• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Any retail store that has offered the Hopper no longer does. They have had the same average experience on a higher level and most of them know, that the device might be quite good when working, but the business is totally dysfunctional and a huge hassle to deal with, before and after the sale.
Mostly correct, but I know of two retailers selling online to this day, one in US (Vapegoodiez) and one in Canada (TheHerbCafe).
It is shocking to me that these guys are still doing it, since they both enjoy great reputation in the industry. I once bought a hopper from TheHerbCafe, had a great experience, etc.

The owner of Vapegoodiez has told us that he gave HL strict parameters about how he would expect business between them to go. Maybe it's going great, maybe they respect him and respond to him, in business and in taking care of his customer service with hoppers. Likewise perhaps with TheHerbCafe. The owner there told me that his neighbor is the Canadian distributor for Grasshopper, so...
I really doubt that either of these guys would tolerate a trail of dissatisfied customers behind them.

So what does this mean? We see so many unhappy hopper buyers here getting lousy support, are we the dregs, the ones left behind when priority runs through retailers? This is only speculation; we are left to wonder.

MoltenTiger

Mostly correct, but I know of two retailers selling online to this day, one in US (Vapegoodiez) and one in Canada (TheHerbCafe).
It is shocking to me that these guys are still doing it, since they both enjoy great reputation in the industry. I once bought a hopper from TheHerbCafe, had a great experience, etc.

The owner of Vapegoodiez has told us that he gave HL strict parameters about how he would expect business between them to go. Maybe it's going great, maybe they respect him and respond to him, in business and in taking care of his customer service with hoppers. Likewise perhaps with TheHerbCafe. The owner there told me that his neighbor is the Canadian distributor for Grasshopper, so...
I really doubt that either of these guys would tolerate a trail of dissatisfied customers behind them.

So what does this mean? We see so many unhappy hopper buyers here getting lousy support, are we the dregs, the ones left behind when priority runs through retailers? This is only speculation; we are left to wonder.
Yeah that's true, those guys have limited supply still. Seemingly because they've managed direct/personal contact, and possibly have kept hot swappable spares (or had exclusive access) for customers instead of selling all available stock and directing people to HL for support. Whatever is happening, those two boutique shops have actually had their orders honoured in some agreeable fashion while every other store example has not or has just given up due to the obvious issues.

If HL's priority was committing to supply retailers, that seems to indicate the situation could be even worse than what they initially pledged on indiegogo, which seems equally neglected.

I'm not left wondering about it at all, I haven't picked up or missed mine for quite some time

JBone65

Have used weed for 50+ years, but the efficient, clandestine, reliable (for me anyway) grasshopper makes it so much more enjoyable. I think of the millions who have used weed one way or another throughout recorded history and I feel lucky.

HL doesn't say anything about warranty limitations as far as I can see. We know they help some customers while ignoring others. They must have a (unspoken, unwritten) system for deciding who qualifies for a free warranty repair and who will be ignored.

This thread is split down the middle with satisfied and unsatisfied customers. I can sympathize. It must be hard to get a fine taste, and then be cut off with no explanation and no further service. I suspect some view it as an injustice.

From what I've seen, HL won't waste 5 seconds discussing or arguing. Cross some unknown line with them and you're done, sort of like the soup Nazi on Seinfeld.

Even with no positive reviews, and with some extreme opposing reviews in this thread, HL survives into 2022.

I like it too much! 😋

Spleeeno

Horsin around
now, what if they have added all the og backers mails into their auto-delete-cause-spam list? :D
jk, way more likely that vgoodiez and herbcafe customers just make it past the customary toincoss and get serviced every time...
meanwhile my ac adapter in on the way, cant wait to really blast thru a bowl where all the hits have "max battery" state available... :science:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Interestingly my PFE screws on rather easily but not near perfect like before and better than my native IO mouthpiece after slightly bending the heating chamber when attempting to remove it. I also soaked the native frontend too to see if it helped a little but not really. It’s still difficult to unscrew and screw as the edge of the heating chamber is off just a tad somewhere; it’s hard to tell. The upshot is my IO is performing well again even at the low temps for 15 months until things started going south. The thing is I didn’t notice any loose debris or that much gunk I removed with ISO tinged qtips. I did clean out the air holes well. It’s definitely performing almost like new however the trade off is the tight fitting native frontend (and I don’t use the PFE too often as I prefer the native frontend - go figure!). Still on the fence about ordering a new spare body, which HL does have in stock (I inquired, as I also did about a spare heating chamber and that was a NO as in none available - hmmm). Let’s see how long my patience lasts with the tight fitting frontend :doh::peace:

