• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Insta Heat (aka iHeat)

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I had the good fortune to work with Ryan at RBT on the Mi-log project which gave me access to his high surface area heaters in exchange for a voltage controller with digital display and cord set solution. A suitable voltage controller was found and modified to accept plugs from a cord set. Subsequently, there was a desire for a voltage controller that was based on the OKR 50 watt chip and using a single plug cord rather than two separate plugs. While researching OKR chip circuits, I discovered a “pass through mod” that allows the use of a 12 volt supply to power a 510 cartridge.

Here is an example.

h5leJ0u.jpg

8oOlwEF.jpg

It got me to thinking that maybe it would be best to build the OKR chip into a 510 base unit so that a 510 heater cartridge could be threaded on. This approach eliminates the need for a heavy cord set between the power supply and heater. I had already been tinkering with wooden bodies for a 510 deck and 18mm glass fittings in anticipation of working with Ryan on the Mi-510 project, so the 510 cartridge was a natural progression. It had been agreed that I would be using different materials / techniques than Ryan for building my units. As such, the RBT Mi-log and the Insta Heat will now be taking separate paths.

While waiting to get more heater assemblies from RBT, I thought about other ways to connect the wires to the heater and alternate heater configurations. Maximized surface contact between the wire and the heater is desired to reduce the contact resistance which produces waste heat. Each end of the heater screen is wrapped around the end of a wire and then mechanically fastened with a crimp. The heater assembly is coiled into a spiral shape and attached to the 510 deck connections. The spiral shape prevents it from shorting out so that no insulating materials are required. The heater is a different configuration than that provided to me by RBT for the Mi-log project. The air intake holes are located on the side of the 510 heater cartridge so that no air passes through the electronics in the base section. The 510 cartridge section does not get hot during use since the majority of the heat is used for roasting. The 18mm female glass fitting has a ss debris screen and is held firmly in place with a high temperature silicone sleeve that allows for some shock absorption in the event of a fall. The 510 deck is press fit into the wood body so that no glue is required for the heater cartridge assembly.

The heat truly is instantaneous. Just push the button and start drawing hot air through the roasting tube. A potentiometer is set into the bottom cap for adjusting the output voltage / power level. The bottom section is 2” tall and the top section is 2.25” tall for a total of 4.25” which is the same height as a Heat Island unit.

It works with 19/22 mm male end roasting tubes.

Here are a few shots of the Insta Heat.

iheat01-1.jpg

iheat01-2.jpg

iheat01-3.jpg

The OKR chip connections are fairly simple for the pass through mod circuit. Butt splice connectors are crimped onto the OKR chip contacts so the connecting wires slide right in. The potentiometer is connected directly to the OKR chip and press fit into the bottom cap. A silicone sleeve holds the bottom cap in place, but I am looking for some small screws to hold it more securely. White glue would work, but then it will never come apart again.

This is the OKR chip assembly.

okrpot1.jpg

okrpot2.jpg

The assembly is about 1/2” in diameter and 1” long. About as small and simple as it can be.

The voltage range is currently about 3 to 6 volts, but can be changed by using a different value resistor.

A 12 volt power supply with a minimum of 6 amps is needed for the Insta Heat. A standard DC extension cord can be used to extend the distance from the power supply.
The heater cartridge section can be used on any mod box / mechanical mod with a 50 watt or greater capacity to make it a portable. Lower capacity boxes may provide slightly lower performance.

Insta Heat units will only be available to those on the Heat Island waiting list for now. If you aren’t on the list, please send me an email to alan@toasty-top.com so I can get you on it. The only cost is your patience.

Thanks to Ryan for inspiring me to create the Insta Heat. I hope they will be a benefit to all future owners.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Looks great ! Those high surface heaters look similar to hot air soldering/unsoldering station heaters ,it is logical that it would work great in a vaporizer,i will follow with interest :). Amazing craftsmanship ,big up to Alan !

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
damn.

why... why! why must all you people create all these amazing things that I don't have enough money to buy!

Kinda want this, as I'm not sure I'll bite on a splinter... but this... convertible thing... I could get behind that...

However I really want a glasscore HI... fffffff

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@vakedcow - I automatically put you back on the list after your last purchase. The wait time won't be so long.

Thanks @Shit Snacks . You don't have that long to wait either.

@Abysmal Vapor - Thanks for the kind words. It was a challenge to get all those connections and wires inside the base. May try to find a smaller switch that takes up a little less space.
High surface area is the way to go for instant heat.

@grokit - You are a little ways down the list too. Will try to get to you quickly.

@muunch - Sorry for so many different things to buy. I have some glass heater cover bamboo HI's available for $50.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@Crussell27 - Thanks so much. I have down on the list for one.

Here is a photo of the heater section connected to a mod box for portable use. So nice to always know the battery status and have the ability to control the power level. The body and tube are made from osage orange wood.

ooiheatmodbox.jpg

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Mmmmmm, purrrdy! What's the heat up time like on the box mod? Is it instantaneous like with the plugin base?

