Herbie V2 by Vape Engineering - 510 dry herb vaporizer

SquirrelMaster

Cant edit :)
Update
I need batteries. I purchased these.
No idea if they are any good.
Getting what I want, but my sanyo 18650 are not cutting it.

With the shorter coil, I did not have enough heat.

This means I am closer. Could not combust today with a full bowl, 2 screens on bottom with short coil.
Its down to shitty batteries per bowl.
Paramour reads .1 Ohms, Evic reads .15
Short coil unfolded is 60 mm or 2.4".

The last one I had was 2" or 100mm. This was the original refolded to square size.
Going to make one 80 mm and see what happens.

I really know nothing about these mod boxes.
It seems the smaller lower resistance coil is eating up the battery.

Testing is on hold until my batteries shoe up.
David
That's the battery that VE sells. I haven't looked up Mooch's review but if it's anything like the 26A or 28A it'll be another winner.

For anyone trying to order a Herbie and battery (without the Paramour), don't. That was the problem with my DHL order which was returned to VE. DHL took their sweet ass time (3 weeks). My Herbie should now arrive when I'm not home for 3 weeks :rolleyes:. I better not be missing parts or... I'll be waiting longer :lol:.

David Root

Today's thought.
A .005" t hick feeler gauge bent in a 7 stuck in the same side as the (-) coil.
This will make a baffle or diffuser so the heat does not go directly to the center of the load.
Hopefully it will create some air flow that will mix it up before getting to the bowl.
It will also block any radiant heat so Combust will be more difficult but I will still be able to keep the heat high for a good hit.

1/2" wide, perfect, same size as the mesh. It could also be tried as an upside down J.

Will give it a shot tonight. Batteries left Georgia.

David

Nils from Vape Engineering sent me a thank you for my time. Its appreciated.

Last edited:

Spleeeno

Horsin around
Since they seemed to copy the crafty oven perfectly for size, they should have added the diffuser like the Crafty.
gave me the idea of filling down and dropping in a 15mmx3mm fritted glass screen, but it does massively reduce airflow and just soaks up the heat, so you need to go way higher with the wattage/temp to get anything...absolutely not worth it.

Spleeeno,

ConvectCode1

That's the battery that VE sells. I haven't looked up Mooch's review but if it's anything like the 26A or 28A it'll be another winner.

For anyone trying to order a Herbie and battery (without the Paramour), don't. That was the problem with my DHL order which was returned to VE. DHL took their sweet ass time (3 weeks). My Herbie should now arrive when I'm not home for 3 weeks :rolleyes:. I better not be missing parts or... I'll be waiting longer :lol:.
Damn. Well that explains the incredible delay. Because the battery wasn’t inside a device? I guess I can semi understand but I’m sure VE didn’t just throw an unprotected battery in there. So weird that it’s cool to ship the battery when it may actually activate a device but if it’s separated from the device it’s prohibited. For what it’s worth you’re not missing A TON though I don’t have the Paramour mod like you do which could make all the difference in the world. Like others have posted it seems their heater build is too high and close to the herb. I’ve rebuilt the heater a couple of times and find that the thing really needs to be UNDERpowered or it will combust. I’ve got it dialed in in TC mode and it does well if you underheat it. Just very easy combustion. It’s still a very fun toy, waste of herb at first obviously…but cool to mess with mesh strips instead of coils. That totally sucks you’ve been waiting this long over a damn liOn battery. They could have just confiscated it and sent your package along. Lame. Hope it doesn’t take too long.
At least you didn’t order the maintenance kit that comes with a bunch of screens that are twice as big as they need to be and others that are clearly just big screens hand cut to make them slightly smaller. They’re all uneven etc. And with this thing combusting regularly, ya need the dang screens! Well built, I just think the heater needs big time tinkering.

Last edited:

David Root

Thank you for trying. I took a Crafty dosing capsule and made a diffuser. Put it in the bottom of the oven.
It was shit, junk, not worth my time.
gave me the idea of filling down and dropping in a 15mmx3mm fritted glass screen, but it does massively reduce airflow and just soaks up the heat, so you need to go way higher with the wattage/temp to get anything...absolutely not worth it.
Remembering the Ghost crucible. Small and light so it does not soak up much heat.