JBone65

Interestingly my PFE screws on rather easily but not near perfect like before and better than my native IO mouthpiece after slightly bending the heating chamber when attempting to remove it. I also soaked the native frontend too to see if it helped a little but not really. It’s still difficult to unscrew and screw as the edge of the heating chamber is off just a tad somewhere; it’s hard to tell. The upshot is my IO is performing well again even at the low temps for 15 months until things started going south. The thing is I didn’t notice any loose debris or that much gunk I removed with ISO tinged qtips. I did clean out the air holes well. It’s definitely performing almost like new however the trade off is the tight fitting native frontend (and I don’t use the PFE too often as I prefer the native frontend - go figure!). Still on the fence about ordering a new spare body, which HL does have in stock (I inquired, as I also did about a spare heating chamber and that was a NO as in none available - hmmm). Let’s see how long my patience
Very useful info. I guess it makes sense as well.

Do you normally scrub that screen with a damp q-tip when cleaning?

This also makes me wonder if an ISO soaking of the element and screen would work. Maybe 91% ISO would dry completely and do no harm.

Is your added friction coming from the threads? If it's just because the tubes are interfering, and it's not too severe, you might could polish the chamber exterior with emory cloth or something. Wonder why a PFE would have less friction.

Last edited:

Vaporific

Very useful info. I guess it makes sense as well.

Do you normally scrub that screen with a damp q-tip when cleaning?

This also makes me wonder if an ISO soaking of the element and screen would work. Maybe 91% ISO would dry completely and do no harm.

Is your added friction coming from the threads? If it's just because the tubes are interfering, and it's not too severe, you might could polish the chamber exterior with emory cloth or something. Wonder why a PFE would have less friction.
Sorry, still can’t copy quotes in Safari for some reason. I usually apply light ISO to the heater screen however the heating chamber has been always inserted. This was the first time I’ve removed the heating chamber. I’ve never removed the heater screen(s) - there maybe two from what I’ve read but never removed it, even while removing the heating chamber. When I do clean the screen I keep the Hopper upside down so the chamber is facing down.

The friction is from the threads and, now, the edge of the heating chamber not being 360 degrees and off just a bit somewhere since I bent it removing it, and I put it back with pliers as well as best I could. I’ll look into Emory cloth as it might work and loosen things up a bit - thanks. :peace:

Vaporific,

JBone65

I've always tried to minimize element exposure to ISO as well, probably haven't cleaned my screen properly as a result. Will take a closer look later today. First I need to try this strange mixture I just filled it with....👹

JBone65,

Spleeeno

Horsin around
first day with the ac adapter, its been a blast.
on my third bowl now, all around .1-.15g on temp 4 with like 3-5 inhales and "done".
not as done as really finishing it on temp 5 ofc, but the consistency of this thing on a plug is just...nice.
oh and I run it with only a 12V 5A power brick - the IO wouldnt work with my 12V 10A one I had for my flix anyway. so now it's running of the no-name verdamper psu without any led flickering, it's weird...but I'm not complaining :science:

fogbank

oh and I run it with only a 12V 5A power brick - the IO wouldnt work with my 12V 10A one I had for my flix anyway. so now it's running of the no-name verdamper psu without any led flickering, it's weird...but I'm not complaining :science:
Are you using a commercially available PSU or is the "no-name verdamper psu" a custom made power supply?

I have two 5A power supplies that work with the OG Hopper but not the IO:

LEDMO 12V 5A 60W Power Supply Adapter

Chanzon UL Listed 12V 5A 60W AC DC Power Supply Adapter

I had to purchase this PSU for the IO:

BINZET AC to DC 12V 10A 120W Power Supply

I would love to find a 5A PSU with a smaller footprint than the Binzet PSU that works with the IO. The Binzet unit is a huge brick.

Spleeeno

Horsin around
Are you using a commercially available PSU or is the "no-name verdamper psu" a custom made power supply?

