hyatt-hearts.jpg

Can ignore that traffic sign, no stopping on red

(using new "China" batt from last Fall)
from full to blinking low: 4 chambers

Went native for this test, at 4 on dial
Three sets of 12-15 second draws per chamber

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Tracking still shows my package in Colorado, so chances are it's not happening today unless they just haven't been scanning. Hopefully still this weekend.
Mike shipped out in a Friday and I got it on Monday, I’m in SoCal btw.

Lovin' the io, night and day

hyatt-hearts.jpg

Can ignore that traffic sign, no stopping on red

(using new "China" batt from last Fall)
from full to blinking low: 4 chambers

Went native for this test, at 4 on dial
Three sets of 12-15 second draws per chamber
Nice. I think if you use it in that manner you will get more out of the battery. For example, I use it of 3 or 3&1/2 so I’m able to take more draws but the battery won’t last as long. When using it at 4 right away I’m able to finish off the chamber in a few draws. If the new battery is more powerful/efficient, I wonder how many chambers it will be able to vape before it runs out of power.

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Mike shipped out in a Friday and I got it on Monday, I’m in SoCal btw.

Nice. I think if you use it in that manner you will get more out of the battery. For example, I use it of 3 or 3&1/2 so I’m able to take more draws but the battery won’t last as long. When using it at 4 right away I’m able to finish off the chamber in a few draws. If the new battery is more powerful/efficient, I wonder how many chambers it will be able to vape before it runs out of power.

Well said, using the higher temps and vaping the material faster is going to yield more efficient "number of chambers" results.

kilo

I'd always liked to ladder up the scale, starting at 2 and finishing on 5 but lately I just set it 5 and keep it there. I'm using either a regular glass j-hook or the Lotus VaporScope and the vapor isn't hot at all. With a half dozen batteries in rotation they're all still going strong and I get 2 - 3 bowls on a battery. Set at 5, there's hardly any wait for the vapor to form and I think that helps save battery life.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Honestly not getting as dense of vapor as quickly as I would expect from a more powerful heater. I'm assuming and hoping it's just because of the weaker batteries but it's not super impressive compared to some of the OG hoppers I've owned over the years. I will say though that the back end threads, the smoothness of the dial, and the lights are all massive improvements over the OG hopper. When my power adapter gets in from @maxvapor710 I think I'll be able to judge it a little more accurately. It DOES get nice and thick eventually but a lot of my OG hoppers would get to the same vapor density in about a quarter of the time it takes for the io to build up to it.

ChooChooCharlie

Honestly not getting as dense of vapor as quickly as I would expect from a more powerful heater. I'm assuming and hoping it's just because of the weaker batteries but it's not super impressive compared to some of the OG hoppers I've owned over the years. I will say though that the back end threads, the smoothness of the dial, and the lights are all massive improvements over the OG hopper. When my power adapter gets in from @maxvapor710 I think I'll be able to judge it a little more accurately. It DOES get nice and thick eventually but a lot of my OG hoppers would get to the same vapor density in about a quarter of the time it takes for the io to build up to it.

Wanted apples to apples, so:
used same battery, swapped after charging
same grind, herb, funnel pack style
same TiChillum 35 second draw, one hit style

All SS, left to right: io, 2019, 2017

three-hopper-avb.jpg

That middle 2019 was bought a few months ago, has a super hot back end, chars above 3 on dial as you can see, probably not long for this world

My gut feeling is the temps on io are more true over length of a long draw. Know I've had a few hot ones in the past

guyonthecouch

Ya, most likely battery related. Also PFE > stock FE = instant milkage :tup:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Okay, okay - my least favorite HL topic: batteries. I know from past experience with these 16850s that there was inconsistencies with capacity to hold charges. Are the new GBH3s the same characteristically as the previous ones? Are there any improvements in the batteries themselves? I know the io has lots of performer and efficiency improvements to to take advantage of the cell, and perhaps one day I’ll experience this for myself.

So the question really is: would a pristine and optimally stored GBH2 with capacity to hold a full charge be any less powerful or worse than a GBH3? Regardless if using it in an io or legacy Hopper? It the battery specs are the same (forget the exterior matting/finish) what advantage is the GBH3 over GBH2, besides it being newer and possibly hold a bit more of a charge?

Cheers. :peace::peace:

guyonthecouch

Okay, okay - my least favorite HL topic: batteries. I know from past experience with these 16850s that there was inconsistencies with capacity to hold charges. Are the new GBH3s the same characteristically as the previous ones? Are there any improvements in the batteries themselves? I know the io has lots of performer and efficiency improvements to to take advantage of the cell, and perhaps one day I’ll experience this for myself.

So the question really is: would a pristine and optimally stored GBH2 with capacity to hold a full charge be any less powerful or worse than a GBH3? Regardless if using it in an io or legacy Hopper? It the battery specs are the same (forget the exterior matting/finish) what advantage is the GBH3 over GBH2, besides it being newer and possibly hold a bit more of a charge?

