• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

kilo

If the io has more power, better battery life, cool back-end, and no flashing lights...I'll be happy.
You'll be happy.

I recently went on a Lotus kick for a few weeks. I bought one for a friend and wanted to get back into the hang of using it. As most of you know, it's a well-regarded butane vape and delivers tasty clouds. When retail sales were legalized in my state a few weeks ago I went out on the first day and bought some Gorilla Glue 4. For some reason I just wasn't getting the hits that I expected on the Lotus; they seemed a little thin. So a few days ago I tried packing some into my io. The results were just what I expected — a long heavy hit and a thick cloudy exhalation. Honestly, it hits harder than my FlowerPot — it just takes longer to go through an eighth of an ounce!

I think the particular problem with the Lotus (which I like very much) was a combination of the moisture level of the bud and the efficiency of the torch (fuel was running low). I've gotten some epic draws off of it, but none that compare to the io.

jabba

You'll be happy.

I recently went on a Lotus kick for a few weeks. I bought one for a friend and wanted to get back into the hang of using it. As most of you know, it's a well-regarded butane vape and delivers tasty clouds. When retail sales were legalized in my state a few weeks ago I went out on the first day and bought some Gorilla Glue 4. For some reason I just wasn't getting the hits that I expected on the Lotus; they seemed a little thin. So a few days ago I tried packing some into my io. The results were just what I expected — a long heavy hit and a thick cloudy exhalation. Honestly, it hits harder than my FlowerPot — it just takes longer to go through an eighth of an ounce!

I think the particular problem with the Lotus (which I like very much) was a combination of the moisture level of the bud and the efficiency of the torch (fuel was running low). I've gotten some epic draws off of it, but none that compare to the io.
I got my trade in credit and I ordered the SS io for $185. I always preferred the 'feel' of my SS vs. the Titanium between my original two GHoppers. I traded in my SS which seems to work fine but not quite as well as my nearly unused Titanium OG. So I will have an OG Titanium and a new SS io.

Sidenote: Back in 2016 I bought a 'backup' hopper just in case one failed. I never really needed the backup truth be told...in part because one never completely failed me...and likely in part because I am only an occasional user.

I'm looking forward to the possibility of using the io a bit more and am excited to see the progression of the Grasshopper. Now cheers to receiving my order in a timely fashion lol!

MonkeyTime

Ok, this is getting old.... Has anyone else been asked to return their charger with their OG unit(s) as part of the trade in for an IO?

While we all know some haven't, I'm trying to work this out with them and they keep insisting no one has been offered anything different. I'm tempted to start emailing them from different email addresses until I get the (from my understanding) standard offer.

MonkeyTime,

DryBonesufo

Hey guys so I’ve shopped on Vapospy and saw some deals for the Hopper OG. I also see that on the Hopper OG site that batteries are available as well.... should I take the plunge? It’s from Weedipedia not from hopper labs.... I’ve read so many defects about the Grasshopper just wondering if it’s worth it.

DryBonesufo,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Ok, this is getting old.... Has anyone else been asked to return their charger with their OG unit(s) as part of the trade in for an IO?

While we all know some haven't, I'm trying to work this out with them and they keep insisting no one has been offered anything different. I'm tempted to start emailing them from different email addresses until I get the (from my understanding) standard offer.
Could they be making a distinction between swapping for warranty vs. trading-in a working unit? (Is yours a working unit?)
My deal had nothing to do with returning charger(s); to be clear, I had 2 og's on the long-standing rma list (awaiting the go-ahead to return for service).
Once we had an agreement, HL created an order in my account with the reduced-price io, I paid, they sent it right out, and then I returned the 2 og's.

My deal was in July; I wonder if they even now have an actual, published policy about these swaps and the terms.

MonkeyTime

Could they be making a distinction between swapping for warranty vs. trading-in a working unit? (Is yours a working unit?)
My deal had nothing to do with returning charger(s); to be clear, I had 2 og's on the long-standing rma list (awaiting the go-ahead to return for service).
Once we had an agreement, HL created an order in my account with the reduced-price io, I paid, they sent it right out, and then I returned the 2 og's.

