• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

JBone65

24 months coming up! We're IO OG pioneers:lol::brow::cheers::smug:
Invested $200 for a new OG in late 2016, then $85 to upgrade to the io just over 21 months ago. I probably should be celebrating what has been (all things considered) a very positive experience but now I'm concerned because my clicker is starting to act up. Works fine most of the time but occasionally hangs up and won't turn off. I'll be surprised if it can hang on another three months. Definitely living on borrowed time.

I know weed isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's sad to think the amazing grasshopper io might cease to exist altogether. I'm enjoying weed more than ever, at an unrivaled low cost, thanks to the grasshopper. I'm holding out hope that HL will reboot with a more sane limited warranty program and be successful.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I am morally and philosophically at odds with the way HL has done business over multiple years, so I'm over them.
At one time a big supporter, and having spent well over a thousand dollars with HL, through 2 Ss og's and 2 ti og's then 2 ss io's plus a spare body, I'm now down to only one piece that works, poorly. I rarely use it.

The thing that has made it easier for me to walk away is that there are several vapes available that work a lot better, and are more reliable now.

Last edited:

WhyAreWeWaiting

I am morally and philosophically at odds with the way HL has done business over multiple years, so I'm over them.
At one time a big supporter, and having spent well over a thousand dollars with HL, through 2 Ss og's and 2 ti og's then 2 ss io's plus a spare body, I'm now down to only one piece that works, poorly.

The thing that has made it easier for me to walk away is that there are several vapes available that work a lot better, and are more reliable now.
I'm over them too. It was all hype, slick marketing, building up customer anticipation with interminable delays in release and production, no substance. Great looking vape, super stealthy, hits really good for a while, but generally within a few short weeks of regular use, it rapidly deteriorates until it's no longer useable. Then you have to deal with the frustration of dozens of repeated RMAs with delays in repair, postage costs to USA from Europe, etc. Batteries are poor quality and inconsistent. Cash cow for Hopper to stay afloat. Bringing out the IO was just the same GH design repackaged with white LEDs. The reliability was just as poor as the GH. I was, like many others, was suckered into upgrading 2 of my GHs. The problem is that the underlying design is seriously flawed. I bought an XMax V3 Pro for €67 in November. Great little vape. What alternatives vapes have you tried, and what would you recommend?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I bought an XMax V3 Pro for €67 in November. Great little vape. What alternatives vapes have you tried, and what would you recommend?
If the ? is for me, I've previously mentioned other vapes for comparison, which wanders off-topic, so I won't dwell on that stuff here.
The V3 Pro (and even the VLeaf Go) had a lot to do with my liberation from HL. I've acquired a couple of high-end convection vapes since then, so, it's buh-bye Hopperville, nice merry-go-round you got there.
me :wave: my wife :wave:

It might be interesting to start a thread, "What vape replaced your Grasshopper/IO?" Oh, wait, this search shows that it's already been done...
https://fuckcombustion.com/search/1...nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=9&c[title_only]=1&o=date

JBone65

Great looking vape, super stealthy, hits really good for a while, but generally within a few short weeks of regular use, it rapidly deteriorates until it's no longer useable. Then you have to deal with the frustration of dozens of repeated RMAs with delays in repair,
I agree they are difficult to clean properly, most folks probably don't make it thru a full year. The two very fine SS screens and the small opening in the tip work perfectly when clean but the tolerance for resin build-up is minimal. Performance starts deteriorating almost immediately and gets serious within a few weeks of continuous use. The typical novice can see how to clean the obvious buildup and the situation improves for awhile. However, increasingly restricted airflow is unavoidable as resin also builds up in unseen places, below the heater screen and above the tip screen. This particular problem was extremely frustrating for me, and it happened for extended periods. Less airflow means less work for the heaters and less vapor. You have to suck harder and harder for less and less vapor.

It's the old golf ball thru a garden hose scenario. I was gonna have that fucking golf ball.

Novice users were given vague, oversimplified instructions and warned to be careful and avoid damage, etc.

I know there are a range of failure mechanisms. I'm grateful for 3-4 warranty repairs. Some folks aren't suited to struggle with it so they probably switched to something else less problematic pretty quickly. Most folks don't expect much from portable flower vaporizors, they're gonna use cartridge pens or live resin anyway.