I THINK the diffuser needs to be below the oven above the coils. Stir up the air before it gets there, then no hot spotting.
could not think of anything to put inside friction fit, because with heating and cooling, noting will stay there.
Those discs used on some flame vaporizers may do it?

I think 80 to 100 mm is the length for the coil. Folded so its low to the deck and not too tall.

My latest coil is like top right one post 446. Once the diffuser is there, it will matter less about the coil as long as its not too tall.
14mm at the tallest is good.

David

David Root,
Reactions: BigJr48

Razhumikin

Thank you for trying. I took a Crafty dosing capsule and made a diffuser. Put it in the bottom of the oven.
It was shit, junk, not worth my time.

Remembering the Ghost crucible. Small and light so it does not soak up much heat.

I THINK the diffuser needs to be below the oven above the coils. Stir up the air before it gets there, then no hot spotting.
could not think of anything to put inside friction fit, because with heating and cooling, noting will stay there.
Those discs used on some flame vaporizers may do it?

I think 80 to 100 mm is the length for the coil. Folded so its low to the deck and not too tall.

My latest coil is like top right one post 446. Once the diffuser is there, it will matter less about the coil as long as its not too tall.
14mm at the tallest is good.

David
Check out the design of the iheat. Alan added a ss foil diffuser above the coil and below the top screen (held in place with friction by another screen). Its an elegant, brilliant design that works wonders at reducing hotspotting.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Some one said it above. "The Marshmallow is too close to the heat."
Too close to the campfire yeah, that was me! Have you tried any non mesh coils? Wasn't someone having less hotspotting with just a wire?

Check out the design of the iheat. Alan added a ss foil diffuser above the coil and below the top screen (held in place with friction by another screen). Its an elegant, brilliant design that works wonders at reducing hotspotting.
Agreed but I doubt a top screen diffuser would work well with S&B dosing capsules. Seems like it'd mostly just block the center holes and not get the chance to diffuse properly without more of a gap between any diffuser and the bottom of the capsule 🤔

fangorn

Yeah, let us know if using a screen in the bottom helps with better extraction

So...it's hard to say right now...

I put a rather small SS basket which fits not too badly in the capsule. It doesn't add too much metallic material. If I were to keep this configuration there, I would have to make it perfect. There, the screen moves slightly.

keeping the same settings, I had a black point because of the tunnel effect.

I had already had the idea of doing shorter prints... and that's what I do... I try to limit myself to 10 seconds maximum. I do more prints. I don't have big clouds. I have no blackheads. The avb is more uniform: less roasted, less carbonized particles, less still green particles.

That might be the way to go...
Why not, given the use for which I intend it...
But so far the taste is not great. I'll do a wash tomorrow to make sure I don't have any stray tastes.

I should receive my Paramour box tomorrow but it's a little late... I lost a bit of enthusiasm today!

In short, for the capsules, I cannot yet fully decide... to be continued!

SquirrelMaster

Damn. Well that explains the incredible delay. Because the battery wasn’t inside a device? I guess I can semi understand but I’m sure VE didn’t just throw an unprotected battery in there. So weird that it’s cool to ship the battery when it may actually activate a device but if it’s separated from the device it’s prohibited. For what it’s worth you’re not missing A TON though I don’t have the Paramour mod like you do which could make all the difference in the world. Like others have posted it seems their heater build is too high and close to the herb. I’ve rebuilt the heater a couple of times and find that the thing really needs to be UNDERpowered or it will combust. I’ve got it dialed in in TC mode and it does well if you underheat it. Just very easy combustion. It’s still a very fun toy, waste of herb at first obviously…but cool to mess with mesh strips instead of coils. That totally sucks you’ve been waiting this long over a damn liOn battery. They could have just confiscated it and sent your package along. Lame. Hope it doesn’t take too long.
At least you didn’t order the maintenance kit that comes with a bunch of screens that are twice as big as they need to be and others that are clearly just big screens hand cut to make them slightly smaller. They’re all uneven etc. And with this thing combusting regularly, ya need the dang screens! Well built, I just think the heater needs big time tinkering.
Yeah, it's a DHL policy to not ship cells contained within a device. I remember coming across it randomly and judging by my many interactions with incompetent DHL employees, they probably didn't even mention it to VE so I definitely don't blame them. I'm a little anxious about the performance after some bad reports but I'm a tinkerer and I look forward to manipulating the coil to find something that works really well.