My deal was in July; I wonder if they even now have an actual, published policy about these swaps and the terms.
That thought had crossed my mind also, but he was pretty clear in stating his opinion that this was the only offer they've ever offered.

A simple explanation would have been acceptable to me, but it actually read fairly rude as if I was trying to get something for nothing.

That's the only reason I asked or brought it up again, trying to see if anyone else has been given this version now recently or at all.

Both units run too cold to be effective, my opening email referenced that and that the ability to get them in for an RMA wasn't available, and that a trade in would be a great win for both sides. Maybe it was just bad luck of the draw :hmm:

slozukimc

That thought had crossed my mind also, but he was pretty clear in stating his opinion that this was the only offer they've ever offered.

A simple explanation would have been acceptable to me, but it actually read fairly rude as if I was trying to get something for nothing.

That's the only reason I asked or brought it up again, trying to see if anyone else has been given this version now recently or at all.

Both units run too cold to be effective, my opening email referenced that and that the ability to get them in for an RMA wasn't available, and that a trade in would be a great win for both sides. Maybe it was just bad luck of the draw :hmm:
I have an OG Ti that was supposedly damaged in the fire. I was told I could get $80 trade in for it. They only have the Hopper, no charger or MP. I don’t want to spend more money. A friend gave me an IO and that has been warrantied twice.

nonbeliever

I have an OG Ti that was supposedly damaged in the fire. I was told I could get $80 trade in for it. They only have the Hopper, no charger or MP. I don’t want to spend more money. A friend gave me an IO and that has been warrantied twice.
I’d make them fix the OG.. I’m with you. Wouldn’t keep feeding them cash.

nonbeliever,
Reactions: slozukimc

jabba

I just did a trade for one of my two OG's for a new SS io. It was really very simple/easy and fast. I mailed my SS OG last Thursday and will be receiving the SS io tomorrow according to USPS. Yes....they did ask for the charger. I thought it peculiar...but they did want the unit and charger returned. Not a problem for me as I have both original chargers in original boxes with original stickers etc. I never once used the OG charger and instead always used a Nitecore.

Here is their exact email in response to my request for a trade-in credit:
Hi X,

Thanks for contacting us. Yes you can get $80 off a new unit. You need to send your unit, and charger to:

Hopper labs Trade in
4571 Broadway
Boulder, CO 80304

Once you provide tracking by replying to this email you should add the device you would like to your shopping cart. We can then apply the discount.

Thanks,

Hopper Labs Support

jabba

Yee Haw. Early arrival today on the SS io. Unsurprisingly it looks just like my previous OG SS. GBH3 printed battery included. My OG SS required a little press down and turn to change temps...this has no space and thus just requires a turn (no push down needed). All cleaned up and ready to go...I'll give it a whirl this evening. Such a cool and well designed device.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
What would cause a battery to not want to come out of a Hopper? That happened with my 8 week new IO Ti with battery #2 which is relatively new (fire replacement batch labeled GHB2 allegedly in a 3’s configuration - at least that’s what HL said). If it ever happened with my OG Hopper in 4.5 years I don’t recall. It’s stored in its usual place in the house too. And yes I do keep a battery in a Hopper and not too long either in general - I use my IO frequently, if not daily every other day.

I’m enjoying the IO and like it a lot. Having an OG Hopper breeds familiarity with everything and the power, while understandably increased, and improved battery management make it a more reliable (so far!) device. Oh yeah, and better quality control too. I still think the IO is a bit untamed temp-wise when used natively - vapor is always hot no matter the temp and I notice slight irritation after use. Not so natively with other vapes I own. That’s why my Hoppers can’t be a daily driver for me any longer but they still have a place in my lineup. :peace:

Vaporific,

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
What would cause a battery to not want to come out of a Hopper? That happened with my 8 week new IO Ti with battery #2 which is relatively new (fire replacement batch labeled GHB2 allegedly in a 3’s configuration - at least that’s what HL said). If it ever happened with my OG Hopper in 4.5 years I don’t recall. It’s stored in its usual place in the house too. And yes I do keep a battery in a Hopper and not too long either in general - I use my IO frequently, if not daily every other day.