A lot of units might have been damaged by owners trying to get them to work, trying to open them up to determine why they won't hit properly, trying a new way to clean it, etc.

Can't prove it but I'm guessing a significant fraction of the warranty claims were avoidable and somehow related to resin builds up, maybe 25-50%. Who knows?

HL never issued any technical bulletins or improved cleaning instructions. They probably got tired of arguing with folks because they rarely communicate anything more than a one sentence notification.

IMO such a unique and pleasurable device could be the basis for a billion dollar company with just a few minor tweeks. Instead, HL managed it into the ground.

When it's clean, it's a fine invention. Offering this device with an "unlimited lifetime warranty" sold me, but it was a stupid business plan IMO.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
That should be illegal IMO!

Every time I do it I'm thinking it should be illegal. 😵‍💫
My lung capacity deems it illegal, lol. Nice setup and clouds! I used to chase them but no longer. I’m a big native user so lower temps (to start) suit me fine; don’t need big clouds just some good draws and effect. Cheers. :peace:

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
I don't like giving this update but I've been putting it off for long enough so I'll try to keep it brief.

As you may remember from my previous posts, due to my faulty-on-arrival io body being 'warrantied' since fuck nose when, I have been using a combination of an og body connected to an io backend.
  • Fun fact: despite being an original pre-order from December 2019 I am yet to experience a fully working io
Unfortunately the frigged together og/io only worked with a certain degree of success as it seemed to be restricted to delivering high temp hits and any adjustment to the dial made little or no difference to the vapor or resulting load. Still, I found it was workable & particularly effective for quick, hard-hitting, rips on-the-go.

Come 4/20 this year, and for some reason I decided to use the og/io combo for the maiden celebratory voyage of the day. Big mistake. Something went *ping* when I removed the backend to swap out the battery and then the backend popped apart in my hand. Happy 4/20!

Anyway, something has definitely broken inside as the backend will not go back together. Now, yet again, I don't have a working Hopper at all.

Guess I should raise a warranty request! :rofl:

The upshot is, having some form of a working Hopper had recently been preventing me from buying a different vape which could potentially fill a similar role but, at a fraction of the cost (both physically & mentally) of a Hopper. And now I don't have a working Hopper so I am fully justified to persue other options. Just the excuse I needed.

I wonder if we'll see a return of HL or if they'll fade into the distance - I'm way past caring which is pretty sad but I don't think they'd even care about that. They really couldn't care any less about their customers, or so it seems.

Oh well, at least there are other far more reputable companies to deal with, because if HL was the standard, well, it doesn't bear thinking about :bang:

Will update if anything changes.

Stay chirpy!
:peace:

MoltenTiger

Yeah it's an unfortunate play dealing with the HL conundrum.

On one hand some got a taste of a device like no other, eclipsing whatever the competition offered, both seen or experienced.

The black mark on the other hand is a widespread failure, which just kept rearing it's ugly head.

I wonder what is going on, but it's quite sad to acknowledge that things just can't recover from here.

In one sense, I like their tech and design philosophy, which is all this was.

There were just too many disastrous elements.

Things just didn't align like the planets and stars after a proper ultra portable no fuss heavy hit. It was a different way to live when I was hopping along. Vaping otherwise is lacking compared to the rare goldilocks pen. I'm glad I got to experience it for a substantial time to know what I know.

One day something else will appear with the same offerings, although I always considered that as likely as HL pulling it off. It was a very ambitious project that showed a resilience I know that I lack.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

JBone65

For some ideas, allow me to quote myself, from just a few posts above your question...
Looks like the consensus is the TM. My io is like a sixth appendage, I'm gonna be sad when it finally blinks on/off for the last time. Gonna miss my little buddy.....🥹

Edit: I have used thehopper.io website for several years. I apparently can add a battery to the cart but can't go to the cart and checkout.

Last edited:

Vaporific

Looks like the consensus is the TM. My io is like a sixth appendage, I'm gonna be sad when it finally blinks on/off for the last time. Gonna miss my little buddy.....🥹

Edit: I have used thehopper.io website for several years. I apparently can add a battery to the cart but can't go to the cart and checkout.
Depends on your budget and needs. There are some inexpensive pen-shaped vapes out there a few have suggested herein several times. If you’re looking for convection the options are limited and, yes, the Tinymight (which I have as well as one Hopper OG and one IO each) fits the bill and is worth its weight (I’ve had my TM for 2.25 years and it runs like new and use it as much as my IO, which is nearly daily).