I would love to find a 5A PSU with a smaller footprint than the Binzet PSU that works with the IO. The Binzet unit is a huge brick.
so the one I use is the kjs-1509, you can find it in lots of places with eu/us plugs even.
and the IO LED is always solid when on, so it seems to be working quite well.
I can sorta hear it ramp up when I press the button and after 2-3 seconds the sound changes which probably means its at temp, so in some way this has improved the ritual, even if that might sound ridiculous :hmm:

fogbank

so the one I use is the kjs-1509, you can find it in lots of places with eu/us plugs even.
Thanks, I'll check it out. I bought the LEDMO power supply after someone either in this thread or in the Grasshopper AC Adapter thread claimed that it worked with their IO. It did not work with mine :(

fogbank,

Spleeeno

Horsin around
Thanks, I'll check it out. I bought the LEDMO power supply after someone either in this thread or in the Grasshopper AC Adapter thread claimed that it worked with their IO. It did not work with mine :(
I just got super lucky with having this one for my verdamper already. cause who in his right mind would get a power supply with a screen and a knob for a device that just needs 12V all the time? that would be pretty stupid. but in this case its working out and for now I have two units that run on the same power supply, so breaking my og verdamper power supply maybe was some kind of stoner omen :myday:

If this thing ever goes south I could always look into Reds ATM too, what a time to be alive...

Spleeeno,

WhyAreWeWaiting

I just got super lucky with having this one for my verdamper already. cause who in his right mind would get a power supply with a screen and a knob for a device that just needs 12V all the time? that would be pretty stupid. but in this case its working out and for now I have two units that run on the same power supply, so breaking my og verdamper power supply maybe was some kind of stoner omen :myday:

If this thing ever goes south I could always look into Reds ATM too, what a time to be alive...
So have we now reached the stage where a device that was touted as super stealthy has to be hooked up to a massive separate mains power supply for it to work?

Last edited:
WhyAreWeWaiting,
Reactions: jabba

Spleeeno

Horsin around
So have we now reached the stage where a device that was touted as super stealthy has to be hooked up to a separate power supply for it to work?
think of it this way: not having to use the hopper labs charger and the hopper labs batteries has massively improved the device :haw:

I've gotten rid of 2 major causes of failure, if this thing still breaks now its really down to shitty device design/quality.

Last edited:

WhyAreWeWaiting

and the IO LED is always solid when on, so it seems to be working quite well.
I can sorta hear it ramp up when I press the button and after 2-3 seconds the sound changes which probably means its at temp, so in some way this has improved the ritual, even if that might sound ridiculous :hmm:
How do you connect the output from the power supply to the Hopper? Is it basically any 12V 5A power supply? What voltage do you set it to? 4.2V?

WhyAreWeWaiting,

Spleeeno

Horsin around
How do you connect the output from the power supply to the Hopper? Is it basically any 12V 5A power supply?
the ac adapter is a dummy battery and a small piece of stainless steel you screw into the hopper body to let out the cable with the xt30 connector that plugs into a 4.2v converter and that one has one of the 2-3 different types of dc plugs you see being used almost everywhere.

only problem is (as can be seen in this thread) the default brick they send out with it only works with the og hopper, and the IOs out in the wild seem to be picky about which power supply might work with them, so I just added another one to the list, lets hope it also works for other users.

Spleeeno,

brewbeer

@Vaporific I unscrewed the heating elements of both of my hopper.ios which had the typical performance fade and they looked just like the photo you psoed a few pages back. Fortunately mine came off using hand pressure only. Threads were gunked up. The heating element electronics were dirty and one of the boards had obviously gotten too hot.

I put the elements individually in a plastic vile with iso and shook them vigorously back and forth to force iso through the heating chamber. Your could see the particles come out of the unit the more I shook it back and forth. Repeated with fresh iso to confirm nothing else would come out. Blew them out, let dry in warm place, then back in to Ti bodies. They both fired up nicely and had much or most of their performance restored, but not all.

I'm thinking that I'm ready to replace this vape with something else. Been looking at the TM, seems like a similar experience without the limitations imposed by the pen form factor.

Vaporific

@Vaporific I unscrewed the heating elements of both of my hopper.ios which had the typical performance fade and they looked just like the photo you psoed a few pages back. Fortunately mine came off using hand pressure only. Threads were gunked up. The heating element electronics were dirty and one of the boards had obviously gotten too hot.

I put the elements individually in a plastic vile with iso and shook them vigorously back and forth to force iso through the heating chamber. Your could see the particles come out of the unit the more I shook it back and forth. Repeated with fresh iso to confirm nothing else would come out. Blew them out, let dry in warm place, then back in to Ti bodies. They both fired up nicely and had much or most of their performance restored, but not all.