ProfessionalHandJob

"A handjob is still a job, okay?"
I got frustrated trying to do TC with AF on the Herbie, and i'm no good at wattage. I have a Paramour on the way from HealthCabin though, figure I'll give it an honest shot with the mod VE pairs it with once that arrives.

David Root

Some success.
The "diffuser" fit like I thought. It works, but I think its too big, or too much mass in the area.

Pulling on it, I can get the little plastic tip so Hot I can't touch it and no combust.

It fits in the negative or ground slot in the deck.

Measures .8 tall and .5 on the end. SO. 1.3" of 1/2" wide, by .015" Shaped like an L. but not quite 90*

I only did one test. I can use thinner or thicker "diffuser"

I am now thinking of a disc on a post. Still anchors in the same place, but instead of a 1/2" wide piece holding the top up, it could be a small rod.

I would like to send a few of these flat bent diffusers to folks here. I know a few are on similar trail.
Send a PM with name and address I will send you Version 1.1 for free.
I can't do all the testing

Tell me what you think.

Working in TCR mode, I think the Higher the TCR # the less aggressive it is.
102 is the same as 1020 depending on the unit, mine only goes to 999.
What I want to do is set it to 190c just like any other.
So, I change TCR and WATTS to get the performance I am looking for.

I have been having good luck pulsing the button, but that is not what I am after.

I put in a decent battery from my Aspire wand and it works much better. I even got a "Low Battery" message.

David

Momor

Some success.
The "diffuser" fit like I thought. It works, but I think its too big, or too much mass in the area.

Pulling on it, I can get the little plastic tip so Hot I can't touch it and no combust.

It fits in the negative or ground slot in the deck.

Measures .8 tall and .5 on the end. SO. 1.3" of 1/2" wide, by .015" Shaped like an L. but not quite 90*

I only did one test. I can use thinner or thicker "diffuser"

I am now thinking of a disc on a post. Still anchors in the same place, but instead of a 1/2" wide piece holding the top up, it could be a small rod.

I would like to send a few of these flat bent diffusers to folks here. I know a few are on similar trail.
Send a PM with name and address I will send you Version 1.1 for free.
I can't do all the testing

Tell me what you think.

Working in TCR mode, I think the Higher the TCR # the less aggressive it is.
102 is the same as 1020 depending on the unit, mine only goes to 999.
What I want to do is set it to 190c just like any other.
So, I change TCR and WATTS to get the performance I am looking for.

I have been having good luck pulsing the button, but that is not what I am after.

I put in a decent battery from my Aspire wand and it works much better. I even got a "Low Battery" message.

David
Could we see a picture of your diffuser ?
I would probably be interested to get one (but I leave in France)

David Root

Looks like this...... 7 or an upside down L I don't have a host for pics now. Attachments are disabled, so I can't add mine.

I will send email a pic to anyone.

David

David Root,

purpletweed

Looks like this...... 7 or an upside down L I don't have a host for pics now. Attachments are disabled, so I can't add mine.

I will send email a pic to anyone.

David
Hey David, just letting you know that you can use imgur.com — they won’t let you embed the image, but you can share the link. There’s also imgbb.com, which is what I usually use and which does support embedding.

Thanks for this work on trying to figure a diffuser out. I’m definitely interested.

purpletweed,

ConvectCode1

Yeah, it's a DHL policy to not ship cells contained within a device. I remember coming across it randomly and judging by my many interactions with incompetent DHL employees, they probably didn't even mention it to VE so I definitely don't blame them. I'm a little anxious about the performance after some bad reports but I'm a tinkerer and I look forward to manipulating the coil to find something that works really well.
Yeah it’s great for tinkering for sure. It’s built incredibly solid, to say the least. Just like any 510 or flame powered, it takes tinkering and dialing in…but I’ve got it set up so it’s ripping pretty good in just TC mode. I just keep the TC lower than the recommended high of 337F. I think it’s built with the potential to be as good as anyone wants to build it’s heater to be. The maintenance kit by VE comes with a lot of SS strips….they might be slightly too tall for the stock build on the Herbie, I know you can get mesh strips for building pretty much anywhere. The cooling balls are great until you combust a time or three. Tons of potential. And again, I don’t even have the proper Paramour mod set up so my results really aren’t truly valid exactly.