Indeed, HL has gone dark. It’s a shame but not unexpected (nor the first time). I thought about attempting to buy new Hopper batts but I’ll refrains and just use what I have for however long that’ll be. :peace:

kilo

I think part of the problem was that they were undercapitalized to begin with and felt under pressure to get the product out there, neglecting to do quality control and sufficient testing. Well-financed companies will subject a product to durability tests, running a device through thousands of cycles, and have the capital reserves to back up their (probably more limited) warranties. I still have two working io's and a stash of new batteries. I break out the Hopper when I'm going to visit friends; it's just so damned easy to carry, use in a subtle manner, and still get a great high.

Choices

I have two I rarely use and recently got a few more batteries and finally a PFE. When I do it is like taking an old MG out for a spin. Great fun but nothing I’d trust as a daily driver for anything more than a walkable commute….

Last edited:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out

Sorry this is my real account 😂. I placed an order for some batteries and it went through. Hopefully they send me something. I’m not going to hold my breath. I love my Hopper and rarely use it anymore. Decided I would try and get some batteries just in case they stop existing. Let’s see how it goes…

JBone65

I was able to place an order for a battery today.

One of my two batteries also died today, acts like it's charging but won't give a full hit before blinking. It's not like I waited until the last minute, still have one. It already served 9-10 months and delivered 4000-5000 "mighty fine" hits. It should last awhile. What can go wrong....? :leaf::doh:

ondemander

My 3 pack of batteries I placed around 4/20 came a week later with no issues. Been using just 1 new battery and saving 2 new ones as my old batteries don't hold much of a charge that well. I figure if I don't use them they should stay fresher instead of rotating them. I wonder if I should store them in the fridge or something? Anyways the IO has been performing like a beast with the new battery now. It made me fall in love with the vape again and it's back in the rotation.

So my first post in this thread was a year ago when I bought ~6 month used steel IO on reddit for ~$150. I probably only have deep cleaned it (get out the qtips, soak the PFE in iso etc.) only mayber 3-4 times in that span. The PFE is the only tip to use and I mainly just pick at the resin on the screen with a metal poking tool that comes with the sticky brick OG. After picking out both sides of the screen I blow hard inside to get out any residue or resin). If performance is still diminished then I blow air into the outside intake holes after it has been warmed up. That usually does the trick and if not then maybe a deeper clean is necessary. From my experience if it's not performing well then usually it's due to the air intake (front or side) being blocked or the batteries aren't hold their charge well. The backend issue can be prevented if you carefully unscrew it while holding the pen-clip in place to prevent that lower half separating from the upper half with the dial. If you always keep it performing well then that should help the overall battery life as well since less cycles are needed to heat it properly. Also every time you take back to back hits and don't let the body cool down that heat is very likely sapping additional life from the batteries putting further strain on them. I wonder how the Titanium version is in that respect, as I would assume it cools down a bit faster preventing some heat soak. Once the batteries are fucked there's no chance of getting great performance out of it except for maybe a few hits after charging it. I also would recommend charging in a Nitecore charger, but that goes for all batteries.

I also notice that it can sometimes accidently turn on while being transported, and some users including myself haven't gotten shocked and/or burnt from the unit. We have to remember that these IOs draw a reportedly very high 65-75w in a very small package. If I turned up my Splinter Z to that wattage it would turn my bud black in a few seconds. These IO's are like lightning in a bottle and probably should be respected as such. It's unlikely it's a coincidence their lab burned down once. I suspect there often can be a power draw on these even when not in use, that's why I personally try to keep the battery out of the unit when transporting it. Better safe than sorry, and I'm going to try to get the most out of these 3 new batteries I bought.

After hearing all the horror stories, it's hard to determine if I have an exceptional unit to be performing flawlessly now with new batteries and proper maintenance. I have experienced my issues with this device an almost gave up on it too at times, but the more I understand something the more success I have using it. The same could be said with my usage of the Ghost MV1 and FF2+. I've heard endless complaints about both but I knew the maintenance involved, the tricks to tweak the firmware, the inhale methods to use, the correct grind to use, the little battery hacks etc. to make the most out of my vape experience. Both have served me very well and the FF2+ is still in the rotation on the go.

