Discontinued Hopper io

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
As an update. It seems that the purple lights are if the backend is tightened too much. A very slight loosening of the backend when it happens seems to be fixing the problem.

here’s hoping.....
Purple? The IO has only white light. Any other color than white is news to me. If you combine the red and blue lights of the OG then you get purple. I don’t know, maybe more indica…
:peace:

P.S. Confirmed: button on my OG spins and the button on my IO does not. Interesting. Likely a design enhancement.

Vaporific,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
As an update. It seems that the purple lights are if the backend is tightened too much. A very slight loosening of the backend when it happens seems to be fixing the problem.

here’s hoping.....
Glad it's working for you.
I guess we add this to the long list, developed over years, of superstitious behaviors that "seem" to work.
from a google search
What are superstitious behaviors?
Superstitious behavior arises when the delivery of a reinforcer or punisher occurs close together in time (temporal contiguity) with an independent behavior. Therefore, the behavior is accidentally reinforced or punished, increasing the likelihood of that behavior occurring again.
some of them live here; https://fuckcombustion.com/resources/grasshopper-fixes.11/
Purple? The IO has only white light. Any other color than white is news to me. If you combine the red and blue lights of the OG then you get purple. I don’t know, maybe more indica…
I believe he's been talking about an issue with og grasshopper.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Purple though? Maybe he meant blue? TGIF regards to all. :peace:
Maybe you should look at his first post again, @nonbeliever 's talking about seeing purple lights coming out of an og body (fitted with an io back end)

Not sure if you've seen it, but there's a maxvapor hopper adapter thread in the vapor equipment area, buried on page 4. One or two users posted threading issues. I was one of them, but that was with the first version before the slot. Max changed it to adapt to the new io brass threading. He identified hopper backend thread differences between OG and io. But, that's not your threading problem as I understood your post
Very interesting that @nonbeliever here is having an issue that is "corrected" by a certain torque on the io back end (in an og body). Makes me wonder what is the extent of the thread differences (noted by maxvapor).

nonbeliever

EDIT 3: To clarify, the LED light is on solid and appears to be flickering between red and blue or is lighting both colors simultaneously. You can see distinct Red and Blue light streams - though it shows purple. Occurs if the IO backend is tightened too tightly on my OG body (both SS). In this mode, the unit doesn’t heat. if I tighten the backend to the thread limit [completely], this ”purple LED” occurs. This is repeatable. If I back the backend tightness off an 1/8 of a turn or so, the LED goes to blue lights and the unit works fine. GBH3 batteries. EDIT 2: added photo.

Attachments

• 7C140CF5-57B5-4F2D-A9FF-6537FE6EEAA7.jpeg
    7C140CF5-57B5-4F2D-A9FF-6537FE6EEAA7.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I thought it was only a single led in there, capable of turning red or blue, now showing "both" -- but I've been mistaken before!
Hence the purple, I guess. I don’t recall reading about purple lights with the OG but I guess it’s possible in rare instances. :peace:

nonbeliever

Must be because it is just one led that changes color. I just confirmed that looking through the holes of my OG.
in looking closely while it is on, either the led is flickering, or is lighting both colors simultaneously. You can see from the photo I posted above there is both a blue and red light stream being emitted.it does appear to be one LED.

What’s the story with mixing io backends with og bodies? Do HL advise it? I guess the main improvement is the updated heater so should be ok, I have both but am nervous about trying it tbh.
My purple io has been a consistent beast for a week so far, loads pumped through it, averaging 5 full bowls without a flicker of LED’s which is amazing with the flickering light problems I’ve always had with most of my OG’s

EDIT 3: To clarify, the LED light is on solid and appears to be flickering between red and blue or is lighting both colors simultaneously. You can see distinct Red and Blue light streams - though it shows purple. Occurs if the IO backend is tightened too tightly on my OG body (both SS). In this mode, the unit doesn’t heat. if I tighten the backend to the thread limit [completely], this ”purple LED” occurs. This is repeatable. If I back the backend tightness off an 1/8 of a turn or so, the LED goes to blue lights and the unit works fine. GBH3 batteries. EDIT 2: added photo.
Seems similar to a heater problem I had years ago, very very fast red to blue but can’t tell from a pic, does it stay purple?

