Discontinued Hopper io

JBone65

Colorado Tech Supply was set up in 2016, address the same as Hopper Labs, so that part isn't particularly new - but-

The dissolution of CTS in March 22 speaks volumes.

Ît looks like you exposed the dissolution of HL's parent company. It's a sad day IMO.

My io has issues (like me) but it's still amazing (like me, in my own mind😁), although only using about one load per day due to battery concerns. Hoping to receive a battery ordered (and paid for) 18 days ago.

Also temp-stepping with the old EZ Vape out in the garage, it's working a lot better. Takes 5 minutes to warm up, and might only get two hits at a time. Also using more weed with it, but the hits are amazing. It's cheap Okie weed, what the hell does it matter? Getting ~10 hits per 0.3 g load, maybe 2/3 as efficient as the io. Hitting first at 240° then increasing by 10° each hit. Even the 10th hit at 330° is strong, and the load is reduced to dark brown powder and ready to ignite after that. I seriously doubt these are the actual temperatures, it's probably different with other devices. I finally realized I could disconnect the wand sooner, it continues hitting 5-10 seconds while cooling like the io, and it stinks less when not in use.

Have reached out to Alan at Heat Island. I'm in the process of ordering a bamboo log. I suspect I'll enjoy it. :tup:

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Ît looks like you exposed the dissolution of HL's parent company. It's a sad day IMO.
It has that look, but it is not confirmed that this is by any means the demise of Hoppe Labs. That is still only our speculation.
And again, the "Discontinued" designation is only an FC label at this time.

I ordered batteries back around 4/20 and received around 5/24 or so..

We'll be curious to see how the log experience goes!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
The portable I'm happiest with as an alternate is the TUBOx, a Tetra could be worth a shot. I'd toss up between that and a TinyMight, but for now I just think they won't be enough of a step up from my Xmax V3 Pro, I get great ABV and decent results. It's super efficient with my Fury2/Xmax WPA mod, and works very well, if I were to take care of my tolerance better. The GH chamber size and style made that happen better by default. The Hopper fits a very tight description and once you get a taste of that, it's not really appetising looking at what is out there.

I would probably just build something like the G43 if I wanted to prioritise portable power, that's kind of how that came about (Grasshopper avoidance). But portable power is more of a happy convenience than a priority, being super stoned of an evening is fairly easy to manage. If I was a round-the-clock toker I would be more put out and probably have already scaled up my options. As is, the Xmax is fine. I got stuck with just it and its plastic mouthpiece for nearly two weeks and it was alright, tolerance was destroyed a couple of days after I returned and I have just kept doubling down haha. The biggest difference a functional Hopper offers me is less Sublimator time, and less monitoring of that damned 1hr timer. I don't think I'd be saying that even about the TM, and that's about the only reason I would consider it, just to see how wrong that could be.

For what its worth, I say the TM is absolutely better than the v3pro, it has much more power, similar to the Hopper, and I find it more convenient as a portable than TP80 (though I love mine too of course I am mostly using it session mode at home like a mobile desktop through water) The TM is my most versatile vape fitting pretty much every situation without any sacrifice really... GH had much more sacrifices for me in use, the size of it is in consequential because of all the flaws that ruined the experience for me... And the TM gives me some of the best vapor quality with all glass pathways... And yeah I think the G43 sort of sucks lol excited to try cloud connoisseur zenith instead soon!

Tweakz

For what its worth, I say the TM is absolutely better than the v3pro, it has much more power, similar to the Hopper, and I find it more convenient as a portable than TP80 (though I love mine too of course I am mostly using it session mode at home like a mobile desktop through water) The TM is my most versatile vape fitting pretty much every situation without any sacrifice really... GH had much more sacrifices for me in use, the size of it is in consequential because of all the flaws that ruined the experience for me... And the TM gives me some of the best vapor quality with all glass pathways... And yeah I think the G43 sort of sucks lol excited to try cloud connoisseur zenith instead soon!
totally agree with you . TM works like a rock . every time . huge delicious clouds and full extraction for one hit. I put my TMs above v3pro and IO (bought from August 2021 but no longer works)

slozukimc

Yeah it's a fair take. I've added more before reading this and I guess it alludes to me wanting what I had back. And that is in essence exactly right. But I didn't really feel abused at all by HL, (I've certainly witnessed many who obviously have felt like that) the Hopper was my go to to deal with my own existential crisis and also to celebrate good times, and also to cure boredom or whatever, and it was a welcome thing for it all the time. I thought it was a privilege to be able to have access to such a thing, because it was so far beyond what I thought of as viable (as many also said from the indigogo, because it wasn't viable ahah).