As for IO replacements the Tafee Bowl is very nice on demand convection, but I doubt they will last more than another year or two unless they completely overhaul the design and sell an improved version. I think their batteries and issues with the charging port are also a ticking time bomb that will eventually lead to warranty hell like Hopper Labs. I already had to replace mine for $90 plus shipping it to them. At least the return was quick, like 2 weeks round trip.

If you want a safer bet then TinyMight appears to be good. The Airvape Legacy PRO is TBD for me and is trying to find a spot in my rotation. It produces on demand hits about as slow or maybe slower than an IO, but not as potent and supposedly has a shitty WPA. The session mode adds more conduction and can produce decent thick vapor, but a little harsher than on demand mode. It's definitely not bad (especially if it's around $200 or less) it just has some other issues that I don't love yet as I'm still figuring out its quirks.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
HL has, for the second time now, completely clammed up and is ignoring all customer obligations (except accessory sales).
They provide zero communications for over a year now. No repairs on the lifetime warranted product. No support whatsoever.
I believe they are simply selling off what inventory they can before shuttering up.
If they try the Phoenix Rising thing again, I will ignore it. I supported them for years, but no more bull crap from these kids!

I did buy a 3 battery set on the last sale, got them in a couple of weeks, and they are sitting unused, along with my last working hopper, which I also don't bother to use, as I have other vapes now that are far more satisisfying - several of them, actually.

I see lots of folks use the silicone condom for other vape connection purposes (I keep one atop the ti Sai wax atomizer).
This will be the thing everyone hunts for when it's gone!
The elusive legacy condom...

JBone65

I respect the range of experience of this group. It's clear to me that I'll probably opt for the TM in the dark post-io days ahead.

I really enjoy being untethered with a portable device. I wouldn't mind being tethered by an electrical cord in certain situations, if anyone knows of a desktop vaporizer as efficient as an io. I have an old desktop but it has a large chamber and a course screen, much better for fresh, whole buds. It produces precisely heated air but it's sloppy overall and make a lot of stink. Finely ground weed can end up in your mouth, etc. An efficient semi-clandestine "one hitter" would be nice.

Vaporific

HL has, for the second time now, completely clammed up and is ignoring all customer obligations (except accessory sales).
Second time? More like 10th time. No matter it’s not a good sign at all. The end for HL may be near. I’m hesitant to even bother attempting to buy some new batts to have around in case they cease to exist.

As for HL batteries, my casual observation is that if they sit too long unused their charge capacity tends to deplete. I don’t think they have long shelf lives to put it in layman’s terms. I can’t really describe it but that’s what I’ve observed. Still it’s better to have extras than not enough (or those that are near the end of life).

I really enjoy being untethered with a portable device. I wouldn't mind being tethered by an electrical cord in certain situations, if anyone knows of a desktop vaporizer as efficient as an io.
MaxVapor made a charging sled for Hoppers and there’s a thread for that. It didn’t sell that well and I think it was a limited run. I’ve never used or tried it. There are many desktops out there yet I don’t have one (yet). I also enjoy the freedom of portables. The Tinymight is awesome (I’ve had one for almost 2.5 years, nary an issue). There are a few other portables too that come close to desktop performance. Lots of options out there so you should look around.

It might be time to completely soak my IO’s replacement body in ISO. Yes, completely immerse it in ISO. I bought the body used from someone here on FC and it worked well out of the gate however it ran a bit cooler than the original body (which I stupidly removed the heating chamber with pliers and bent the edge of the chamber and the frontends wouldn’t screw on/off easily). The replacement works fine but I can tell it’s running cooler than when i first got it and cleaned it throughly before I initially used it. Ah the joys of Hopper ownership! TGIF & cheers. :peace:

kilo

The TM is a dope howitzer, a magnum Hopper configured side-by-side rather than inline. The vape path has a larger diameter – approximately half an inch compared to three eighths, a significant difference. Still, had the Hopper been more reliable and had HL honored its commitment and been more forthcoming, I don't think I'd have ever sought another battery-operated device.

Top Bottom