolution that embraces not just mere tolerance, but a more expansive compassion and acceptance.
  18. The visual aesthetics of Solarpunk are open and evolving. As it stands, it is a mash-up of the following:
    1. 1800s age-of-sail/frontier living (but with more bicycles)
    2. Creative reuse of existing infrastructure (sometimes post-apocalyptic, sometimes present-weird)
    3. Appropriate technology
    4. Art Nouveau
    5. Hayao Miyazaki
    6. Jugaad-style innovation from the non-Western world
    7. High-tech backends with simple, elegant outputs
  19. Solarpunk is set in a future built according to principles of New Urbanism or New Pedestrianism and environmental sustainability.
  20. Solarpunk envisions a built environment creatively adapted for solar gain, amongst other things, using different technologies. The objective is to promote self sufficiency and living within natural limits.
  21. In Solarpunk we’ve pulled back just in time to stop the slow destruction of our planet. We’ve learned to use science wisely, for the betterment of our life conditions as part of our planet. We’re no longer overlords. We’re caretakers. We’re gardeners.
  22. Solarpunk:
    1. is diverse
    2. has room for spirituality and science to coexist
    3. is beautiful
    4. can happen. Now

:peace:

florduh

They run on fixing problems, but if they actually fixed them, they would have to find something else to run on.

That's not why they don't fix problems. They don't fix problems because fixing them would either mildly inconvenience some rich guy, or rich guys in general. Our government and politicians work very well for the wealthy. Not sure why rich people bitch and moan so much.

What we're seeing nowadays is more like majority of voters aligns with what billionaires want... thanks to mass media...

Yeah, that's the crux of it. It wouldn't solve everything, but Cable News should be illegal. Letting billionaires pay millionaires to manufacture consent on behalf of the billionaire class 24/7 seems bad to me :shrug:

Even a strike can be violently repressed. It they want the working class to go back to work then they will force it to do so.

This happened in the late 19th and early 20th century in America. I think it might be problematic today. The United States only really "works" because there's an illusion of freedumb. I don't know what would happen today if there were National Guard troops pointing rifles at Amazon workers to get them back into unairconditioned warehouses.

UAW President Shawn Fein is planning a Mass Strike among the major unions on May Day 2028.

florduh

lol imagine thinking rich people need their taxes cut when they can drop $1 million per year on absolute bullshit.

If you're one of these "inflation is high because the gubernment printed too much money" people, you should be begging the government to take money from rich people and set it on fire. Reduce the 'ol money supply.

Instead, many of them are begging for more tax cuts for rich people. Even though the very Economics Rules they claim to worship say tax cuts are inflationary.

Chat, is it good that basically every year there's a new "hottest day since they invented thermometers"?

chillAtGVC

"The hottest day since at least 1940". Seriously? In climate terms (not weather) that is barely even a blink of an eye. This is just fear mongering for people who don't know science or history.

chillAtGVC,

186°

"The hottest day since at least 1940". Seriously? In climate terms (not weather) that is barely even a blink of an eye. This is just fear mongering for people who don't know science or history.
Are you serious? Are there still people who can just ignore this? Or am I missing the irony? You said "a blink of an eye" – well, you pointed at the main problem! Never were there such massive changes in such a short time span without catastrophic changes for living organisms. Sad to inform you, that we're fucked if we don't start acting immediately. But (as we have to end with a positive note so nobody gets frozen in apathy) there are things that can be done to stop the climate catastrophe: keep fossil fuels under the ground.

florduh

"The hottest day since at least 1940". Seriously? In climate terms (not weather) that is barely even a blink of an eye.
This is just fear mongering for people who don't know science or history.

This organization has data going back to 1940. Not back to the beginning of time. So that's what they're using for comparison.

I'd recommend reading a little past the headline.

KsbgdIuFOIbo.png

chillAtGVC

Yes, I am serious. And I have a hard sciences university education (climate is a soft science). I majored in maths. I can read and fully understand the statistics. I remember the mini ice age scare of the 70s. Most of the warming we are seeing is a recovery from that period. What passes now as "climate science" is a religion. Consensus is not science, science does not work by consensus. It was warm enough a few centuries ago for England to have a wine industry. Check the current climate in the UK. Yes, the climate changes. It always has (ever hear of an ice age?). It always will.

To the extent that things are warming long term, and the change from Global Warming to Climate Change suggests that is it not, we are never going to prevent anything by avoiding fossil fuels. That path is sheer idiocy. We need to focus our efforts on changing things to reflect the current anticipated climate. People will do what they always have: move and adapt. If you have not seen this already, Konstantin Kisin does an excellent job of explaining why any attempts to corral climate changes are futile:

chillAtGVC,

EarthworldTim

Yes, I am serious. And I have a hard sciences university education (climate is a soft science). I majored in maths. I can read and fully understand the statistics. I remember the mini ice age scare of the 70s. Most of the warming we are seeing is a recovery from that period. What passes now as "climate science" is a religion. Consensus is not science, science does not work by consensus. It was warm enough a few centuries ago for England to have a wine industry. Check the current climate in the UK. Yes, the climate changes. It always has (ever hear of an ice age?). It always will.