However, what it was doing was manipulating plant matter, and that can be replicated, and as I discovered with the Sublimator too it can be done in some different and amazing ways that cause unique experiences previously unknown with a common and familiar thing.
You can't unexperience these types of things, and so yes the convenience that the hopper presented to me was something that actually is difficult to describe at all, it has no analogy, it is purely an awesome concept in action.

Stuff like this takes a lot of considered effort to pull off, and the most difficult aspect of taking a unique niche item made by a closed group, is up-scaling. That is what broke this project, and with appropriate ambitions and awareness, it could be replicated in a matter of months and filling shelves in a year. It's rare to find someone who has the niche interest coupled with the industriousness to bring anything to mass market, who is also incredibly lucky and perfectly disciplined. It might happen eventually but it is not something to bet on. However things are trending in the right direction for the smarts to emerge. The bowle is an interesting example, as it is kind of stuck with the same drawbacks as the hopper by being an imitation form factor. The clickwheel was successful because it was not just unique it was caused using existing dynamics formed in some kind of natural evolution. It's incredibly basic to heat up some flower, it's a very basic concept that dates back beyond history. Maybe something can land that is actually fitting the description I've laid out of what I want (what I had but for the long term). I'm not really fussed by it, I'm at a state of tolerance where my CB2 receptors have receded behind cell walls and the rawbar from Dr Ganja is keeping it that way! I think oil pens are the worst example of a hopper alternate, and the fact that is the closest thing to an alternate is as telling as envisioning launching drops and getting air with a Taffee puck in my riding shorts. The Xmax V3 Pro can tide me over just fine when out and about (dynavap would become the bike vape), but what nearly anything can't do is keep up with the Sublimator day by day, while the hopper could. When you get a tolerance to the upper end of the power spectrum, all portables (which all of course work to some extent) do not work for me at all. The hopper did, plus it was way more convenient than any. That's all I ever cared about, I wanted it known that they pulled it off and it's a bit of a downer that they didn't quite do it.

The portable I'm happiest with as an alternate is the TUBOx, a Tetra could be worth a shot. I'd toss up between that and a TinyMight, but for now I just think they won't be enough of a step up from my Xmax V3 Pro, I get great ABV and decent results. It's super efficient with my Fury2/Xmax WPA mod, and works very well, if I were to take care of my tolerance better. The GH chamber size and style made that happen better by default. The Hopper fits a very tight description and once you get a taste of that, it's not really appetising looking at what is out there.

I would probably just build something like the G43 if I wanted to prioritise portable power, that's kind of how that came about (Grasshopper avoidance). But portable power is more of a happy convenience than a priority, being super stoned of an evening is fairly easy to manage. If I was a round-the-clock toker I would be more put out and probably have already scaled up my options. As is, the Xmax is fine. I got stuck with just it and its plastic mouthpiece for nearly two weeks and it was alright, tolerance was destroyed a couple of days after I returned and I have just kept doubling down haha. The biggest difference a functional Hopper offers me is less Sublimator time, and less monitoring of that damned 1hr timer. I don't think I'd be saying that even about the TM, and that's about the only reason I would consider it, just to see how wrong that could be.
Agreed and very well said. The Hopper and IO are absolutely the King of portables when they work. I still have a Ti OG and several batteries that work fine. I miss my IO and the customer service I often bragged about after ot’s release.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Since I jumped in late, I realized their custom batteries were the real weak link, and bought enough in a few sales orders they had. I’ll have to see if my (2) IO’s fail before my refrigerator stored spare batteries. Good luck to all.
There are some for sale on planetvape but they are expensive. I have some that still work, GHB2 and don’t know if I want to spend $100 dollars on batteries right now

Shit Snacks

Yeah okay cleaned the mouthpiece for airflow, hoping it wouldn't shut off on me once I could get it to turn on from the clicker, was only able to get one hit, amid dozens of clicks... even when it goes on, which it does do plenty, it then shuts right off after a few seconds on without making any vapor, repeatedly... so yeah giving up as now it's just worse, haha cold garbage, I don't feel like cleaning is going to help, I mean call me lately used mostly sitting there, if it needs regular cleaning there I feel like I don't even want to bother anymore, too tedious to use anyway (the clicker button, the loading and unloading, I just think it's an awful design)

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Yeah okay cleaned the mouthpiece for airflow, hoping it wouldn't shut off on me once I could get it to turn on from the clicker, was only able to get one hit, amid dozens of clicks... even when it goes on, which it does do plenty, it then shuts right off after a few seconds on without making any vapor, repeatedly... so yeah giving up as now it's just worse, haha cold garbage, I don't feel like cleaning is going to help, I mean call me lately used mostly sitting there, if it needs regular cleaning there I feel like I don't even want to bother anymore, too tedious to use anyway (the clicker button, the loading and unloading, I just think it's an awful design)
A working hopper barely needs cleaning. Your device sounds much like my SS io which is totally useless. Not much hope for a device in this state currently.
My Ti io on loan is cool running but otherwise okay. Quite a different fault, not as bad as intermittent power. Worth trying a legacy back-end to see if it is the back-end cutting out, small chance but I've seen that before. It's most likely the heater module which is no good.
The better performing hoppers only last so long anyway, sucks but that's the way it goes. They're only worth using in that unicorn state imo.