The heat up times are very close. I don't find much difference between them. Great results with either one.
I even tried plugging a 12 volt battery pack into the base unit and it works just like if it were plugged into a wall adapter. Allows you to use it for quite a while without having to swap batteries.
May have to order a bicycle light battery pack to see how long it will last with the Insta Heat. Would be great for camping.

The base unit will accept any 510 cartridge for battery free vaporizing.

squidmark

The heat up times are very close. I don't find much difference between them. Great results with either one.
I even tried plugging a 12 volt battery pack into the base unit and it works just like if it were plugged into a wall adapter. Allows you to use it for quite a while without having to swap batteries.
May have to order a bicycle light battery pack to see how long it will last with the Insta Heat. Would be great for camping.

The base unit will accept any 510 cartridge for battery free vaporizing.

All great news! I like this more and more. So glad I'm on the waiting list now!

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Was reading in the Project thread the other day about the possibility of an all wood 510 sleeve when I thought why not try it with the iHeat since the wood doesn't get hot anyhow. I used a piece of apple wood in case there was some hot wood taste/smell. The wood length is 2.25" and the diameter is 1". The assembly weighs just 24.8 grams. There is a 20mm hole in one end for the 510 deck and a 18mm taper in the other end. It works just the same as an iHeat with a glass insert, only smaller and there is also no hot wood taste/smell. I am pleasantly surprised with the results. No worries about breaking the female glass fitting with this one. Takes more force to dislodge the screen in the wood, which is good.
The heater coil ohms is 0.32 which gives 32 watts of power at 3.2 volts using 10 amps of current.

appleallwoodiheatmodbox.jpg

Here are some views with a 2.5" long 18mm wooden roasting tube.

appleallwoodiheatside.jpg

appleallwoodiheatend.jpg

Would probably be a good idea to have the heater part of the iHeat in the portable vaporizer section, but I'm not sure how to do that without having the same name in both sections. Are there any other vaporizers that are listed in both sections?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Was reading in the Project thread the other day about the possibility of an all wood 510 sleeve when I thought why not try it with the iHeat since the wood doesn't get hot anyhow. I used a piece of apple wood in case there was some hot wood taste/smell. The wood length is 2.25" and the diameter is 1". The assembly weighs just 24.8 grams. There is a 20mm hole in one end for the 510 deck and a 18mm taper in the other end. It works just the same as an iHeat with a glass insert, only smaller and there is also no hot wood taste/smell. I am pleasantly surprised with the results. No worries about breaking the female glass fitting with this one. Takes more force to dislodge the screen in the wood, which is good.
The heater coil ohms is 0.32 which gives 32 watts of power at 3.2 volts using 10 amps of current.

appleallwoodiheatmodbox.jpg

Here are some views with a 2.5" long 18mm wooden roasting tube.

appleallwoodiheatside.jpg

appleallwoodiheatend.jpg

Would probably be a good idea to have the heater part of the iHeat in the portable vaporizer section, but I'm not sure how to do that without having the same name in both sections. Are there any other vaporizers that are listed in both sections?

Wow all wood! Very nice, more to look forward to

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
@Alan: give it 2 names:

"Insta heat" is the corded full version
"Insta heat satellite/s" could be the portable/s
if I am not mistaken you can trigger the heater to be hotter or cooler with same use of push button.. why not differents settings for differents tastes?

And wow,you pilished it quite a lot and lade really portable (no glass), de Saint-Exupéry said: "perfection is reached not when there is nothing more to add but when there is nothing more to take away" and this is beautiful, and if I am not mistaking price stays around 100?

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks @Crussell27 There are so many more wood options with the smaller size.

@Andreaerdna - That is a good idea for the portable naming. Maybe just the Insta Heat 510 Cartridge.
The button of an unregulated mechanical mod can be used to manually control the heat.
I have tried to use the fewest parts possible. I am shooting for the price to stay around 100 for the 510 cartridge.

little maggie

How do I keep missing these. It's hard to keep up. I would like to be added to the list. Is there a way to just be automatically added to anything Alan makes?

(This is listed in the plug-in section. Is that where it belongs?)

And as aside I never got an invoice for the bamboo HI steel core we talked about.

Last edited:

Vapor Loop

How do I keep missing these. It's hard to keep up. I would like to be added to the list. Is there a way to just be automatically added to anything Alan makes?

I just happened to get SUPER lucky. I asked to be put back on the list after getting my amazing glass core H.i, My number came up about the same time I discovered this one. I myself had no idea it was also a portable at first. I said I thought it should be in both portable and desktop section , But just mentioned it here didn't go as far as bringing it up to a mod.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

And as aside I never got an invoice for the bamboo HI steel core we talked about.

Alan only has one waiting list, so no worries Mags, you are already on it :tup:

I just happened to get SUPER lucky. I asked to be put back on the list after getting my amazing glass core H.i, My number came up about the same time I discovered this one. I myself had no idea it was also a portable at first. I said I thought it should be in both portable and desktop section , But just mentioned it here didn't go as far as bringing it up to a mod.

He automatically adds you to the end of the list again after you complete your order. Built in VAS

Top Bottom