I’m enjoying the IO and like it a lot. Having an OG Hopper breeds familiarity with everything and the power, while understandably increased, and improved battery management make it a more reliable (so far!) device. Oh yeah, and better quality control too. I still think the IO is a bit untamed temp-wise when used natively - vapor is always hot no matter the temp and I notice slight irritation after use. Not so natively with other vapes I own. That’s why my Hoppers can’t be a daily driver for me any longer but they still have a place in my lineup. :peace:
I just looked at my Hopper IO and I don't see anything inside that would prevent the battery from coming out besides the threading at the top. I think it's either that the battery is beginning to swell or maybe when you've put the battery in something was stuck on it's side and since there's not a lot of space between the body of the Hopper and the battery it's stuck there. Does the battery move a little or is it completely stuck inside?

Last edited:

Vaporific

I just looked at my Hopper IO and I don't see anything inside that would prevent the battery from coming out besides the threading at the top. I think it's either that the battery is beginning to swell or maybe when you've put the battery in something was stuck on it's side and since there's not a lot of space between the body of the Hopper and the battery it's stuck there. Does the battery move a little or is it completely stuck inside?
After several shakes it did finally slide just to the opening so I could extract it out. I don’t have anything on the battery except a marking with indelible pen: “2”. I doubt that’s the issue. What would cause a battery to expand? I put in #3 and that went in fine, came out too after a draw. :peace:

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
After several shakes it did finally slide just to the opening so I could extract it out. I don’t have anything on the battery except a marking with indelible pen: “2”. I doubt that’s the issue. What would cause a battery to expand? I put in #3 and that went in fine, came out too after a draw. :peace:
Good news. Does the battery look different than the others? If you put the battery back in the hopper (not all the way of course) positive first and negative first, is it a tight fit? If you are lucky this will be a one time deal and won't ever happen again, but if it look like the battery is the problem you should contact Hopper just to be safe. At least you can now use the vape.

Modicum

Is there anyone still waiting for their Hopper i o since paying the $99. reg fee and ordering 1 in April 2020 ? I've asked Hopper i o twice since Sept. with no answers they just let me know that the batts are in ,how many you want? Might anyone know of some one that has the ability to give me some answers? Are there any other frustrated customers out there in the same position I'm in? Comment ?

Modicum,

jabba

So...I have had two OG Hoppers in both Ti and SS since 2016. I just traded my SS for an SS io. I have the GHB1 batteries...GHB2 batteries (that I've had a long while now...not the more recent batches)....and now I have three of the newest GHB3 batts.

The new GHB3 batts are ever-so-slightly larger in diameter when compared to my other 7 batteries of GHB1/GHB2 varieties. The difference is quite small....but when inserted into the Hopper body...the difference becomes obvious and immediately apparent. Additionally, I had purchased (years ago) a 3D printed battery case that holds 4 batts. While the new GHB3 batts do fit in this old battery case....it is a VERY tight fit. The other previous batteries fit the case perfectly and slide in and out with just a hint of resistance. The new 3rd gen batts require that I pull, fondle and manipulate them to remove them from the case.

I haven't had trouble retrieving the new batts out of my hopper body(ies). That said, i would imagine that if your body is the least bit misshapen...or if you somehow have the battery pushed in at a slight angle (if even possible)....the battery could get stuck. These latest batteries that I received are no doubt just a hair bigger in diameter when compared to previous batts.

ymmv

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Is there anyone still waiting for their Hopper i o since paying the $99. reg fee and ordering 1 in April 2020 ? I've asked Hopper i o twice since Sept. with no answers they just let me know that the batts are in ,how many you want? Might anyone know of some one that has the ability to give me some answers? Are there any other frustrated customers out there in the same position I'm in? Comment ?
Can you access your order, so you can pay the balance?
They have been shipping io's for months.
Maybe @VGOODIEZ (are you still here?) can be some help, in a situation like this.

fogbank

Yes I was asked to return my chargers along with my OG Hoppers. I opened RMAs for both OG Hoppers that I wanted to trade in. Both were older and not working correctly. I did not just ask for credit on working OG Hoppers.