JBone65

A working hopper barely needs cleaning.
I hate to disagree, but sometimes it's necessary. IMO they absolutely require a basic weekly cleaning, due to multiple very fine screens, fine threads and small orifices, or the novice user will experience problems within a month or three. Effective cleaning procedures are also essential, to make sure air flows the same as when new. It's easy to overlook the two screen faces you can't see. I'm coming up on six years of mostly trouble free service. Admittedly, I'm pretty gentle with it, mostly use it natively, maybe 10-20 hits/day, but effective cleaning is the key to enjoyment and longevity IMO. Good weed produces sticky resin that will just sit there and get cooked over and over until you remove it.

637vape

I hate to disagree, but sometimes it's necessary. IMO they absolutely require a basic weekly cleaning, due to multiple very fine screens, fine threads and small orifices, or the novice user will experience problems within a month or three. Effective cleaning procedures are also essential, to make sure air flows the same as when new. It's easy to overlook the two screen faces you can't see. I'm coming up on six years of mostly trouble free service. Admittedly, I'm pretty gentle with it, mostly use it natively, maybe 10-20 hits/day, but effective cleaning is the key to enjoyment and longevity IMO. Good weed produces sticky resin that will just sit there and get cooked over and over until you remove it.

care to share what you do for cleaning?

mine doesn't get much use but i bring it out every so often, i've just been lightly cleaning the chamber/mouthpiece/threads occasionally following the instructions from HL, anything else i should be doing?

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Hopper cleaning in general depends upon one’s usage. If used regularly and heavily it will require frequent cleaning. The frontends - native or PFE, whichever is used - get gunked up. If you frequently change batteries the backend threads are susceptible to whatever is being vaped and the frequent battery changes. The heater and particularly the back of it can get gunked up over time and very difficult to clean; the only way I know how is to either soak the body in ISO or remove the heating chamber from the front of the body (which I did with my original Ti IO body stupidly using pliers and bent the edge or circumference of the heating chamber necessitating me to buy a replacement body). I use a disposable wide dental brush for all my vapes to clean after most uses however over time things do get dirty and warrant cleaning; backend less so than frontends and cleaning out the chamber and all frontend threads with light ISO. For the air holes I just blow into them from the outside and rotate the body while doing so (I don’t have an air gun or similar).

I’ve mentioned recently and I think a few others have in the past said they soak the body, either the whole thing or the front with the heating chamber, completely in ISO and let it dry for a while. I’ve never tried this however it might un-gunk anything inside or behind the heating chamber. I can’t rule out I won’t try this down the road and will do so with caution. :peace:

EDIT: and Blu-Tac is great to clean all threads too! I use this on other vapes as well.

JBone65

The easy trick I overlooked for years was to soak the MP in ISO long enough to dissolve resin then use a dull toothpick to clean the inside of the nose and the top of the mouthpiece screen.

When it's "clean" you can see more daylight thru the mouthpiece, and you should be able to draw air thru the entire unit almost as fast as you want.

If you don't soak it enough, resin will buildup on top of the screen and just inside the nose.....(like boogers). :lol: :tup:

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

A working hopper barely needs cleaning. Your device sounds much like my SS io which is totally useless. Not much hope for a device in this state currently.
My Ti io on loan is cool running but otherwise okay. Quite a different fault, not as bad as intermittent power. Worth trying a legacy back-end to see if it is the back-end cutting out, small chance but I've seen that before. It's most likely the heater module which is no good.
The better performing hoppers only last so long anyway, sucks but that's the way it goes. They're only worth using in that unicorn state imo.

Yeah it seems to be completely malfunctioning now, which is a shame because it was always working fine, and was hardly used really, I'm not sure another body or back end would work, since I don't have any other IO parts, don't they not work with regular grasshopper parts? And yeah the Ti grasshopper I got from VGZ was running cool, that's why I was able to use its back end with my SS body (which had its own hot back end that was fused to my original PA setup) at least...

I suppose I could try the cool Ti body with this IO back end if they ever work like that? To test failure point maybe if nothing else

I was not talking at all about cleaning the chamber and pathway of residue, I was only talking about the back end and thread cleaning there...

