• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I would like to know about any comparable alternative portable convection devices.

I suspect most of the devices being marketed are less satisfying than the io in terms of hit quality.

The Tinymight has been recommended by some io users. That should be a glowing recommendation, still not sure how satisfied I would be with it. It's not cheap at $259. Reliability is critical since no warranty is advertised, unless it's easy to diagnose and replace parts inexpensively.

Recommendations?
I have the Tinymight as well as an OG and IO Hopper. Different animals but I love that they’re convection and on demand. When I got my TM almost 20 months ago I posted in the TM/Hopper comparison thread. Love them both and I’ve had nary an issue with both (got my IO 15 months ago, again no issues). The biggest trade offs are the vapor path and material, short (Hopper) vs. a bit longer (TM) and metal vs. glass (natively; you can always use external cooling which I seldom do). IO is more pocketable but not terribly so. I’ll leave it there.

As mentioned herein many times, the IO shouldn’t be your only vape but when it works well, it works very well. :peace:

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I would like to know about any comparable alternative portable convection devices.

I suspect most of the devices being marketed are less satisfying than the io in terms of hit quality.

The Tinymight has been recommended by some io users. That should be a glowing recommendation, still not sure how satisfied I would be with it. It's not cheap at $259. Reliability is critical since no warranty is advertised, unless it's easy to diagnose and replace parts inexpensively.

Recommendations?
This is the kind of thing we are supposed to explore other threads for; alternatively, you can start a new thread, asking for opinions about comps (I think that would go in the Vapor Lounge area, though I'm not sure). Technically, in the vaporizer threads, we are supposed to stick to discussion about use of that particular vape.
Mods have definitely let the hopper threads have wider discussions, mostly due to the, uh, unique nature of the customer experience.

OnO

I have been on the fence about the hopper. It sounds like a nice unit.

I did buy an Xmax V3 pro. Similar to the hopper in size, a little bigger. Demand heat that works.

Not as pretty as the Hopper.

The hopper looks like a cool unit, but I have been reading this thread.......
David
Hi David

how do you rate the Xmax V3 Pro? I was thinking of buying one as a hopper backup. My clicker has started playing up :(

Vaping_Casual

You have glass in the Tiny Might that is susceptible to breakage upon impacts etc. If reliability is your #1 absolute requirement, you're best getting something like a Dynavap, a S&B product, or maayyyyybeee a FF2+. I don't believe there are any other units out there that tick all the same boxes as the Hopper, thus how they get away treating their customers like shit lol.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Received my 2nd GH IO Ti, yesterday. Bought it during the sale last week, $250.00. Received in 10 days.

I now have two identical units, and 3 charge cables, still takes FIVE HOURS to charge batteries fully from dead, using their magnetic cable. Bizarre behavior, as members here have shown it should only take TWO hours. Time to write them....

fogbank

I now have one gone bad. It's intermittent and, so, repeatedly disappointing. I am tired of 'testing' it against other hopper and multiple batteries to self-diagnose. I've got a back end and TWO bodies I can't sort out. I may not have the motivation to do this anymore, I'm 5+ years in and I've had countless rma's.

The competition has grown, HL is likely getting their proverbial lunch eaten by any number of competitors doing it better these days.
Next hurdle for me is resisting buying batteries (or worse!) on an upcoming Black Friday sale.
I am in a similar place. I've been using and buying Hoppers since 2016. I've purchased a lot of Hoppers, batteries, and accessories. I have some IO Hoppers that I still haven't used. The only difference for me is that I have not had countless RMAs, only a couple. But that's probably because I resorted to buying spare bodies and back ends when things went south.

I had a battery order that was delayed by the fire. I finally convinced them to send me some, but I think they were faulty. Recently I've had several batteries die on me at about the same time. It's frustrating when you charge a battery completely and you see the flashing lights on the first draw. I have been tracking my battery usage for months, and some of my older batteries perform much better than my newer (post fire) batteries. I may not have the motivation to keep this up either.

I ordered the Hopper external battery charger and wall wort back in 2017, but of course it never materialized. I recently sent them an email asking for credit for the amount that I paid for the charger, so I could use it to buy more batteries. I have not received a response. I'm not even asking for a refund, just credit to purchase more goods from them.

The competition has grown. I'm really enjoying my TinyMight, VLeaf Go and XMax V3 Pro vapes. They don't hit quite as hard as the Hopper (TinyMight being the exception) but at least they are either inexpensive and/or have replaceable non-proprietary batteries.