To the extent that things are warming long term, and the change from Global Warming to Climate Change suggests that is it not, we are never going to prevent anything by avoiding fossil fuels. That path is sheer idiocy. We need to focus our efforts on changing things to reflect the current anticipated climate. People will do what they always have: move and adapt. If you have not seen this already, Konstantin Kisin does an excellent job of explaining why any attempts to corral climate changes are futile:
Mmmmmm...
Kool Aid Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Even this guy would be scared shitless his ice cube guts are gonna melt any day now.

EarthworldTim,

chillAtGVC

This is hilarious because you claim to be looking at evidence and literally point to a video from a comedian complaining about wokeness. How is this remotely serious?
You obviously did not listen to it. You really, really should. Ignore the woke comments (as accurate as they are) and focus on his explaining why stopping fossil fuels etc is futile.

chillAtGVC,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
You obviously did not listen to it. You really, really should. Ignore the woke comments (as accurate as they are) and focus on his explaining why stopping fossil fuels etc is futile.
Why is a comedian a better resource than the consensus of nearly the entire scientific community and frankly, the direct research that can be read easily online?

chillAtGVC

tolMmmmmm...
Kool Aid Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Even this guy would be scared shitless his ice cube guts are gonna melt any day now.
You are in a mass psychosis event. Fear drives people's voting habits. Fear driven voting provides political power. This is a truth dating back to the rise of government. Fear also allows for higher taxes and more grants being given to climate scientists which results in more fear. If you desire broad population control, this is a very useful feedback loop. But I don't expect you or most other people reading this thread to get out and do some reading, think and question what we are told. You are afraid, and have been told there is no need to, so you won't.

George Orwell was a bit off on the year but largely correct otherwise. Welcome to 1984!

Why is a comedian a better resource than the consensus of nearly the entire scientific community and frankly, the direct research that can be read easily online?
Again, consensus is a political thing, not a science thing. Science, real science, is hypothesis, test and gather results, analyze results, and repeat. Have you actually spent any time looking into the reasoning of the climate scientists who don't support them current Climate Change narrative too? They are real scientist with real data.

Again, watch the video. Think. He is not explaining science. He is explaining human behaviour and why the current attempts to limit climate change are futile due to human behaviour.

chillAtGVC,

florduh

Fear also allows for higher taxes and more grants being given to climate scientists which results in more fear.

I love this world where climate scientists are lying to you for money, but the oil industry is far too pure to lie about the effects of their product.

I do thank you for the blast from the past. Literally talking point after talking point straight from 2014. I feel young again. Haven't heard the "in the 70's they said there'd be an Ice Age!" line in years.

From 2014:

At no point did most scientists believe we were headed to an Ice Age. You're remembering a single Newsweek article.

I hate to break it to you, but you aren't a brave freethinker with secret knowledge. You're a mark who got bamboozled by the billions of dollars the oil industry spent to spread doubt about the very obvious reality of man made climate change.

There was a movie made about this very phenomenon...what do you know, 10 years ago!

The world's getting warmer. There's no natural explanation for this warming. Carbon Dioxide is absolutely a greenhouse gas. The observed warming correlates almost perfectly with the increase in carbon emissions.

That's it. Real simple stuff. Children understand it.

Edit: I watched enough of the Wokeness video to see what was going on. This British idiot believes in climate change, but says we shouldn't do anything about it. Which is at least a take from 2024.

Yes, China and the Third World release a lot of carbon emissions. That's where we shipped all our fucking factories to. China is also making solar panels and EV's so good, we had to slap a tariff on them.

Frankly, I don't know what this nonce is crying about. His side won. We're not going to do anywhere near enough to mitigate climate change. Congratulations.

Last edited:

florduh

I try to find better sources of information than web comics.

No, bro you'd love it it's from the mid-2010's just like your talking points.

Goddamn the nostalgia is going crazy lately. That xkcd comic, Merchants of Doubt, I'm rewatching Veep...

I remember on NYE 2019 thinking, "man.... fuck this decade. Stupid ass decade. No identity-assed decade". Now...man, those were the good 'ol days!

florduh,
Reactions: Octavia

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I think we've had enough climate change discussion in this thread. Feel free to have a ball on Xitter talking about climate, but we're not going to entertain it here on a fucking vape forum.

Thank you for your cooperation.

186°

I think we've had enough climate change discussion in this thread. Feel free to have a ball on Xitter talking about climate, but we're not going to entertain it here on a fucking vape forum.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I can accept that. It is not a forum/thread about climate change. But on the other side: when was this thread the last time really only about vaping? Was it ever? I did kind of struggle in the last months to draw the line for myself regarding which topics to talk about here and which not. I also was annoyed by many posts I have zero interest in. For myself I made this rule: I write about vaping (obviously) but also stuff that I can somehow (creatively) link to the slogan "fuck combustion". With the example of climate change it is quite on the nose, I think, as "fuck combustion" would be the most important thing that stops emitting harmful gases and as the world seems to be addicted to oil like I was to nicotine before vaping. My point is: we talk about thousands of topics in the non-vaping threads, and I don't understand why climate change couldn't be one of them. Too controversial? In the science world the basics of human made climate change aren't controversial, at all (only when getting into specifics the discussions are getting heated, e.g. papers are written and powerpoints are shown). Well then we have to ban any posts about the US election for example, as well? I guess it is about the discussion getting out of hand, not about the topic as such, right? So the next time a guy claims climate change is mass hysteria I simply have to shut up about it? Shall we just stick with posting links? Are comments ok? Can we discuss in other threads?

Last edited:
Top Bottom