Discontinued Hopper io

SquirrelMaster

Just opened my brand new IO. The extra battery was stuck onto the magnetic charger in the bottom of the box, totally bare.

Looking up into my heater it looks like this

Seems like I need to contact Hopper? There's no way to disassemble that part right? I haven't poked at it yet but it almost looks like goop not solder, not that that matters if I can't pull it apart to clean.

Trace

I was considering the SS io, but also considering the amount of returns and pictures like the one above, it's getting extremely hard to justify taking the chance on them. I'm probably going to stick to joints for now or look into a Volcano Hybrid or something.

Far too many new faulty units for my liking as much as I really want to pull the trigger.

jabba

Just opened my brand new IO. The extra battery was stuck onto the magnetic charger in the bottom of the box, totally bare.

Looking up into my heater it looks like this

Seems like I need to contact Hopper? There's no way to disassemble that part right? I haven't poked at it yet but it almost looks like goop not solder, not that that matters if I can't pull it apart to clean.
The only place I've seen such a view is in previous recent posts. Honestly I'm not even sure what I am seeing so I certainly cannot offer any assistance. I could only assume that view is sans a screen that should be present atop? Something is very wrong with your assembly. HL doesn't seem to be able to consistently walk without tripping over their own feet. Very discouraging.

What are those 3 flanges sticking out into the chamber near the top?

jabba

I think the “3 flanges” are just little depressions/notches in the plastic that are catching the light. I just looked at mine and they are almost invisible but still there.
Your eyes are better than mine are lol. I just pulled my SS out to take a look myself and thought "wow this is so small compared to that photo"

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I don’t understand how they can ship new units with solder dripped all over the bottom of the oven or without a top screen. I really don’t. You think they’d learn by now all the QC missteps from the OG. I guess I was fortunate with my IO that it was fine save for a couple of scratches it came with and terribly dirty backend threads (which cleaned up easy enough before first use). I thought HL was making strides in all areas but apparently not or something slipped recently with QC. I won’t speculate but the above pics blatantly show poor QC let alone missing a top screen on a few.

I’m enjoying my new cheap glass j hook with my IO and able to turn up the temp with it too (hence the reason). My IO continues to shine several months in and my poor OG just sits unused but it’s good to have a Hopper backup, well, because it’s a Hopper - and small and very pocketable for quick on-the-go excursions as well as for home. It’ll be fun to mate it with my new glass double perc rig (used only with my TM so far). Hope everyone gets to remediate their Hopper issues quickly and satisfactorily. :peace:

SquirrelMaster

The only place I've seen such a view is in previous recent posts. Honestly I'm not even sure what I am seeing so I certainly cannot offer any assistance. I could only assume that view is sans a screen that should be present atop? Something is very wrong with your assembly. HL doesn't seem to be able to consistently walk without tripping over their own feet. Very discouraging.

What are those 3 flanges sticking out into the chamber near the top?
That view was looking up into the body when I removed the front end. Is there normally another screen up in there? As @zymos said, my picture caught the light just right. For those 3 little marks. I zoomed in a bit otherwise it's tough for me to see too lol.

Hopper Labs got back to me this morning and said they'll send me a new body. I'm happy with the response and response time I just hope they send it today, shipping is slooooow to Canada.

jabba

That view was looking up into the body when I removed the front end. Is there normally another screen up in there? As @zymos said, my picture caught the light just right. For those 3 little marks. I zoomed in a bit otherwise it's tough for me to see too lol.

Hopper Labs got back to me this morning and said they'll send me a new body. I'm happy with the response and response time I just hope they send it today, shipping is slooooow to Canada.
I understand the view....but your view of that body interior/chamber is not normal. There is typically a nice looking continuous screen mounted inside there...no screws...no solder....just a screen. Perhaps my view would be the same if my inner/body screen were removed? I dunno....I've never removed it or tried to remove it. Hell...I didn't know it was removeable....and I don't think that it is supposed to be (user) removeable! lol

SquirrelMaster

I understand the view....but your view of that body interior/chamber is not normal. There is typically a nice looking continuous screen mounted inside there...no screws...no solder....just a screen. Perhaps my view would be the same if my inner/body screen were removed? I dunno....I've never removed it or tried to remove it. Hell...I didn't know it was removeable....and I don't think that it is supposed to be (user) removeable! lol

This was how it came with the tip unscrewed) so they must have forgetten to install a screen when it was assembled. The only other built in screen I can see is in the end of the mouthpiece.

Thinking of the mouthpiece, mine was filthy when it arrived. Little black bits came out when I soaked mine in ISO, same with the PFE. The only other vape I've received like this is a few Dynavaps so I highly recommend new owners give a good deep clean.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
This was how it came with the tip unscrewed) so they must have forgetten to install a screen when it was assembled. The only other built in screen I can see is in the end of the mouthpiece.