ConvectCode1,
Reactions: Grass Yes

pudgewack

I wanted to chime in and say I received my v2 and Paramour earlier this week. I have not been able to put it through it paces yet as I am having some respiratory issues, but I did get a chance to try it last night. I am really impressed with the build quality. It feels like a very high end vape when paired with the Paramour.

I tried to go easy on the vape based on everything I have read along with my chest cold. I also used some old S&B dosing caps, but I am normally not a fan of those. I used TCR 1020. I started out at 25w, and slowly increased to 40w. I keep the temp at 380 F the entire time. Not the best vapor, but it did pump out some small clouds. The ABV was pretty evenly browned. The flavor was not good though. It had a metallic taste, which I attribute to the S&B dosing capsules. But I am looking forward to trying this more and pushing it a little harder to see what it can do.

It does appear the mesh is too close to the load. I would like to make the same shape, but reduce the height of the mesh by roughly 50%. I have never tried anything like this, so not sure how it will impact the vaping experience. But I am excited to give it a try.

David Root

Folding the coil is easy. If you eff it up, unfold or get another piece.

I am an old mechanic and weldor. I have fat fingers, this is as small as I can handle.

13mm x 13mm seems to make good squares and room for the diffuser.

fangorn

That's it... I received the Paramour today...

Uh sorry but... how do you adjust the watts in TC with the Paramour??
I can adjust the temperature (in farenheit unfortunately for me...) but not the watts... I thought I read that some of you adjust the temperature and the watts... but maybe I got myself deceived...?

fangorn,

David Root

Herbie lives.

Heat shield or Diffuser works.

I can get through 1/2. Then Things in the bowl get thin. I stir then it is OK.
Its like there is too much room. So I put a top of a crafty on top of what is left . It worked.

So I tried to pack it like my crafty. It won't pack. If you get any herb on the rim of the bowl, it keeps the top from going all the way on. If the holes line up, its all good. This may be why I am having good luck with capsules. Proper pack.

I think the load should be like a piece of felt. All even and consistent right to the edge so hot air can go through all of it.
I have a Flower Pot, so the convection thing is not new.

If you hold the coils red long enough, the shield gets red. I don't let it get that hot.

For settings, I took the top off.

Set at what they suggest. Hold the button and see how long it takes and how red the coils get.
Mess with the settings to get it a low cherry red glow. This is a starting point. It takes 10 seconds to get red, then stays for the next button press and the hit is good. Make it a long one, the longer, the better.
David

MedicinalMonkeyWrench

Both of my heater mesh has hot spotted and discoloured thanks to the Paramour. Are the mesh strips something I can only purchase from you @Vape Engineering or would I be able to source these in my own country?

What I really want is a sheet of mesh so I can coil a strip but incorporate legs, all in one piece.

MedicinalMonkeyWrench,

Trackrat

Herbie lives.

Heat shield or Diffuser works.

I can get through 1/2. Then Things in the bowl get thin. I stir then it is OK.
Its like there is too much room. So I put a top of a crafty on top of what is left . It worked.

So I tried to pack it like my crafty. It won't pack. If you get any herb on the rim of the bowl, it keeps the top from going all the way on. If the holes line up, its all good. This may be why I am having good luck with capsules. Proper pack.

I think the load should be like a piece of felt. All even and consistent right to the edge so hot air can go through all of it.
I have a Flower Pot, so the convection thing is not new.

If you hold the coils red long enough, the shield gets red. I don't let it get that hot.

For settings, I took the top off.

Set at what they suggest. Hold the button and see how long it takes and how red the coils get.
Mess with the settings to get it a low cherry red glow. This is a starting point. It takes 10 seconds to get red, then stays for the next button press and the hit is good. Make it a long one, the longer, the better.
David
I'm following this guy. ☝️ thank you, David.

Top Bottom