slartibartfast

Using this power adaptor really highlights for me how quickly the hopper/io kills batteries. I actually just combusted with a light load on level four. Thinking back to when I first got this and combusted, it was only on a brand new battery and I think I formed my assumptions on load because the battery had just lost the ability to drive the heater at max power even after one discharge/cycle. I'd been cycling through three batteries and noticed how I could only do two bowls now instead of the three I was doing brand new. I'm really glad I got this power adaptor. Great addition.

cliffhanger1

Using this power adaptor really highlights for me how quickly the hopper/io kills batteries. I actually just combusted with a light load on level four. Thinking back to when I first got this and combusted, it was only on a brand new battery and I think I formed my assumptions on load because the battery had just lost the ability to drive the heater at max power even after one discharge/cycle. I'd been cycling through three batteries and noticed how I could only do two bowls now instead of the three I was doing brand new. I'm really glad I got this power adaptor. Great addition.
does the new maxvapor kit work with your io or have you to buy an another ac adapter ?
comes the maxvapor adapter also with a sledge for 18650 batteries ?

Last edited:
cliffhanger1,
Reactions: seki

seki

does the new maxvapor kit work with your io or have you to buy an another ac adapter ?
comes the maxvapor adapter also with a sledge for 18650 batteries ?

thx :)
I think that's misleading because maxvapor shows a battery sledge on the picture. I find it disappointing, especially at the price

I actually asked about the 18650 sled when I placed the order for mine. I noticed it was in the pics, but someone also pointed out that it wasn't in the item description with the other parts listed in the kit. The response I got was that new, redesigned sleds were coming this September with improvements based on user feedback. I did ask if the older sleds were compatible, and they threw one in for free with my order:
hopper-adapter1.jpg

I can confirm this works great with an OG Hopper but I don't currently have an IO to test with. I'll probably pick up a newer sled depending on how it's been improved. This one feels pretty flimsy and I can see myself snapping it in half by accident one day
hopper-adapter2.jpg

cliffhanger1

ok but without battery sledge it is me very much to expensive.

then i have to buy extra AC adapter for the io which makes it very uninteresting
for io users i think

Last edited:
cliffhanger1,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Well, if you don't want to have to rely on batteries, it is still very interesting, at any price imo (I'm also glad Max is back!)

Anyway the tracking hopper labs gave me, saying that it should update within 24 hours, well naturally it did not update, and it says the label itself was created on June 14th, so yeah it's still been sitting has not been scanned by the post office or anything, are they just buying more time?? I'm about ready to demand the refund this week lol

ChooChooCharlie

Found the io brass thread pics Max took:

I had sent Max that io for testing. His machinist never returned it. Now I wonder if the machinist fused the threads himself during a fit? Suppose we'll never know. Perhaps that brave io sacrificed his life for the advancement of vaping gadgetry

Seems our helpful FC veteran @shitsnacks fell victim to thread fusion on that same page 14 of the "thread"

@seki , if you ever get an io for adapter use, here's link to post I made with a supersized, massive, heavy 10A DC converter. The human sized 5A brick from Max won't power the io

Note: the "preview" windows of FC links above show wrong posts, but correct page. Wow, angry post too

cliffhanger1

Well, if you don't want to have to rely on batteries, it is still very interesting, at any price imo (I'm also glad Max is back!)

Anyway the tracking hopper labs gave me, saying that it should update within 24 hours, well naturally it did not update, and it says the label itself was created on June 14th, so yeah it's still been sitting has not been scanned by the post office or anything, are they just buying more time?? I'm about ready to demand the refund this week lol
but then it isnt a portable vaporizer :(

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Seems our helpful FC veteran @shitsnacks fell victim to thread fusion on that same page 14 of the "thread"

Haha yeah my original SS back end, that's why I bought an old new old TI unit from vgoodiez, though it turned out to be running cold, I could use its back end with the original SS body and I was back in business using my max vapor PA! Max also took very good care of me, sending me a complete new setup, and thank you for linking that IO power supply because I may end up doing that with mine, should it ever arrive!

but then it isnt a portable vaporizer :(

Well yeah, but my experience is it's a pretty poor actual portable vaporizer... The PA made my OG useful again!

Top Bottom