I have AC adapters and power supplies for both the OG and IO Hoppers, but that makes them no longer portable. I also need to resist the urge to just buy more batteries, but that may be my only recourse.

Greenleaf88

Hi fellow fc grasshopper enthusiasts, I'm here to ask a honest question because as you all are aware there is some negative stigma but I also understamd that most don't always care for there stuff.

But my question is more on the reliability of if I were to order a io tomorrow is says Dec 2021 will I be waiting alot longer?

It years I've wanted a grasshopper but didn't order the og cuz of what I had said and was relatively new to the vape game.

Thank you in advance it late and I apoligize for my incoherence. I've had great success asking about the product in the vape specific thread b4 I buy and thank you

MoltenTiger

Hi fellow fc grasshopper enthusiasts, I'm here to ask a honest question because as you all are aware there is some negative stigma but I also understamd that most don't always care for there stuff.

But my question is more on the reliability of if I were to order a io tomorrow is says Dec 2021 will I be waiting alot longer?

It years I've wanted a grasshopper but didn't order the og cuz of what I had said and was relatively new to the vape game.

Thank you in advance it late and I apoligize for my incoherence. I've had great success asking about the product in the vape specific thread b4 I buy and thank you
I have no idea how they're tracking for shipment. I think it's a bit easier getting the Hopper today than it has been, however you really have to go into it with low expectations for it to really pay off.

You might have to wait a long time, if not for the device itself, just for a simple email reply.

With any sense of urgency it won't be a nice experience.

It's a bit of a gamble like the lottery. If you're a winner you wouldn't complain, however most are not #winning and most do complain.

There is practically no consistency across many variables, anyone including the OEM will have no idea what to tell you to expect. If you can stomach not only the financial hit but also general frustration, it can't really be bad. But if you get unlucky it might end up not being worthwhile at all.

I still have a place for mine in my general day to day, but I no longer have a goldilocks unit that really allowed sole usage with high praise, currently I'm getting lighter ABV that isn't good enough. Still ultra convenient though, and the cost nor the radio silence from their support lines would deter me from buying another if it came to that. Perhaps I would try the V3 Pro first, but there is a lot to be said for a simple pen.

JBone65

Lots of if's. If you're in the U.S., and if you're willing to spend a few minutes cleaning each week, if you truly need a small clandestine personal device, and if you're a patient person, you probably would enjoy a SS io.

Even considering the risk of getting a lemon, the warranty and the consistent strong hit quality make it a pretty good investment IMO. I'm pretty sure I use less weed and enjoy it more with the io.

Assuming this to be true, my first grasshopper paid for itself within a few months, and that was almost 5 years ago. The io is stronger and more reliable than the original. Some on this site have enjoyed long run times.

If you're outside the U.S., shipping delays could ruin it. HL is a notoriously slow shipper as is, throw in the occasional failure and you're looking at a lot of frustrating downtime. Maybe some non-U.S. users could shed some light, if there are any.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Re your question about the December 21 projection, HL has an abysmal track record when it comes to projections and promises, period.
The date you refer to is for expected shipment of color Ti models.
After the io was introduced, promises for color Ti went unfulfilled for well over a year (mostly blamed on pandemic slowing the anodizing, but the delays persist. They should send them to whoever does BCG's anodizing, it only takes a couple of weeks there in BC, apparently).
You most likely will be waiting a lot longer, yes, than December.

But, SS and apparently plain Ti seem to be in stock, with Black Friday just around the corner, so...
And these more generics are easier to service, because the practice is usually to send a replacement part rather than repair your personal vape due to color, which can add a lot of time.

All the rest is a crap shoot - @MoltenTiger said it better. Use only money you can afford to lose.
You can select and read just about any 10 page segment from this or the original Grasshopper thread (which you apparently have done) and get the jist of the rest of the story. They're great when they work and it sucks when they don't.

So, if you're gonna do it, maybe wait for the sale, or if you want, here is (I believe) the only Canadian retailer. Sachin is great guy, looks like he may have stock on SS. I don't know anything about sales or pricing with him, but you can email and ask in advance his opinion about the device and getting service in Canada. I once bought from him - though years ago - and he said at the time he could offer help with service, but when mine failed he referred me to HL so I could save postage etc. (because I'm in US).

Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I’ll add to the sage advice above by some of the Hopper veterans, if the IO will be your only/first vape then the risk factor, I.e. money, time and patience, goes up and must be weighed. If you have other vapes perhaps the pill/risk isn’t so bitter to swallow. It is a bit of a crapshoot with HL. I’ll say, again, my IO (TI) has worked flawlessly for 15 months and I seldom use my OG these days. Good luck with your decision. :peace:

RustyOldNail

Indeed, I bought identical Titanium IO units a month apart, this way I could swap parts or return one if and when I have to. While anodized colors look nice, they can show wear easier, and after reading this entire thread TWICE, I quickly realized I had no interest in waiting on a process that GH does not do in house.

Been testing my NEW 2nd Ti IO, this one is about ONE STEP cooler then my first one. Step meaning 1 notch out of the 5 on the dial. The new one will not get the flower very dark, even at MAX #5. It’s usable, since my 1st one can do a darker ABV.

This just CONFIRMS what many experienced HL users have already noted:
THERE CAN BE DRAMATIC DIFFERENCES between units regarding TEMPERATURES.

JBone65

The new one will not get the flower very dark, even at MAX #5.
Are you getting more than one hit on level 5 to blacken the ABV? I have to get it extra hot or the ABV will be greenish-brown.

Have you ever combusted? Mine won't.

I might could get blacker ABV if I left a small air gap between the MP screen and the weed, so air can flow more freely.

JBone65,

Greenleaf88

I just wanna thank everyone for taking the time and give really great opinions.

I dont have money to lose but willing to spend on good quality devices. I am in canada and thats red flag already lol. I don't mind the waiting a reasonable time understanding it needs time but over a year scares me.

I appreciate the honesty I have one store in canada that is selling the ss io but now I will ask another question the difference between ss and ti is there is a massive one ? And I apoligize if this was previously talked about.

Edit; I have a over a dozen vapes I don't really need it I want it, I love the idea of it the hits v.a.s

RustyOldNail

Are you getting more than one hit on level 5 to blacken the ABV? I have to get it extra hot or the ABV will be greenish-brown.

Have you ever combusted? Mine won't.

I might could get blacker ABV if I left a small air gap between the MP screen and the weed, so air can flow more freely.

I’ve tried many loads while testing. Full loads, temp stepping, then full loads at #4, then #5. Ultimate test, 1/2 load start at #5. Never gets really dark, while my 1st Ti IO, can get very dark at #5, never combusted. So there is obviously a huge difference in the way these were calibrated at the factory. Without an accurate digital display, it’s mostly guess work, you find the number #1-5 that works for your desired results. I briefly played with using my Fluke meter and a bead K-type temperature probe, on my 1st unit, it showed the temps do change, but until I can find an easy way to MATE the probe tip to the screen directly above the heater, it’s a waste of time, and totally inaccurate. The 2nd issue with attempting temperature readings, is their “draw” sensor works very well, and you need to pull air through the device to get and see the actual higher temps. Maybe someday I’ll revisit temp testing with my various meters.

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: Vitolo

RustyOldNail

I dont have money to lose but willing to spend on good quality devices. I am in canada and thats red flag already lol. I don't mind the waiting a reasonable time understanding it needs time but over a year scares me.

I appreciate the honesty I have one store in canada that is selling the ss io but now I will ask another question the difference between ss and ti is there is a massive one ? And I apoligize if this was previously talked about.

Edit; I have a over a dozen vapes I don't really need it I want it, I love the idea of it the hits v.a.s

As I wrote in a post above yours, I received my 2nd titanium IO, in 10 days. Forget the anodized models. Or get stainless steel, you can read this thread for opinions on the differences between metals. Personally, I prefer the lighter weight of titanium, and I like that it heats up slightly quicker, and cools down faster, this suits the way I like to use the IO.

Mr. Me2

Ss v ti - personally, I don’t think the differences are worth paying more. Ti is slightly lighter weight and does not hold heat as long as the ss. Did I miss anything?

JBone65

I don’t think the differences are worth paying more.
Agreed.

The Ti io element is supposedly 70w compared to the SS 65w. They're both io, supposedly with the same temperature range, and they work the same.

The standard SS device is high tech with a custom Li-ion battery. It reminds me of Elon SpaceX and Tesla, all business. Even plain Ti parts might not always be readily available in inventory, could involve additional delay(s) at some point. Yep, Ti is definitely for suckers in my humble opinion...... 🙄

JBone65,
Reactions: Vitolo

RustyOldNail

Agreed.