Vaporific

The new GHB3 batts are ever-so-slightly larger in diameter when compared to my other 7 batteries of GHB1/GHB2 varieties. The difference is quite small....but when inserted into the Hopper body...the difference becomes obvious and immediately apparent.
Interesting observation. Once I received my fire replacement batts, all marked “GHB2” allegedly 3’s and one marked “GHB3”, I discarded all my previous ones. I have nothing to compare them to nor do I recall this issue before. I don’t think anything is wrong with my IO Ti body and the newer batts could be a slight bit fatter. as you suggest. I might look into the battery holder you mentioned as I’ve bought item from Delta3DStudios before (great stuff!) including the first generation leather case (my fave Hopper accessory bar none, well except for the second generation leather sleeve from HL itself). It’s only happened with one battery so far. I’m wondering if excessive heat or cold could make them swell or the body contracted a bit? Not a huge deal (so far) and just throwing out my minor issue out here. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for any further issues. Cheers. :peace:

jabba

Interesting observation. Once I received my fire replacement batts, all marked “GHB2” allegedly 3’s and one marked “GHB3”, I discarded all my previous ones. I have nothing to compare them to nor do I recall this issue before. I don’t think anything is wrong with my IO Ti body and the newer batts could be a slight bit fatter. as you suggest. I might look into the battery holder you mentioned as I’ve bought item from Delta3DStudios before (great stuff!) including the first generation leather case (my fave Hopper accessory bar none, well except for the second generation leather sleeve from HL itself). It’s only happened with one battery so far. I’m wondering if excessive heat or cold could make them swell or the body contracted a bit? Not a huge deal (so far) and just throwing out my minor issue out here. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for any further issues. Cheers. :peace:

I'm only one day into this SS io....but WOWZA. Just freaking awesome. I don't know yet how long the battery will last.....but it really is instantaneous. I use native only....and have tried it on setting 2 then up toward 3. For a single user incognito flower vape....there is no substitute for the grasshopper. I'll update after I become more familiar....but I am very impressed. Enough so that I might just trade in my perfectly working and barely used OG titanium to have a backup io. Honeymooning now for sure...but loving it so far.

Vaporific

Enough so that I might just trade in my perfectly working and barely used OG titanium to have a backup io.
Glad you’re liking it! Me too though I still think it runs hot vapor wise, the body and frontend are very cool and don’t get that warm compared to my OG Hopper (also a Ti). I’ve never tried a SS and curious a bit too, also your idea about trading in my OG for a... IO SS. We’ll see. If I get bored perhaps I’ll take the plunge but my OG Hopper still works, just not as consistent as I would like and especially compared to my IO Ti. :peace:

slozukimc

I would keep the battery that has swolen in a can or something away from flammables. It could be defective and will keep swelling and eventually explode.

MoltenTiger

Heard a few reports of large or swolen cells now. Possibly just a different supplier getting the spec wrong or different. Hopefully the cells aren't actually swelling - that is not a good sign and with the previous batch being recalled, it's concerning.
Definitely take precautions with batteries like that, especially if they have changed. If they were once easy to insert and are now getting caught on removal, that's a big red flag..

JoeKickass

I've never seen a cylindrical lithium battery swell, usually that is only an issue with the polymer batteries that are wrapped in foil...

I really hope GHV doesn't go down in history are creating the world's first swelling cylindrical lithium battery!

slozukimc

I've never seen a cylindrical lithium battery swell, usually that is only an issue with the polymer batteries that are wrapped in foil...

I really hope GHV doesn't go down in history are creating the world's first swelling cylindrical lithium battery!

Here are a couple examples from a quick search.

Top Bottom