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I'm not sure another body or back end would work, since I don't have any other IO parts, don't they not work with regular grasshopper parts?
Io and og parts can be interchanged.

You need very good batts to run the io heater; batteries that will power an og may or may not run an io.

I've mentioned dousing the back end with contact cleaner. That is the "fix" for your dodgy intermittent clicker. An alternative is to dunk the back end in iso alcohol (at least 90%). Allow time to dry thoroughly.

The idea is an internal cleaning, not so much the threads.

This is a very easy step. I use a shot glass to dunk in, take it out and click a bunch of times, then let it dry.
The issue is chronic, so occasionally the dip has to be repeated. It is not a perfect fix, not a true repair.

This has been my experience, and a couple others' here.

Like you though, I find it is generally easier to grab a vape that works. :nod:

Shit Snacks

Io and og parts can be interchanged.

You need very good batts to run the io heater; batteries that will power an og may or may not run an io.

My OG batteries are boxed away, each only good for one bowl if even? I have three new batteries that came with the IO, one of them got torn because they're idiots who just threw it loose in a box with a sharp charger, I presume each of them is fine, never tried to use them in an old hopper body because mine is set up with the PA... So yeah if I franken with the TI body to test I will use the newer batteries of course.

I've mentioned dousing the back end with contact cleaner. That is the "fix" for your dodgy intermittent clicker. An alternative is to dunk the back end in iso alcohol (at least 90%). Allow time to dry thoroughly.

The idea is an internal cleaning, not so much the threads.

I understand what you're saying that it could be so dirty inside? But that seems unlikely considering how little it was used, unless it just happens from sitting there, which is so stupid haha so if that's normal I have no interest in maintaining that! But like I was saying, I don't really think it's the clicker itself, it's totally sporadic and it shuts off mid hit even after it turns on, doesn't that mean it must be the body actually??

This is a very easy step. I use a shot glass to dunk in, take it out and click a bunch of times, then let it dry.
The issue is chronic, so occasionally the dip has to be repeated. It is not a perfect fix, not a true repair.

This has been my experience, and a couple others' here.

Like you though, I find it is generally easier to grab a vape that works. :nod:

Haha yeah I'm just a little afraid of dunking electronic sections like that and if it's a regular thing there's really no point, I bought it thinking maybe it could become an out and about thing, I haven't been out and about in such a long time, but I really don't think I would grab this leaving the house even if it was working perfectly, just not useful native imo at this point I'd rather test Roffu there

Mr. Me2

Let me pay it forward. If you live in the US and have real need, my brother gave me 6 batteries. I have no idea of age or condition. Want to roll the the dice that some have some real juice left? They probably do….

First come, first served. And I’d prefer to send all 6 to one person, but I may split them up between 2. But this may stretch the life of some gh owner.

And I’m only posting on this thread cause I’m lazy. Pm if you’re interested. Thanks.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Let me pay it forward. If you live in the US and have real need, my brother gave me 6 batteries. I have no idea of age or condition. Want to roll the the dice that some have some real juice left? They probably do….

First come, first served. And I’d prefer to send all 6 to one person, but I may split them up between 2. But this may stretch the life of some gh owner.

And I’m only posting on this thread cause I’m lazy. Pm if you’re interested. Thanks.
PM’d. I’m in real need of some. It’s the vape I use the most because it’s my only on demand one that works well. The irony hahaha

I do not understand why the hopper io is discontinued and the OG Grasshopper not :shrug:
They both are

Last edited by a moderator:

Choices

Well call me crazy but I just ordered six batteries from hopper dot IO. I figure I will give it a few weeks to a month and then dispute the charge if I don’t hear anything. I ordered some a little while back and it took a bit but I did receive them. Plus I think they are down to just selling batteries and a handful of other accessories. When it is something without stock it won’t allow you to add it, showing an error code or it simply says “coming soon” and won’t allow one to even start the selection process.

Sooo…. If you decide to also “roll the hopper labs dice” use the code “late420” to take 25% off before shipping!

C’mon! Roll the dice!!! :lol::lol:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Well call me crazy but I just ordered six batteries from hopper dot IO. I figure I will give it a few weeks to a month and then dispute the charge if I don’t hear anything. I ordered some a little while back and it took a bit but I did receive them. Plus I think they are down to just selling batteries and a handful of other accessories. When it is something without stock it won’t allow you to add it, showing an error code or it simply says “coming soon” and won’t allow one to even start the selection process.

Sooo…. If you decide to also “roll the hopper labs dice” use the code “late420” to take 25% off before shipping!

C’mon! Roll the dice!!! :lol::lol:
I ordered some a few weeks ago. Wished I had the code. Idk if they will ever ship out. I have emailed them and no reply.

Top Bottom