Cheers. :peace::peace:

GHB3s haven't landed yet. An optimal GHB2 pushes out 4-6 chambers depending on users method of use.

The last batch of GHB2s were great, I didn't have any issues and 2x of mine still hold charge like new. The GHB1s and first GHB2s had the issues you're describing.

The future is INSTANT. :borg:

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
I've got a PFE, doesn't make much difference. The io has more air flow with the regular tip than OG does with PFE.

GHB3s haven't landed yet. An optimal GHB2 pushes out 4-6 chambers depending on users method of use.
I've never gotten more than 3 chambers ever with a ghb1 or ghb2 with plenty of different hoppers over the years. 3 has always been the absolute max for me.

guyonthecouch

I've never gotten more than 3 chambers ever with a ghb1 or ghb2 with plenty of different hoppers over the years. 3 has always been the absolute max for me.

Bummer, hopefully the new batteries will land soon and you'll see what I'm talking about!

With optimal batt(GHB2 received a few months ago) every charge I'm getting 4x chambers through glass rig, 1-2x draws on temp 4-5.

Without glass, 1st draw on temp 1 - mmm delish, 2nd draw on temp 2, 3rd draw temp 3-4 depending on strain etc. 5-6x chambers.

Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
All good comments and observations above. I’m still curious whether a new GHB3 would be any better than a new GHB2, assuming they’re characteristically the same? Some folks above implied YES and I’m curious as to why? The io is purportedly more efficient with power handling which compares OG Hopper to the io, however I’m curious about any battery differences. Of course the GHB3s haven’t really dropped yet so I’ll be curious when they do.

Took my OG Hopper on a long drive to northern NH yesterday. Beautiful scenery and snow still on the ground and slopes up there. I was happy just looking at it and clearing the head for several hours. And stretching the new vehicle a bit. Splendid isolation...:peace:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
When I first got my 2019 GH, it came with 2 glossy label batteries (unit and batts said to have been bought in October 2019) and those 2 batteries were giving me 5-6 bowls per charge.

I am lucky to get 2 bowls now on any of the batteries I have.

I seriously cannot do 1 hit on those glossy label batts now without getting blinking lights. I took them from full capacity to dead, and that hopper is still kickin...!

Got a bit off topic for sure but yeah, I am hoping the GHB3 perform equal or better to those GHB2 did, and with better longevity...

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
When I first got my 2019 GH, it came with 2 glossy label batteries (unit and batts said to have been bought in October 2019) and those 2 batteries were giving me 5-6 bowls per charge.

Interesting.

I recently found a source for some brand new OG Ti Hoppers. I got them cheap enough where I decided to get a small handful. They just arrived today. They have glossy battery wraps. I charged the battery full (it came about 3/4 full which is best for long term battery storage and generally where manufacturers ship them at). Only one cycle but so far, so good. Hopper performing as it should. No hot back end and no flickering lights. I'll let you know how many sessions I get out of the battery.

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

Did either the GHB1 or GHB1 have amperage ratings? I don't see a mention of it on Hopper's site and the same goes for the GHB3.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
That's the reason I don't have my Ti hopper anymore.

Hasn't been a huge issue here as I was using other vapes while waiting for the io/power adapter/GHB3 ... just didn't expect to have the io so soon, so I lagged on my power adapter payment.

Hopefully will be able to comment on that by this weekend. I'd gladly rock my io as a daily, on-the-go vape if I was getting those 5-6 bowls consistently again... and here's to hoping it will be an even higher number with the GHB3+io combo.

Also - I suspect I did 300+ bowls in the process of draining those glossy label batteries with my SS legacy hopper.

I was waiting for the infamous hopper disappointment/etc... which has still never come. I am not sure if I am just lucky or if the newer 2019 hoppers (and the ios) are more resilient... but coming from someone who has only owned a hopper since Oct/Nov 2019... I have no complaints besides the batteries, and considering the size/mAh of the GHB, and the way I abused them (rapid charge/discharge cycles...) ... I'm really not too upset at all.

Last edited:

ChooChooCharlie

This afternoon I began an io battery life test
One 35 second draw, at 4 on dial
Spaced chambers for cool down
Kept a list with times

eleven-io.jpg

Um...WTF!? And I don't mean my handwriting. Was not expecting this after prior test

Low battery one second blank flashes appeared during last five seconds of 11th chamber. Cloud and avb were as good as first. Friggin' impressive, shocking really

HL, please explain. Did you tune it for long draws? Or some pact with the devil?

hopperhead

This afternoon I began an io battery life test
One 35 second draw, at 4 on dial
Spaced chambers for cool down
Kept a list with times

eleven-io.jpg

Um...WTF!? And I don't mean my handwriting. Was not expecting this after prior test

Low battery one second blank flashes appeared during last five seconds of 11th chamber. Cloud and avb were as good as first. Friggin' impressive, shocking really

HL, please explain. Did you tune it for long draws? Or some pact with the devil?
uhhhh wtf you got 11 different bowls???

hopperhead,
Top Bottom