The Ti io element is supposedly 70w compared to the SS 65w. They're both io, supposedly with the same temperature range, and they work the same.

The standard SS device is high tech with a custom Li-ion battery. It reminds me of Elon SpaceX and Tesla, all business. Even plain Ti parts might not always be readily available in inventory, could involve additional delay(s) at some point. Yep, Ti is definitely for suckers in my humble opinion...... 🙄

That’s not “humble”.....
There are many happy titanium owners, that understand the differences between the two materials. SS might be easier to get from HL, but I received my Ti unit in 10 days, and I happy to pay the minimum price difference. Guess I’m a SUCKER!

tryingtowin

Do it buy one. I'd get the SS...where in Canada are you?

jabba

Do it buy one. I'd get the SS...where in Canada are you?
Here is a contrarian perspective: Save yourself a lot of trouble and don't buy one. The devices are (still) innovative, offer a very tempting form factor, and yes they truly are capable of the results that you envision.....so a dream come true right? The problem is that HL offers indisputably horrible customer service and that some substantive percentage of their devices are prone to failure(s). This is a really bad combination. I don't mean just horrible service...I mean customers who sent their units in for repairs and never got them back! Or customers that ordered products that not only never shipped to them...but products that HL likely never even manufactured at all! Proprietary batteries that are intermittently available? Questionable if not wholly inconsistent quality controls? Their old website...no don't go there....we now have a new website for you? At best you can expect short illogical responses within 48 hours of your direct and succinct inquiries thus requiring multiple back/forth to even BEGIN a customer service discussion with HL. Don't you wonder why this thread is minimally active?....or why every other post is a Hopper basher? I used to overlook this ....but If it walks like a duck......well....it is probably a duck. This isn't a pandemic logistics problem...this has ALWAYS been the case with HL.
I have been a champion for Hopper Labs for a long while and have owned 4 units since 2016. I count myself among the very lucky Hopper users in that my total need for customer service and/or repairs has been quite minimal over the years. I love the form factor and the io's are more refined than their predecessor. They do still get hot. The vapor is still harsh if using a Hopper natively. This is inherent in the VERY short vapor path...making these devices better suited to whips or use through water pieces than via native use. Native use is possible...but is not ideal...and my ideal use is natively.
I just sold my entire Hopper lot and bits for a CHEAP price simply to rid myself of any association with HL. Life is short...and I don't wish to be beholden to HL in any way. The very minimal interactions that I've had with HL from recent times are not good...and I expect that should I require repair or service it would likely result in me becoming intensely frustrated. I don't like to be intensely frustrated.
So I sold it all off to a seemingly nice guy at a ridiculously low price and honestly I feel just GREAT about it. You remember what they say about boats and motorcyles?....you know.... the "the two best days with your boat/motorcyle are the day that you buy it and the day that you sell it".
Well I shipped it all out of here today and I'm here to tell you that today is a great day! Buh Bye HL. If only some credible company could produce a similar form factor vape of similar build quality that was reliable and backed by quality customer service.....THAT would be ideal. As it has stood for 5 YEARS I have been unable to even recommend a Hopper to a friend. The Hopper mystique is strong my friend...I completely understand. But listen very closely....from me as a former champion of HL.....I WAS NEVER ABLE TO RECOMMEND TO A FRIEND THAT THEY SHOULD PURCHASE A HOPPER. Save yourself the frustrations. Sooner or later this company has got to fold....I'm only surprised that it hasn't happened already....and with them goes your ability to obtain a battery to even operate the device!

Last edited:

Vitolo

Vaporist
I consider myself fortunate indeed.
I have been using my OG Hopper for a year and a half, and have never had any issue.
Fact is, I am still using the original battery, even though I have other new ones ready.
My IO of course works well.... flawlessly, but I use it less, because I like the color indicator lights
on the OG. (You can see the color from across the room).
I have had only one contact with HL in all that time, and that was to purchase another front end.
I have acquired Hopper IO units for 3 patients approximately one year ago.
It is the daily driver... and only vape for one patient by their own choice.
My good luck with this unit, after all I have read, is amazing.
The only maintenance I have done for these 3 patients is deliver new silicone mouthpiece covers.
I'm saddened to read that a number of you have had issues with this company.
I hope they get their Customer Service under control... I would hate to see this vape vanish!

Last edited:
Top Bottom