Thinking of the mouthpiece, mine was filthy when it arrived. Little black bits came out when I soaked mine in ISO, same with the PFE. The only other vape I've received like this is a few Dynavaps so I highly recommend new owners give a good deep clean.
It's harder to see in yours because of all the gray gunk (which definitely shouldn't be there) but if on it you see the 3 markings on the screen in @scion34's pic, that means it is missing the chamber's 'actual' screen that your bud sits on, like his is. The chamber screen is uniform, all holes.
WOW just got a hubble bubble and its AMAZING..My old glass now has no use or purpose anymore...The new updated design is night and day. Absolutely no water touches your mouth at all and you can empty out a hopper IO in record time:lol:

Nice looking, and I like the bend for the mouth piece.
I have been using glass like this with io, but dry. The logic I read (thanks @DDave ) is that better flavor is maintained than with water, and cooling still achieved by longer, glass vapor path.
It also enhances portability!

MonkeyTime

It's harder to see in yours because of all the gray gunk (which definitely shouldn't be there) but if on it you see the 3 markings on the screen in @scion34's pic, that means it is missing the chamber's 'actual' screen that your bud sits on, like his is. The chamber screen is uniform, all holes.

Nice looking, and I like the bend for the mouth piece.
I have been using glass like this with io, but dry. The logic I read (thanks @DDave ) is that better flavor is maintained than with water, and cooling still achieved by longer, glass vapor path.
It also enhances portability!
@tryingtowin , just got one myself and love it too!

A couple of silicone plugs and she's portable @vapviking !

I used a ddave style dry for years, to me when used dry, they hold flavors too much! Used dry the reclaim taste was stronger than what I thought I was losing in flavor, and before this piece I was dry, now I'm back on the water wagon!

tryingtowin

@tryingtowin , just got one myself and love it too!

A couple of silicone plugs and she's portable @vapviking !

I used a ddave style dry for years, to me when used dry, they hold flavors too much! Used dry the reclaim taste was stronger than what I thought I was losing in flavor, and before this piece I was dry, now I'm back on the water wagon!
compared to my straight one the curve makes all the difference..Told a friend it was life changing....I stand by my words :lol:

SquirrelMaster

No email from Hopper this week with an updated tracking number to replace the bad body they sent me. Does Hopper only doing shipments once a week?

SquirrelMaster,

jabba

No email from Hopper this week with an updated tracking number to replace the bad body they sent me. Does Hopper only doing shipments once a week?
Check under your orders... Even if it says 'still processing'.... Open the order and see if you can see whether a tracking number has been added. I think they place the tracking number below where you see your own address when your item has shipped

vapviking

Old & In the Way
If you went thru warranty portal, you would get a shipping notice (as @zymos did).
If your deal was done simply via emails, as-in, "we'll send you a new one, you send the old one back" then you would not get a special email about shipping, but if you're getting anxious you could email and ask if it went out yet.

jabba

I sent brand new Ti io in for repair....it was not running hot enough to be useful and it was obvious that something wasn't right. I requested RMA on 01/21. On 01/24 they requested that I return the device to them. I shipped priority mail to Colorado. The repair is reported to have been completed without description (only "your unit has been repaired") and per USPS I expect to receive the repaired or replaced unit tomorrow. Assuming that the repair was successful....I'll be very pleased with the service. That said...it would have been nice to have a functioning Hopper from the time of my original date of purchase when new lol....but such is life. A fully functional Hopper is worth a bit of my trouble imo.

zymos

Strange- mine had the same issue but they shipped a replacement body first and asked me to return mine when I get it.
My replacement is out for delivery, I’ll report back later. (I live less than 500 miles south of HL, but for some reason USPS decided my package needed to spend some time in Las Vegas NV on the way :-) )

Boxxy

Oh look, Hopper Labs have missed the January 2021 Estimated Shipping Time for Colour Ti units... after missing the November 2020 Estimated Shipping Time... after missing the July 2020 Estimated Shipping Time...

I understand the pandemic has thrown a huge spanner in the works (on top of their already problematic history of delivery dates) but why offer the Colour Ti units for sale if they are unable to get them anodized? Like just tell me they are unavailable and offer to change my order, not the constant 'just another month of waiting' they keep feeding us. :cuss:

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

zymos

I agree they should offer to change to plain instead of just keep saying it will be shipping soon.
But if you ask them, they’ll send you a plain one right away.

zymos,

jabba

Strange- mine had the same issue but they shipped a replacement body first and asked me to return mine when I get it.
My replacement is out for delivery, I’ll report back later. (I live less than 500 miles south of HL, but for some reason USPS decided my package needed to spend some time in Las Vegas NV on the way :-) )
Mine is in Las Vegas as well.....also NOT a direct route to my mailbox given that I am in an adjacent state to Colorado lol. Strange times.

jabba,

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Mine is in Las Vegas as well.....also NOT a direct route to my mailbox given that I am in an adjacent state to Colorado lol. Strange times.
Is there a Hopper convention in Vegas we are unaware of? I hope you both get your units back soon. Great turnaround time for RMA assuming it’s indeed the same unit (I’d check the serial number just in case).

And speaking of cases, nah, I won’t discuss the steel case that never came to be 5.5 years later. Nah, won’t do it :).

I used my OG Ti for the first time in weeks maybe a month or two over the weekend. Still works - I used it natively of course - but I appreciate the IO power, vapor consistency and improved air flow more. Next time I’ll use my PFE with the OG; I seldom use it with my IO and there’s little reason to use it with the IO, IMO. :peace:

Top Bottom