I'm thinking that I'm ready to replace this vape with something else. Been looking at the TM, seems like a similar experience without the limitations imposed by the pen form factor.
Wasn’t sure you could soak the entire heating chamber in ISO. It worked for you. I just gently swabbed it with ISO on qtips on the outside of the heating chamber and let it dry. I cleaned the air holes too thoroughly as well (why not at that point). Yeah, I impatiently used pliers to remove it and bent it doing so and then bent it back as much as I could. It’s not perfect or freely rotating like before but the threads do hold though it’s very tight screwing it both on and off. The upside is my IO is performing better. The most ironic thing is a few of my older batteries are near their end and I’m glad I bought 3 new ones recently.

Maybe, just maybe, I’ll splurge for a new titanium body… :peace:

Vaporific,

WhyAreWeWaiting

https://vapefully.com/product/x-max-v3-pro-vaporizer/ Also available in US.

I got one of these at Christmas. Very nice vape. Today was the first day I put it down to give my Mighty+ an airing. Quality build, removable 18650, large OLED, fits nicely in the hand, good flavour and smooth cool vapour. Hard to fault it. Check out the reviews on Youtube.

WhyAreWeWaiting,

Justpassedu

Had a few og hoppers and when they worked they worked well and when they didn’t well it was a real pain to have them repaired and I eventually gave up . But besides all the negatives what are some cool things the hopper io offers over the original ? I just came across the opportunity to trade one of my on demand vapes for a hopper io . So I’m somewhat excited to get it & would love to hear some things you all like about it. My favorite thing was that they are super portable , stealthy and quick to extract . How many bowls per charge does everyone get ? Is it that much better than the original hopper ?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Had a few og hoppers and when they worked they worked well and when they didn’t well it was a real pain to have them repaired and I eventually gave up . But besides all the negatives what are some cool things the hopper io offers over the original ? I just came across the opportunity to trade one of my on demand vapes for a hopper io . So I’m somewhat excited to get it & would love to hear some things you all like about it. My favorite thing was that they are super portable , stealthy and quick to extract . How many bowls per charge does everyone get ? Is it that much better than the original hopper ?

Nah save yourself the headaches my friend ;)

I started working mine back into the rotation a bit again, really not proving so useful imo

Justpassedu

Nah save yourself the headaches my friend ;)

I started working mine back into the rotation a bit again, really not proving so useful imo
I mean I already initiated the trade buddy so I can’t back out now , it’s not like it will be only vape that can leave me stranded but I felt like I’d like it for the occasional quick hit or two . I liked my og’s when they worked even though I had to have them repaired a few times .

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I mean I already initiated the trade buddy so I can’t back out now , it’s not like it will be only vape that can leave me stranded but I felt like I’d like it for the occasional quick hit or two . I liked my og’s when they worked even though I had to have them repaired a few times .

Oh haha my bad man I misunderstood, thought you were asking to help decide!

Yeah I think you are going to enjoy it for that reason, the IO is better with that instant on, truly instant on demand, it was really weird using my OG plugged into the wall after I had the IO because it was so slow to heat up lol so in that regard, going for quick hits, you will be very happy! Fast and easy to use :tup:

I think the usage simplicity and full temp range are another big positive for the Hopper along with the easy connectability to glass pieces... Where it often shines, depending on the piece, I have so many now lol

On the downside, I don't like loading and unloading it at all, the mouthpiece screens clog super quick, native use not so enjoyable, and sometimes the performance is not so consistent for me? Aside from my complaints about the clicker button and other limitations of the pen design...

Battery wise, the new batteries, with the IO, are much more reliable in my limited experience, it is reasonable to expect five bowls depending on the bowls of course!

JBone65

IMO, the GHB3 batteries are better than the GHB2 batteries. I only get 5-6 long hits per charge, but the hits are more reliable and impressive. I connect the charging ring several times a day, but that's easier than messing with multiple batteries.

It's my view that both the io and the OG can be difficult to keep clean and operate long term without problems. This hasn't changed, hopefully you already understand that part.

My io has proven to be a little more reliable than any of my OGs. The io feature takes a while to appreciate. It doesn't warm up if you just stare at it, it produces heat when you draw air thru it. It also hits better than the OG due to the 60w heater. I'm in the 17th month with mine, although it was down for three weeks 13 - 14 months ago.

It seems too good to be true. My io not only maximizes my enjoyment, it's so efficient it literally pays for itself by giving me more hits per load (11). Also it's stealthy enough that I can blow weed all day long and others in the house don't notice.

I recommend speaking with HL, get them to agree to ship it (either verbally or in writing) in a timely fashion before placing the order. I haven't had many problems, but reports of severe SQ issues are frequent. Good luck!

Top Bottom